Facebook Software Engineering Interview Questions

3.3

345 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

The processes started with a very quick phone screening that went over my interests, why I wanted to work for Facebook, etc, which was followed up by one or two phone interviews in which I was asked to enter code into a browser and answer a few technical questions. They also asked a few questions about my resume. I took a flight to their on-site interview which included a gorgeous hotel and generous compensation for food, etc. The on-site interview was a few hours but it flew by. Some interviewers seemed experienced and others seemed like they didn't know what they were doing in the interview room. Everyone I interacted with (from phone screening to the actual interviews) seemed very organized and the entire interview process was extremely smooth. I greatly appreciated their coordination and team effort.

Interview Questions
  • Most difficult questions were around systems design since the question was extremely broad, in which I was supposed to write/draw on a white board for 30-45 minutes explaining what the concept was about. Another unexpected question involved the trie data structure, it wasn't too hard, but I've never heard of it.   Answer Question

I didn't want to commute from San Francisco every day and the culture seemed a bit off. Some interviewers were incredible to talk to, however others seemed very arrogant which isn't who I would want to work with.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter in LinkedIn and started interview process. He was transparent, prompt and supporting during the process. He updated me every on every step and details and he was prompt: getting feedback after 3 hours from phone interview speaks for itself. Then I had on-site interview, three interviewer liked my answers, system design really like my design and thinking, but apparently one of the interviewer didn't like my coding style and I was asked to come for one more interview just to check the coding part again. So tip: use whiteboard better, apparently working and clean code is not enough it needs to look clean on board as well :) Overall process was positive. But, I had a feeling that some interviewers are really un-experienced and focus on wrong things. Also big difference from other companies: they expect you to be really fast (read - you need to know answer upfront). If you don't know answer upfront, but come up with solution after thinking, trying, making misatkes and optimizing - it doesn't count, at least it didn't in my case. Try to solve my problem below (if you don't know answer already), implement, test it on board in 15-20 minutes.
    Advice for FB: train your interviewers to focus on skills, NOT memorized skills.

I have offer from big companies/competitors, so I will just go with them.

Interview Questions
    • Question is verbose, uses search engine, string matching etc., but at the end boils down to this: There is two dimensional array where each sub array (row) is sorted, i.e.

[[1 1000 2000]
      [20 10001 5000]
      [55 10002 222222]]

Find a minimum range contain a number from each row. For above array it should be (1000-1002) range.
        View Answers (5)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook.

Went onsite for the interview. I was asked regex matching. The recruiters were pretty nice. The interviewer was grim and did not give any reaction. I thought I did well but didn't get the job.

Software Engineering Interview

Two coding questions:
    1) print binary tree level by level
    2) regular expression matching

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook.

First round interview, 45 mins long

Interview Questions
    • How would you multiply two strings: "123 * "45", without any casting.   View Answers (7)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

After I talked through phone with recruiter, I got interview for coding question. The coding question is easy, just use recursion to solve it. But time is quite tight, I could not finish the code in time as I talked too much with the interviewers.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

A on-campus interview lasting about 35 mins. The interviewer is a man with red nail and red hair. Just asked some background questions at first and then start asking the technique questions. It is not a difficult one.

Interview Questions
    • Give a set of objects and a function. Pass two objects to that function and it can tell you whether one object points to another one. Find one object that is pointed by all other objects.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I knew based on the reactions of the interviewers that it was very probably a bust, but overall a good experience and something I will learn from. Very disappointing in the LA area - and to work on their super high scalability issues but such is Life.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

The whole process took around 6 weeks. I did my first phone screen in beginning of January and had my onsite in February. Involved algorithm and design problems. Not too hard.

It was a very good offer so din't have to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

It was an on-campus interview in CMU. I went to one of the job affairs of the university, and received an email about the interview within a week.

Facebook also held a candidate reception in one of the plazas near CMU campus. We got the chance to know our interviewers in advance to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
    • As for the interview itself, I was asked several general questions about my projects (nothing too special, really). The coding question is a standard regular expression matching one which you can find on LeetCode. Since I'm still doing my Master program, I haven't yet reached that far on LeetCode. I did solve the question in the end after the interviewer gave me some hint...But I don't think I did a very good job.   Answer Question