Facebook Software Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

There are two phone screens followed by a day of on-site interviews which consist of technical interviews similar to the phone screens but also one on culture and another on system architecture.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, push all non-zero elements to the front.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online via Facebook web page and after few days I was contacted via recruiter. During HR interview I was asked one coding problem very generic and then as next step a scheduled interview with team member for more coding questions. Time was around 45 minutes for only 1 question whch I answered but not very efficiently.

Interview Questions

• Generate a subset of a known list of objects. This subset should consider all elements randomly. Consider time complexity   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

HR sent me email to let me choose to interview onsite or through phone.
    I choosed to do it on site. Everything was great, we had good chat at there.

The whole process tooks about 45 minutes in a small room. I was asked to code on a white wall.
    The question was not that hard, but I was too nervous to code it with several obvious bug - although I figure them out by myself.

I got rejected in the next day for no reason. I've heard that they are looking for bugs-free programmer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

My friend referred me, and then a recruiter contacted me after several days. A phone screen interview was scheduled two weeks later. About 1 week, the recruiter told me I didn't pass the interview.

Interview Questions

• write a algorithm to calculate the running time for a sequence of tasks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook (West Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I went campus career fair and give the resume. I wait one month and got nothing. So I changed to ask for reference and got a interview after one week.

Interview Questions

• build a large number structure with add function   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I emailed a recruiter my resume stating that I would like to intern at Facebook over the Summer. I got a call back in about a week. She asked me "Why Facebook" and to describe one of my favorite projects. After about 15 minutes she said she would move me on to the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why Facebook
      Describe previous projects
      what would be a perfect internship

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The time between indicating to the recruiter that I was interested to the date of the final set of onsite interviews was about 1 month.

I'm local to Facebook HQ, so for the initial screening interview I was given the option to do it over the phone or onsite (I chose the latter). The interviewer asked me about my recent work history, and asked me to solve a couple of coding problems.

I returned a couple of weeks later for 5 onsite interviews, which consisted of 2 coding, 2 design, and 1 fit interview. Most of the interviews were good experiences, except for one where I unfortunately got stuck on a problem and the interviewer just sat there watching me while I struggled.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a url-shortening service?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Initial contact by hr. Phone screen for thirty minutes. They just go by syntax so unless you are a college graduate or prepare with focus it's not possible to break into. Even the offered solution even if it works may not be liked by the interviewer. It's a dicey game. Also it feels like they want you to join if you have any idea for them, not that they have a project in mind for you, so I doubt the job is sustainable.

Interview Questions

• Find out if substring of given length exists in another string. Length and substring can vary.   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I didn't end up getting an offer.

Due to NDA I cannot explicitly write down the questions, but look at the last 150 questions in Glassdoor and CareerCup and you'll do fine (I did fine in the coding rounds, get to that in a bit).

Usual advice: Do a lot of white-boarding for questions and be ready to talk extensively about your projects and architecture and design.

Screening Round:

I applied to Facebook by getting connected to a recruiter through a colleague and friend. The process started in Seattle and I opted for a in-person onsite interview for the screening round (they have this option for locals in Seattle/California).

The interview went well i.e. I figured out how to solve the question in optimal time and space complexity. I made some mistakes here and there while writing the solution down but the interviewer didn't seem to mind. Contrary to what I had heard, he wasn't too anal about syntax (also helped that I write in C# he wasn't very familiar with it)

Onsite Round:

I received an email from the recruiter that they wanted to move forward and call me onsite. I was like, cool!

I took around 2 weeks to prepare and also tried to do design questions. I felt a bit under prepared around design and tried to make up for it in the last few weeks by watching videos around cloud architecture (and open source stuff like Hadoop, Kafka and Storm).

Onsite was pretty straightforward. First round was a career fit/discussion and I did pretty well (I think). It was mainly some behavioral questions and a lot diagrams around the architecture in my current and previous projects.

Second round was the one that I messed up.
    The question was around designing an existing Facebook feature (as a hint, think about the various add-dons you see on FB and instagram like Chat, Search, latest friend related news or popular links). When you really dig into designing this feature, its quite complicated and requires a reasonable amount of knowledge around distributed data storage etc. etc.

You need to nail this round to get into Facebook (in my personal opinion). I'm guessing they will adjust their expectations based on your years of experience.

There was a lunch which was informal and two more coding rounds where they asked questions that were very similar to the ones I had practiced. I made some silly mistakes here and there but again (due to practice) came up with optimal time/space complexity answers.

Got my result exactly one week from the my onsite date. No offer. But learnt a lot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Waltham, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

First round telephone interview, it lasted about 1hour, not very difficult. The engineer is very helpful. After you finished your codes, he might change the request and made you modify your codes.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tree breadth first search.
      2. Palindrome, ignore numbers and whitespace.

1 Answer