Facebook

Average Difficulty
332 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – It was an on-campus interview in CMU. I went to one of the job affairs of the university, and received an email about the interview within a week.

Facebook also held a candidate reception in one of the plazas near CMU campus. We got the chance to know our interviewers in advance to ask any questions.

Interview Question – As for the interview itself, I was asked several general questions about my projects (nothing too special, really). The coding question is a standard regular expression matching one which you can find on LeetCode. Since I'm still doing my Master program, I haven't yet reached that far on LeetCode. I did solve the question in the end after the interviewer gave me some hint...But I don't think I did a very good job.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend. Got a phone call within 2 days from a recruiter. An interview was set up with the hiring manager of the team I interviewed for. Standard data structures and algorithms screen. Passed that pretty easily. I had 2 more phone calls and one onsite. Overall pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Question – Not that difficult but was asked to compute the number of ways to make change for 100 dollars when an arbitrary coin from the set (5c, 10c, 25c) has to be the smallest amount of change given.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – i decided to join a a smaller startup.

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details – (Front End Developer)

After going to a conference, and talking with several people from Facebook who also attended, I was contacted via email to see if I was interested in doing an interview.

I said yes, and got my first phone interview a few days later. In a shared code environment I needed to do a recursion assignment, and also create a polyfill. It went okay, although I wasn't happy with my performance on the polyfill. This took about 40 minutes.

The more surprised I was that they asked me for a second phone interview, whereby I also had to do a recursion question. I made it harder then necessary for myself, which was unfortunate.

After this I was invited to Facebook HQ, and had to do 4 interviews. Interviews were about recursion, closures, css, implementations. Unfortunately I wasn't good enough for Facebook, so that got me messed up for a month or so. I thought I did pretty good, but needed too much time to get going.

The recruiters and interviewers were great. The process went really smooth, and comfortable.

Interview Question – Questions about recursion, css positioning, what would you like to do at Facebook, and closures.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – Overall the process is very fast and all the interviewers are very nice.
It take 3 weeks to finish all the interviews (include christmas and new year holidays).
I took 1 phone screen + 2 coding + 1 system design + 1 research interview( for PHD ).
All the coding questions are the common questions you could meet them easily when you read " crack the coding interview" or surf GeeksforGeeks.com, and there was no brainteaser.
The system design problem is kind of hard, because there are no right or wrong answers. I think I didn't perform that well in this round, because I am not very experienced in large system design.
The research interview mainly focus on my research project, and we also had a small coding part, I did well on that.
Honestly, I am kind of surprise that I did not get offer from Facebook, maybe there were some requirements that I did not match.

Interview Question – Overall Facebook's interview questions are interesting and not hard. All the interviewers are knowledgable and nice to talk to.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Interview Details – I told them that I was on deadline with another offer from another top-tier Silicon Valley company, but even without special fast-tracking we managed to finish everything extremely quickly. On campus screen to onsite interview done within the same week and got my offer shortly afterwards!

Interview Question – A bunch of pointer arithmetic and bit flipping questions, in the same interview as some dynamic programming problems   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – New grad, so little if any negotiation

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter at Facebook. She told me that my background is very impressive and asked me if I would be interested in a software engineer position. I said that I would be excited and she scheduled the next round of interview with a Facebook engineer. It wasn't an on-site interview but a phone screening interview right before one.

The engineer first asked me why I would want to work at Facebook. Then we moved on to two technical questions. The first one was merging two sorted arrays (both length n) in the most efficient way when the latter of the arrays have buffer size 2n.

The second question was writing a function that checks if a tree is a binary search tree. For the second question, I got the right idea of using in-order traversal to check if it is a binary search but couldn't finish the implementation on time. After the interview, I wrote it on a editor myself and was sad to find out that it was not that complex at all.

Anyway I am still waiting for a reply and I hope I could proceed to on-site interview. :)

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Solved their online puzzle, got contacted by campus recruiter, scheduled phone interview, went on-site for 2nd round interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, I solved all the problems but I think I was too slow on the first one, which goes like:
Given an array of numbers, they are arranged so that the a[0] is in the 1st bucket, a[1]a[2] are in the 2nd bucket, a[3]a[4]a[5] is in the 3rd bucket and so on. The question is then: given a number, you need to return if it is in any bucket or not.
  View Answers (7)

Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Interview Details – I uploaded my CV in their system and got contacted by a recruiter. In the initial phone screen we discussed my interests and strength and the recruiter got back to me about a group that sounded like a good fit.

Since I was local I did the first technical interview directly on site. It took about 45min. My interviewer was not directly associated with the group that I talked about with the recruiter. But he did take my background into account when asking questions.
It went pretty well and a couple of days later, they invited me back for a full day of interviews.

The full day interviews were mostly general coding questions and one architecture session.
Although this time, I was talking directly to the people from the group were I saw a fit with my background and interests, unfortunately the interviewers did not ask any related questions. They kept strictly to (I guess) Facebook approved coding questions. Those were very low level and I did only perform moderately well I think.

The architecture session went much better and was almost related to my background.

After the full day of interviews it was pretty clear that this was not a good fit. They confirmed that a couple of days later and the interview process stopped there.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult part were not the coding question itself but that they were the kind of questions where you have to be recall a lot from basic computer science classes. Things you tend to forget if you have already been working for a couple of years. But then again, that was not necessarily unexpected.   View Answer

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details – Fairly standard. 4 technical rounds and 1 phone interview in a period of 2-3 weeks. NDA got my hands tied.

Interview Question – NDA got my hands tied.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Interview Details – HR reach out to me from LinkedIn, and take one phone interview and then onsite. Though I didn't get offer from facebook, but I really enjoy the interview experience with Facebook, The HR is so nice! They booked two-night stay for me in Manhat, and can directly walk to Facebook in 5mins from the hotel.

Interview Question – all the questions are normal questions but I have some bugs and then got rejected.   Answer Question