Facebook

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.2

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

On campus Interview, they eventually set up a date, and had a 40 minute interview. it was through our campus recruiting so it was a fairly easy process. They also had a reception with free food. Interview wasn't very difficult though I didn't get an offer, so they must have been looking for something else.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

I was contacted after giving my resume at a job fair. I had one phone interview with an engineer which had a fairly straightforward interview problem to solve on an online coding website. Then I was invited to interview at one of their larger offices (I chose Seattle), I was flown out and interviewed on a day that 13 other people were interviewing as well. That day I got breakfast and lunch at the company cafeteria, and had interviews with 3 engineers. One asked me how I would implement, create and solve a maze. One asked me to code a translation from base 26 to decimal.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would implement, in OO code, a maze. Then, given that implementation, to design an algorithm to solve that maze. Then, how would I create a random maze from scratch with an algorithm.   View Answer

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

First got one phone interview invitation from a recruiter and it went fairly well. I heard back from my recruiter the next day to set up onsite interview. The onsite one includes 4 interviews (it was 3 before) and two of them are completely technical.For the other two, a mix of behavior and technical questions. The coding problems are not very hard but make sure your code is clean and bug-free.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected. They care about if you fit in the culture as well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

I turned in my résumé at a University hiring event and heard back within a week. A phone call was set up for the end of the week. It was meant to be a 45 min phone call but ran another 15 mins. I felt like they paired me with someone that was out of the scope of my prior experience. They are really looking for someone to hop onto on stack.

Interview Questions
    • Choose the best structure and implement it to store a pre-fix line of code i.e. + - 3 3 4 5   View Answers (2)

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

After applying online I got a very casual recruiting email a few weeks later reaching out about a specific product engineering position, in fact I wasn't sure if it was real (wasn't addressed to me), but I looked up the recruiter and she was listed on linked in as employee of Facebook, so I responded. It took a while to decide if she could continue as my recruiter or if I needed to go through a university specific recruiter, but once my first phone interview was setup the process moved quite quickly.

The first phone interview was a 45 minute coding interview. Pretty standard for the big companies. I completed 2 questions. What was the most unique about this process, is the feedback from that initial interview was shared with me by the recruiter - giving me that so I can improve on it for the in person interview, which I really think is a great reflection of Facebook's open culture.

Facebook, like Google, generally doesn't hire for specific teams, however, they took the time to find a project at Facebook I would find especially interesting and fill my in person interview with people on that team so I could ask questions about it.

Facebook has three types of interviews which they call Ninja, Pirate and Jedi (because they are the best kind of dorks). I had two Ninja Interviews and one Jedi. Ninja is typical coding interview where they ask 1-2 coding questions. The Jedi interview is culture fit where they ask you how you work on team, but you will also spend half the time coding. I think Pirate are focused on distributed systems type questions, but I was informed that they often skip these questions for New Grads without any explicit experience, because it's something most people learn from working in the industry and they don't get strong data from those interviews.

It's also worth noting that during my job search I had coding interviews with 18 people and 17 of them were men, Facebook is the one company where I had a technical interview with a woman, although it was still the Jedi interview.

I applied to Google at the same time as Facebook and their process moved a little faster, so I got an offer from Google the day before I went in for an in person interview, thankfully I had enough time to decide for Facebook to get their counter offer in, and the recruiter's care in setting me up with that team was a big part in what made me decide to go with Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • Signed an NDA not to reveal questions, I did feel well prepared by studying questions/strategies from Cracking the Coding Interview   Answer Question
    I had looked up new grad offers for 2014 before I received the offer, and was given exactly the standard, which was also the highest offer I received, so I did not negotiate.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

First round interview: Interviewed face to face at the University.
    Some general questions like why do I want to work at Facebook. Then I was asked 2 questions. One was a Fibonacci series and the other one was about an array with some special properties (I can't recall but I think it had some random zeroes interpolated). I stumbled on the second question which is why I guess didn't move forward.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to find a Fibonacci number. It wasn't Fibonacci per se but very similar. It is solved the same way.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

I initially applied in early November, 2013. I got a reply from one of the recruiters about a week later. After talking to the recruiter on the phone and emailing back and forth for a while, she realized that I was still in school (graduating mid 2014) and transferred me to another recruiter.. or rather a bunch of different recruiters who couldn't seem to figure out who I should be talking to. Eventually we got everything sorted out (now in January 2014) and I did two phone interviews. They both went well and shortly after, they arranged for me to fly to Seattle for a "university day". They put me up in a nice hotel across the street from the office and, of course, paid for meals and everything. They even set up direct deposit for the reimbursement, which was nice.

The day of the interviews, I arrived in the morning and signed in and then I was met by a couple recruiters. There were also a few intern candidates but no other full time candidates. I had 3 interviews that were all fairly interesting. The first one was mostly a fit interview, the second was the in depth coding interview and the third was a combination of talking about experience and doing some coding.

After the interviews, we did a tour of the office and then we met with a bunch of engineers for a Q&A session. This was a really great way to learn about the company and see how everything works there. It seemed like a really great place to work with lots of really smart engineers though I was mildly concerned about the apparent lack of organization.

In the afternoon, one of the recruiters took us downtown for Seattle's "Underground Tour" which was really neat and later they took us out to a super fancy Italian restaurant which was excellent. Overall, it was a really great day.

About a week later, I got an email from one of the recruiters asking for references and my transcript. I have an almost perfect transcript (straight A's) and I was certain that my references would say nice things about me so I felt that I had the job in the bag at this point. One of my references forwarded me the questionnaire they sent him. It was just generic questions like "How did you know him?", "Would you hire him again?", "What were his strongest/weakest attributes?" This reference included his answers which were all extremely positive, re-enforcing the idea in my mind that I was going to get an offer.

A week or so after this, I heard from the recruiter again asking me to do more phone interviews. Supposedly, it was "great news that [they] still [wanted] to move forward with [me]" but I didn't really take it that way. Frankly, I find it rude and unprofessional that they would waste the time of my references if they weren't already prepared to make an offer. However, I, of course, went through with the phone interviews, uncertain what they could possibly learn about me that they hadn't already figured out in the first five interviews.

The first of the second round of phone interviews (6th interview overall) went very poorly as the interviewer has a very strong accent and a horrible phone line (lots of static). I could barely understand what he was asking which made it very difficult. I contacted the recruiter about this and she seemed at least somewhat understanding. She then booked another phone interview which went quite well, as far as I could tell.

Finally, the week after this (now into March), I got a rejection letter which I was rather dumbfounded by. I can't for the life of me figure out where I went wrong or why they would bother contacting references if they weren't prepared to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so I'm not sure that I am allowed to talk about it. Mostly fairly general questions, e.g. data structures, algorithms. Sometimes there's an emphasis on large data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

I had an in person first round screen interview. Then I had a second round which consisted of 4 interviews. 2 coding interviews, 1 higher level designing a system interview and a personality fit+coding interview. Topics covered included, scheduling for the designing a system, fast sorting for arrays with structure, binary search, recursion and bit wise operations.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question on longest common subsequence (dynamic programming).   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in February 2013.

Initially applied online, but did not hear back after a couple weeks. Asked a friend to submit a referral and I was contacted within 24 hours. I was working up against a deadline, and they were able to set up the phone screen quickly. After the phone screen, I was notified they would like to bring me on-site.

The on-site interviews went quickly and smoothly. During one of my interviewers, I had to inform the interviewer twice in a row that I had seen the question before on an interview (which was embarrassing, but we quickly moved on to a question I hadn't seen).

After contacting my references, Facebook e-mailed me about 10 days later to let me know they were going to make an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Employee referral, 2 weeks later a email from the recruiter. Schedule a phone interview for 1 week from recruiter contact. Software engineer contacted me and told me about what he did and asked me what I like to do and then onto the coding problem. Everyone was very friendly