Facebook

Getting the Interview

21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – First round interview: Interviewed face to face at the University.
Some general questions like why do I want to work at Facebook. Then I was asked 2 questions. One was a Fibonacci series and the other one was about an array with some special properties (I can't recall but I think it had some random zeroes interpolated). I stumbled on the second question which is why I guess didn't move forward.

Interview Question – I was asked to find a Fibonacci number. It wasn't Fibonacci per se but very similar. It is solved the same way.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I initially applied in early November, 2013. I got a reply from one of the recruiters about a week later. After talking to the recruiter on the phone and emailing back and forth for a while, she realized that I was still in school (graduating mid 2014) and transferred me to another recruiter.. or rather a bunch of different recruiters who couldn't seem to figure out who I should be talking to. Eventually we got everything sorted out (now in January 2014) and I did two phone interviews. They both went well and shortly after, they arranged for me to fly to Seattle for a "university day". They put me up in a nice hotel across the street from the office and, of course, paid for meals and everything. They even set up direct deposit for the reimbursement, which was nice.

The day of the interviews, I arrived in the morning and signed in and then I was met by a couple recruiters. There were also a few intern candidates but no other full time candidates. I had 3 interviews that were all fairly interesting. The first one was mostly a fit interview, the second was the in depth coding interview and the third was a combination of talking about experience and doing some coding.

After the interviews, we did a tour of the office and then we met with a bunch of engineers for a Q&A session. This was a really great way to learn about the company and see how everything works there. It seemed like a really great place to work with lots of really smart engineers though I was mildly concerned about the apparent lack of organization.

In the afternoon, one of the recruiters took us downtown for Seattle's "Underground Tour" which was really neat and later they took us out to a super fancy Italian restaurant which was excellent. Overall, it was a really great day.

About a week later, I got an email from one of the recruiters asking for references and my transcript. I have an almost perfect transcript (straight A's) and I was certain that my references would say nice things about me so I felt that I had the job in the bag at this point. One of my references forwarded me the questionnaire they sent him. It was just generic questions like "How did you know him?", "Would you hire him again?", "What were his strongest/weakest attributes?" This reference included his answers which were all extremely positive, re-enforcing the idea in my mind that I was going to get an offer.

A week or so after this, I heard from the recruiter again asking me to do more phone interviews. Supposedly, it was "great news that [they] still [wanted] to move forward with [me]" but I didn't really take it that way. Frankly, I find it rude and unprofessional that they would waste the time of my references if they weren't already prepared to make an offer. However, I, of course, went through with the phone interviews, uncertain what they could possibly learn about me that they hadn't already figured out in the first five interviews.

The first of the second round of phone interviews (6th interview overall) went very poorly as the interviewer has a very strong accent and a horrible phone line (lots of static). I could barely understand what he was asking which made it very difficult. I contacted the recruiter about this and she seemed at least somewhat understanding. She then booked another phone interview which went quite well, as far as I could tell.

Finally, the week after this (now into March), I got a rejection letter which I was rather dumbfounded by. I can't for the life of me figure out where I went wrong or why they would bother contacting references if they weren't prepared to make an offer.

Interview Question – I signed an NDA so I'm not sure that I am allowed to talk about it. Mostly fairly general questions, e.g. data structures, algorithms. Sometimes there's an emphasis on large data.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had an in person first round screen interview. Then I had a second round which consisted of 4 interviews. 2 coding interviews, 1 higher level designing a system interview and a personality fit+coding interview. Topics covered included, scheduling for the designing a system, fast sorting for arrays with structure, binary search, recursion and bit wise operations.

Interview Question – There was a question on longest common subsequence (dynamic programming).   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initially applied online, but did not hear back after a couple weeks. Asked a friend to submit a referral and I was contacted within 24 hours. I was working up against a deadline, and they were able to set up the phone screen quickly. After the phone screen, I was notified they would like to bring me on-site.

The on-site interviews went quickly and smoothly. During one of my interviewers, I had to inform the interviewer twice in a row that I had seen the question before on an interview (which was embarrassing, but we quickly moved on to a question I hadn't seen).

After contacting my references, Facebook e-mailed me about 10 days later to let me know they were going to make an offer.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Interview Details – Employee referral, 2 weeks later a email from the recruiter. Schedule a phone interview for 1 week from recruiter contact. Software engineer contacted me and told me about what he did and asked me what I like to do and then onto the coding problem. Everyone was very friendly

Interview Question – group anagrams   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was selected for an on-campus screening interview. The interview was pretty easy compared to other companies. After the initial ice breakers, was asked an open ended question related to area of my interest followed by 2 coding questions to be solved on a paper. Basic questions testing if you can write code and know data structures. Was informed in a couple of hours that I am selected for on-site interview.

The process to select the dates and flights, hotels was smooth. There were about 30-40 other new grad candidates and intern on the day of interview. Every new grad had just 3 coding interviews one of which was behavioral interview for checking if the candidate would be a good fit. The other two were ninja coding interviews. I had two coding questions in the behavioral round which I answered well. Two question in the first ninja round which were pretty wasy and I coded pretty quickly but messed up a basic thing in the first question. Had time for only one question in the second ninja round. This was the only tougher question in the interviews and I got the ideal answer in the end but didn't have time to finish the coding part.

I think the basic mistake in the second interview and the third interview messed up my chances. I feel the company puts importance on how fast you come up with perfect answer. That's the questions are simple. So you are expected to be quick thinking and are expected to not mess up something so simple.

There was lunch, awesome tour of campus and two tech talk after the interviews. This was one of the best interview days I had this season (I have had 4 on-site interview till now). No all day long torture of interviews and pretty awesome talks and tour giving an inside view of the company. Would interview again if given a chance!

Interview Question – I would not give the actual questions given the NDA I signed.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2012.

Interview Details – First a phone screen, then 3 onsite interviews, 45 minutes each
Phone screen - Print a tree, level by level. Write all solutions for a^3+b^3 = c^3 + d^3, where a, b, c, d lie between [0, 10^5]
On site - 1. Print a list in reverse 2. Stress interview 3. Maximum profit for buying selling a stock given an array of prices for n days. Isomorphic trees

Interview Question – Isomorphic trees   View Answers (3)

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2012.

Interview Details – - Since I was applying for Mobile Front-End Engineer, I had to code a 4x4 tiles puzzle game compatible on a mobile device (either web app, iOS, or Android).

- One formal 10 minutes phone call about how things were going to proceed for the next couple of interviews.

- A 45 minutes interview with an engineer from the research team. Basic first 10 minutes to answer questions about my professional past, 25 for technical questions, and 10 for me to ask him questions.

Interview Question – The added value to an overall of my last projects.   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2011.

Interview Details – A friend who's an engineer there passed my resume along. Had two phone interviews which I found quite difficult. They both had me code in collabedit.org, and the second also actually ran my code on codepad.org - that was a surprise! I did not do perfectly on the phone interview questions, but still got through.

They brought me on-site for an interview day which included a tour, lunch, a talk, and four 1:1 interviews. One-half of the first interview included some questions about leadership, teamwork etc., and the rest were all technical. One of the interviewers seemed to be in a grumpy mood, but that's the luck of the draw. The whiteboard coding questions were not too bad and I think I got them all, though with some silly mistakes along the way. I'd agree with the previous reviewer who said their questions are not as difficult as Google's- though perhaps they therefore have higher expectations as to how quickly/flawlessly you solve them.

On my way out they gave me a goodie bag with some swag. Oh, and at one point I saw Zuckerberg milling about. Got an email a week or so later- I would not be winning the Facebook IPO lottery!

Interview Questions

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in October 2011.

Interview Details – Facebook came to our career fair and I applied online. I received an on campus interview. Their fulltime interview process for new grads works like the following:

1 on 1 interview with a Facebook Engineer (1st day)
1 on 1 interview with a Facebook Engineer (2nd day, if you did well enough the first day)

On site interview at Facebook HQ

Their interviews are almost completely technical.

Interview Questions

• Find a needle in the haystack: given two c-strings (null terminated), return a pointer to the location of where the needle occurs in the haystack, NULL otherwise.   View Answers (2)
  • Given a binary tree print the first level, followed by a newline, the second level, followed by a newline, etc.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook Software Engineering New Grad interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.