Facebook

Updated Feb 28, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in October 2007.

I had one on campus interview, a follow up phone interview and then an on-site interview at their HQ in downtown Palo Alto. HR did a fantastic job with coordinating the interview day but the engineers that interviewed me were on their cell phones and did not seem interested in conducting a comprehensive interview. Every interviewer started off with "Why Facebook?" and asked an algorithm and design question. I realized later that almost all the programming questions I was asked were pulled DIRECTLY from "Programming Interviews Exposed". From the book:

The design questions were centered around processing large amounts of data, caching, time complexity, etc.

Interview Questions
  • Given a set of characters, print out all possible permutations.   View Answer
  • Given a binary tree, print out the elements in order. Without recursion.   Answer Question
  • Find the first letter in a string that does not have a pair.   View Answers (3)
  • Write a function that takes in an integer and returns the number of ones set in the binary representation.   View Answers (4)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2011.

Initially contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. After this contact I had an introductory phone interview followed by another phone interview with some basic technical questions (what does final in front of a class mean etc). Then I was set a 90 minute programming test on interviewstreet. Upon passing the test I had a 45 minute phone interview with coding on collabedit.

The recruiter was very helpful but the final interviewer did not speak very good english and despite being told I would be contacted via telephone, I was emailed 10 minutes after the interview was supposed to start requesting a skype address for the call.

Unfortunately I struggled to remember how to implement the Indian Power algorithm for the interview question so was rejected a few days after.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2012.

- Since I was applying for Mobile Front-End Engineer, I had to code a 4x4 tiles puzzle game compatible on a mobile device (either web app, iOS, or Android).

- One formal 10 minutes phone call about how things were going to proceed for the next couple of interviews.

- A 45 minutes interview with an engineer from the research team. Basic first 10 minutes to answer questions about my professional past, 25 for technical questions, and 10 for me to ask him questions.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2012.

First a phone screen, then 3 onsite interviews, 45 minutes each
    Phone screen - Print a tree, level by level. Write all solutions for a^3+b^3 = c^3 + d^3, where a, b, c, d lie between [0, 10^5]
    On site - 1. Print a list in reverse 2. Stress interview 3. Maximum profit for buying selling a stock given an array of prices for n days. Isomorphic trees

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Employee referral, 2 weeks later a email from the recruiter. Schedule a phone interview for 1 week from recruiter contact. Software engineer contacted me and told me about what he did and asked me what I like to do and then onto the coding problem. Everyone was very friendly

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

2 Rounds of Phone Interview

4 Interviews on-site.
    Coding + Fit Interview
    - Behavorial Questions
    => What do you love about Facebook?
    => Would you be able to survive such an environment where you are facing millions of users as the customer?
    Coding Interview
    = Questions below
    Coding Interview
    = Questions below
    Fit Interview
    => Describe and talk about a project you had that was most challenging and learning.

Interview Questions
    • Given a Pre-Order and In-Order string of a binary tree, can we and if we can, construct the "Post-Order" String.   View Answers (4)
    It was a great package and I decided to take it.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

After applying online I got a very casual recruiting email a few weeks later reaching out about a specific product engineering position, in fact I wasn't sure if it was real (wasn't addressed to me), but I looked up the recruiter and she was listed on linked in as employee of Facebook, so I responded. It took a while to decide if she could continue as my recruiter or if I needed to go through a university specific recruiter, but once my first phone interview was setup the process moved quite quickly.

The first phone interview was a 45 minute coding interview. Pretty standard for the big companies. I completed 2 questions. What was the most unique about this process, is the feedback from that initial interview was shared with me by the recruiter - giving me that so I can improve on it for the in person interview, which I really think is a great reflection of Facebook's open culture.

Facebook, like Google, generally doesn't hire for specific teams, however, they took the time to find a project at Facebook I would find especially interesting and fill my in person interview with people on that team so I could ask questions about it.

Facebook has three types of interviews which they call Ninja, Pirate and Jedi (because they are the best kind of dorks). I had two Ninja Interviews and one Jedi. Ninja is typical coding interview where they ask 1-2 coding questions. The Jedi interview is culture fit where they ask you how you work on team, but you will also spend half the time coding. I think Pirate are focused on distributed systems type questions, but I was informed that they often skip these questions for New Grads without any explicit experience, because it's something most people learn from working in the industry and they don't get strong data from those interviews.

It's also worth noting that during my job search I had coding interviews with 18 people and 17 of them were men, Facebook is the one company where I had a technical interview with a woman, although it was still the Jedi interview.

I applied to Google at the same time as Facebook and their process moved a little faster, so I got an offer from Google the day before I went in for an in person interview, thankfully I had enough time to decide for Facebook to get their counter offer in, and the recruiter's care in setting me up with that team was a big part in what made me decide to go with Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • Signed an NDA not to reveal questions, I did feel well prepared by studying questions/strategies from Cracking the Coding Interview   Answer Question
    I had looked up new grad offers for 2014 before I received the offer, and was given exactly the standard, which was also the highest offer I received, so I did not negotiate.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

I applied online,using the friendly Facebook career website.
    I received an email followed by informal phone interview.Afterwards,I got the chance for a tech interview.
    The first questions were a little general,tell me about yourself kind of thing.previous experience and the challenges faced.
    There were 2 coding problems, one based on recursion,factorial kind of thing...

And afterwards ,a question on merging two sorted arrays in linear time.My approach solved the problem in quadratic time and was asked to improve it to the best I can.
    At first I couldn't really see how;but the interviewer was really nice.He gave me hints to start with. At first I stumbled because I could not immediately get the whole idea.I kept on saying stuff without changing the code until I said the right thing and he agreed with me afterwards.
    I am waiting to hear the outcome of the interview which I have hope I passed and will get the chance to work with such wonderful and humble people.I really liked the guy,so down to earth...I feel like crying right now...

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

I applied online at the Facebook website. They came for a tech talk in my university.
    After a few days I got an email for a phone call. It wasn't a technical interview. Just a brief introductory call. After the call they setup a technical interview.
    The technical phone interview involves coding on colabedit.

Interview Questions
    • Don't just go through the difficult questions online. Do the basic ones too that involve logic.   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I applied online and was approached by the HR to initiate the interview process. My next interview was a technical one and I had hoped to clear it, but failed. The interviewer was helpful, but failed to see my perspective. I initially approached to solve the problem in O(N) time using an algorithm that I thought I knew. But I got confused and 15 mins in the interview, I asked whether I could use another approach. This is when I got shaky. I proposed a solution in O(N^2) time. He asked to make it faster and using Hash Tables, I improved the time to O(N) and space to O(N). And with a hint from the interviewer, I ended up solving in O(N) time with constant space (and then started writing the code). During the whole interview session, I accidentally kept confusing things (for instance calling a node,a root node because I was thinking in terms of sub-trees and recursively). This generally doesn't happen even when working under stress. I felt the interviewer grossly underestimated me, but I blame myself for that. If there is anything I would different then it would be to use the easiest approach to solution the question first. A positive start boosts up the confidence. Make sure to explain CLEARLY (using the correct terminology) how to tackle the problem. One more thing: embrace the fact that there is always a possibility of getting rejected. So, blurt out whatever you solution you think should work. There is not enough time to derive your approach. And be confident. Sometimes you can trick the interviewer into believing that you know exactly what to do, even when you don't (if you are close enough).

Interview Questions
    • A modification of the lowest common ancestor problem (bonus points if you answer using RMQs)   Answer Question