Facebook

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.2

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

I was contacted after giving my resume at a job fair. I had one phone interview with an engineer which had a fairly straightforward interview problem to solve on an online coding website. Then I was invited to interview at one of their larger offices (I chose Seattle), I was flown out and interviewed on a day that 13 other people were interviewing as well. That day I got breakfast and lunch at the company cafeteria, and had interviews with 3 engineers. One asked me how I would implement, create and solve a maze. One asked me to code a translation from base 26 to decimal.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked how I would implement, in OO code, a maze. Then, given that implementation, to design an algorithm to solve that maze. Then, how would I create a random maze from scratch with an algorithm.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Interviewing process was very smooth and recruiters provided me with information and feedback almost instantaneously, for example, I heard back that I passed phone interview stage 6hrs after.

As I applied to NYC office they offered to fly me there for interviews but due to lack of time interviewed in London and loved office atmosphere.

Can't provide onsite questions due to NDA but had 2 coding ninja interviews and 1 jedi fit interview.

Process took quite long as I asked for time in between interviews to prepare better.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview questions:

Given an array of numbers (1,2,3,8,0,2,2,0,10), move all 0s to the right end and all other numbers to the left while keeping relative order of non-zero numbers. Has to be linear in time and in-place.

View Answer
    • Phone interview

Given a 2D array of gifts, find path from top left to bottom right corner with greatest aggregated gift values.

View Answer
    The offer is pretty good but I'm still waiting to negotiate once I get another competitive offer.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

First got one phone interview invitation from a recruiter and it went fairly well. I heard back from my recruiter the next day to set up onsite interview. The onsite one includes 4 interviews (it was 3 before) and two of them are completely technical.For the other two, a mix of behavior and technical questions. The coding problems are not very hard but make sure your code is clean and bug-free.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected. They care about if you fit in the culture as well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

First round interview: Interviewed face to face at the University.
    Some general questions like why do I want to work at Facebook. Then I was asked 2 questions. One was a Fibonacci series and the other one was about an array with some special properties (I can't recall but I think it had some random zeroes interpolated). I stumbled on the second question which is why I guess didn't move forward.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to find a Fibonacci number. It wasn't Fibonacci per se but very similar. It is solved the same way.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

I initially applied in early November, 2013. I got a reply from one of the recruiters about a week later. After talking to the recruiter on the phone and emailing back and forth for a while, she realized that I was still in school (graduating mid 2014) and transferred me to another recruiter.. or rather a bunch of different recruiters who couldn't seem to figure out who I should be talking to. Eventually we got everything sorted out (now in January 2014) and I did two phone interviews. They both went well and shortly after, they arranged for me to fly to Seattle for a "university day". They put me up in a nice hotel across the street from the office and, of course, paid for meals and everything. They even set up direct deposit for the reimbursement, which was nice.

The day of the interviews, I arrived in the morning and signed in and then I was met by a couple recruiters. There were also a few intern candidates but no other full time candidates. I had 3 interviews that were all fairly interesting. The first one was mostly a fit interview, the second was the in depth coding interview and the third was a combination of talking about experience and doing some coding.

After the interviews, we did a tour of the office and then we met with a bunch of engineers for a Q&A session. This was a really great way to learn about the company and see how everything works there. It seemed like a really great place to work with lots of really smart engineers though I was mildly concerned about the apparent lack of organization.

In the afternoon, one of the recruiters took us downtown for Seattle's "Underground Tour" which was really neat and later they took us out to a super fancy Italian restaurant which was excellent. Overall, it was a really great day.

About a week later, I got an email from one of the recruiters asking for references and my transcript. I have an almost perfect transcript (straight A's) and I was certain that my references would say nice things about me so I felt that I had the job in the bag at this point. One of my references forwarded me the questionnaire they sent him. It was just generic questions like "How did you know him?", "Would you hire him again?", "What were his strongest/weakest attributes?" This reference included his answers which were all extremely positive, re-enforcing the idea in my mind that I was going to get an offer.

A week or so after this, I heard from the recruiter again asking me to do more phone interviews. Supposedly, it was "great news that [they] still [wanted] to move forward with [me]" but I didn't really take it that way. Frankly, I find it rude and unprofessional that they would waste the time of my references if they weren't already prepared to make an offer. However, I, of course, went through with the phone interviews, uncertain what they could possibly learn about me that they hadn't already figured out in the first five interviews.

The first of the second round of phone interviews (6th interview overall) went very poorly as the interviewer has a very strong accent and a horrible phone line (lots of static). I could barely understand what he was asking which made it very difficult. I contacted the recruiter about this and she seemed at least somewhat understanding. She then booked another phone interview which went quite well, as far as I could tell.

Finally, the week after this (now into March), I got a rejection letter which I was rather dumbfounded by. I can't for the life of me figure out where I went wrong or why they would bother contacting references if they weren't prepared to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so I'm not sure that I am allowed to talk about it. Mostly fairly general questions, e.g. data structures, algorithms. Sometimes there's an emphasis on large data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

I had an in person first round screen interview. Then I had a second round which consisted of 4 interviews. 2 coding interviews, 1 higher level designing a system interview and a personality fit+coding interview. Topics covered included, scheduling for the designing a system, fast sorting for arrays with structure, binary search, recursion and bit wise operations.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question on longest common subsequence (dynamic programming).   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in February 2013.

Initially applied online, but did not hear back after a couple weeks. Asked a friend to submit a referral and I was contacted within 24 hours. I was working up against a deadline, and they were able to set up the phone screen quickly. After the phone screen, I was notified they would like to bring me on-site.

The on-site interviews went quickly and smoothly. During one of my interviewers, I had to inform the interviewer twice in a row that I had seen the question before on an interview (which was embarrassing, but we quickly moved on to a question I hadn't seen).

After contacting my references, Facebook e-mailed me about 10 days later to let me know they were going to make an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2012.

I was selected for an on-campus screening interview. The interview was pretty easy compared to other companies. After the initial ice breakers, was asked an open ended question related to area of my interest followed by 2 coding questions to be solved on a paper. Basic questions testing if you can write code and know data structures. Was informed in a couple of hours that I am selected for on-site interview.

The process to select the dates and flights, hotels was smooth. There were about 30-40 other new grad candidates and intern on the day of interview. Every new grad had just 3 coding interviews one of which was behavioral interview for checking if the candidate would be a good fit. The other two were ninja coding interviews. I had two coding questions in the behavioral round which I answered well. Two question in the first ninja round which were pretty wasy and I coded pretty quickly but messed up a basic thing in the first question. Had time for only one question in the second ninja round. This was the only tougher question in the interviews and I got the ideal answer in the end but didn't have time to finish the coding part.

I think the basic mistake in the second interview and the third interview messed up my chances. I feel the company puts importance on how fast you come up with perfect answer. That's the questions are simple. So you are expected to be quick thinking and are expected to not mess up something so simple.

There was lunch, awesome tour of campus and two tech talk after the interviews. This was one of the best interview days I had this season (I have had 4 on-site interview till now). No all day long torture of interviews and pretty awesome talks and tour giving an inside view of the company. Would interview again if given a chance!

Interview Questions
    • I would not give the actual questions given the NDA I signed.   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

2 Rounds of Phone Interview

4 Interviews on-site.
    Coding + Fit Interview
    - Behavorial Questions
    => What do you love about Facebook?
    => Would you be able to survive such an environment where you are facing millions of users as the customer?
    Coding Interview
    = Questions below
    Coding Interview
    = Questions below
    Fit Interview
    => Describe and talk about a project you had that was most challenging and learning.

Interview Questions
    • Given a Pre-Order and In-Order string of a binary tree, can we and if we can, construct the "Post-Order" String.   View Answers (4)
    It was a great package and I decided to take it.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Got call through campus hiring. Set up an initial phone call with interviewer who gave details on kind of work and environment at facebook.
    followed by coding question on collabedit. It was easy and pretty much coded what was asked for. But got a reject mail within an hour.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected question.
      Asked to code for ' Longest common substring' with corner cases

Answer Question