Facebook Software Engineering New Grad Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2015

3.1

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interview

There's nothing much to say about my interview process that's not already been said. I was referred by an employee and they responded pretty promptly to my application. There were two rounds of phone interviews spaced a couple of weeks apart, and then a full day of on-site interviews. Facebook is becoming a big company, and this is apparent in some of their turn-around times. There used to be complete radio silence for a week or so before some news came in sporadically.

I think did pretty well in the coding and other parts. The one part I knew I was weak in, and which the interview process corroborated, was the system design part. There are not too many resources to help prepare you for this, and this cannot be built up through preparation alone, you need to have been working in a lot of software projects, or better still, worked as an engineer to answer these questions well. I was sent in for a follow-up design interview on the phone after the on-site, and ultimately rejected.

I don't have much to say. The coding questions are very standard. They're probably easier than they were earlier, and this again reflects the size of the company. The engineers I talked to seemed happy at Facebook, although the hacker culture, the quick and dirty way of doing things and the general focus around pushing stuff to production turned me off a little. I know that this is Facebook's culture beforehand, but coming face to face with it left a bad after-taste in my mouth. Or maybe the grapes are sour.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, so I cannot reveal explicit questions. Practice your standard algorithms and data-structures. Nothing too fancy. Remember how containers in the standard library are implemented. Oh, and practice system design questions, if you know how to.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

On campus Interview, they eventually set up a date, and had a 40 minute interview. it was through our campus recruiting so it was a fairly easy process. They also had a reception with free food. Interview wasn't very difficult though I didn't get an offer, so they must have been looking for something else.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied online,using the friendly Facebook career website.
    I received an email followed by informal phone interview.Afterwards,I got the chance for a tech interview.
    The first questions were a little general,tell me about yourself kind of thing.previous experience and the challenges faced.
    There were 2 coding problems, one based on recursion,factorial kind of thing...

And afterwards ,a question on merging two sorted arrays in linear time.My approach solved the problem in quadratic time and was asked to improve it to the best I can.
    At first I couldn't really see how;but the interviewer was really nice.He gave me hints to start with. At first I stumbled because I could not immediately get the whole idea.I kept on saying stuff without changing the code until I said the right thing and he agreed with me afterwards.
    I am waiting to hear the outcome of the interview which I have hope I passed and will get the chance to work with such wonderful and humble people.I really liked the guy,so down to earth...I feel like crying right now...

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was approached by the HR to initiate the interview process. My next interview was a technical one and I had hoped to clear it, but failed. The interviewer was helpful, but failed to see my perspective. I initially approached to solve the problem in O(N) time using an algorithm that I thought I knew. But I got confused and 15 mins in the interview, I asked whether I could use another approach. This is when I got shaky. I proposed a solution in O(N^2) time. He asked to make it faster and using Hash Tables, I improved the time to O(N) and space to O(N). And with a hint from the interviewer, I ended up solving in O(N) time with constant space (and then started writing the code). During the whole interview session, I accidentally kept confusing things (for instance calling a node,a root node because I was thinking in terms of sub-trees and recursively). This generally doesn't happen even when working under stress. I felt the interviewer grossly underestimated me, but I blame myself for that. If there is anything I would different then it would be to use the easiest approach to solution the question first. A positive start boosts up the confidence. Make sure to explain CLEARLY (using the correct terminology) how to tackle the problem. One more thing: embrace the fact that there is always a possibility of getting rejected. So, blurt out whatever you solution you think should work. There is not enough time to derive your approach. And be confident. Sometimes you can trick the interviewer into believing that you know exactly what to do, even when you don't (if you are close enough).

Interview Questions

• A modification of the lowest common ancestor problem (bonus points if you answer using RMQs)   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied online at the Facebook website. They came for a tech talk in my university.
    After a few days I got an email for a phone call. It wasn't a technical interview. Just a brief introductory call. After the call they setup a technical interview.
    The technical phone interview involves coding on colabedit.

Interview Questions

• Don't just go through the difficult questions online. Do the basic ones too that involve logic.   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview

After applying online I got a very casual recruiting email a few weeks later reaching out about a specific product engineering position, in fact I wasn't sure if it was real (wasn't addressed to me), but I looked up the recruiter and she was listed on linked in as employee of Facebook, so I responded. It took a while to decide if she could continue as my recruiter or if I needed to go through a university specific recruiter, but once my first phone interview was setup the process moved quite quickly.

The first phone interview was a 45 minute coding interview. Pretty standard for the big companies. I completed 2 questions. What was the most unique about this process, is the feedback from that initial interview was shared with me by the recruiter - giving me that so I can improve on it for the in person interview, which I really think is a great reflection of Facebook's open culture.

Facebook, like Google, generally doesn't hire for specific teams, however, they took the time to find a project at Facebook I would find especially interesting and fill my in person interview with people on that team so I could ask questions about it.

Facebook has three types of interviews which they call Ninja, Pirate and Jedi (because they are the best kind of dorks). I had two Ninja Interviews and one Jedi. Ninja is typical coding interview where they ask 1-2 coding questions. The Jedi interview is culture fit where they ask you how you work on team, but you will also spend half the time coding. I think Pirate are focused on distributed systems type questions, but I was informed that they often skip these questions for New Grads without any explicit experience, because it's something most people learn from working in the industry and they don't get strong data from those interviews.

It's also worth noting that during my job search I had coding interviews with 18 people and 17 of them were men, Facebook is the one company where I had a technical interview with a woman, although it was still the Jedi interview.

I applied to Google at the same time as Facebook and their process moved a little faster, so I got an offer from Google the day before I went in for an in person interview, thankfully I had enough time to decide for Facebook to get their counter offer in, and the recruiter's care in setting me up with that team was a big part in what made me decide to go with Facebook.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA not to reveal questions, I did feel well prepared by studying questions/strategies from Cracking the Coding Interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had looked up new grad offers for 2014 before I received the offer, and was given exactly the standard, which was also the highest offer I received, so I did not negotiate.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Interview

I turned in my résumé at a University hiring event and heard back within a week. A phone call was set up for the end of the week. It was meant to be a 45 min phone call but ran another 15 mins. I felt like they paired me with someone that was out of the scope of my prior experience. They are really looking for someone to hop onto on stack.

Interview Questions

• Choose the best structure and implement it to store a pre-fix line of code i.e. + - 3 3 4 5   3 Answers

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted after giving my resume at a job fair. I had one phone interview with an engineer which had a fairly straightforward interview problem to solve on an online coding website. Then I was invited to interview at one of their larger offices (I chose Seattle), I was flown out and interviewed on a day that 13 other people were interviewing as well. That day I got breakfast and lunch at the company cafeteria, and had interviews with 3 engineers. One asked me how I would implement, create and solve a maze. One asked me to code a translation from base 26 to decimal.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would implement, in OO code, a maze. Then, given that implementation, to design an algorithm to solve that maze. Then, how would I create a random maze from scratch with an algorithm.   1 Answer

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewing process was very smooth and recruiters provided me with information and feedback almost instantaneously, for example, I heard back that I passed phone interview stage 6hrs after.

As I applied to NYC office they offered to fly me there for interviews but due to lack of time interviewed in London and loved office atmosphere.

Can't provide onsite questions due to NDA but had 2 coding ninja interviews and 1 jedi fit interview.

Process took quite long as I asked for time in between interviews to prepare better.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview questions:

Given an array of numbers (1,2,3,8,0,2,2,0,10), move all 0s to the right end and all other numbers to the left while keeping relative order of non-zero numbers. Has to be linear in time and in-place.

3 Answers
    • Phone interview

Given a 2D array of gifts, find path from top left to bottom right corner with greatest aggregated gift values.

1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer is pretty good but I'm still waiting to negotiate once I get another competitive offer.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

First got one phone interview invitation from a recruiter and it went fairly well. I heard back from my recruiter the next day to set up onsite interview. The onsite one includes 4 interviews (it was 3 before) and two of them are completely technical.For the other two, a mix of behavior and technical questions. The coding problems are not very hard but make sure your code is clean and bug-free.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected. They care about if you fit in the culture as well.   Answer Question