Facebook User Experience Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I met some researchers at a conference. From there I had a phone interview with a recruiter and then a screening with a market researcher. They flew me in to the campus for a day of four interviews and a presentation. The presentation topic was fairly open so that I could put my own spin on it. The interviews were very case-based and hypothetical. The recruiter was very prompt throughout the two-month process in getting back to me after each step was completed.

Interview Questions

• Name one feature/component of the Facebook interface that a competitor does better. Why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

User Experience Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This whole process was a comedy of errors. I began by corresponding with a current member of the UX Research team (who was a professional contact only) to discuss qualifications and fit prior to submitting my resume. I submitted my resume with this person's enthusiastic endorsement. I was subsequently rejected by a recruiter under the pretense that I had "no relevant experience", only to be contacted again by my original employee contact a month or so later to tell me that there had been a mistake and that another specific recruiter who specialized in UX hiring would be reviewing my resume and reaching out to me to set up interviews ASAP. Within a week I was contacted by a totally different recruiter at a totally different location, who specialized in hiring software engineers and did not do any hiring at all for UX. My original employee contact made some inquiries, but could not figure out what had gone wrong. I spoke to the new recruiter on the phone and she was also unsure why she had ended up with my application, but promised to forward my info back to the correct UX recruiter and email me again within the week to let me know it had been done. I never heard from anyone at Facebook again, even after reaching out to both recruiters and UX Research team members. The hiring process for software people seems highly streamlined at Facebook. For anyone else...not so much.

Interview Questions

• What is your timeline like, and are you flexible about the possibility of relocating?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

1. Call with recruiter. 2. Call with a UX Researcher. 3. Open problem 48 hours before the interview. 4. On-site: Presentation + 4 Interviews I had fun during the process. I loved the conversation with other UX Researchers and the interview went very well. However, after the interview the recruiter informed me that they went the other way. No regrets, it was a lot of fun. Facebook seems to be doing really interesting stuff. I found another great opp., but good luck!

Interview Questions

• Pick a favorite app, tell us how you'd evaluate it?   Answer Question
    • Pick a topic you care about and tell us how it could be incorporated into FB?   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

It was a long interview process, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless. The first involved a phone call with a recruiter, she was incredibly friendly and referred me to the next call to talk about my work. The second call I was a bit nervous, but as soon as I spoke to the designer on the phone I immediately calmed down and he made the process feel very easy, like I was talking to a friend. Be sure to know all possible answers to questions about your designs. The next call was about critiquing a popular app so be prepared to analyze and answer questions about that! All in all it was a good process, I didn't get hired but I will be open to trying again in the future!

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Screening + 2 Phone interviews + On-site

Interview Questions

• Nothing surprising but you need to get prepared to show your thinking processes   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 months - interviewed at facebook in Dec. 2013 First, I had a screening interview and after that i got a test about a research question (48hr). It wasn't difficult for me. i'm looking forward for next steps about 2weeks but they didnt give any answer. although i didn't get an offer I had a good experience.

Interview Questions

• i didn't have any difficult questions. but i didn't get an offer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Referral from current employee Phone call with recruiter Phone call with other researchers On campus interview

Interview Questions

• Propose a research question and research design. Explain how it is useful for Facebook and interesting to you.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Seemed like a fun place to work, although the team seems a bit too serious/intense for their own good...

Interview Questions

• Approximately how many user testing sessions have you conducted?   Answer Question

User Experience Research Interview

Interview

4 rounds of interviews. In the last round, they asked me to do a moderation of user testing. The HR person was awful. She did not explain what the moderation is about, what will happen after it, how the day long interview would be... and she spoke like a tape recorder

Interview Questions

• the most difficult part was that the HR took my interview while having lunch on site. I was expecting it to be a casual lunch but she made it into an interview   Answer Question