Facebook

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.3

50 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

User Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2010.

If you are interested in applying for a position with Facebook or you’re already engaged in the interviewing process, you may find my insight helpful.

A Facebook recruiter contacted me within two week after submitting my resume to schedule an online writing sample. One week after I took the writing assessment, my recruiter contacted me to schedule a 30-minute phone interview.

Takeaway#1: For the writing assessment, be clear, concise, and manage your time effectively.

My first phone interview, which was more of a screening call, was with a Facebook recruiter. The call lasted around 30 minutes and entailed a discussion of my resume. She was very thorough and asked very detailed questions about all aspects of my experience. I was surprised at the level of detail sought, considering she didn’t work in the area for which I was applying. After the screening, she told me to expect a follow-up call from someone working in the department for which I applied.

Takeaway#2: Be prepared to discuss your resume in detail and relate your experience to the Facebook job for which you are interviewing.

The next day, a recruiting coordinator from the local Facebook office e-mailed me details for the next phone interview, which was with someone working in User Operations. This phone interview was more traditional and lasted around 30 minutes. I received an e-mail from my recruiter the next day inviting me to an on-site interview. I accepted.

Takeaway#3: Know what Facebook is all about, express your excitement, and be prepared to articulate in detail what makes you a good fit for the position AND Facebook in general.

The on-site recruiting coordinator contacted me to schedule the two-hour on-site interview. She also asked me to complete the Facebook employment application and nondisclosure agreement and bring both to the interview. Upon my arrival on-site, she took me to a very small room, with just enough room for three chairs, and asked me to wait for the first interviewer.

The first interviewer arrived with her laptop in-hand, and proceeded to ask me standard interview questions, typing notes as I gave responses. The interview lasted 30 minutes. In fact, all subsequent interviews lasted 30 minutes.

Takeaway#4: Be prepared to provide interesting stories about your most positive and negative work-related experiences, including lessons learned. Make sure you don’t throw anyone under the bus!

The second interviewer’s questions were about personal and professional goals, why I was interested in Facebook, why I wanted to leave my job, etc.

Takeaway#5: Be prepared to articulate the importance of life goals, why you’re interested in Facebook, what you will offer Facebook in the first 90 days/five years, and what skills you will take away from working at Facebook.

The third interviewer’s questions focused on the position and asked philosophical questions about what role Facebook should play in ensuring safety on the site. He also asked for specific solutions to scaling User Operations support as the business continued to grow.

Takeaway#6: Be prepared to offer suggestions for improving the Facebook user experience for both novices and experts.

The final interviewer was older than the previous ones. The other interviewers were in their early 20s to very early 30s. I’m sure he was a manager in that office. His questions focused on team dynamics. This entailed what kind of team I prefer, what role I fill in a team, what I think is destructive for a team, etc.

Takeaway#7: Be prepared to reveal professional criticism you received from peers while working on a team, and explain how you dealt with the criticism.

This was the end of my interviewing experience with Facebook. The recruiting coordinator told me I should receive word from my recruiter in about a week. A week later, I received an e-mail from my recruiter indicating I was not the right fit.

Final Takeaway: If you didn’t receive an offer, find something positive from the experience. It’s only natural to feel the sting of rejection when losing out on this kind of opportunity, but rest assured that you wouldn’t have made it that far in the interview process if you didn’t have the right skills. They simply found a personality that would be a better fit for the team they’re trying to build (or you were too old – kidding – sort of).

My goal here is to share a more complete understanding of Facebook’s interview process so others may spend less time trying to anticipate the process and more time thinking about why they are right for Facebook.

I am more than happy to share other aspects of my interviewing experience with Facebook. Feel free to ask questions in the comments section below...I will respond there so everyone has the benefit to learn from my experience. Remember, it’s anonymous…

Note: Some things I will not be able to comment on due to my NDA with Facebook.

Interview Questions
  • What skills will you take away from your experience working for Facebook?   Answer Question
  • What do you hope to accomplish in your first 90 days working for Facebook?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I applied through an employee referral, and three days later got an e-mail from HR. The 1st screening was 2 different exams One for language and another one for math/statistics skills and sql, both examinations had a time limit and I found them quite interesting and difficult.
    After that I had to confirm availability for a phone screening with HR and then another one with the Hiring Manager. Questions where basic and needed a lot of knowledge on the area and challenges that the company face at the current moment.
    I was again ask to confirm availability for back-to-back interviews with 4 different people, including the hiring manager. I got an email from two different HR contacts with a bit of information on what each interview would focus on.
    People where very kind and made me feel on a conversation instead of an interview, but they had a lot of controversial questions, and got a good-cop bad-cop situation going on because the first interview was really difficult and the second not so much, the next one was really hard and the last was easy as could be.
    They asked me a lot about why facebook, what I wanted from the company, what I liked about my job, where I failed and what I'd do better.
    I had to show a lot of passion for user operations.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think facebook would be able to detect site abuse of the community standards proactively without the user having to report?   View Answer

Analyst, User Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

The position will be at the European HQ for the position of Thai Analyst, User Operations.
    I had a brief phone call from the HR informing me about the 2 tests I had to do: Writing test and Analytical test.
    A week later she contacted me that I passed to the next step and there will be another HR calling me. After the interview I had 2 interview with one employee and a line manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

The Recruiter found me on LinkedIn account and attached me a JD. Then HR rang me to ensure that I understand the job description, what did I do and what am I doing now. Furthermore, she set up an analytical interview with another person a week later and passed me to the final interview. All interviews are phone interviews except the last one through skype as I am based in England.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were about your ability to deal with User operations, how to work in a team, how to spot a fake profile, how can you handle 10,000 abused reports per day etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2012.

Very helpful in making sure I got through the interview process in the amount of time I needed. The final round was very detail oriented, and they are focused on making sure that you are love Facebook and User Operations. Make sure you have experience with all of their user operation tools on the website such as help center, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What is the process you would go about in spotting a fake profile   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

After submitting my resume on the Facebook website a recruiter e-mailed me and asked me to complete a timed online writing sample. The writing sample consisted of two questions. After submitting the writing sample the recruiter got back in touch with me to complete a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes and consisted primarily of discussion regarding my work experience and a brief description of the position. I was asked to come in to the Austin location for an interview. I was given a brief tour of the facility and had four one-to-one interviews. The recruiter called me a week later to tell me that they would not be offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through the steps you would take to set up a parking system in a city?   Answer Question
    • How would you make the user operations analyst position more effective?   Answer Question

User Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in January 2012.

Hard interviews. Know all of Facebook's features, current and upcoming, and history. They say they are looking for people who truly want to change the world, so be passionate about this and the ways Facebook changes lives. Three phone interviews lead to one on site interview. First two phone interviews went great. Third one, the interviewer was in a rush and did not ask many questions (I tried to be considerate of her rushed tone, but this likely hurt me in the end). They would not give feedback, but I feel this I did not get to do the on site because of this.

Interview Questions
    • What issues do you think Facebook will face in the near future? / How would you deal with the issues? / What skills will you take away from your experience working for Facebook?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Facebook in April 2011.

I met first with Facebook's recruiter at The University of Texas and was then taken to speak with a current employee of Facebook. He asked detailed questions about my resume and leadership experience and typed into his laptop. There were behavioral questions and open ended questions without definitive answers. The open ended questions can overwhelm if you are not prepared to come up with strategy. While both recruiters were kind the interview felt very exclusive. Tip: Wear Business Professional even though they interview in jeans and T-shirts.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think that Facebook should be available to China?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2011.

In the phone interview, they look for people exactly matching this position and have a lot of passion for this position.

Interview Questions
    • Writing test:
      1 Describe a feature of facebook that you like most.

View Answer
    • In the phone interview:

Question: why do you like this position?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2010.

Received an email asking for a phone interview and scheduled a time. Phone interview was fairly standard - mostly discussing my resume. Tips: if interviewing for a marketing position, prepare some marketing ideas as well as some comments/thoughts on improvements for the site. Interviewer was polite and friendly, overall the interview went for about 30mins.

Interview Questions
    • What would you improve on the site?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager about an issue, and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question