FactSet

3.2

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The interview includes all the elements covered in a Financial Engineering course. Most of the questions are based on BS Eqn., Bonds & C++ .
    My experience with most of the interviewers was good except one, where the interviewer was not very articulate about her questions and was asking questions on mortgages without describing the nature of the contracts and she was also rude at times. But I enjoyed interviewing with other managers, they didn't just asked you questions but also had a good discussion on it. I did well, but I got a reject. They are very choosy for this position as its a very small department.

Interview Questions
    • You don't really need to prepare anything, if you are a passionate Quant and enjoyed FE course.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Applied through the career services website at my college and got a half hour first round interview. This one is pretty basic, mostly behavioral questions and stuff about your background/interests/career aspirations.

I received a call a few days later informing me that I got a second round interview in Chicago. They take you out to dinner the night before so you can ask questions to some current consultants at the company. The "super day" of interviews was definitely pretty tough. They start off by doing a quick demo of the product, then there are 4 interviews all in a row, which are about 45 minutes each. They were pretty intense- lots of questions you'll never expect but they want to make sure you are quick on your feet and don't get flustered. A lot of questions about your background, why you want to work there, what makes you better than other candidates, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What's the biggest sacrifice you've ever had to make? (not hard, but definitely threw me off)   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in July 2013.

After getting a referral from a friend that works there, I did a phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes. A few days later, they informed me that they wanted me to come in for a final interview. They bought my plane ticket and put me up in a hotel. I interviewed with 4 people, about 45 minutes to an hour each. They were all young, around 27-30. In one interview there was an Excel test.

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in April 2013.

Initial Interview(fixed income and modeling knowledge), second-round phone interview(again, fixed income knowledge and C++ foundation), five hour on-site interview. On-site interview contains one-to-one and two-to-one panel interview. Questions cover from fixed income mathematics, interest rate modeling, BS theory, C++ debug, data structure tests; in addition, senior people will take you out for a great lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Some data structure tests such as efficiency of sorting algorithm and how to recognize a loop;   View Answer
    No negotiation, package is good for fresh graduate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in December 2012.

After applying to FactSet I got an email from an HR person setting up a phone interview with the same HR person for a few days later. Phone interview was very easy. Show that you know about the company and express being interested in being a consultant and you will move on to the next round.

I got an email back a few days later saying I was moving on to the next round and that this time I would be having a phone interview with a manager at the Chicago office. This manager asked a lot of the same questions as before and the phone interview was pretty straight forward again. Once again show you know about the company as well as the financial markets a little bit and ask good questions at the end.

A week later I was notified I would have an interview in Chicago. The night before the interview I went out with two other consultants and myself (since I was the only one interviewing the next day) to a very nice meal. The consultants I met with seemed to really enjoy their job and were down to earth people. The point of the dinner is to see if you can hold a conversation and at the same time show interest in FactSet by asking questions. The next day in the FactSet office the first thing you go through is a product demo. Be ready to ask questions as they go through it and show you have some understanding of what they are showing you. Next I had four interview back to back with different managers. No brain teaser but once again pretty straight forward questions other than a few. The point of the interview is to really get to know you and see if you are a good fit for them. Each interviewer has their own theme from dealing with people, knowledge of the markets, what computer experience you have to questions about yourself such as what you do for fun.

Ultimately I never got a call back but thought the experience overall was a positive one. FactSet also covered my flight, hotel, and a great dinner with the other consultants the night before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Say you get a call from a client who isn't your own and he has a project for you that is critically important to get done now. Then five minutes later one of your own clients calls and has a problem that he needs to get done immediately as well. What do you do?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet.

Submitted resume at career fair. got an email for an on campus interview. interviewed with a senior consultant who asked a number of behavioral and a few technical questions. few awkward interview, he showed no sign of life the whole time

Interview Questions
    • Pick your favorite three: finance, technology, sales and why   Answer Question

Fixed Income Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at FactSet in September 2012.

Through a referral, I was contacted by a recruiter to do an on-site interview in the Chicago office. This consisted of 4 in person interviews and some younger staff members took me out to lunch after. The whole process lasted from about 8:30AM-1:00PM. I was very pleased with the interview process overall, and everybody seemed to be very cordial and accommodating. The interviews themselves seemed to be segmented by "category" - the first was a general interview, second was more sales oriented, third was numbers, excel, financial, and the fourth was strictly personality and who you are outside of work.

I would say recommend to have a pretty solid knowledge base of the financial industry and what's going on right now. Also know about excel because they're likely to ask questions about your familiarity with excel.

Interview Questions
    • What caused the financial crisis in 2008? What are your thoughts on where the market is moving and why?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through a VLOOKUP excel function step by step   Answer Question
    • Is the customer always right?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in November 2011.

On campus interview then got invited to Chicago for final round interview. Everything was paid for and the night before a couple employees took myself and 2 other candidates out to dinner. The next day started with a product demo then three consectutive 1 on 1 interviews with all basic questions about resume/interest in FactSet/behavioral.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet in October 2011.

Met with a recruiter at my University's career fair, and was invited to interview with Factset the following week. The interview was very laid back, and you can tell they definitely want to find people who fit their company culture. While a few questions relate to either Excel skills, the financial markets, etc; the majority of the questions revolve around who you are as a person. Great people. Great company. Incredibly professional process.

Interview Questions
    • Rate your Excel skills on a scale of 1-10?   Answer Question
    • Tell me one thing that really interests you going on in today's financial markets?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about 2 Excel functions that you're familiar with?   Answer Question
    • Who are you as a person? What do you do for fun?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in October 2011.

Met staff during a college career fair. We talked about me, who FactSet was (I had never heard of them), and we talked about how it might play to my interests. I gave them my resume after talking.

Several days later I received an email asking for me to set up a phone interview, which followed a couple days later. The interview was a few simple questions, procedural programming stuff, with no OOP or anything. I got an email later that day to set up an on site interview.

The next week I went in for an interview that lasted approx. 7 hours. It consisted of 5(6?) 2:1 interviews about things like debugging, OOP, design philosophy, etc. Talked about my resume with every group, and got to know each of them. On of the groups took me out to (a nice) lunch and we talked about my interests outside of work. The final interview was with the lead boss, which was about 1/2 an hour, and I was given some tougher problems to solve conceptually.

3 days later, I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Using a distributed system, calculate the totals of each word in a document.   Answer Question
    I was beyond elated to receive an offer as this was my first interview out of college, and the offer seemed very reasonable.