FactSet Interview Questions in Connecticut

Updated Oct 19, 2014

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FactSet.

Screening phone interview with HR, initial in-person interview with hiring manager group 1 but was not given an offer, initial call interview with hiring manager group 2, and round two in-person interviews with hiring manager group 2 and two colleagues each individually.

Everyone was friendly and asked standard questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Tried to negotiate but the company would not submit a new offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Best interview process I've been through. Went to information session at my college, then was invited to interview on campus. Very straightforward interview with behavioral questions and company questions. Next was invited on site in Norwalk for final round interviews. Went through 5 interviews all very casual and straightforward. Make sure to do your research and have good questions for these interviews to show your interest in the company.

Interview Questions
    • How proficient with Excel are you? Then turned around the monitor and had me facilitate finding certain criteria in a spreadsheet
      What stock would you sell me right now and why?
      Tell me about news related to finance
        View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Originally started through campus recruiting. Initial interview was for Consultant, eventually was moved over to Product Development interview. Interview was at the corporate headquarters in Norwalk, Ct. Interviewed with 6 different members of PD team for about 45min-1hr each. Questions asked ranged from general i.e. "Do you have any coding experience" to general finance "What are some processes for company valuation, and how would you go about them" along with specific questions in excel.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite excel function (answered nested if or pivot tables). Okay, now make either in this spreadsheet.   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiation, was told similar situation form other entry level positions in PD.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

First contact was an email from HR wanting to setup a phone interview. Phone interview was technical with 4 to 6 people online, it was hard to tell. In person is an all day event, it goes from 9am to around 2pm, there are 4 technically 5 interviews including HR. All interviews less the HR interview are technical, know your material. They love probing questions, I personally do not like them, nor see the value in them.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Had a brief phone interview that involved a discussion of OOP and writing code in C++. Was invited onsite, where there were a series of interviews, each one-on-one. One was a C++ code review. Another was about designing a game/simulator and addressing its challenges. The third focused on data structures and algorithms. The experience was mostly positive, and I heard a decision less than a week later, but I have yet to receive the promised travel reimbursement. I can understand a delay in this process, but no one from HR has replied to my inquiries about it. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was extremely difficult, but I was mildly and happily surprised that there was a segment fully devoted to OOD.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

interviewed at FactSet in January 2014.

Multiple technical interviews
    * Code Review - given the Chromeum Embedded Framework open source, find as many bugs and design issues as possible
    * Design - design a 4 dimensional maze, its graphical representation, and find the shortest distance to the end
    * Algorithms
       * Given 2 sorted lists of numbers M and N, find the k highest values of M(i) + N(j) in O(k)
       * Given a weighted graph, create an algorithm to find the a path that hits all points given as input, with another set of inputs that limits the shortest path to take between the nodes
       * Turn an array of characters that represents a number, into an integer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FactSet.

The first step is a screening interview. This is typically a phone screen, but for university applicants, this can be a campus interview. The screening interview lasts about 30 minutes,

The second and final round is an on-site set of interviews that lasts most of the day. The actual interviews vary by department. This is a rough schedule:
    - 9:00 Demo of the software
    - 10:00 Quiz
    - 10:15 Tech Interview 1
    - 10:45 Tech Interview 2
    - 11:30 Code Review
    - 12:15 Lunch
    - 2:00 Director Interview
    - 2:30 HR Interview

Interview order and times can be slightly different,

Interview Questions
    • You are given a stream of directions in [up, down, left, right]. Each direction means move one unit in that direction. After completing the movements, you will return to the position where you started. Compute the area of the shape you created.

I was asked this when FactSet interviewed me a very long time ago. I liked the question so I sometimes use it myself when I interview other applicants..
        View Answers (2)

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FactSet.

Easy first interview on campus. Asked to come to connecticut office.
    Excel test, everyone very friendly.
    At the end we did a group project and asked to rank each other (this part was mildly uncomfortable.)
    Good company.