FactSet Interview Questions in Connecticut

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

First they will ask for you to send sample code, and that will mostly dictate how your interview will go. They mostly work in C++, but they are fine with Java if you understand your OOD concepts.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a sorted array that is initialized with size 100, the values stored would be for example 1, 2, 3,.... ect. Describe an algorithm that would check if there is a duplicate number and if so return it.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

I was initially screened with a pleasant, roughly 30 minute phone call then invited to their Norwalk campus for a day of interviewing. The entire process was incredibly easy, and they arranged for both a rental vehicle and a hotel room for the trip. The interviewing process was long, but didn't seem overly difficult. Technical questions abounded throughout the first half, varying in detail and complexity. Know basic algorithms, data structures, and uses for each. Be able to apply both to data, and explain the implementation at various levels.

Interview Questions
    • Design and describe an OO version of Tetris: Rotation, collision, etc.
      Reverse a linked list.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I applied online, and shortly after an HR manager called me to schedule a phone interview. I prepared heavily for the phone interview, however, she never called. After taking 2 business days to respond to my email about the "mix up," she rescheduled my interview for the following day. Two hours before our rescheduled interview, she asked to reschedule the interview for the following day. The next day, I waited for her phone call, which ended up never coming. Not that she was aware, but I was actually on a road trip and pulled over for a half hour waiting for her to call. Honestly, I was blown away by how inconsiderate she was of my time, by not calling not once, but twice. Four business days later, she reached out to reschedule AGAIN. By then, I was extremely turned off by the company and had reached out to a supervisor (I'm sure that reflected poorly on me, but I was beyond frustrated). I actually received a call for the third scheduled interview (2 weeks after the original one I had scheduled), but by a different woman. The questions were standard; know the company, know the position, just do your research. I ended up not even making it past the phone interview, which given my resume/interview answers, probably had something to do with my frustration with them. Kind of ridiculous and a total waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, "Explain what FactSet does," "What traits do you have that would benefit this position"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

I interviewed with Factset on campus for their entry level consulting position. The interview process was pretty strait forward, I got an email from them to set up a time to come and do a one-on-one interview and had the actually interview the next week. The woman I interviewed with was nice, but didn't seem overly interested in what I was saying. He questions were very bland and really didn't give me a chance to expand on a lot of my experiences in and out of school. She really didn't throw any curve-ball questions in either, everything was really just about my resume, job experiences and things in the news.

Overall the interview was pleasant, but It seemed my person was uninterested with what I had to say.

Interview Questions
    • Are you happy with you current GPA? I wasn't sure if this was a trick question, so I was unsure how to answer it at first.   Answer Question

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

Contacted through career fair at school. I was asked to come to the Norwalk offices for a 3 hour long interview process. Very laid-back interview with 6 different employees, 30 minutes each. Mostly asked questions based on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness that is not actually a strength?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

2 Interviews: 1 on the phone, 1 in person at their office in Connecticut. They weren't particularly hard, but watch out for the triangle class one. They normally ask you what language you prefer before giving you several pages of code to review. For me, they simply gave me 5 pages of C++ code and had me go at it. I don't know C++, and never implied that I did. I do know C, so I was able to figure it out eventually, but of the 15 minutes they gave me to read the code, a good chunk of it was spent trying to make sense of a lot of the functions and other features of the language that I was not aware of.

Interview Questions
    • Triangle class, various data structure questions (of which the solution was primarily hash tables), and a design question where I had to interpret equations   Answer Question

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FactSet.

Screening phone interview with HR, initial in-person interview with hiring manager group 1 but was not given an offer, initial call interview with hiring manager group 2, and round two in-person interviews with hiring manager group 2 and two colleagues each individually.

Everyone was friendly and asked standard questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Tried to negotiate but the company would not submit a new offer.

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Best interview process I've been through. Went to information session at my college, then was invited to interview on campus. Very straightforward interview with behavioral questions and company questions. Next was invited on site in Norwalk for final round interviews. Went through 5 interviews all very casual and straightforward. Make sure to do your research and have good questions for these interviews to show your interest in the company.

Interview Questions
    • How proficient with Excel are you? Then turned around the monitor and had me facilitate finding certain criteria in a spreadsheet
      What stock would you sell me right now and why?
      Tell me about news related to finance

View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.