FactSet

Average Difficulty
54 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Question – Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at FactSet in January 2011.

Interview Details – I initially applied for a job through a friend and didn't get a callback. After a few months another position opened and I applied again through the friend. A few weeks went by and they called back. First I was contacted by a recruiter, then I had a phone interview, then I came in for an in-person interview.

The in-person was a whole day. It started with a presentation of their product, then a code review, two design reviews, a lunch, and finally an interview with the director of the department.

Several days later I received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Question – The most difficult question presented to me was a C++ code sample that I had to review. It contained numerous logical and syntax errors, as well as poor coding. I had to debug the sample by hand and explain how I would fix the code or re-implement it. The difficulty was doing so on pen and paper and catching all of the problems, including several very subtle ones.   Answer Question

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied after seeing job listing on indeed.com, After an initial phone round covering basic programming/algorithms, was asked to come on-site for an interview. Company paid for transportation and hotel.

Spent the day interviewing with various members of the company, some HR, but most of the interviews were technical. Most interviews focused on proficiency with algorithms and data structures, although there was a code review that required strong syntactic knowledge.

Interview Question – Design a board game.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Best interview process I've been through. Went to information session at my college, then was invited to interview on campus. Very straightforward interview with behavioral questions and company questions. Next was invited on site in Norwalk for final round interviews. Went through 5 interviews all very casual and straightforward. Make sure to do your research and have good questions for these interviews to show your interest in the company.

Interview Question – How proficient with Excel are you? Then turned around the monitor and had me facilitate finding certain criteria in a spreadsheet
What stock would you sell me right now and why?
Tell me about news related to finance
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details – 3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected.   View Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details – Had a brief phone interview that involved a discussion of OOP and writing code in C++. Was invited onsite, where there were a series of interviews, each one-on-one. One was a C++ code review. Another was about designing a game/simulator and addressing its challenges. The third focused on data structures and algorithms. The experience was mostly positive, and I heard a decision less than a week later, but I have yet to receive the promised travel reimbursement. I can understand a delay in this process, but no one from HR has replied to my inquiries about it. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – Nothing was extremely difficult, but I was mildly and happily surprised that there was a segment fully devoted to OOD.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – First contact was an email from HR wanting to setup a phone interview. Phone interview was technical with 4 to 6 people online, it was hard to tell. In person is an all day event, it goes from 9am to around 2pm, there are 4 technically 5 interviews including HR. All interviews less the HR interview are technical, know your material. They love probing questions, I personally do not like them, nor see the value in them.

Interview Question – Sell me something?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed at the Norwalk, CT headquarters. One 30 minute pre-screening call with HR and then they flew me to the office. Very low key and laid back. Typical behavioral interview questions. There were 5 30 minute interviews with a number of consultants and directors, followed by lunch with 2 of the younger consultants and the other people interviewing that day.

Interview Question – At one point, they asked about excel skills and turned around the monitor and asked you to compute the value of the S&P 500.   View Answer

Norwalk, CT

I interviewed at FactSet in January 2014.

Interview Details – Multiple technical interviews
* Code Review - given the Chromeum Embedded Framework open source, find as many bugs and design issues as possible
* Design - design a 4 dimensional maze, its graphical representation, and find the shortest distance to the end
* Algorithms
   * Given 2 sorted lists of numbers M and N, find the k highest values of M(i) + N(j) in O(k)
   * Given a weighted graph, create an algorithm to find the a path that hits all points given as input, with another set of inputs that limits the shortest path to take between the nodes
   * Turn an array of characters that represents a number, into an integer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone screening which was quick and was asked some simple java questions such as the differences between an interface and an abstract class....very simple stuff. We also went through some of my previous experiences from my resume.

I was flown to their Norwalk office for an on site interview. There were four rounds where the first one was a Code Review. I was given code in C and I had to search for memory leaks and other optimizations. I had a data structures round where the question was regarding linked lists. My third interviews was regarding object oriented programming and how I would design a Chess game in java. My last interview was more casual with a senior director and had some behavioral questions.

The recruiter was very prompt and made all the traveling a seamless experience

Interview Question – design a chess game in an obejct oriented fashion   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet interview questions and advice in Connecticut. All 54 interview reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.