FactSet

Average Difficulty
140 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – They either face-to-face interview or phone interview. With me, I sent an email directly to recruiting because I was promised an interview, and applying through the website did me no good. The next day, they scheduled a phone interview for me.

If you're accepted into the next round, the fly you to where you want to work, and you interview with managers and have a dinner with Consultants.

With my experience, I missed the July hires round, so it was for September. The entire time, I felt as if the interviewer's mind was already made up about me (the interview just seemed like a formality, so that one of the Recruiters would fulfill her promise). They never asked me what I saw in MY future, why I wanted to work at FactSet, what I'd bring to the table, and what made me different. Instead, the interviewer stuck with the typical "name a difficult time..." or "name a time you worked on a team," that kind of stuff. I still really, truly believe that FactSet and I were perfect fits for each other, and I didn't get the opportunity to show that.

All the recruiters sounded REALLY nice, but, like it, unfortunately, seems like with most jobs, you really have to know someone.

She seemed like she just wanted to get over with the interview, so I asked her for a timeline, and it was then I knew I didn't get it (the old "we need to talk amongst ourselves and come to a decision" trick. Didn't even ask which city I wanted to be stationed at until I brought it up). Got a lot of "yeah"s and "uh-huh"s and "of course"s from her, but the entire "conversational" thing she didn't seem into. I've gotten ejected from firms where the interviewers sounded MUCH more interested in me as a candidate.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to work with a difficult person/people and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was a 30 minute, mostly behavioral interview on campus. Within one or two days I was asked to interview at the FactSet office from 9am-2pm or so.

First step of the second round process was a brief tutorial of the software, my advice is to truly pay attention - it will help you with the interview portion. Second was 4 sequential interviews with various employees - mostly behavioral. Be prepared for brainteasers too, and to show how you would solve theoretical client problems on excel. Finally, two consultants took the day's candidates to lunch. Be sure to ask well-developed questions to stand out during the lunch.

Interview Question – Not difficult, but unexpected. I was asked to find the previous five days' closing prices for a particular stock. Then I was asked to find the average. I was given FactSet, as well as excel and was allowed to use any internet resource.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details – 4 behavioral style interview. One interview had an excel test and different question depending on how you rated yourself with proficiency to excel.

Interview Question – Not really anything too difficult   Answer Question

New York, NY

Interview Details – On campus first round, heard back a few hours later that they wanted me to come into New York for a final round. 4 interviews with managers and then lunch with two current consultants. Nothing too difficult, one excel problem which was pretty easy for someone with an excel background.

Interview Question – Nothing too technical. One excel problem with if-statements, and a few basic finance problems. "What is a stock?" Really nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

Interview Details – I was initially interviewed on campus and then asked if I would be willing to fly out to San Francisco for a final interview. It was a pretty grueling process, with four back to back 30 minute interviews. Each interview covered a different area and there was an Excel test that you are required to do. After the four interviews, you have to do a group interview where you problem solve with the other people being interviewed and they watch how you work together. After that you are sent to lunch with some recent hires and you get to ask them questions and see what they do/don't like about working at FactSet.

Interview Question – The Excel test is difficult and is very nerve racking. The interviewer watches you try to solve as many questions as you can in three minutes.   Answer Question

Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Best interview process I've been through. Went to information session at my college, then was invited to interview on campus. Very straightforward interview with behavioral questions and company questions. Next was invited on site in Norwalk for final round interviews. Went through 5 interviews all very casual and straightforward. Make sure to do your research and have good questions for these interviews to show your interest in the company.

Interview Question – How proficient with Excel are you? Then turned around the monitor and had me facilitate finding certain criteria in a spreadsheet
What stock would you sell me right now and why?
Tell me about news related to finance
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Applied through the career services website at my college and got a half hour first round interview. This one is pretty basic, mostly behavioral questions and stuff about your background/interests/career aspirations.

I received a call a few days later informing me that I got a second round interview in Chicago. They take you out to dinner the night before so you can ask questions to some current consultants at the company. The "super day" of interviews was definitely pretty tough. They start off by doing a quick demo of the product, then there are 4 interviews all in a row, which are about 45 minutes each. They were pretty intense- lots of questions you'll never expect but they want to make sure you are quick on your feet and don't get flustered. A lot of questions about your background, why you want to work there, what makes you better than other candidates, etc.

Interview Question – What's the biggest sacrifice you've ever had to make? (not hard, but definitely threw me off)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in June 2010.

Interview Details – Quick process - if they hire, they will get back to you quickly. Interview is 5 interviews with different Consulting managers and then lunch with a current Consultant. The main thing they look for are people skills.

Interview Question – No difficult/unexpected questions - most were just converstional.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negoations - they have a set starting salary for all incoming Consultants.

San Francisco, CA

Interview Details – Applied through on campus recruiting process. I was contacted about a week later via email to schedule a half hour interview at the school's career center.
The interviewer was awkward and didn't seem too interested in interviewing candidates. All questions were behavioral, although there were only 2 or 3 questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult person/group and how you went about compromising?   Answer Question

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details – Applied through campus, got a call within a week or 2

Interview Question – Was asked to do some work in Excel   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet Consultant interview questions and advice. All 140 interview reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.