FactSet Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2015

2.9

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

- Phone Interview: Pretty easy questions like what do you know about FactSet. What news providers do you read? - In person interview: You meet with about 5 different people who work at FactSet. All asking you the same questions that are listed on Glassdoor. If you do your research and be prepared you will do great.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at FactSet in June 2015.

Interview

I have a family member who works for the company. They referred me for the position and I got a call from a recruiter who then set up a phone interview during the next week.

Interview Questions

• What has your job search been like? Why did you choose your school?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then on site. Nice people, and they get back to you very quickly. Came in and gave a presentation about the software, and then was sent to 3 different interviews where they asked personality questions and did some excel stuff.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a manager at FactSet who seemed thoughtful and courteous. He asked mostly standard interview questions about my knowledge of FactSet and my experience and approach towards communicating with clients, troubleshooting their needs, and suggesting additional solutions. He also told me about the company culture and what was expected of the role.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I was referred from a former employee which resulted in an initial phone interview. After that, I was scheduled for 4 interviews in their Chicago Office. Those 4 interviews consisted of talking with 2 consultants, the regional director, a consultant manager, and lastly two other consultant managers.

Interview Questions

• Rate yourself on a scale 1-10 in Excel, would then ask you to answer questions according to your answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Day 1: Apply with resume and cover letter Day 2: Asked to phone interview. I replied with my availability. Day 10: Phone interview finally arranged for that day. Easy phone interview. Invited to interview in person Day 12: Interview along with other candidates. Rotate between four interviews after viewing a software demo. The demo did not work, and they blamed the internet connection. Two young consultants took us to lunch after the interviews. At this stage that I learned the key to acing a factset interview: have an employee referral. The consultants and candidates then spent the lunch discussing their referrals and what friends they had in common. The consultants had been referred themselves and they informed these candidates about the referral process and how well it works. I felt left out. Day 28: No response yet, fairly unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Game: Two people take turns drawing X's on a whiteboard and the first person to draw the 11th X wins. Each player can only put down one, two or three X's and they let you choose who goes first. Excel: Numbers 1-5000 with one missing, find the missing number. Why FactSet? Why consulting? Strengths/weakness? Time you failed? Pet peeve? What do you expect to be the biggest challenge as a consultant? Also they made us complete 5-minute exams, one of them similar to math SAT   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

One phone interview, then an in person interview in their New York office. The interview consisted of 4 interviews, of which two were one on one and two were two on one interviews. They asked to walk them through my resume, there were some behavioral questions, as well as some brain teasers.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at FactSet in March 2015.

Interview

For the first round I had an on-campus interview. There was an info session the night before with everyone who had been granted an interview as well. After preparing through Glassdoor, I was ready for every question the interviewer had but I thought it went very badly since the interviewer hadn't smiled at all the entire time. Despite this, at the end of the interview, they asked me to come for a second round at their office. The second round was held with a couple of other candidates. Before the interviews, there was a short demo on the software itself. The demo didn't come into play during the interviews but only served as a kind of intro to the technology. Afterwards, we each had four 30min interviews. It was all behavioral and they even asked some overlapping questions but one session had an excel test and a brainteaser game (yes, it was a game and not just a question). They took us all out to lunch at the end. Some other reviewers stated that the interviewers didn't seem interested in what they were saying but I've noticed that it might be because FactSet employees are all incredibly calm since the company looks for people who deal well under stress and pressure.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest pet peeve? What do you like to do in your free time? Pitch a recent article you read or piece of interest you have to me. Why FactSet? Why consulting? Why shouldn't I hire you? Talk about a time when you've gotten negative feedback/criticism by your boss. What do you look for in a job posting? Here's a list of numbers 1-5000, how find the one number that is missing using excel?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online (with a referral). Had an initial phone screen with HR who was friendly and asked about my background, what I understood about what FactSet did, how I follow the markets, and discussed a bit about my educational background. Was invited in to interview at the offices in NYC; consisted of a short demo of the software, 5 interviews (3 were 2:1, one with an HR manager, and one 1:1), and then taken out to lunch with two younger Consultants and the rest of the candidates. Expect your standard questions such as Why FS? Explain this position to someone on the street, how do follow the markets, behavioral questions, etc. As for technical, I was asked to rate myself 1-10 and then had a corresponding excel problem to do in front of my interviewers (I suggest rating yourself on the conservative side), I had the brainteaser involving measuring 4 gallons with a 5 and 3 gallon jug, figure out which ball is heaviest out of 8 using a scale twice, and then was asked to determine 40% of 18,000 with no calculator. AWAITING DECISION**

Interview Questions

• What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given and who gave it to you? Who is someone who admire in the business world? Pitch me your favorite app. Pitch me your favorite restaurant. Explain excel to a grandparent. Explain FactSet to someone on the street. Explain the stock market to a 5 year old.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and one in-person interview. The process was very laid back and friendly, which reflects the overall atmosphere here. My first phone interview was with someone from HR and then heard back about a week later to have another interview scheduled with a Consulting Manager on the phone and eventually a Senior Consultant in person. The process was very quick and I always heard back within a reasonable amount of time. Everyone was extremely nice throughout the whole process.

Interview Questions

• If you got this job and someone asked you what FactSet does and what you will be doing there, what would you tell them?   Answer Question
    • Explain a leadership and/or mentoring experience you've had and what you learned from it.   1 Answer