FactSet Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015
Updated Apr 3, 2015

2.9

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at FactSet in March 2015.

Interview

For the first round I had an on-campus interview. There was an info session the night before with everyone who had been granted an interview as well. After preparing through Glassdoor, I was ready for every question the interviewer had but I thought it went very badly since the interviewer hadn't smiled at all the entire time. Despite this, at the end of the interview, they asked me to come for a second round at their office. The second round was held with a couple of other candidates. Before the interviews, there was a short demo on the software itself. The demo didn't come into play during the interviews but only served as a kind of intro to the technology. Afterwards, we each had four 30min interviews. It was all behavioral and they even asked some overlapping questions but one session had an excel test and a brainteaser game (yes, it was a game and not just a question). They took us all out to lunch at the end. Some other reviewers stated that the interviewers didn't seem interested in what they were saying but I've noticed that it might be because FactSet employees are all incredibly calm since the company looks for people who deal well under stress and pressure.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest pet peeve? What do you like to do in your free time? Pitch a recent article you read or piece of interest you have to me. Why FactSet? Why consulting? Why shouldn't I hire you? Talk about a time when you've gotten negative feedback/criticism by your boss. What do you look for in a job posting? Here's a list of numbers 1-5000, how find the one number that is missing using excel?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online (with a referral).

Had an initial phone screen with HR who was friendly and asked about my background, what I understood about what FactSet did, how I follow the markets, and discussed a bit about my educational background.

Was invited in to interview at the offices in NYC; consisted of a short demo of the software, 5 interviews (3 were 2:1, one with an HR manager, and one 1:1), and then taken out to lunch with two younger Consultants and the rest of the candidates.

Expect your standard questions such as Why FS? Explain this position to someone on the street, how do follow the markets, behavioral questions, etc.

As for technical, I was asked to rate myself 1-10 and then had a corresponding excel problem to do in front of my interviewers (I suggest rating yourself on the conservative side), I had the brainteaser involving measuring 4 gallons with a 5 and 3 gallon jug, figure out which ball is heaviest out of 8 using a scale twice, and then was asked to determine 40% of 18,000 with no calculator.

AWAITING DECISION**

Interview Questions

• What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given and who gave it to you? Who is someone who admire in the business world? Pitch me your favorite app. Pitch me your favorite restaurant. Explain excel to a grandparent. Explain FactSet to someone on the street. Explain the stock market to a 5 year old.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and received an email asking to do a phone interview a short while later. The woman that I interviewed with was rather soft-spoken. Being soft-spoken myself, it was a struggle for us to really get the ball rolling regarding our conversation, and I felt that that really dragged down the atmosphere.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through campus recruitment and got an interview within 2 weeks. The interviewer asked behavioral questions, why you are interested, how did you hear about FactSet, explain a certain technology or system to a young child, and one brainteaser question.

My interviewer appears to be only serious and not that fun to hang out with...

Interview Questions

• What is the degree of the angle between the two clock legs when the time is 3:15?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I originally talked with a college recruiter at a career fair then received a phone call the next week for an interview. The interview consisted of four 30 minute interviews with different Consultants. One interview was about myself and why I would be a good fit for FactSet. Another interview consisted of a test with Excel. My third interview was focused on how I have reacted in certain situations. The fourth interview involved questions related to stocks, balance sheets, and FactSet itself. At the end there was a group "puzzle" with the three other candidates interviewing where we all had to work together to solve a problem.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you did something nice for someone?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview on campus with an info session the night before. Then a visit to the company offices where there was a dinner for all interviewing candidates in the evening. Then next morning, interviewed with 4 members of the team. All very positive about the company and the role. Was told they would make a decision in the next 2-3 weeks, but they called the following day to make the offer.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume through online portal, received email for phone interview about a week after. Talked to recruiter on the phone - pretty standard questions - why FactSet, are you proud of your GPA, why finance - basic questions. Was then moved on to the next round in the New York Office...Interviewed with 4 Consulting Managers that day and then went out to lunch with 2 consultants.

Overall, I thought it was a good experience but I was extremely disappointed with my final interview with one of the consulting managers. The interviewer asked me a brain teaser - How many golfballs fit in this room and I was not only caught off guard, but she failed to ask any of the other candidates the same question as well. This position is not a true consulting position like at a McKinsey or Bain, you are basically a big part of the customer support at FactSet so I am unclear why she thought that question was relevant.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT).

Interview

I applied online, and shortly after an HR manager called me to schedule a phone interview. I prepared heavily for the phone interview, however, she never called. After taking 2 business days to respond to my email about the "mix up," she rescheduled my interview for the following day. Two hours before our rescheduled interview, she asked to reschedule the interview for the following day. The next day, I waited for her phone call, which ended up never coming. Not that she was aware, but I was actually on a road trip and pulled over for a half hour waiting for her to call. Honestly, I was blown away by how inconsiderate she was of my time, by not calling not once, but twice. Four business days later, she reached out to reschedule AGAIN. By then, I was extremely turned off by the company and had reached out to a supervisor (I'm sure that reflected poorly on me, but I was beyond frustrated). I actually received a call for the third scheduled interview (2 weeks after the original one I had scheduled), but by a different woman. The questions were standard; know the company, know the position, just do your research. I ended up not even making it past the phone interview, which given my resume/interview answers, probably had something to do with my frustration with them. Kind of ridiculous and a total waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, "Explain what FactSet does," "What traits do you have that would benefit this position"   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Boston, MA).

Interview

Recruited through LinkedIn, went to campus career fair to submit resume. Then had on campus interview, short easy basic behavioral questions. Why FactSet, why you chose major/college. Then invited for onsite interview. Started with short overview of FactSet workstation, then 4 30 minute behavioral style interviews. Nothing too difficult, mostly behavioral, one brainteaser/logic question. Then 30 minute review with group logic puzzle. Finally lunch with two consultants. Everyone seemed to really want to know you and understand why you want to work there and why they should hire you. Personalities seemed collaborative and great.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge you have had to overcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation - great package

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Storrs, CT) in November 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with Factset on campus for their entry level consulting position. The interview process was pretty strait forward, I got an email from them to set up a time to come and do a one-on-one interview and had the actually interview the next week. The woman I interviewed with was nice, but didn't seem overly interested in what I was saying. He questions were very bland and really didn't give me a chance to expand on a lot of my experiences in and out of school. She really didn't throw any curve-ball questions in either, everything was really just about my resume, job experiences and things in the news.

Overall the interview was pleasant, but It seemed my person was uninterested with what I had to say.

Interview Questions

• Are you happy with you current GPA? I wasn't sure if this was a trick question, so I was unsure how to answer it at first.   Answer Question