FactSet Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.9

146 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at FactSet.

Set up a phone interview and the recruiter who called sounded very tired and listless. She seemed like she was going through the motions but had already decided I wasn't going to get the position, so I don't know why she called. She explained the position a little and how there was a training program before getting hired full-time, etc. etc.

Interview Questions
  • All the questions were very standard, such as "what was your GPA?" "what kind of work environment are you looking for?" "what are your strengths/weaknesses?". No brain teasers   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at FactSet.

Was referred by a friend inside the company. After being referred, I promptly received a phone call to discuss my general experience. Next I was flown out to my city of choice. In person interview consisted of 4 15-minute question sessions with employees. Many of the questions were redundant. Mostly personality and experienced based. One brain-teaser and one excel problem.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in May 2010.

1. Phone interview. Asked what stock I'm following and why. Also are there any stories I'm currently interested in relating to financial markets.
    2. Group interview. Met with head of consulting and current consultants. Asked about company and what ny understanding of the buy and sell side is.
    3. Group lunch. This is a lunch so I'd recommend being friendly but treat this like an interview. Do not get too comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Explain excel to your grandmother who is computer illiterate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in October 2012.

One on campus interview. All fit questions. Related to why I wanted to work for FactSet, what I knew about their competitors (Bloomberg, CapitalIQ, Thomson One). Which office I was interested in working in (they had 4)? Very friendly, and more like a conversation than a traditional interview. Talked about the career path that you could take within the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet.

They either face-to-face interview or phone interview. With me, I sent an email directly to recruiting because I was promised an interview, and applying through the website did me no good. The next day, they scheduled a phone interview for me.

If you're accepted into the next round, the fly you to where you want to work, and you interview with managers and have a dinner with Consultants.

With my experience, I missed the July hires round, so it was for September. The entire time, I felt as if the interviewer's mind was already made up about me (the interview just seemed like a formality, so that one of the Recruiters would fulfill her promise). They never asked me what I saw in MY future, why I wanted to work at FactSet, what I'd bring to the table, and what made me different. Instead, the interviewer stuck with the typical "name a difficult time..." or "name a time you worked on a team," that kind of stuff. I still really, truly believe that FactSet and I were perfect fits for each other, and I didn't get the opportunity to show that.

All the recruiters sounded REALLY nice, but, like it, unfortunately, seems like with most jobs, you really have to know someone.

She seemed like she just wanted to get over with the interview, so I asked her for a timeline, and it was then I knew I didn't get it (the old "we need to talk amongst ourselves and come to a decision" trick. Didn't even ask which city I wanted to be stationed at until I brought it up). Got a lot of "yeah"s and "uh-huh"s and "of course"s from her, but the entire "conversational" thing she didn't seem into. I've gotten ejected from firms where the interviewers sounded MUCH more interested in me as a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to work with a difficult person/people and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

First interview was a 30 minute, mostly behavioral interview on campus. Within one or two days I was asked to interview at the FactSet office from 9am-2pm or so.

First step of the second round process was a brief tutorial of the software, my advice is to truly pay attention - it will help you with the interview portion. Second was 4 sequential interviews with various employees - mostly behavioral. Be prepared for brainteasers too, and to show how you would solve theoretical client problems on excel. Finally, two consultants took the day's candidates to lunch. Be sure to ask well-developed questions to stand out during the lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult, but unexpected. I was asked to find the previous five days' closing prices for a particular stock. Then I was asked to find the average. I was given FactSet, as well as excel and was allowed to use any internet resource.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

4 behavioral style interview. One interview had an excel test and different question depending on how you rated yourself with proficiency to excel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

On campus first round, heard back a few hours later that they wanted me to come into New York for a final round. 4 interviews with managers and then lunch with two current consultants. Nothing too difficult, one excel problem which was pretty easy for someone with an excel background.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too technical. One excel problem with if-statements, and a few basic finance problems. "What is a stock?" Really nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I was initially interviewed on campus and then asked if I would be willing to fly out to San Francisco for a final interview. It was a pretty grueling process, with four back to back 30 minute interviews. Each interview covered a different area and there was an Excel test that you are required to do. After the four interviews, you have to do a group interview where you problem solve with the other people being interviewed and they watch how you work together. After that you are sent to lunch with some recent hires and you get to ask them questions and see what they do/don't like about working at FactSet.

Interview Questions
    • The Excel test is difficult and is very nerve racking. The interviewer watches you try to solve as many questions as you can in three minutes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norwalk, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Best interview process I've been through. Went to information session at my college, then was invited to interview on campus. Very straightforward interview with behavioral questions and company questions. Next was invited on site in Norwalk for final round interviews. Went through 5 interviews all very casual and straightforward. Make sure to do your research and have good questions for these interviews to show your interest in the company.

Interview Questions
    • How proficient with Excel are you? Then turned around the monitor and had me facilitate finding certain criteria in a spreadsheet
      What stock would you sell me right now and why?
      Tell me about news related to finance
        View Answer
    No negotiation

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!