FactSet

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details – First stage: Online application- I orignally heard about FactSet through a friend who was recruiting for them at my University, he interviewed me on their behalf and put my name forward to the HR team at FactSet. They got in contact with me and told me to apply online anyway.

Second Stage: Assesment day (made up of Excel test, maths test and finance test) and short interview- The interview is ok, although you should know details about FactSet such as competitors and the size of the company (try to say more than just Bloomberg). Maths test I found very simple but I do a maths based degree so i guess it depends on the applicant. Qustions such as simultaneous equations and percentages. Excel; use of pivot tables wasn't required but you will be tested on V look up which I couldn't do at the time. Finance test, I had no prior knowledge of Finance but it wasn't difficult. Things like 'what does IPO stand for?' came up and naming some financial indecies.

Third stage: Assesment day 2- Consists of group work, a sort of networking activity, talks by current employees, lunch and personal presentations. The group work is simple, organising tasks based of importance. All the other applicants at this stage were highly intelligent and personable so your assigned team should gel nicely. Don't try too hard to stand out, the loudest and the quietest didn't seem to make it through to the next stage, but that is just my view on it. Only thing to worry about on this day is the personal presentation which I have mentioned later.

Fourth Stage: Final Interview- This was the stage I slipped up on. I had three interviewers (all about thirty years old) who fired questions at me in quick succession. Not going to lie I found the fact that there were three of them tough as you never enter what feels like a conversation with any of them. Questions range from; 'what product do you think FactSet should offer that it currently doesn't? 'how would you help a client who can't access the system? to 'when have you been challenged?' and 'other than FactSet what graduate schemes have you applied to?'. The last question I mentioned there I definitely messed up as I had mentioned previously that I applied to all insurance roles apart from FactSet. I don't know what sort of answer they are looking for but telling them that you have applied to their competitors may be a better move. Lasts about an hour.

After every other stage they had got back to me the following day with an email asking me to come in again, however after the final interview after no response for about a week I assumed the worst and emailed them asking about my progress. I think this could have been a mistake but guess I will never know as they told me they were just about to email me saying I hadn't got the job. Had about a twenty minute chat with someone there who gave great feedback citing the reason for rejecting me was the lack on depth in my answers at interview and lack of financial knowledge: probably both fair points.

FactSet were the best company I applied for, with a HR team that keeps you informed and was always friendly. I would highly reccomend applying here as the role seems good and the application process, although thorough, is well organised.

Interview Question – You have to do a presentation (I think they call it a microteach). This is not for the fainthearted and you need to be comfortable with speaking in front of 6 or so people. Google microteach, as getting an idea what to do is the toughest part because of the large scope.   View Answer

Graduate Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details – A friend passed on my resume and I received a call to come in for testing. The day consisted of 3 tests, excel, numeracy and finance. The excel part was pretty basic, standard formatting, a few formulas and vlookup tables. The numeracy was pretty straight forward as well, don't need to study much for this one but I would recommend bringing a calculator in. For the finance part brush on up on your financial market knowledge.

Haven't heard back yet regarding next stage.

Interview Question – If you don't have a Finance background the finance section may be a bit tricky   Answer Question

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details – Had a 1st round interview, which included three tests and a half hour interview with one of Factset HR members.

Questions were
How did you here about Factset?
What information do our software give?
What would an investment management firm use our software for?
What differentiates us from our competitors?
What interests you about IT? How have you made sure you've kept upto date with IT, prove your interest?

Basically when preparing for the interview make sure you research the company thoroughly, they aren't going to ask you too much about yourself.

Good Luck!

Interview Question – what kind of data does our software provide?   Answer Question

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details – First round interview lasted about 15 minutes and was quite relaxed. Questions included: Why do you want to work for facset? What does factset do? What does a consultant do at facset? what skills do you think are important for a consultant? The 3 assessments, (numerical, financial awareness and excel) lasted 30 minutes each.

Interview Question – What is the difference between investment banking and investment management?   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Telephone interview: took 1 hour

-asked competency questions that had to be answered specifically from each piece of work experience on CV
-which 2 modules at University did you enjoy the most and why?
-describe the topic of your dissertation and the methods you used to carry out research?
-what is the difference between Investment Management and Investment Banking?
-if you were contacted by two clients, one typical client and one trial client at 5pm on a Friday with two very important tasks which would you prioritize and why?
-which aspects of finance are you most interested in?

Interview Question – what is the difference between Investment Management and Investment Banking?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – My interview consisted of 4 stages. The first was an online application where you have to do the usual things like cover letter and CV and you are asked various competency questions.

The second stage was a 2h30 minute process which consisted of a short, in-formal interview and 3 tests. The informal interview was a simple interview to see what I knew about FactSet and the position I was applying for and questions on my CV. The tests included a numeracy, finance and excel related tests. We had 30 minutes per test which is PLENTY so don't be worried about that. In terms of difficulty I found all 3 tests fairly straight forward with nothing too difficult.

I was then invited to the Assessment Centre which is a day the recruitment staff use to determine your personality. The day consists of a group exercise, a brief demonstration on the FactSet software with a few tasks to do and a microteach (they explain exactly what this is when you get invited, you should just follow the guidelines and you will be fine). You also get to meet some consultants and get a presentation so you can learn a bit more about the role. Try and make notes of what you learn from this part of the day in case you make it to the next stage.

The final stage consists of an interview with two senior managers. This is not like any other final round interviews in the financial services industry. You will have to make sure you know two things: 1) What does a Graduate Consultant do? 2) Why do you think you will be a good Graduate Consultant? Provided you know the answers to these two questions, and you have a genuine interest in the financial services world, you should be prepared.

Interview Question – Why didn't you want to be an analyst?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, invited to first round interview and assessments. Flexible with rearranging things for my schedule. Had to sit a 1.5 hour assessment for Excel, numeracy and financial markets - this was trickier than I thought. The interviewer was very personable, and was interested in my background, but no classic competency questions really came.

Interview Question – None - the interview questions were more about 'fit' than anything else.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant
City of London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in November 2011.

Interview Details – The first step is a phone interview, which is relatively easy and consists of basic questions about your CV, why this role and what is important to consultancy. The second step is a combination of three: Excel, finance and mathematical. They are not too difficult. Advice, look up vlookup in excel and brush up on your algebra. The third step is an assessment centre, where you have to do a microteach session (10 min teaching something)and group exercise. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the final stage.

Interview Question – Why consultancy?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet Graduate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.