FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

Personnel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT).

Interview

Got a call. Got phone screened. Face-to-face interview. Never heard from them again. Plain and simple.

I went to interview and they seemed very impressed. During the interview I was asked about my current experience which happened to be prior experience. I thought it was odd and asked them which resume they had. Turns out the recruiter provided the hiring team the wrong version of my resume as I had applied to the company a couple of years ago. My old resume must have still been attached to my profile in their ATS. Basically, the recruiter didn't know. Regardless, I followed up with the recruiter once a week for about three weeks and never heard from them again. I did not even receive a rejection email or a status.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Youngstown, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Youngstown, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

Very comfortable and professional. Applied. Got called for an interview about 2 weeks later. Got offered the job within two days after their interviews were over. Do your research about this field before going to the interview. They don't expect experts, but you should know a little about the current economy.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at FactSet in June 2015.

Interview

I have a family member who works for the company. They referred me for the position and I got a call from a recruiter who then set up a phone interview during the next week.

Interview Questions

• What has your job search been like?
      Why did you choose your school?

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

There were three rounds.technical phone round(30minutes), HR telephonic(30minutes), In-person interview (Around 2 hours). Was little nervous for telephonic rounds but had a pleasant experience for OnSite experience. I was taken straight to conference room with a team member and a lead on phone call.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Round
      What are types of recovery in sql server
      What kind of backup plan will you suggest for a data warehouse environment.
      What kind of experience you have with Business Intelligence
      How do you apply and validate patches and service packs

HR Telephonic:
      How did you hear about us
      Do you know what FactSet does
      What was your experience working in a team
      Have you ever worked with Remote teams
      why you are looking for a new job
      What is your experience in your current job

In Person Interview :

On site interview mostly was like a discussion and they were trying to relate if my experience can add a value to their problems they are dealing currently.Few questions like how do i validate data for duplicates, experience in documenting processes, oracle to sql server migration,BI Tools etc.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I got a call from someone in HR, and we talked about my classwork and school projects. A few weeks later, I got an email telling me that there were some openings, and we scheduled a technical phone interview.

The phone interview was very straightforward. They asked me about basic OOP questions (ex. polymorphism, generics, access modifiers). I was notified the next day that I had passed this round and we scheduled on onsite interview.

There were seven sessions: product demo, three technical interviews, HR interview, lunch, and interview with the director.

Technical interview one: They gave me C++ code for a linked list, and asked me to determine the output and to suggest improvements for the code. Even though I don't know C++, I was still able to follow the code based on my Java skills.

Technical interview two: Code a stack with push(), pop(), and getMin() at O(1).

Technical interview three: Class diagrams for a car rental service and corresponding database tables.

HR interview: We went over the previous interviews, and then there were some behavioral questions.

Director interview: Array based question - no coding here, just discussed approach to solving the problem.

They said that I would hear back in two weeks, but I got a call just two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1) Linked List code review
      2) Code a Stack
      3) Design question

Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate - the offer was very generous.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a manager at FactSet who seemed thoughtful and courteous. He asked mostly standard interview questions about my knowledge of FactSet and my experience and approach towards communicating with clients, troubleshooting their needs, and suggesting additional solutions. He also told me about the company culture and what was expected of the role.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I was referred from a former employee which resulted in an initial phone interview. After that, I was scheduled for 4 interviews in their Chicago Office. Those 4 interviews consisted of talking with 2 consultants, the regional director, a consultant manager, and lastly two other consultant managers.

Interview Questions

• Rate yourself on a scale 1-10 in Excel, would then ask you to answer questions according to your answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Hartford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through university career fair. Got a phone interview scheduled in the next week. They asked thorough object oriented concepts and basic sorting questions. Also was asked 2-4 basic questions on tree traversal etc and told to explain the pseudo code. There was no actual coding involved anywhere.
    Got a call for onsite in 2 days. The onsite interview was pretty straight forward standard Factset approach. In the first round I was given a C++ code of linked list implementation and asked to find bugs. Some of the other people interviewd on same day were given Java code though. In the second round they asked me to design some card which I said I am not familiar with then they told me to choose any game of my choice. I choose Tetris and they asked to explain everything on board. I have previously prepared for Tetris game and studied the classes so I started explaining that then the manager changed the class design and told me to explain with the classes he described and use OOP concepts like inheritance, polymorphism etc. I did my best and explained all functionalities but I might have confused them a bit.
    In the third round they initially asked some UNIX commands questions and then asked to write code for a tree traversal question on board. And they asked to explain searching a dictionary. I explained it through Trie and they asked many more questions about Trie. I did well in this round. The interviewers told me that all technical questions were done for the day so I felt relaxed.
    Then a guy from my team took me to a restaurant for a lunch but continuously asked questions for next 1.5 hrs which I didnt really expect. He asked everything from Priority queues, AVL trees, distributed programming etc. I couldnt answer many questions here and I felt terrible. He is smart but also sounded very arrogant and was always belittling my previous company experience. I didnt even eat quarter of my lunch with him continuously asking questions. None of the other people on my day were asked any technical questions in the lunch though.
    Next round was with HR, which was basic feedback round and general questions.
    Last round was with the hiring director. He explained the job role which is mostly working on the DB and said it involves only about 30% programming and rest analyzing. I had a certification in DB2 in my resume so he went on asking questions about DB2, MySQL etc. I unintentionally didnt show much interest in this role and then he explained another role which is also work on DB but involves a bit more programming of 70%. At the end he asked me choose one of them, but i said I am fine with either of them(which is a big mistake).
    At the end there was talk with an executive along with all other interviewees.

I got decision on the next working day and I didnt get the offer. I thought I performed well and was expecting they wouldnt consider the lunch interview. But I guess they did and it would have really impacted the decision. Also the final round with manager wasnt that good which might also have impacted.

Overall I really liked the interview procedure and the hospitality of Factset. I am really disappointed that I couldnt get in although I performed well in most rounds. The only bad experience I had was the lunch interview from the member of the team.

Interview Questions

• C++ code of linked list implementation, Tree traversals, Tetris game design, Trie, OOP concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through School job web side and 1 week later I got invited for a on campus interview. They asked me general questions about C++ and its generic question as well as a coding question, which you need to implement a queue using only stack.

A week later I got invited to an On-Site interview, there are 4 most important parts, Code review, Technical design, Algorithm, and discussing with site manager

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

One phone interview, then an in person interview in their New York office. The interview consisted of 4 interviews, of which two were one on one and two were two on one interviews. They asked to walk them through my resume, there were some behavioral questions, as well as some brain teasers.