FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

I applied on campus career fair. I got response for a phone interview about 10 days later. I was assigned a software manager from New York office. HR asked me to attached my sample code and my resume before interview, but obviously that interviewer didn't read anything before interviewing at all! And just made up a question during the call

Interview Questions
    • to design an application to search a particular document which saved in a tree.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Applied online, was called a few days later to set up a time to interview.

First Interview: Took a number of timed tests (math, logic, programming) and a test specific to the position I was applying for. Following that I interviewed with the person whom I would work with I got the job. I basically just walked through my resume.

Second and Final Interview: Interviewed directly with the senior manager. The interview was long, almost one hour in length. He gave me a in depth review of his team and the work they were doing, and also asked me about some of my work experience.

At no point did I feel any pressure or stress. FactSet really seems to want to hire those who are a good fits for the company. Everyone is really friendly and supportive. The recruiters are also very approachable and respond quickly.

Recruiter Interview

Interviewed on campus. Asked Behavior questions. Looking for personality not skills. Applied through campus. NIght Before was an hour presentation talking about the company. INterview was on campus with one man. Asked questions such as strengths, weaknesses, why this role ect....

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

Set up a phone interview and the recruiter who called sounded very tired and listless. She seemed like she was going through the motions but had already decided I wasn't going to get the position, so I don't know why she called. She explained the position a little and how there was a training program before getting hired full-time, etc. etc.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very standard, such as "what was your GPA?" "what kind of work environment are you looking for?" "what are your strengths/weaknesses?". No brain teasers   Answer Question

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FactSet.

Screening phone interview with HR, initial in-person interview with hiring manager group 1 but was not given an offer, initial call interview with hiring manager group 2, and round two in-person interviews with hiring manager group 2 and two colleagues each individually.

Everyone was friendly and asked standard questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Tried to negotiate but the company would not submit a new offer.

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

I was referred by an employee, had a brief screening phone interview with an HR rep from Norwalk ("tell me about yourself") and then an in-person in the NYC office. Purely technical interview with the head of group - questions about basic finance and programming terms. ("What is HTML? What is CSS? What is SQL? Why is it called 'hypertext?' and 'markup?' Why is HTML not a language? What makes CSS cascading? Why does the value of a stock go up when a company profits? Why would anyone buy a stock? What happens to a bond when interest rates go up?") Basically no behavioral questions, other than "why are you leaving your current job?" The questions weren't very difficult, but the interviewer was inquisitive (though polite,) and really drilled into every topic - anything I wasn't 100% certain of, I got more in-depth questions on.

Interview Questions
    • What happens to a bond when interest rates go up? Why isn't HTML considered a language?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

This was a position with StreetAccount LLC which was acquired by FactSet not too long ago. Spoke with the HR recruiter on the phone and immediately invited to interview with the hiring manager and two of the team developers. The team is very easy going and functions like a start up company even though it's part of FactSet. Took the time to explained to me about their job and asked questions around the projects i have done in the past. Asked me to send them my code samples after the onsite interview and then got the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult. They asked about my past experience and whether if i have used certain .NET technology.   Answer Question

Got another offer that matched better with my career goals. I would certainly have taken the offer otherwise.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at FactSet.

Was referred by a friend inside the company. After being referred, I promptly received a phone call to discuss my general experience. Next I was flown out to my city of choice. In person interview consisted of 4 15-minute question sessions with employees. Many of the questions were redundant. Mostly personality and experienced based. One brain-teaser and one excel problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Associate Content Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FactSet.

Consisted of 2 initial phone interviews then an in person meeting with the hiring manager and another team member. The interviews itself were fine - your average questions - personality and work history overview - nothing tricky or too hard. The process though was dragged out for 2 months and in the end HR never responded back. Communication was not there - they asked me to send over application documents - I faxed it over asked for confirmation it was received - never heard back. Waited a week to get an email saying that the fax didn't show up and to send it again - scanned it this time - asked for confirmation it was received and never heard back. Truly unprofessional and left a bad impression with me.

Interview Questions
    • nothing too out of the ordinary - mostly personality questions and work history   Answer Question