FactSet

Getting the Interview

330 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied after seeing job listing on indeed.com, After an initial phone round covering basic programming/algorithms, was asked to come on-site for an interview. Company paid for transportation and hotel.

Spent the day interviewing with various members of the company, some HR, but most of the interviews were technical. Most interviews focused on proficiency with algorithms and data structures, although there was a code review that required strong syntactic knowledge.

Interview Question – Design a board game.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was a 30 minute, mostly behavioral interview on campus. Within one or two days I was asked to interview at the FactSet office from 9am-2pm or so.

First step of the second round process was a brief tutorial of the software, my advice is to truly pay attention - it will help you with the interview portion. Second was 4 sequential interviews with various employees - mostly behavioral. Be prepared for brainteasers too, and to show how you would solve theoretical client problems on excel. Finally, two consultants took the day's candidates to lunch. Be sure to ask well-developed questions to stand out during the lunch.

Interview Question – Not difficult, but unexpected. I was asked to find the previous five days' closing prices for a particular stock. Then I was asked to find the average. I was given FactSet, as well as excel and was allowed to use any internet resource.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details – 4 behavioral style interview. One interview had an excel test and different question depending on how you rated yourself with proficiency to excel.

Interview Question – Not really anything too difficult   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – The interview includes all the elements covered in a Financial Engineering course. Most of the questions are based on BS Eqn., Bonds & C++ .
My experience with most of the interviewers was good except one, where the interviewer was not very articulate about her questions and was asking questions on mortgages without describing the nature of the contracts and she was also rude at times. But I enjoyed interviewing with other managers, they didn't just asked you questions but also had a good discussion on it. I did well, but I got a reject. They are very choosy for this position as its a very small department.

Interview Question – You don't really need to prepare anything, if you are a passionate Quant and enjoyed FE course.   Answer Question

New York, NY

Interview Details – On campus first round, heard back a few hours later that they wanted me to come into New York for a final round. 4 interviews with managers and then lunch with two current consultants. Nothing too difficult, one excel problem which was pretty easy for someone with an excel background.

Interview Question – Nothing too technical. One excel problem with if-statements, and a few basic finance problems. "What is a stock?" Really nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

Interview Details – I was initially interviewed on campus and then asked if I would be willing to fly out to San Francisco for a final interview. It was a pretty grueling process, with four back to back 30 minute interviews. Each interview covered a different area and there was an Excel test that you are required to do. After the four interviews, you have to do a group interview where you problem solve with the other people being interviewed and they watch how you work together. After that you are sent to lunch with some recent hires and you get to ask them questions and see what they do/don't like about working at FactSet.

Interview Question – The Excel test is difficult and is very nerve racking. The interviewer watches you try to solve as many questions as you can in three minutes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on career fair. After a phone interview, I was invited to onsite three weeks later. Three rounds of technical interviews and none of them was very hard.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question is the design question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – First round was telephonic interview. Based on my resume the interviewer started with asking about my Big data project and based about RegExp that I used in the project, asked a quick question on that. Then he asked about the technologies used in the project. Then he asked few Java question - easy ones. Since, I'd mention Spring MVC in my resume, he asked about Dependency Injection.

I passed the First round and I was called onsite.

Onsite, first round, two engineers asked me to design a game - Tetris within 45 minutes, on paper. I stumbled a little bit in the beginning. Then I started designing it, making models and explaining them what I'm doing at the same time. They asked me questions and their doubt meanwhile which helped me to revise. The time was up, I pretty much had covered most of the game features.
Second round was from the Information Systems engineers, they asked my SQL queries. The question was I have a table containing millions of records and I have to calculate sum, avg, mean, median and SD without using inbuilt methods of SQL ( I can use count though).
And that has to done by writing only SQL queries.
Further on, the design tables and more SQL queries given some business requirements. And how would I do the same using MapReduce.
Third round was algorithms and data structures. A program on String manipulation and reverse a Linked List. Then some objectives on front-end Javascript. Then a mathematical problem/puzzle on '25 Horses problem'.

Then there was a lunch with 2 engineers. We had conversations about myself, about company, about Norwalk.

After getting back, I had one more interview round that was HR round. There were 2 HR's who brainstormed me with lots of behavioural questions like why I want this company, why should they choose me, what stands me out from crowd, what qualities I have better than others and so on.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I would say was to design a game which was Tetris. I never did programming to build a game which was so dynamic.
The next I would say was 25 Horse problem.
  Answer Question

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details – 3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected.   View Answer

Consultant
Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Best interview process I've been through. Went to information session at my college, then was invited to interview on campus. Very straightforward interview with behavioral questions and company questions. Next was invited on site in Norwalk for final round interviews. Went through 5 interviews all very casual and straightforward. Make sure to do your research and have good questions for these interviews to show your interest in the company.

Interview Question – How proficient with Excel are you? Then turned around the monitor and had me facilitate finding certain criteria in a spreadsheet
What stock would you sell me right now and why?
Tell me about news related to finance
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet interview questions and advice. All 330 interview reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.