FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

Recruiter Interview

Interviewed on campus. Asked Behavior questions. Looking for personality not skills. Applied through campus. NIght Before was an hour presentation talking about the company. INterview was on campus with one man. Asked questions such as strengths, weaknesses, why this role ect....

Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at FactSet.

Set up a phone interview and the recruiter who called sounded very tired and listless. She seemed like she was going through the motions but had already decided I wasn't going to get the position, so I don't know why she called. She explained the position a little and how there was a training program before getting hired full-time, etc. etc.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very standard, such as "what was your GPA?" "what kind of work environment are you looking for?" "what are your strengths/weaknesses?". No brain teasers   Answer Question

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Originally started through campus recruiting. Initial interview was for Consultant, eventually was moved over to Product Development interview. Interview was at the corporate headquarters in Norwalk, Ct. Interviewed with 6 different members of PD team for about 45min-1hr each. Questions asked ranged from general i.e. "Do you have any coding experience" to general finance "What are some processes for company valuation, and how would you go about them" along with specific questions in excel.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite excel function (answered nested if or pivot tables). Okay, now make either in this spreadsheet.   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiation, was told similar situation form other entry level positions in PD.

Senior Software Engineer Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

This was a position with StreetAccount LLC which was acquired by FactSet not too long ago. Spoke with the HR recruiter on the phone and immediately invited to interview with the hiring manager and two of the team developers. The team is very easy going and functions like a start up company even though it's part of FactSet. Took the time to explained to me about their job and asked questions around the projects i have done in the past. Asked me to send them my code samples after the onsite interview and then got the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult. They asked about my past experience and whether if i have used certain .NET technology.   Answer Question

Got another offer that matched better with my career goals. I would certainly have taken the offer otherwise.

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

I was referred by an employee, had a brief screening phone interview with an HR rep from Norwalk ("tell me about yourself") and then an in-person in the NYC office. Purely technical interview with the head of group - questions about basic finance and programming terms. ("What is HTML? What is CSS? What is SQL? Why is it called 'hypertext?' and 'markup?' Why is HTML not a language? What makes CSS cascading? Why does the value of a stock go up when a company profits? Why would anyone buy a stock? What happens to a bond when interest rates go up?") Basically no behavioral questions, other than "why are you leaving your current job?" The questions weren't very difficult, but the interviewer was inquisitive (though polite,) and really drilled into every topic - anything I wasn't 100% certain of, I got more in-depth questions on.

Interview Questions
    • What happens to a bond when interest rates go up? Why isn't HTML considered a language?   Answer Question

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at FactSet.

Screening phone interview with HR, initial in-person interview with hiring manager group 1 but was not given an offer, initial call interview with hiring manager group 2, and round two in-person interviews with hiring manager group 2 and two colleagues each individually.

Everyone was friendly and asked standard questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Tried to negotiate but the company would not submit a new offer.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at FactSet.

Was referred by a friend inside the company. After being referred, I promptly received a phone call to discuss my general experience. Next I was flown out to my city of choice. In person interview consisted of 4 15-minute question sessions with employees. Many of the questions were redundant. Mostly personality and experienced based. One brain-teaser and one excel problem.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in May 2010.

1. Phone interview. Asked what stock I'm following and why. Also are there any stories I'm currently interested in relating to financial markets.
    2. Group interview. Met with head of consulting and current consultants. Asked about company and what ny understanding of the buy and sell side is.
    3. Group lunch. This is a lunch so I'd recommend being friendly but treat this like an interview. Do not get too comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Explain excel to your grandmother who is computer illiterate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in October 2012.

One on campus interview. All fit questions. Related to why I wanted to work for FactSet, what I knew about their competitors (Bloomberg, CapitalIQ, Thomson One). Which office I was interested in working in (they had 4)? Very friendly, and more like a conversation than a traditional interview. Talked about the career path that you could take within the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!