FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Hartford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through university career fair. Got a phone interview scheduled in the next week. They asked thorough object oriented concepts and basic sorting questions. Also was asked 2-4 basic questions on tree traversal etc and told to explain the pseudo code. There was no actual coding involved anywhere.
    Got a call for onsite in 2 days. The onsite interview was pretty straight forward standard Factset approach. In the first round I was given a C++ code of linked list implementation and asked to find bugs. Some of the other people interviewd on same day were given Java code though. In the second round they asked me to design some card which I said I am not familiar with then they told me to choose any game of my choice. I choose Tetris and they asked to explain everything on board. I have previously prepared for Tetris game and studied the classes so I started explaining that then the manager changed the class design and told me to explain with the classes he described and use OOP concepts like inheritance, polymorphism etc. I did my best and explained all functionalities but I might have confused them a bit.
    In the third round they initially asked some UNIX commands questions and then asked to write code for a tree traversal question on board. And they asked to explain searching a dictionary. I explained it through Trie and they asked many more questions about Trie. I did well in this round. The interviewers told me that all technical questions were done for the day so I felt relaxed.
    Then a guy from my team took me to a restaurant for a lunch but continuously asked questions for next 1.5 hrs which I didnt really expect. He asked everything from Priority queues, AVL trees, distributed programming etc. I couldnt answer many questions here and I felt terrible. He is smart but also sounded very arrogant and was always belittling my previous company experience. I didnt even eat quarter of my lunch with him continuously asking questions. None of the other people on my day were asked any technical questions in the lunch though.
    Next round was with HR, which was basic feedback round and general questions.
    Last round was with the hiring director. He explained the job role which is mostly working on the DB and said it involves only about 30% programming and rest analyzing. I had a certification in DB2 in my resume so he went on asking questions about DB2, MySQL etc. I unintentionally didnt show much interest in this role and then he explained another role which is also work on DB but involves a bit more programming of 70%. At the end he asked me choose one of them, but i said I am fine with either of them(which is a big mistake).
    At the end there was talk with an executive along with all other interviewees.

I got decision on the next working day and I didnt get the offer. I thought I performed well and was expecting they wouldnt consider the lunch interview. But I guess they did and it would have really impacted the decision. Also the final round with manager wasnt that good which might also have impacted.

Overall I really liked the interview procedure and the hospitality of Factset. I am really disappointed that I couldnt get in although I performed well in most rounds. The only bad experience I had was the lunch interview from the member of the team.

Interview Questions

• C++ code of linked list implementation, Tree traversals, Tetris game design, Trie, OOP concepts.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at FactSet in March 2015.

Interview

For the first round I had an on-campus interview. There was an info session the night before with everyone who had been granted an interview as well. After preparing through Glassdoor, I was ready for every question the interviewer had but I thought it went very badly since the interviewer hadn't smiled at all the entire time. Despite this, at the end of the interview, they asked me to come for a second round at their office. The second round was held with a couple of other candidates. Before the interviews, there was a short demo on the software itself. The demo didn't come into play during the interviews but only served as a kind of intro to the technology. Afterwards, we each had four 30min interviews. It was all behavioral and they even asked some overlapping questions but one session had an excel test and a brainteaser game (yes, it was a game and not just a question). They took us all out to lunch at the end. Some other reviewers stated that the interviewers didn't seem interested in what they were saying but I've noticed that it might be because FactSet employees are all incredibly calm since the company looks for people who deal well under stress and pressure.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest pet peeve? What do you like to do in your free time? Pitch a recent article you read or piece of interest you have to me. Why FactSet? Why consulting? Why shouldn't I hire you? Talk about a time when you've gotten negative feedback/criticism by your boss. What do you look for in a job posting? Here's a list of numbers 1-5000, how find the one number that is missing using excel?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A friend of mine referred me. Got a mail from recruiter in Norwalk after almost 1 month. Chose SFO as preferred location and was redirected to SFO recruiter. Recruiter in SFO mailed me after 2 weeks and scheduled a phone interview. Phone interview was easy. They asked about OOPS and data structures, also asked me to code 1 program (Questions below). Got a call to onsite next day. Onsite interview was average. Usual FactSet format. 1 datastructure/algorithm round, 1 design round, 1 code review round and an interview with hiring manager. Also lunch with 2 engineers.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:
      OOPS and data structures.
      Coding Question: Interweaving of 2 linkedlists. Join 1->3->5 and 2->4->6. Output: 1->2->3->4->5->6.

• Onsite:
      1. How do you find intersection area or coordinates of 2 intersecting windows or rectangles. (x, y) coordinate of leftmost corner, and width and height of the windows are given.

• Onsite:
      2. Design spreadsheet in Excel.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a call after the career fair at college. There was an initial phone in round, where some basic OOP and data structure questions were asked (virtual function, virtual table, hashtables, linked list etc). After this initial screening, I was invited for an onsite interview. There were 5 rounds in total. 3 technical, one with director and finally HR. HR round seemed to just take feedback on the interview process. The entire experience was quite pleasent.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online (with a referral).

Had an initial phone screen with HR who was friendly and asked about my background, what I understood about what FactSet did, how I follow the markets, and discussed a bit about my educational background.

Was invited in to interview at the offices in NYC; consisted of a short demo of the software, 5 interviews (3 were 2:1, one with an HR manager, and one 1:1), and then taken out to lunch with two younger Consultants and the rest of the candidates.

Expect your standard questions such as Why FS? Explain this position to someone on the street, how do follow the markets, behavioral questions, etc.

As for technical, I was asked to rate myself 1-10 and then had a corresponding excel problem to do in front of my interviewers (I suggest rating yourself on the conservative side), I had the brainteaser involving measuring 4 gallons with a 5 and 3 gallon jug, figure out which ball is heaviest out of 8 using a scale twice, and then was asked to determine 40% of 18,000 with no calculator.

AWAITING DECISION**

Interview Questions

• What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given and who gave it to you? Who is someone who admire in the business world? Pitch me your favorite app. Pitch me your favorite restaurant. Explain excel to a grandparent. Explain FactSet to someone on the street. Explain the stock market to a 5 year old.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Get phone interview 3 days after application submitted. In the phone interview, they ask about your resume and why you choose factset, then ask three technical questions. Technique question include one basic language problem, one coding problem and one free answer problem.

Interview Questions

• 1. array, linkedlist, arraylist. How they work and comparison.
      2. Fibonacci serial.
      3. If you have one giant text file contain many string. How can you write a function to know if the input word is in the file.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

one phone interview, once it done they will contact your if you are good for an on site interview, one on site interview, it is whole day interview, technical question in the morning, other interview in the afternoon. Lunch is provide.

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

the interviewer asked normal background questions first and asked a little about each of my previous jobs, standard questions. look up other example questions and logic questions for sample interviews online. the actual answer does not matter as much as your confidence and the logic behind how you arrived at your answer. do not hesitate

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

First they will ask for you to send sample code, and that will mostly dictate how your interview will go. They mostly work in C++, but they are fine with Java if you understand your OOD concepts.

Interview Questions

• If you have a sorted array that is initialized with size 100, the values stored would be for example 1, 2, 3,.... ect. Describe an algorithm that would check if there is a duplicate number and if so return it.   3 Answers