FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
Updated Mar 29, 2015

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at FactSet in March 2015.

For the first round I had an on-campus interview. There was an info session the night before with everyone who had been granted an interview as well. After preparing through Glassdoor, I was ready for every question the interviewer had but I thought it went very badly since the interviewer hadn't smiled at all the entire time. Despite this, at the end of the interview, they asked me to come for a second round at their office. The second round was held with a couple of other candidates. Before the interviews, there was a short demo on the software itself. The demo didn't come into play during the interviews but only served as a kind of intro to the technology. Afterwards, we each had four 30min interviews. It was all behavioral and they even asked some overlapping questions but one session had an excel test and a brainteaser game (yes, it was a game and not just a question). They took us all out to lunch at the end. Some other reviewers stated that the interviewers didn't seem interested in what they were saying but I've noticed that it might be because FactSet employees are all incredibly calm since the company looks for people who deal well under stress and pressure.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest pet peeve? What do you like to do in your free time? Pitch a recent article you read or piece of interest you have to me. Why FactSet? Why consulting? Why shouldn't I hire you? Talk about a time when you've gotten negative feedback/criticism by your boss. What do you look for in a job posting? Here's a list of numbers 1-5000, how find the one number that is missing using excel?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in March 2015.

Get phone interview 3 days after application submitted. In the phone interview, they ask about your resume and why you choose factset, then ask three technical questions. Technique question include one basic language problem, one coding problem and one free answer problem.

Interview Questions
    • 1. array, linkedlist, arraylist. How they work and comparison.
      2. Fibonacci serial.
      3. If you have one giant text file contain many string. How can you write a function to know if the input word is in the file.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet in March 2015.

one phone interview, once it done they will contact your if you are good for an on site interview, one on site interview, it is whole day interview, technical question in the morning, other interview in the afternoon. Lunch is provide.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

the interviewer asked normal background questions first and asked a little about each of my previous jobs, standard questions. look up other example questions and logic questions for sample interviews online. the actual answer does not matter as much as your confidence and the logic behind how you arrived at your answer. do not hesitate

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

First they will ask for you to send sample code, and that will mostly dictate how your interview will go. They mostly work in C++, but they are fine with Java if you understand your OOD concepts.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a sorted array that is initialized with size 100, the values stored would be for example 1, 2, 3,.... ect. Describe an algorithm that would check if there is a duplicate number and if so return it.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

Applied through college. First there will be a technical interview. Interviewer will go over your resume quickly and ask you a technical question. May require pseudo code implementation details over the phone. After this you will be called for an onsite for a full day interview. The day starts with 3 technical rounds. First, is a code review, then a design question. Third is an algorithms round. After that you have HR round followed by Hiring Manager/Director round. Results are informed within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Phone - Design a calculator that parses calculations given in string (use infix to postfix using stacks)
      Onsite:
      First : Code Review (C++ implementation of Linked List with missing code and or errors. Identify those and suggest improvements)
      Second: Design (any) game of your choice. (Use Object Oriented Programming concepts for classes)
      Third: Create auto-complete suggestions for user input string. (I used trie)
      Fourth: HR -talk about your preferred role and responsibilities
      Fifth: Director - Discuss resume and a problem in high level details (no coding)

Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

I submitted my resume and received an email asking to do a phone interview a short while later. The woman that I interviewed with was rather soft-spoken. Being soft-spoken myself, it was a struggle for us to really get the ball rolling regarding our conversation, and I felt that that really dragged down the atmosphere.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

talked to them in career fair and Hr connect me 2 days after career fair for the phone interview. Just one day after phone interview I got email about ask me for a onsite interview! Very effective! The onsite interview is two days later since my schedule is full in the following week. On site interview is super good experience! Everyone is super nice and open to discuss. Even through that I got bad news the following day, I am still think this company is amazing and highly recommended

Interview Questions
    • Tree Bfs(phone interview)   Answer Question
    • Triangle class code review(very bad code and I think I did not good there) linked list related problem and oop design related problem.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

I applied through campus recruitment and got an interview within 2 weeks. The interviewer asked behavioral questions, why you are interested, how did you hear about FactSet, explain a certain technology or system to a young child, and one brainteaser question.

My interviewer appears to be only serious and not that fun to hang out with...

Interview Questions
    • What is the degree of the angle between the two clock legs when the time is 3:15?   View Answer