FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

Submitted my resume through online portal, received email for phone interview about a week after. Talked to recruiter on the phone - pretty standard questions - why FactSet, are you proud of your GPA, why finance - basic questions. Was then moved on to the next round in the New York Office...Interviewed with 4 Consulting Managers that day and then went out to lunch with 2 consultants.

Overall, I thought it was a good experience but I was extremely disappointed with my final interview with one of the consulting managers. The interviewer asked me a brain teaser - How many golfballs fit in this room and I was not only caught off guard, but she failed to ask any of the other candidates the same question as well. This position is not a true consulting position like at a McKinsey or Bain, you are basically a big part of the customer support at FactSet so I am unclear why she thought that question was relevant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I applied online, and shortly after an HR manager called me to schedule a phone interview. I prepared heavily for the phone interview, however, she never called. After taking 2 business days to respond to my email about the "mix up," she rescheduled my interview for the following day. Two hours before our rescheduled interview, she asked to reschedule the interview for the following day. The next day, I waited for her phone call, which ended up never coming. Not that she was aware, but I was actually on a road trip and pulled over for a half hour waiting for her to call. Honestly, I was blown away by how inconsiderate she was of my time, by not calling not once, but twice. Four business days later, she reached out to reschedule AGAIN. By then, I was extremely turned off by the company and had reached out to a supervisor (I'm sure that reflected poorly on me, but I was beyond frustrated). I actually received a call for the third scheduled interview (2 weeks after the original one I had scheduled), but by a different woman. The questions were standard; know the company, know the position, just do your research. I ended up not even making it past the phone interview, which given my resume/interview answers, probably had something to do with my frustration with them. Kind of ridiculous and a total waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, "Explain what FactSet does," "What traits do you have that would benefit this position"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The hiring process starts with a phone interview. The interviewer asked some basic Data Structure/Algorithm questions. I was not asked to write code though.Then the recruiter contacted me to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview has 3 technical rounds, in every technical round there will be two engineers, 1 HR round and 1 Director round. The first technical round consists of Code Review. I was asked to find problems in a linked list implementation written in C++ although i am not a C++ guy but the problems were logical in nature and could be easily figured out even if you dont know C++. The second round was design round. Asked me to design an inverted index based search engine. In the third round they asked me to design an arithmetic expression evaluator, which basically means that you need to know about converting an infix expression to post fix expression and then evaluating the posfix expression. Then the HR took an overall feedback from me regarding the interview process. The last round was Director round in which my overall past experiences were discussed.

Interview Questions
    • How will you evaluate an arithmetic expression. (Infix->Postfix->Postfix evaluation)   Answer Question
    I negotiated and got a better deal. I would say that if you have a resonably good feedback from the HR then you should try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Recruited through LinkedIn, went to campus career fair to submit resume. Then had on campus interview, short easy basic behavioral questions. Why FactSet, why you chose major/college. Then invited for onsite interview. Started with short overview of FactSet workstation, then 4 30 minute behavioral style interviews. Nothing too difficult, mostly behavioral, one brainteaser/logic question. Then 30 minute review with group logic puzzle. Finally lunch with two consultants. Everyone seemed to really want to know you and understand why you want to work there and why they should hire you. Personalities seemed collaborative and great.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest challenge you have had to overcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiation - great package

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I turned in resume through career fair and they contacted me around 2 weeks later for on campus interview. The interview started with technical questions. The one question was converting complete tree to double linked list.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were expectable. It was matter of how much you practice coding on a paper.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Systems Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

technical phone interview started with general project experiences, problems faced and went on through data structures regarding time complexities. Requirement was more on web development, but was asked on data structures deeply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Storrs, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Storrs, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

I interviewed with Factset on campus for their entry level consulting position. The interview process was pretty strait forward, I got an email from them to set up a time to come and do a one-on-one interview and had the actually interview the next week. The woman I interviewed with was nice, but didn't seem overly interested in what I was saying. He questions were very bland and really didn't give me a chance to expand on a lot of my experiences in and out of school. She really didn't throw any curve-ball questions in either, everything was really just about my resume, job experiences and things in the news.

Overall the interview was pleasant, but It seemed my person was uninterested with what I had to say.

Interview Questions
    • Are you happy with you current GPA? I wasn't sure if this was a trick question, so I was unsure how to answer it at first.   Answer Question

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

Contacted through career fair at school. I was asked to come to the Norwalk offices for a 3 hour long interview process. Very laid-back interview with 6 different employees, 30 minutes each. Mostly asked questions based on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness that is not actually a strength?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet.

Met at career fair, received an email to schedule a phone interview. It was a 50/50 behavioral-technical interview. A quick data structure manipulation question, and questions about experience.

Went onsite for a final round--1 code review, 2 technical interviews, and behavioral. The company is awesome, and everyone was super nice. Still waiting to hear about an offer.