FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014
Updated Sep 23, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in October 2009.

I had a 30 minute interview during which I was extensively quizzed on C++ pointers, inherited classes, and data structures. After the interview I still didn't even know what the position would do!

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2009.

I interviewed for a position at FactSet while completing my degree. HR reached out promptly following a college career fair, which made the process move quickly. FactSet enjoys creating an excitement and that leads to a positive perception of the corporate culture. Fresh, agile in hiring process, not too bureaucratic, and not extra phone screens.

Went through one 1:1 phone screen interview, followed 10 days later by a full-day onsite interview speaking with systems engineers and engineering managers. Four 45-minute technical interviews with pairs of interviewers through the day, plus intro, interview with manager, interview with asst director, discussion with HR, and lunch. Long day. I received an offer a few days later and was given 2 weeks to reply.

Interview Questions
    • List the platforms you're comfortable working on. Now, how would you compile and secure this code on [server platform you didn't list] ?   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in December 2013.

written test, vocabulary test, technical round, personal interview

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FactSet in October 2013.

On campus interview was basic behavioral - quick around 30 minutes. Final round interview was long - 9am-3pm. It included 4 different interviews with senior consultants who asked a variety of questions. I interviewed with 2 other prospective employees and we rotated around interviewers. At the end of the 4 interviews we went out to lunch with two newly hired consultants. This was all part of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Name 4 things you think a consultant should have, rank their importance, explain how you exemplify each quality, rate your answers for each quality - A B C D.

They also asked several brain teaser questions - 8 equally weighted balls but one is slightly lighter, find the lighter ball with a balance scale and only two chances to change what is on the scale.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at FactSet in May 2012.

1. Telephonic technical : Very methodical, questions within a closed domain. Domains which you chose you are strong in.
    2. Office Campus Interview Round 1 : General Analytical questions.
    3. Office Campus Interview Round 2 : .Net/ C#/ Javascript questions.
    4. Office Campus Interview Round 3 : SQL questions.
    5. Office Campus Interview Round 4 : Puzzles
    6. Office Campus Interview Round 4 : General Programming concepts including knowledge on Object oriented design paradigm, SDLC. Previous project knowledge.
    7. HR round was informational, little negotiation. Hopefully you will not need to negotiate :)

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to create your own .net language similar to C#   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet.

Graduation/Post Graduation with Min 60%

NO Negotiation

written test
    3 rounds of interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at FactSet in October 2013.

HR phone interview followed by a technical phone interview.
    Onsite: 3 technical interviews, one Director interview and one HR interview.
    Interview Questions:
    1. Code Review: Find bugs in a linked-list implementation.
    2. Design: Design the game of Chess.
    3. DS and Algorithms: Find a number in a Linked List, Implement Google Auto-complete, What data structure to represent employees in a company.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2012.

Was initially contacted for a basic phone interview after a Factset client spoke to them on myself. Phone interview consisted of a basic reuse walkthrough and information about the company/position. Was then asked to attend a final interview at their Boston office.

Interviewed alongside three other candidates. Rotated among 4 interviewers, roughly 30 minutes each. Questions ranged from basic to curveballs and brainteasers. Afterwards they put all of the candidates together in a board room and has us solve a group brainteaser on a whiteboard.

Treated to lunch with current consultants afterwards.

Was contacted via email two weeks later informing me that I was not offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Group brainteaser involving riddles about magic potions...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at FactSet.

The first step is a screening interview. This is typically a phone screen, but for university applicants, this can be a campus interview. The screening interview lasts about 30 minutes,

The second and final round is an on-site set of interviews that lasts most of the day. The actual interviews vary by department. This is a rough schedule:
    - 9:00 Demo of the software
    - 10:00 Quiz
    - 10:15 Tech Interview 1
    - 10:45 Tech Interview 2
    - 11:30 Code Review
    - 12:15 Lunch
    - 2:00 Director Interview
    - 2:30 HR Interview

Interview order and times can be slightly different,

Interview Questions
    • You are given a stream of directions in [up, down, left, right]. Each direction means move one unit in that direction. After completing the movements, you will return to the position where you started. Compute the area of the shape you created.

I was asked this when FactSet interviewed me a very long time ago. I liked the question so I sometimes use it myself when I interview other applicants..
        View Answers (2)

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!