FactSet

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
350 candidate interviews

Software Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in October 2009.

Interview Details – I had a 30 minute interview during which I was extensively quizzed on C++ pointers, inherited classes, and data structures. After the interview I still didn't even know what the position would do!

Interview Question – Search time of an array compared to a linked list.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a position at FactSet while completing my degree. HR reached out promptly following a college career fair, which made the process move quickly. FactSet enjoys creating an excitement and that leads to a positive perception of the corporate culture. Fresh, agile in hiring process, not too bureaucratic, and not extra phone screens.

Went through one 1:1 phone screen interview, followed 10 days later by a full-day onsite interview speaking with systems engineers and engineering managers. Four 45-minute technical interviews with pairs of interviewers through the day, plus intro, interview with manager, interview with asst director, discussion with HR, and lunch. Long day. I received an offer a few days later and was given 2 weeks to reply.

Interview Question – List the platforms you're comfortable working on. Now, how would you compile and secure this code on [server platform you didn't list] ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation

QA Automation Engineer Interview

QA Automation Engineer
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in December 2013.

Interview Details – written test, vocabulary test, technical round, personal interview

Interview Question – technical question   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FactSet in October 2013.

Interview Details – On campus interview was basic behavioral - quick around 30 minutes. Final round interview was long - 9am-3pm. It included 4 different interviews with senior consultants who asked a variety of questions. I interviewed with 2 other prospective employees and we rotated around interviewers. At the end of the 4 interviews we went out to lunch with two newly hired consultants. This was all part of the interview process.

Interview Question – Name 4 things you think a consultant should have, rank their importance, explain how you exemplify each quality, rate your answers for each quality - A B C D.

They also asked several brain teaser questions - 8 equally weighted balls but one is slightly lighter, find the lighter ball with a balance scale and only two chances to change what is on the scale.
  View Answer

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at FactSet in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Telephonic technical : Very methodical, questions within a closed domain. Domains which you chose you are strong in.
2. Office Campus Interview Round 1 : General Analytical questions.
3. Office Campus Interview Round 2 : .Net/ C#/ Javascript questions.
4. Office Campus Interview Round 3 : SQL questions.
5. Office Campus Interview Round 4 : Puzzles
6. Office Campus Interview Round 4 : General Programming concepts including knowledge on Object oriented design paradigm, SDLC. Previous project knowledge.
7. HR round was informational, little negotiation. Hopefully you will not need to negotiate :)

Interview Question – What would you do to create your own .net language similar to C#   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Graduation/Post Graduation with Min 60%

Interview Details – written test
3 rounds of interview

Interview Question – what is your expectation out of 1st job?   Answer Question

Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FactSet in October 2013.

Interview Details – HR phone interview followed by a technical phone interview.
Onsite: 3 technical interviews, one Director interview and one HR interview.
Interview Questions:
1. Code Review: Find bugs in a linked-list implementation.
2. Design: Design the game of Chess.
3. DS and Algorithms: Find a number in a Linked List, Implement Google Auto-complete, What data structure to represent employees in a company.

Interview Question – Implement Google's autocomplete.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2012.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted for a basic phone interview after a Factset client spoke to them on myself. Phone interview consisted of a basic reuse walkthrough and information about the company/position. Was then asked to attend a final interview at their Boston office.

Interviewed alongside three other candidates. Rotated among 4 interviewers, roughly 30 minutes each. Questions ranged from basic to curveballs and brainteasers. Afterwards they put all of the candidates together in a board room and has us solve a group brainteaser on a whiteboard.

Treated to lunch with current consultants afterwards.

Was contacted via email two weeks later informing me that I was not offered a position.

Interview Question – Group brainteaser involving riddles about magic potions...   Answer Question

Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – The first step is a screening interview. This is typically a phone screen, but for university applicants, this can be a campus interview. The screening interview lasts about 30 minutes,

The second and final round is an on-site set of interviews that lasts most of the day. The actual interviews vary by department. This is a rough schedule:
- 9:00 Demo of the software
- 10:00 Quiz
- 10:15 Tech Interview 1
- 10:45 Tech Interview 2
- 11:30 Code Review
- 12:15 Lunch
- 2:00 Director Interview
- 2:30 HR Interview

Interview order and times can be slightly different,

Interview Question – You are given a stream of directions in [up, down, left, right]. Each direction means move one unit in that direction. After completing the movements, you will return to the position where you started. Compute the area of the shape you created.

I was asked this when FactSet interviewed me a very long time ago. I liked the question so I sometimes use it myself when I interview other applicants..
  View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet interview questions and advice. All 350 interview reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.