FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Jan 22, 2015
Updated Jan 22, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

I applied online. Aplication form is very similar to other companies: answering some questions, information about your education, work experience, if any, etc. After I passed the tests (Finance, Numerical) I was invited to an interview and in-house excel test the following week.With e-mail I was also sent SJT which needed to be compelted and send them back. The interview was average, easy for me as I did some research and was perpared for almost every question.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were not difficult or unexpected at all, like why consultancy, describe th econsultant's day responsibilities, what are the company's clients, what a difference in information are needed for IB and IM.....   Answer Question

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

Contacted through career fair at school. I was asked to come to the Norwalk offices for a 3 hour long interview process. Very laid-back interview with 6 different employees, 30 minutes each. Mostly asked questions based on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness that is not actually a strength?   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

1. Online application which included answering some questions and submitting your CV
    2. Online test (Finance, Numerical). Numerical was very easy. Finance was easy, but you had to know some financial terms and the names of some stock exchanges and indices.
    3. Interview & Excel Test. Interview was pretty easy and conversational. Asked me to describe what Factset does, who were their customers, etc. Also asked about my CV and experiences. Excel test also easy, but I did not know some basic stuff. You should know: freeze panes, vlookup, average & sum & standard deviation formulas, if conditioning to color code some cells.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was easy and the questions were mainly those that are already discussed in this forum. But the interviewer also asked what kind of company information and what sort of companies do Investment Bankers look at for M&A.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Two rounds of interviews. the first one is an one-to-one, the second one is assessment centre which includes Microtech, group exercise and demonstration of Factset platform. The first one is quite easy.
    all based on CV and quite laid back.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

The hiring process is simple and elegant and starts off with one or two telephonic interviews. The telephonic interview is more or less there to gauge your interests, FactSet is trying to expand their product and they are doing both great back-end and front-end work and they want to assess what position is a fit for the candidate being interviewed. Apart from gauging the interests there would be some technical questions so that they know they aren't interviewing a moron. I was asked the following questions during my telephonic interview -:

Q1) Explain how Hashing works?
    Q2) What are some collision resolution techniques used to uniformly distribute the keys in a hash table?
    Q3) They gave me some scrabble game and asked me 5 data structures that could solve the problem and I also had to mention the time and space complexities required to solve the problem.

I was called to their headquarters in Norwalk to move further in their process and there are 5 additional interviews that are held onsite -:

Round-1

Once you reach, you will be give a demonstration of their awesome product. Don't undermine this step listen to the demonstration carefully as here you can pick up some questions that you can talk about in your lunch interview.

Round-2 - Debugging Round

In this round you will be given a C/C++/Java code based on your language of choice and you will have to spot maximum errors in the code and suggest solutions to optimize the code. Look out for memory leaks mostly, if you can spot them all I think you have passed the round. All of the errors need to be spotted within 10 minutes and the code base given is 6 pages long, be sure to maintain your pace because in the rest 35 minutes you will be talking about the mistakes you pointed out.

Round-3 - Algorithms Round

In this round they will ask you algorithmic questions to test your logic and in some cases they might as well ask you a brain teaser. The questions I was asked were based on finding Lowest Common Ancestors in Binary Search Tree, Reversing a linked list both recursively and iteratively, given a pre-order and in-order traversal of the BST reconstruct the BST and question on strings and hashtable again. They will ask you to write the code on whiteboard make sure you do as few mistakes as you can.

Round-4 - Design Interview

This round started in a rather unconventional manner I should say. I was first tested on my advanced C++ knowledge regarding namespaces and a bit of STL and then was given a code snippet that dealt with virtual functions and inheritance and then he moved onto the design aspect of the interview wherein the focus was to test my understanding of designing a big system both from entity point of view and testing my knowledge of inheritance and design patterns.

Round-5 - Lunch

In the lunch you will be taken out to a restaurant(it was a good one) and there you can talk to the managers and get a sense of what's it like to work at FactSet.

Round-6,7 - HR

All in all, it was a great experience interviewing with FactSet, would definitely recommend everyone applying here. The accomodation given was great and they handled all my expenses gracefully.

Consultant Interview

First round interview (2 parts):

Part I (Written test):
              Aptitude test, financial & Excel knowledge, and some self evaluation.

Part II (Discussion):

1. Think of something you found interesting, cannot be work experiences though (This part is pretty much self-introduction)
    2. Imaginary task (Tasks most likely not related to Factset's businesses)
    3. Workplace simulation

Interview Questions
    • The written test would be quite difficult to people without solid Excel knowledge.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet.

Written Test and then Technical as well as HR interview. The test was basically focused on 4 areas: Aptitude, English Comprehension, Grammar and Finance. Primary focus was on your Finance knowledge. People with sound Financial knowledge can easily get through it.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

30 minute interview that focused almost entirely on financial questions, which seemed difficult to me, coming from a non-financial background. You need to be very aware of what their products are and how they could be used by their clients. Three tests - numerical, financial and Excel-based. They aren't too hard and you've got plenty of time to complete them.

Interview Questions
    • How would investment bankers use information provided by FactSet to evaluate mergers and acquisitions?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

3 rounds
    written and technical
    written based on programming question and basic aptitude and puzzles.
    puzzles are of good quality .
    focus on puzzle and logical reasoning
    technical is esy ,..... they will basically ask from project and then they will catch ur weaker side and ask questions from that.
    overall they are friendly and good environment. interview generally last for an hour or ,more.