FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Jan 22, 2015
Updated Jan 22, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

I applied on campus career fair. I got response for a phone interview about 10 days later. I was assigned a software manager from New York office. HR asked me to attached my sample code and my resume before interview, but obviously that interviewer didn't read anything before interviewing at all! And just made up a question during the call

Interview Questions
    • to design an application to search a particular document which saved in a tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

I first applied through my university's career website. I received an e-mail from a recruiter to set up an initial phone interview. It was a purely behavioral interview. I received an e-mail the following week or so and was asked to set-up an onsite interview. It consisted of 4 45-minute interviews and a lunch with two consultants and three other candidates. I was supposed to hear back either way 1 to 2 weeks after but still haven't heard and its been a little over 2 weeks.

Consultant Interview

They reached out to me via email encouraging me to speak with them at the career fair at my college. I did, and I was told to apply on the college job board. I was invited for an on-campus interview that consisted of all behavioral questions. I was emailed three days later, in which they declined to give me a second-round interview.

Interview Questions
    • FactSet's products are in investment banks, hedge funds, and other financial institutions. Why do you want to work for the company that sells the software as opposed to the company that uses it?   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Applied online, was called a few days later to set up a time to interview.

First Interview: Took a number of timed tests (math, logic, programming) and a test specific to the position I was applying for. Following that I interviewed with the person whom I would work with I got the job. I basically just walked through my resume.

Second and Final Interview: Interviewed directly with the senior manager. The interview was long, almost one hour in length. He gave me a in depth review of his team and the work they were doing, and also asked me about some of my work experience.

At no point did I feel any pressure or stress. FactSet really seems to want to hire those who are a good fits for the company. Everyone is really friendly and supportive. The recruiters are also very approachable and respond quickly.

Recruiter Interview

Interviewed on campus. Asked Behavior questions. Looking for personality not skills. Applied through campus. NIght Before was an hour presentation talking about the company. INterview was on campus with one man. Asked questions such as strengths, weaknesses, why this role ect....

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

Set up a phone interview and the recruiter who called sounded very tired and listless. She seemed like she was going through the motions but had already decided I wasn't going to get the position, so I don't know why she called. She explained the position a little and how there was a training program before getting hired full-time, etc. etc.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very standard, such as "what was your GPA?" "what kind of work environment are you looking for?" "what are your strengths/weaknesses?". No brain teasers   Answer Question

Investment Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at FactSet in September 2014.

First a behavioral interview via the phone. Easy enough, very friendly! That's followed by an interview at their office. Met with four different interviewers - mix of consultants and managers.

Interview Questions
    • Which is the heaviest of seven marbles. You have a scale.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FactSet.

Screening phone interview with HR, initial in-person interview with hiring manager group 1 but was not given an offer, initial call interview with hiring manager group 2, and round two in-person interviews with hiring manager group 2 and two colleagues each individually.

Everyone was friendly and asked standard questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Tried to negotiate but the company would not submit a new offer.

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

I was referred by an employee, had a brief screening phone interview with an HR rep from Norwalk ("tell me about yourself") and then an in-person in the NYC office. Purely technical interview with the head of group - questions about basic finance and programming terms. ("What is HTML? What is CSS? What is SQL? Why is it called 'hypertext?' and 'markup?' Why is HTML not a language? What makes CSS cascading? Why does the value of a stock go up when a company profits? Why would anyone buy a stock? What happens to a bond when interest rates go up?") Basically no behavioral questions, other than "why are you leaving your current job?" The questions weren't very difficult, but the interviewer was inquisitive (though polite,) and really drilled into every topic - anything I wasn't 100% certain of, I got more in-depth questions on.

Interview Questions
    • What happens to a bond when interest rates go up? Why isn't HTML considered a language?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

This was a position with StreetAccount LLC which was acquired by FactSet not too long ago. Spoke with the HR recruiter on the phone and immediately invited to interview with the hiring manager and two of the team developers. The team is very easy going and functions like a start up company even though it's part of FactSet. Took the time to explained to me about their job and asked questions around the projects i have done in the past. Asked me to send them my code samples after the onsite interview and then got the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult. They asked about my past experience and whether if i have used certain .NET technology.   Answer Question

Got another offer that matched better with my career goals. I would certainly have taken the offer otherwise.