FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college. First there will be a technical interview. Interviewer will go over your resume quickly and ask you a technical question. May require pseudo code implementation details over the phone. After this you will be called for an onsite for a full day interview. The day starts with 3 technical rounds. First, is a code review, then a design question. Third is an algorithms round. After that you have HR round followed by Hiring Manager/Director round. Results are informed within a week.

Interview Questions

• Technical Phone - Design a calculator that parses calculations given in string (use infix to postfix using stacks)
      Onsite:
      First : Code Review (C++ implementation of Linked List with missing code and or errors. Identify those and suggest improvements)
      Second: Design (any) game of your choice. (Use Object Oriented Programming concepts for classes)
      Third: Create auto-complete suggestions for user input string. (I used trie)
      Fourth: HR -talk about your preferred role and responsibilities
      Fifth: Director - Discuss resume and a problem in high level details (no coding)

Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through campus recruitment and got an interview within 2 weeks. The interviewer asked behavioral questions, why you are interested, how did you hear about FactSet, explain a certain technology or system to a young child, and one brainteaser question.

My interviewer appears to be only serious and not that fun to hang out with...

Interview Questions

• What is the degree of the angle between the two clock legs when the time is 3:15?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

talked to them in career fair and Hr connect me 2 days after career fair for the phone interview. Just one day after phone interview I got email about ask me for a onsite interview! Very effective! The onsite interview is two days later since my schedule is full in the following week. On site interview is super good experience! Everyone is super nice and open to discuss. Even through that I got bad news the following day, I am still think this company is amazing and highly recommended

Interview Questions

• Tree Bfs(phone interview)   Answer Question
    • Triangle class code review(very bad code and I think I did not good there) linked list related problem and oop design related problem.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview to start. Basic questions pertaining to your resume and past experiences listed on it. Got the word a few days later they wanted me to come in for an interview. The in person interview was a marathon. I met with 5 different people. First 4 asked me questions, some repetitive. I asked all 4 some different but mostly similar questions, they didn't mind. Final interview was a reverse interview, totally generated by my questions. They want you to ask about company so they can pitch it to you (benefits, 401k, vacation days, etc.).

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and received an email asking to do a phone interview a short while later. The woman that I interviewed with was rather soft-spoken. Being soft-spoken myself, it was a struggle for us to really get the ball rolling regarding our conversation, and I felt that that really dragged down the atmosphere.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I originally talked with a college recruiter at a career fair then received a phone call the next week for an interview. The interview consisted of four 30 minute interviews with different Consultants. One interview was about myself and why I would be a good fit for FactSet. Another interview consisted of a test with Excel. My third interview was focused on how I have reacted in certain situations. The fourth interview involved questions related to stocks, balance sheets, and FactSet itself. At the end there was a group "puzzle" with the three other candidates interviewing where we all had to work together to solve a problem.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you did something nice for someone?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

I was initially screened with a pleasant, roughly 30 minute phone call then invited to their Norwalk campus for a day of interviewing. The entire process was incredibly easy, and they arranged for both a rental vehicle and a hotel room for the trip. The interviewing process was long, but didn't seem overly difficult. Technical questions abounded throughout the first half, varying in detail and complexity. Know basic algorithms, data structures, and uses for each. Be able to apply both to data, and explain the implementation at various levels.

Interview Questions

• Design and describe an OO version of Tetris: Rotation, collision, etc.
      Reverse a linked list.

Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume through online portal, received email for phone interview about a week after. Talked to recruiter on the phone - pretty standard questions - why FactSet, are you proud of your GPA, why finance - basic questions. Was then moved on to the next round in the New York Office...Interviewed with 4 Consulting Managers that day and then went out to lunch with 2 consultants.

Overall, I thought it was a good experience but I was extremely disappointed with my final interview with one of the consulting managers. The interviewer asked me a brain teaser - How many golfballs fit in this room and I was not only caught off guard, but she failed to ask any of the other candidates the same question as well. This position is not a true consulting position like at a McKinsey or Bain, you are basically a big part of the customer support at FactSet so I am unclear why she thought that question was relevant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview on campus with an info session the night before. Then a visit to the company offices where there was a dinner for all interviewing candidates in the evening. Then next morning, interviewed with 4 members of the team. All very positive about the company and the role. Was told they would make a decision in the next 2-3 weeks, but they called the following day to make the offer.