FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

Associate Content Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FactSet.

Consisted of 2 initial phone interviews then an in person meeting with the hiring manager and another team member. The interviews itself were fine - your average questions - personality and work history overview - nothing tricky or too hard. The process though was dragged out for 2 months and in the end HR never responded back. Communication was not there - they asked me to send over application documents - I faxed it over asked for confirmation it was received - never heard back. Waited a week to get an email saying that the fax didn't show up and to send it again - scanned it this time - asked for confirmation it was received and never heard back. Truly unprofessional and left a bad impression with me.

Interview Questions
    • nothing too out of the ordinary - mostly personality questions and work history   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet.

They either face-to-face interview or phone interview. With me, I sent an email directly to recruiting because I was promised an interview, and applying through the website did me no good. The next day, they scheduled a phone interview for me.

If you're accepted into the next round, the fly you to where you want to work, and you interview with managers and have a dinner with Consultants.

With my experience, I missed the July hires round, so it was for September. The entire time, I felt as if the interviewer's mind was already made up about me (the interview just seemed like a formality, so that one of the Recruiters would fulfill her promise). They never asked me what I saw in MY future, why I wanted to work at FactSet, what I'd bring to the table, and what made me different. Instead, the interviewer stuck with the typical "name a difficult time..." or "name a time you worked on a team," that kind of stuff. I still really, truly believe that FactSet and I were perfect fits for each other, and I didn't get the opportunity to show that.

All the recruiters sounded REALLY nice, but, like it, unfortunately, seems like with most jobs, you really have to know someone.

She seemed like she just wanted to get over with the interview, so I asked her for a timeline, and it was then I knew I didn't get it (the old "we need to talk amongst ourselves and come to a decision" trick. Didn't even ask which city I wanted to be stationed at until I brought it up). Got a lot of "yeah"s and "uh-huh"s and "of course"s from her, but the entire "conversational" thing she didn't seem into. I've gotten ejected from firms where the interviewers sounded MUCH more interested in me as a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to work with a difficult person/people and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in May 2014.

Had 2 rounds of telephonic interview for a database developer role. After they were satisfied was called onsite for a full day interview. Started the day with database design, then next round was to write specific queries. Followed by object oriented questions. The department manager took me out for lunch where he discussed about the work environment and the expectations from the role. The last was an HR discussion round.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were scenario based so if you have come across the scenario you would be able to answer   Answer Question

The pay was not sufficient for me.

Financial Engineer Interview

I met a guy at college career fair and gave him my resume. He asked about what coursed did I take about fixed income and what I knew. He was interested when I told him I studied some short rate models and taking a course about CDS. Then he wanted to know my C++ skills and my knowledge about STL in particular. At the end he told me they would set up another phone interview with me. But I never heard from them.

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The interview includes all the elements covered in a Financial Engineering course. Most of the questions are based on BS Eqn., Bonds & C++ .
    My experience with most of the interviewers was good except one, where the interviewer was not very articulate about her questions and was asking questions on mortgages without describing the nature of the contracts and she was also rude at times. But I enjoyed interviewing with other managers, they didn't just asked you questions but also had a good discussion on it. I did well, but I got a reject. They are very choosy for this position as its a very small department.

Interview Questions
    • You don't really need to prepare anything, if you are a passionate Quant and enjoyed FE course.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

First round was telephonic interview. Based on my resume the interviewer started with asking about my Big data project and based about RegExp that I used in the project, asked a quick question on that. Then he asked about the technologies used in the project. Then he asked few Java question - easy ones. Since, I'd mention Spring MVC in my resume, he asked about Dependency Injection.

I passed the First round and I was called onsite.

Onsite, first round, two engineers asked me to design a game - Tetris within 45 minutes, on paper. I stumbled a little bit in the beginning. Then I started designing it, making models and explaining them what I'm doing at the same time. They asked me questions and their doubt meanwhile which helped me to revise. The time was up, I pretty much had covered most of the game features.
    Second round was from the Information Systems engineers, they asked my SQL queries. The question was I have a table containing millions of records and I have to calculate sum, avg, mean, median and SD without using inbuilt methods of SQL ( I can use count though).
    And that has to done by writing only SQL queries.
    Further on, the design tables and more SQL queries given some business requirements. And how would I do the same using MapReduce.
    Third round was algorithms and data structures. A program on String manipulation and reverse a Linked List. Then some objectives on front-end Javascript. Then a mathematical problem/puzzle on '25 Horses problem'.

Then there was a lunch with 2 engineers. We had conversations about myself, about company, about Norwalk.

After getting back, I had one more interview round that was HR round. There were 2 HR's who brainstormed me with lots of behavioural questions like why I want this company, why should they choose me, what stands me out from crowd, what qualities I have better than others and so on.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I would say was to design a game which was Tetris. I never did programming to build a game which was so dynamic.
      The next I would say was 25 Horse problem.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I submitted my resume on career fair. After a phone interview, I was invited to onsite three weeks later. Three rounds of technical interviews and none of them was very hard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Best interview process I've been through. Went to information session at my college, then was invited to interview on campus. Very straightforward interview with behavioral questions and company questions. Next was invited on site in Norwalk for final round interviews. Went through 5 interviews all very casual and straightforward. Make sure to do your research and have good questions for these interviews to show your interest in the company.

Interview Questions
    • How proficient with Excel are you? Then turned around the monitor and had me facilitate finding certain criteria in a spreadsheet
      What stock would you sell me right now and why?
      Tell me about news related to finance

View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Applied through the career services website at my college and got a half hour first round interview. This one is pretty basic, mostly behavioral questions and stuff about your background/interests/career aspirations.

I received a call a few days later informing me that I got a second round interview in Chicago. They take you out to dinner the night before so you can ask questions to some current consultants at the company. The "super day" of interviews was definitely pretty tough. They start off by doing a quick demo of the product, then there are 4 interviews all in a row, which are about 45 minutes each. They were pretty intense- lots of questions you'll never expect but they want to make sure you are quick on your feet and don't get flustered. A lot of questions about your background, why you want to work there, what makes you better than other candidates, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What's the biggest sacrifice you've ever had to make? (not hard, but definitely threw me off)   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.