FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet.

Talked to them at college career fair. Got an on campus interview the day after that. Received on site interview invatation 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing Difficult. All basic questions like serialize a binary tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Applied through on campus recruiting process. I was contacted about a week later via email to schedule a half hour interview at the school's career center.
    The interviewer was awkward and didn't seem too interested in interviewing candidates. All questions were behavioral, although there were only 2 or 3 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult person/group and how you went about compromising?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Had a brief phone interview that involved a discussion of OOP and writing code in C++. Was invited onsite, where there were a series of interviews, each one-on-one. One was a C++ code review. Another was about designing a game/simulator and addressing its challenges. The third focused on data structures and algorithms. The experience was mostly positive, and I heard a decision less than a week later, but I have yet to receive the promised travel reimbursement. I can understand a delay in this process, but no one from HR has replied to my inquiries about it. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was extremely difficult, but I was mildly and happily surprised that there was a segment fully devoted to OOD.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

The position is for factset's boston office which is focus on C# . Got a phone interview after school's career fair. The phone interview has noting technical. Then got onsite interview after few days. Mainly described my previous projects and was asked a few question. After that, they asked me to send over code sample.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I was initially interviewed on campus and then asked if I would be willing to fly out to San Francisco for a final interview. It was a pretty grueling process, with four back to back 30 minute interviews. Each interview covered a different area and there was an Excel test that you are required to do. After the four interviews, you have to do a group interview where you problem solve with the other people being interviewed and they watch how you work together. After that you are sent to lunch with some recent hires and you get to ask them questions and see what they do/don't like about working at FactSet.

Interview Questions
    • The Excel test is difficult and is very nerve racking. The interviewer watches you try to solve as many questions as you can in three minutes.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

First interview was a 30 minute, mostly behavioral interview on campus. Within one or two days I was asked to interview at the FactSet office from 9am-2pm or so.

First step of the second round process was a brief tutorial of the software, my advice is to truly pay attention - it will help you with the interview portion. Second was 4 sequential interviews with various employees - mostly behavioral. Be prepared for brainteasers too, and to show how you would solve theoretical client problems on excel. Finally, two consultants took the day's candidates to lunch. Be sure to ask well-developed questions to stand out during the lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult, but unexpected. I was asked to find the previous five days' closing prices for a particular stock. Then I was asked to find the average. I was given FactSet, as well as excel and was allowed to use any internet resource.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

On campus first round, heard back a few hours later that they wanted me to come into New York for a final round. 4 interviews with managers and then lunch with two current consultants. Nothing too difficult, one excel problem which was pretty easy for someone with an excel background.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too technical. One excel problem with if-statements, and a few basic finance problems. "What is a stock?" Really nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Recruiters came to our university, got their contact information and I shot them an email. Then I applied online and got a call the next day asking if I would be willing to fly down to San Francisco for an interview! I wasn't terribly excited about this interview process anyways because after reading reviews I knew this was NOT the type of job I wanted. This is NOT a consultant job and after hearing more about the job during the interviews I've basically determined that you're just customer support.

Interview process started at 9 AM, kicked off with an initial meeting and then 4 half hour interviews with 4 other consultants/senior consultants. Extremely easy interview questions. Behavioral only. We ended early at about 12 since there was only two people interviewing, so then they take you off to lunch with two other consultants who just got hired on. If you honestly want to work here, you better make sure you understand lunch is always an interview. I was so bored out of my mind from the morning interviews, knowing I didn't want to work there that I didn't even try talking much during lunch.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you don't want me to know about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

interviewed at FactSet in January 2014.

Multiple technical interviews
    * Code Review - given the Chromeum Embedded Framework open source, find as many bugs and design issues as possible
    * Design - design a 4 dimensional maze, its graphical representation, and find the shortest distance to the end
    * Algorithms
       * Given 2 sorted lists of numbers M and N, find the k highest values of M(i) + N(j) in O(k)
       * Given a weighted graph, create an algorithm to find the a path that hits all points given as input, with another set of inputs that limits the shortest path to take between the nodes
       * Turn an array of characters that represents a number, into an integer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a referral and was contacted within a week. The representative asked me which position I would like to apply for and helped me come to the conclusion of software engineer. We set up a phone interview for the following week with a Factset software engineer. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding the second interview.