FactSet

Updated Feb 8, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2012.

The initial phone interview was rather straightforward, but the interviewer was kind of short and arrogant. Normal CS-theory questions about Big-O running times for specific algorithms and what sorting methods would be optimal given a set of data.
The on-site interviews were 4 back to back interviews with two being engineering topics (algorithms and data structures was the first, in-depth system designs the second). The other two were personality and HR tests, if you consider those to be real interviews (which, I guess they kind of are).

Interview Questions
  • How would you implement a relational database schema where the only method acceptable is to store data is by using plain-text files?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Senior Software Engineer Interview

There were two rounds of written test. The first roud was objective in that question were from ASP.Net,OOps concept and SQL. Second round was programming round in that they asked to write 5 programs

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Application + 1 hour Phone interview, 3 hours on site interview including product demo, technical screening and soft skill session. Tech part was really challenging in terms of data structure questions...

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

It started at waiting for 1 hr at gate before they eventually took us to facility.We got seated into a room and each candidate was then called one by one for entering details. This took around 1-2 hrs.Then we had Written test for design, written test for programming, Technical Interview 1, technical interview 2.

Design written test - This was nicely crafted question where they asked architectural question around a requirement.It asks basic question like DB modelling, Solution modelling, security architecture etc. This was good but will give just 90 mins. So its better to be quick and at least attempt all question.

Programming written test - This was 5 question regarding normal sorting and searching of string.very easy the thing is you have to write code on paper, which is bit difficult when we are used to writing in VSTS :)

Technical Interview 1 - The panel was really good and focused on architecture and design. Very nice set of questions around various designs of web service and ASPX.

Technical Interview 2 - This is where I was very bad experience due to two reason -

1. They will never intimate you for break and asks you to wait for 5 min for the process to get over, when they say 5 mins they will get back in at least 45 mins. I didn't had any food for 11 hrs, just coz of there poor planning and asking me to wait for 5 mins every time when you ask for break.This made me very tired at the end of the day when the interview was planned

2. The interviewer was girl and i am pretty sure when belonged to age, when c++ was discovered. She had her own logic for every question and needs same answer. If you give a different answer she will go tizzy.

Example - you have array of doubles of share values, where you have to find profitable trading rates.I wanted the answer to be easy and lucid to understand. I said dI will find the max value an min value in array where min value index < max value index. Here the index denoted the day of the month. So i am trying to find the max value and min value such that max value lies ahead of min.You can't trade reverse. I don't think she got my answer but she stressed on finding the difference of the two stock prices. Now if you find price difference you have to iterate n*n time and bit less if apply smart approach. But my approach can yield in N loop and someone has to explain her that difference will be more obviously if the max value and min value is found in that set.I now you can do it more smartly but my question was to solve not to optimize.Anyways she didn't understand anything and wanted to hear subtraction word.

she kept asking me about AJAX and old approach to problem as if the technology is rocket science and cant be learnt easily. I believed this is good company to deal with various design and architectural problem and of course language can be coded by anyone but to my surprise second interviewer was complete attached to technology requirement rather than looking on design skills. She was interviewing more of programmer than designer or SSE.

I had a very bad experience due to less planning, no sync between management, there 5 mins waiting time and of course the lady who had her set of question and set of framed answerbut I do appreciate the first interviewer, he really asked some very smart questions.

Interview Questions
    • Question are related to design and architecture. Like how to speed up Asp.Net website , when no data optimization is possible   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

nice reception and co-ordination.
    the number of rounds is not fixed.
    There is a written Examination

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in May 2011.

(a) Telephonic