FactSet Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT).

Interview

Simple phone screen. In-person interview. I met with 3 different groups of engineers that asked questions. Had to write answers on a whiteboard. They took me to lunch. The people are pretty friendly, but mostly fresh out of school with no other professional experience. I don't think they asked really valuable questions. I don't think someone knowing the difference between "private" and "protected" is a real indicator of their overall abilities.

Interview Questions

• It was basic C++ standard stuff. "Create a class with a virtual function" etc...   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got the salary that I asked for.

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I got a call from someone in HR, and we talked about my classwork and school projects. A few weeks later, I got an email telling me that there were some openings, and we scheduled a technical phone interview. The phone interview was very straightforward. They asked me about basic OOP questions (ex. polymorphism, generics, access modifiers). I was notified the next day that I had passed this round and we scheduled on onsite interview. There were seven sessions: product demo, three technical interviews, HR interview, lunch, and interview with the director. Technical interview one: They gave me C++ code for a linked list, and asked me to determine the output and to suggest improvements for the code. Even though I don't know C++, I was still able to follow the code based on my Java skills. Technical interview two: Code a stack with push(), pop(), and getMin() at O(1). Technical interview three: Class diagrams for a car rental service and corresponding database tables. HR interview: We went over the previous interviews, and then there were some behavioral questions. Director interview: Array based question - no coding here, just discussed approach to solving the problem. They said that I would hear back in two weeks, but I got a call just two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1) Linked List code review 2) Code a Stack 3) Design question   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate - the offer was very generous.

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Hartford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through university career fair. Got a phone interview scheduled in the next week. They asked thorough object oriented concepts and basic sorting questions. Also was asked 2-4 basic questions on tree traversal etc and told to explain the pseudo code. There was no actual coding involved anywhere. Got a call for onsite in 2 days. The onsite interview was pretty straight forward standard Factset approach. In the first round I was given a C++ code of linked list implementation and asked to find bugs. Some of the other people interviewd on same day were given Java code though. In the second round they asked me to design some card which I said I am not familiar with then they told me to choose any game of my choice. I choose Tetris and they asked to explain everything on board. I have previously prepared for Tetris game and studied the classes so I started explaining that then the manager changed the class design and told me to explain with the classes he described and use OOP concepts like inheritance, polymorphism etc. I did my best and explained all functionalities but I might have confused them a bit. In the third round they initially asked some UNIX commands questions and then asked to write code for a tree traversal question on board. And they asked to explain searching a dictionary. I explained it through Trie and they asked many more questions about Trie. I did well in this round. The interviewers told me that all technical questions were done for the day so I felt relaxed. Then a guy from my team took me to a restaurant for a lunch but continuously asked questions for next 1.5 hrs which I didnt really expect. He asked everything from Priority queues, AVL trees, distributed programming etc. I couldnt answer many questions here and I felt terrible. He is smart but also sounded very arrogant and was always belittling my previous company experience. I didnt even eat quarter of my lunch with him continuously asking questions. None of the other people on my day were asked any technical questions in the lunch though. Next round was with HR, which was basic feedback round and general questions. Last round was with the hiring director. He explained the job role which is mostly working on the DB and said it involves only about 30% programming and rest analyzing. I had a certification in DB2 in my resume so he went on asking questions about DB2, MySQL etc. I unintentionally didnt show much interest in this role and then he explained another role which is also work on DB but involves a bit more programming of 70%. At the end he asked me choose one of them, but i said I am fine with either of them(which is a big mistake). At the end there was talk with an executive along with all other interviewees. I got decision on the next working day and I didnt get the offer. I thought I performed well and was expecting they wouldnt consider the lunch interview. But I guess they did and it would have really impacted the decision. Also the final round with manager wasnt that good which might also have impacted. Overall I really liked the interview procedure and the hospitality of Factset. I am really disappointed that I couldnt get in although I performed well in most rounds. The only bad experience I had was the lunch interview from the member of the team.

Interview Questions

• C++ code of linked list implementation, Tree traversals, Tetris game design, Trie, OOP concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through School job web side and 1 week later I got invited for a on campus interview. They asked me general questions about C++ and its generic question as well as a coding question, which you need to implement a queue using only stack. A week later I got invited to an On-Site interview, there are 4 most important parts, Code review, Technical design, Algorithm, and discussing with site manager

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A friend of mine referred me. Got a mail from recruiter in Norwalk after almost 1 month. Chose SFO as preferred location and was redirected to SFO recruiter. Recruiter in SFO mailed me after 2 weeks and scheduled a phone interview. Phone interview was easy. They asked about OOPS and data structures, also asked me to code 1 program (Questions below). Got a call to onsite next day. Onsite interview was average. Usual FactSet format. 1 datastructure/algorithm round, 1 design round, 1 code review round and an interview with hiring manager. Also lunch with 2 engineers.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: OOPS and data structures. Coding Question: Interweaving of 2 linkedlists. Join 1->3->5 and 2->4->6. Output: 1->2->3->4->5->6.   Answer Question
    • Onsite: 1. How do you find intersection area or coordinates of 2 intersecting windows or rectangles. (x, y) coordinate of leftmost corner, and width and height of the windows are given.   Answer Question
    • Onsite: 2. Design spreadsheet in Excel.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

one phone interview, once it done they will contact your if you are good for an on site interview, one on site interview, it is whole day interview, technical question in the morning, other interview in the afternoon. Lunch is provide.

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a call after the career fair at college. There was an initial phone in round, where some basic OOP and data structure questions were asked (virtual function, virtual table, hashtables, linked list etc). After this initial screening, I was invited for an onsite interview. There were 5 rounds in total. 3 technical, one with director and finally HR. HR round seemed to just take feedback on the interview process. The entire experience was quite pleasent.

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college. First there will be a technical interview. Interviewer will go over your resume quickly and ask you a technical question. May require pseudo code implementation details over the phone. After this you will be called for an onsite for a full day interview. The day starts with 3 technical rounds. First, is a code review, then a design question. Third is an algorithms round. After that you have HR round followed by Hiring Manager/Director round. Results are informed within a week.

Interview Questions

• Technical Phone - Design a calculator that parses calculations given in string (use infix to postfix using stacks) Onsite: First : Code Review (C++ implementation of Linked List with missing code and or errors. Identify those and suggest improvements) Second: Design (any) game of your choice. (Use Object Oriented Programming concepts for classes) Third: Create auto-complete suggestions for user input string. (I used trie) Fourth: HR -talk about your preferred role and responsibilities Fifth: Director - Discuss resume and a problem in high level details (no coding)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

First they will ask for you to send sample code, and that will mostly dictate how your interview will go. They mostly work in C++, but they are fine with Java if you understand your OOD concepts.

Interview Questions

• If you have a sorted array that is initialized with size 100, the values stored would be for example 1, 2, 3,.... ect. Describe an algorithm that would check if there is a duplicate number and if so return it.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests. I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient. In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation