FactSet

Getting the Interview

99 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied after seeing job listing on indeed.com, After an initial phone round covering basic programming/algorithms, was asked to come on-site for an interview. Company paid for transportation and hotel.

Spent the day interviewing with various members of the company, some HR, but most of the interviews were technical. Most interviews focused on proficiency with algorithms and data structures, although there was a code review that required strong syntactic knowledge.

Interview Question – Design a board game.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on career fair. After a phone interview, I was invited to onsite three weeks later. Three rounds of technical interviews and none of them was very hard.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question is the design question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – First round was telephonic interview. Based on my resume the interviewer started with asking about my Big data project and based about RegExp that I used in the project, asked a quick question on that. Then he asked about the technologies used in the project. Then he asked few Java question - easy ones. Since, I'd mention Spring MVC in my resume, he asked about Dependency Injection.

I passed the First round and I was called onsite.

Onsite, first round, two engineers asked me to design a game - Tetris within 45 minutes, on paper. I stumbled a little bit in the beginning. Then I started designing it, making models and explaining them what I'm doing at the same time. They asked me questions and their doubt meanwhile which helped me to revise. The time was up, I pretty much had covered most of the game features.
Second round was from the Information Systems engineers, they asked my SQL queries. The question was I have a table containing millions of records and I have to calculate sum, avg, mean, median and SD without using inbuilt methods of SQL ( I can use count though).
And that has to done by writing only SQL queries.
Further on, the design tables and more SQL queries given some business requirements. And how would I do the same using MapReduce.
Third round was algorithms and data structures. A program on String manipulation and reverse a Linked List. Then some objectives on front-end Javascript. Then a mathematical problem/puzzle on '25 Horses problem'.

Then there was a lunch with 2 engineers. We had conversations about myself, about company, about Norwalk.

After getting back, I had one more interview round that was HR round. There were 2 HR's who brainstormed me with lots of behavioural questions like why I want this company, why should they choose me, what stands me out from crowd, what qualities I have better than others and so on.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I would say was to design a game which was Tetris. I never did programming to build a game which was so dynamic.
The next I would say was 25 Horse problem.
  Answer Question

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details – 3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – The phone interview consisted of basic questions about various data structures and their run time requirements. You may also have to do some coding through an online shared document.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult. Just be familiar with your data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – A round of technical phone interview with 2 coding questions.

Interview Question – Medium difficulty level, one was about strings, and the next question was about linked list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Talked to them at college career fair. Got an on campus interview the day after that. Received on site interview invatation 1 week later.

Interview Question – Nothing Difficult. All basic questions like serialize a binary tree.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at FactSet in January 2014.

Interview Details – Apply through career fair, got an on-campus interview the next day.

Interview Question – How to use pre-order to traverse a tree and save it in a txt file. (simple data-structure like string).And then use the file you saved to construct the original tree.   View Answers (2)

Norwalk, CT

I interviewed at FactSet in January 2014.

Interview Details – Multiple technical interviews
* Code Review - given the Chromeum Embedded Framework open source, find as many bugs and design issues as possible
* Design - design a 4 dimensional maze, its graphical representation, and find the shortest distance to the end
* Algorithms
   * Given 2 sorted lists of numbers M and N, find the k highest values of M(i) + N(j) in O(k)
   * Given a weighted graph, create an algorithm to find the a path that hits all points given as input, with another set of inputs that limits the shortest path to take between the nodes
   * Turn an array of characters that represents a number, into an integer

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details – I applied through a referral and was contacted within a week. The representative asked me which position I would like to apply for and helped me come to the conclusion of software engineer. We set up a phone interview for the following week with a Factset software engineer. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding the second interview.

Interview Question – General Java and algorithms questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 99 interview reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.