FactSet Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Hartford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through university career fair. Got a phone interview scheduled in the next week. They asked thorough object oriented concepts and basic sorting questions. Also was asked 2-4 basic questions on tree traversal etc and told to explain the pseudo code. There was no actual coding involved anywhere.
Got a call for onsite in 2 days. The onsite interview was pretty straight forward standard Factset approach. In the first round I was given a C++ code of linked list implementation and asked to find bugs. Some of the other people interviewd on same day were given Java code though. In the second round they asked me to design some card which I said I am not familiar with then they told me to choose any game of my choice. I choose Tetris and they asked to explain everything on board. I have previously prepared for Tetris game and studied the classes so I started explaining that then the manager changed the class design and told me to explain with the classes he described and use OOP concepts like inheritance, polymorphism etc. I did my best and explained all functionalities but I might have confused them a bit.
In the third round they initially asked some UNIX commands questions and then asked to write code for a tree traversal question on board. And they asked to explain searching a dictionary. I explained it through Trie and they asked many more questions about Trie. I did well in this round. The interviewers told me that all technical questions were done for the day so I felt relaxed.
Then a guy from my team took me to a restaurant for a lunch but continuously asked questions for next 1.5 hrs which I didnt really expect. He asked everything from Priority queues, AVL trees, distributed programming etc. I couldnt answer many questions here and I felt terrible. He is smart but also sounded very arrogant and was always belittling my previous company experience. I didnt even eat quarter of my lunch with him continuously asking questions. None of the other people on my day were asked any technical questions in the lunch though.
Next round was with HR, which was basic feedback round and general questions.
Last round was with the hiring director. He explained the job role which is mostly working on the DB and said it involves only about 30% programming and rest analyzing. I had a certification in DB2 in my resume so he went on asking questions about DB2, MySQL etc. I unintentionally didnt show much interest in this role and then he explained another role which is also work on DB but involves a bit more programming of 70%. At the end he asked me choose one of them, but i said I am fine with either of them(which is a big mistake).
At the end there was talk with an executive along with all other interviewees.

I got decision on the next working day and I didnt get the offer. I thought I performed well and was expecting they wouldnt consider the lunch interview. But I guess they did and it would have really impacted the decision. Also the final round with manager wasnt that good which might also have impacted.

Overall I really liked the interview procedure and the hospitality of Factset. I am really disappointed that I couldnt get in although I performed well in most rounds. The only bad experience I had was the lunch interview from the member of the team.

Interview Questions

• C++ code of linked list implementation, Tree traversals, Tetris game design, Trie, OOP concepts.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

one phone interview, once it done they will contact your if you are good for an on site interview, one on site interview, it is whole day interview, technical question in the morning, other interview in the afternoon. Lunch is provide.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A friend of mine referred me. Got a mail from recruiter in Norwalk after almost 1 month. Chose SFO as preferred location and was redirected to SFO recruiter. Recruiter in SFO mailed me after 2 weeks and scheduled a phone interview. Phone interview was easy. They asked about OOPS and data structures, also asked me to code 1 program (Questions below). Got a call to onsite next day. Onsite interview was average. Usual FactSet format. 1 datastructure/algorithm round, 1 design round, 1 code review round and an interview with hiring manager. Also lunch with 2 engineers.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:
      OOPS and data structures.
      Coding Question: Interweaving of 2 linkedlists. Join 1->3->5 and 2->4->6. Output: 1->2->3->4->5->6.

• Onsite:
      1. How do you find intersection area or coordinates of 2 intersecting windows or rectangles. (x, y) coordinate of leftmost corner, and width and height of the windows are given.

• Onsite:
      2. Design spreadsheet in Excel.

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a call after the career fair at college. There was an initial phone in round, where some basic OOP and data structure questions were asked (virtual function, virtual table, hashtables, linked list etc). After this initial screening, I was invited for an onsite interview. There were 5 rounds in total. 3 technical, one with director and finally HR. HR round seemed to just take feedback on the interview process. The entire experience was quite pleasent.

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college. First there will be a technical interview. Interviewer will go over your resume quickly and ask you a technical question. May require pseudo code implementation details over the phone. After this you will be called for an onsite for a full day interview. The day starts with 3 technical rounds. First, is a code review, then a design question. Third is an algorithms round. After that you have HR round followed by Hiring Manager/Director round. Results are informed within a week.

Interview Questions

• Technical Phone - Design a calculator that parses calculations given in string (use infix to postfix using stacks)
      Onsite:
      First : Code Review (C++ implementation of Linked List with missing code and or errors. Identify those and suggest improvements)
      Second: Design (any) game of your choice. (Use Object Oriented Programming concepts for classes)
      Third: Create auto-complete suggestions for user input string. (I used trie)
      Fourth: HR -talk about your preferred role and responsibilities
      Fifth: Director - Discuss resume and a problem in high level details (no coding)

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

First they will ask for you to send sample code, and that will mostly dictate how your interview will go. They mostly work in C++, but they are fine with Java if you understand your OOD concepts.

Interview Questions

• If you have a sorted array that is initialized with size 100, the values stored would be for example 1, 2, 3,.... ect. Describe an algorithm that would check if there is a duplicate number and if so return it.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

I was initially screened with a pleasant, roughly 30 minute phone call then invited to their Norwalk campus for a day of interviewing. The entire process was incredibly easy, and they arranged for both a rental vehicle and a hotel room for the trip. The interviewing process was long, but didn't seem overly difficult. Technical questions abounded throughout the first half, varying in detail and complexity. Know basic algorithms, data structures, and uses for each. Be able to apply both to data, and explain the implementation at various levels.

Interview Questions

• Design and describe an OO version of Tetris: Rotation, collision, etc.
      Reverse a linked list.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

The hiring process starts with a phone interview. The interviewer asked some basic Data Structure/Algorithm questions. I was not asked to write code though.Then the recruiter contacted me to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview has 3 technical rounds, in every technical round there will be two engineers, 1 HR round and 1 Director round. The first technical round consists of Code Review. I was asked to find problems in a linked list implementation written in C++ although i am not a C++ guy but the problems were logical in nature and could be easily figured out even if you dont know C++. The second round was design round. Asked me to design an inverted index based search engine. In the third round they asked me to design an arithmetic expression evaluator, which basically means that you need to know about converting an infix expression to post fix expression and then evaluating the posfix expression. Then the HR took an overall feedback from me regarding the interview process. The last round was Director round in which my overall past experiences were discussed.

Interview Questions

• How will you evaluate an arithmetic expression. (Infix->Postfix->Postfix evaluation)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated and got a better deal. I would say that if you have a resonably good feedback from the HR then you should try to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I turned in resume through career fair and they contacted me around 2 weeks later for on campus interview. The interview started with technical questions. The one question was converting complete tree to double linked list.

Interview Questions

• Questions were expectable. It was matter of how much you practice coding on a paper.   Answer Question