FactSet

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.1

114 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The hiring process starts with a phone interview. The interviewer asked some basic Data Structure/Algorithm questions. I was not asked to write code though.Then the recruiter contacted me to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview has 3 technical rounds, in every technical round there will be two engineers, 1 HR round and 1 Director round. The first technical round consists of Code Review. I was asked to find problems in a linked list implementation written in C++ although i am not a C++ guy but the problems were logical in nature and could be easily figured out even if you dont know C++. The second round was design round. Asked me to design an inverted index based search engine. In the third round they asked me to design an arithmetic expression evaluator, which basically means that you need to know about converting an infix expression to post fix expression and then evaluating the posfix expression. Then the HR took an overall feedback from me regarding the interview process. The last round was Director round in which my overall past experiences were discussed.

Interview Questions
  • How will you evaluate an arithmetic expression. (Infix->Postfix->Postfix evaluation)   Answer Question
I negotiated and got a better deal. I would say that if you have a resonably good feedback from the HR then you should try to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I turned in resume through career fair and they contacted me around 2 weeks later for on campus interview. The interview started with technical questions. The one question was converting complete tree to double linked list.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were expectable. It was matter of how much you practice coding on a paper.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet.

Met at career fair, received an email to schedule a phone interview. It was a 50/50 behavioral-technical interview. A quick data structure manipulation question, and questions about experience.

Went onsite for a final round--1 code review, 2 technical interviews, and behavioral. The company is awesome, and everyone was super nice. Still waiting to hear about an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

I applied on campus career fair. I got response for a phone interview about 10 days later. I was assigned a software manager from New York office. HR asked me to attached my sample code and my resume before interview, but obviously that interviewer didn't read anything before interviewing at all! And just made up a question during the call

Interview Questions
    • to design an application to search a particular document which saved in a tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in May 2014.

Had 2 rounds of telephonic interview for a database developer role. After they were satisfied was called onsite for a full day interview. Started the day with database design, then next round was to write specific queries. Followed by object oriented questions. The department manager took me out for lunch where he discussed about the work environment and the expectations from the role. The last was an HR discussion round.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were scenario based so if you have come across the scenario you would be able to answer   Answer Question

The pay was not sufficient for me.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

First round was telephonic interview. Based on my resume the interviewer started with asking about my Big data project and based about RegExp that I used in the project, asked a quick question on that. Then he asked about the technologies used in the project. Then he asked few Java question - easy ones. Since, I'd mention Spring MVC in my resume, he asked about Dependency Injection.

I passed the First round and I was called onsite.

Onsite, first round, two engineers asked me to design a game - Tetris within 45 minutes, on paper. I stumbled a little bit in the beginning. Then I started designing it, making models and explaining them what I'm doing at the same time. They asked me questions and their doubt meanwhile which helped me to revise. The time was up, I pretty much had covered most of the game features.
    Second round was from the Information Systems engineers, they asked my SQL queries. The question was I have a table containing millions of records and I have to calculate sum, avg, mean, median and SD without using inbuilt methods of SQL ( I can use count though).
    And that has to done by writing only SQL queries.
    Further on, the design tables and more SQL queries given some business requirements. And how would I do the same using MapReduce.
    Third round was algorithms and data structures. A program on String manipulation and reverse a Linked List. Then some objectives on front-end Javascript. Then a mathematical problem/puzzle on '25 Horses problem'.

Then there was a lunch with 2 engineers. We had conversations about myself, about company, about Norwalk.

After getting back, I had one more interview round that was HR round. There were 2 HR's who brainstormed me with lots of behavioural questions like why I want this company, why should they choose me, what stands me out from crowd, what qualities I have better than others and so on.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I would say was to design a game which was Tetris. I never did programming to build a game which was so dynamic.
      The next I would say was 25 Horse problem.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I submitted my resume on career fair. After a phone interview, I was invited to onsite three weeks later. Three rounds of technical interviews and none of them was very hard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at FactSet.

The phone interview consisted of basic questions about various data structures and their run time requirements. You may also have to do some coding through an online shared document.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. Just be familiar with your data structures.   Answer Question