FactSet

Average Difficulty
105 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Question – Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at FactSet in January 2011.

Interview Details – I initially applied for a job through a friend and didn't get a callback. After a few months another position opened and I applied again through the friend. A few weeks went by and they called back. First I was contacted by a recruiter, then I had a phone interview, then I came in for an in-person interview.

The in-person was a whole day. It started with a presentation of their product, then a code review, two design reviews, a lunch, and finally an interview with the director of the department.

Several days later I received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Question – The most difficult question presented to me was a C++ code sample that I had to review. It contained numerous logical and syntax errors, as well as poor coding. I had to debug the sample by hand and explain how I would fix the code or re-implement it. The difficulty was doing so on pen and paper and catching all of the problems, including several very subtle ones.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in May 2014.

Interview Details – Had 2 rounds of telephonic interview for a database developer role. After they were satisfied was called onsite for a full day interview. Started the day with database design, then next round was to write specific queries. Followed by object oriented questions. The department manager took me out for lunch where he discussed about the work environment and the expectations from the role. The last was an HR discussion round.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were scenario based so if you have come across the scenario you would be able to answer   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was not sufficient for me.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied after seeing job listing on indeed.com, After an initial phone round covering basic programming/algorithms, was asked to come on-site for an interview. Company paid for transportation and hotel.

Spent the day interviewing with various members of the company, some HR, but most of the interviews were technical. Most interviews focused on proficiency with algorithms and data structures, although there was a code review that required strong syntactic knowledge.

Interview Question – Design a board game.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – First round was telephonic interview. Based on my resume the interviewer started with asking about my Big data project and based about RegExp that I used in the project, asked a quick question on that. Then he asked about the technologies used in the project. Then he asked few Java question - easy ones. Since, I'd mention Spring MVC in my resume, he asked about Dependency Injection.

I passed the First round and I was called onsite.

Onsite, first round, two engineers asked me to design a game - Tetris within 45 minutes, on paper. I stumbled a little bit in the beginning. Then I started designing it, making models and explaining them what I'm doing at the same time. They asked me questions and their doubt meanwhile which helped me to revise. The time was up, I pretty much had covered most of the game features.
Second round was from the Information Systems engineers, they asked my SQL queries. The question was I have a table containing millions of records and I have to calculate sum, avg, mean, median and SD without using inbuilt methods of SQL ( I can use count though).
And that has to done by writing only SQL queries.
Further on, the design tables and more SQL queries given some business requirements. And how would I do the same using MapReduce.
Third round was algorithms and data structures. A program on String manipulation and reverse a Linked List. Then some objectives on front-end Javascript. Then a mathematical problem/puzzle on '25 Horses problem'.

Then there was a lunch with 2 engineers. We had conversations about myself, about company, about Norwalk.

After getting back, I had one more interview round that was HR round. There were 2 HR's who brainstormed me with lots of behavioural questions like why I want this company, why should they choose me, what stands me out from crowd, what qualities I have better than others and so on.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I would say was to design a game which was Tetris. I never did programming to build a game which was so dynamic.
The next I would say was 25 Horse problem.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on career fair. After a phone interview, I was invited to onsite three weeks later. Three rounds of technical interviews and none of them was very hard.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question is the design question.   Answer Question

Norwalk, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details – 3 round technical question. just some general technical data structure question. oo design and sql.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – The phone interview consisted of basic questions about various data structures and their run time requirements. You may also have to do some coding through an online shared document.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult. Just be familiar with your data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – A round of technical phone interview with 2 coding questions.

Interview Question – Medium difficulty level, one was about strings, and the next question was about linked list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details – Talked to them at college career fair. Got an on campus interview the day after that. Received on site interview invatation 1 week later.

Interview Question – Nothing Difficult. All basic questions like serialize a binary tree.   Answer Question

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!