Factual

Updated Oct 8, 2014
Updated Oct 8, 2014

3.9

Graphic Designer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Factual.

After I applied online it took them several days to contact me for an interview, which I thought was great because they seemed fast. The interview process was tiresome because it lasted 2 hours and I was interviewed one after another by the whole department. They all pretty much asked the same questions over and over again. After the interview, I followed up via email several days later and didn't hear a response for another two weeks, during which I tried contacting them again. They said sorry for the delay and that they were still interviewing. Took a whole month later after their last correspondence to let me know that I didn't get the job, which is what I expected after the second week of silence. It seemed like a great place to work regardless of the long correspondence time.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Factual.

Submitted resume. Asked to choose between these three questions:

1. Given a randomly selected city C, and two randomly selected moving vehicles within that city, you’re told the names of the streets those vehicles are driving on, and what time of day they were observed. What sort of information could you use to accurately guess the city C?

2. Sketch out, at a high level, a design for a URL shortening service. How do requests flow from the internet through load balancers, caches, servers, and storage systems? How do you generate and store the mappings for short URLs? How can you scale to very high request volumes? To a large space of URLs? How can you make the system more reliable?

3. Suppose you have a hashtable of N elements, and you're running a loop that repeatedly removes K and then adds K new ones. How does the amortized, average-case time complexity per insertion differ between a generational and non-generational garbage collector? (Assume a single thread for everything, including garbage collection.)

Answered the first one and got an phone interview. Failed the phone interview because I never completed the problem. It was the most ridiculous interview problem I have ever seen though. Good luck on getting it right, especially under an hour. The problem was made up by the interviewer... No other technical questions, experience, or "tell me about yourself" questions were asked. Apparently none of it mattered.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine a large city like Los Angeles. Suppose someone shows up at location A, then N minutes later at location B. Design a function that approximates the probability they passed a Starbucks. (The ideal solution should be unbiased, and should allow trading accuracy for performance.)

You are given classes regarding location and edge but I chose not to reveal them here.

View Answer

Data Specialist Interview

Great people to work with

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Factual in November 2013.

First a complex programming assignment was posed which I ignored.
    Since when is a Technical Account Manager also a Java developer?
    Naturally I was turned down.

6 months later the position was still unfilled so I re-applied.
    The programming test was not given but a set of vague questions were emailed.
    Despite my 20 years of I.T. systems experience including UNIX
    I was clueless what they wanted.
    The only hint they gave me was using a carrier pigeon to send messages.
    Since they are a Big Data startup I assumed they wanted a Big Data solution.
    Here is their response to my answers:

Interview Questions
    • Factual hired non technical account managers first but struggle to find
      technical account managers at the below market salary they wish to pay which
      is $75k-$85k with equity. The recruiter himself makes $90k, go figure.
      Clearly young and inexperienced management.

Due to confidentiality reasons I cannot post the riddles I was asked to solve.

View Answer

Technical Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Factual in October 2013.

I was contacted by the lead recruiter who I know as a former coworker. He was looking to grow his team and knew that there is a lot of overlap in the types of positions that we used to recruit for and what Factual currently recruits for. He did a great job going over the history of the company and explained why this is such an important company that I had never heard of. We talked several times about the proposed position before an onsite interview was scheduled. Had the opportunity to interview with senior management including the CEO which left me feeling a little star struck. Took a week and a half to receive an offer after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • From a technical perspective, how do you go about identifying a great engineer from a good engineer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Factual.

I applied online and was contacted back after a few days. Had a brief interview with HR about the position. Afterwards I was required to complete a coding test. After I turned in the test, I was contacted for a phone interview. The interview consisted of basic questions on my experiences and some questions on data structures. It ended with a question about finding the number of businesses through Yelp.

Data Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Factual.

I was so excited to get an interview at Factual but it turned out to be the most disappointing interview process I've ever gone through.

The HR guy was very courteous and informative in my first phone interview. He told me I would have to complete a project before being considered for a second interview. I asked if they could also send me the project for an open position he mentioned that was one level below (Data Specialist) and he sent both right away.

The projects were interesting, fun, and challenging. Obviously I wanted to stand out and impress these guys, so I poured my heart and soul into both of them. The lower-lever one was much easier. It asked for six or more regular expressions that would find certain characteristics of Yelp restaurants (location, hours, etc.). I sent that one in first and was scheduled for a second interview for the Data Specialist position.

The Data Engineer project was to write a program in any language that would find a given list of words inside a word search puzzle. This one took way more time but was also a lot more fun than the other one. I made sure it was perfect and sent that one in, excited and believing I had gone above and beyond on both.

Then the guy I was supposed to interview with canceled. Four times. And not with any notice either. Each time I would be sitting by my phone anxiously awaiting the call and when the time had passed, I'd check my email to see that he had canceled minutes before we were supposed to talk. By the fourth cancellation, my friends, family, and I pretty disappointed and skeptical about what working at Factual would actually be like. But the HR guy continued to be super nice and apologetic, so I kept my chin up about the company.

I finally had my second phone interview and it felt like the guy wasn't even paying attention as I talked about my background and experiences. Then he asked if I had completed the project! That's when I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. I poured so much time into that thing and he hadn't even looked at it. I was really let down. I told him I had completed both projects and he said he hadn't heard of anyone doing that before.

At the end of the interview, he posed a couple scenarios and asked how I would approach tackling them. They were challenging questions, albeit a bit vague. I answered each one by thinking out loud and giving a few different ways that I would go about solving them. I guess I didn't provide the answers they were looking for because I didn't get that job.

When I asked whether I was still in the running for the job I had originally applied and interviewed for, I was told that I couldn't even be considered for it since I didn't get the lower one. I really wish I had known that was their policy before trying to surpass expectations by doing both projects.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given a business card written entirely in Japanese, how would you go about finding the location of the business?   View Answer

Data Specialist Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Factual in February 2013.

Applied online and recieved a response in a week. Had a simple screening interview over the phone with HR. Had a follow-up phone interview with engineer. He started off with very basic questions based on my resume and went into technical questions about Python and regex syntax. Still not too bad. Ended with a "brain-teaser" question about culling data from Yelp. I started hitting road blocks there.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to find out how many businesses there were in the United States, how could you use Yelp to do that? What if Yelp is very protective of their data?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Factual in April 2012.

They got back to me shortly after I applied and started talking to me right off the bat about if I would be willing to relocate and benefits. The HR guy was very nice. We chatted about the position, and then they sent me a coding project to do, which they gave me as much time as I needed to complete. I sent it back, and within 2 weeks I heard back that my code was too problematic and my resume wasn't strong enough to overcome the bugs. The HR guy stayed quite pleasant throughout.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of specifications, make a program that would find if a given list of words was in a provided grid of letters   View Answer