Fahrenheit 212

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Strategy/Creative Position Within "Magic" Interview

Strategy/Creative Position Within "Magic"
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Fahrenheit 212 in January 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed at Fahrenheit 212 earlier this year and had an extremely positive and interesting experience.

I've been a strategy director at various brand consultancies for years, while I'd led several innovation projects, I and was largely looking in the realm of more classic brand strategy. A friend who works at Fahrenheit 212 had only glowing things to say about the place, and encouraged me to interview there. I met with the head of the "Magic" side of the company. It was clear that this was a company with their act together, offering something unique, differentiating, and exciting. That said, within ten minutes of conversation, I realized that I didn't have enough passion for innovation to proceed as a candidate. I actually said this to my interviewer (respectfully), and braced for a short "thanks, here's the door" but to my surprise and delight, the gentleman took nearly an hour to chat with me further about my skills, goals, and aspirations. I'd been seriously interviewing at only large branding firms, and he suggested I look at boutique branding firms as well. He'd just heard about a position as the head of strategy in the NY office of a UK-based firm, and passed my info on to his contacts that very day. Within 24 hours, I had the interview, and within a few days I had the offer!

It was a lovely, interesting, very serendipitous story. You don't encounter that sort of generosity or kindness very often, and spoke very well of the individual and the place. Many thanks!

Interview Question – Please talk about past innovation experience.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director Idea Development Interview

Director Idea Development
New York, NY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fahrenheit 212 in February 2011.

Interview Details – I recently interview at Fahrenheit 212 and had a very different experience. I met with the Idea Development lead. I was asked to do 3 assignments to showcase my capabilities. I was quite surprised by this approach, at first I felt that it was a lot of work, but then I found myself enjoying this process.

I was interviewed on the phone once then in person and while I did not get the job, I found out what my strengths were as a creative. The innovation director was extremely insightful into my skills and what I would benefit from. I was impressed by his understanding of other innovation companies and their approaches and where he thought I would excel. Clearly this company cares about the quality of people they hire, this process was a challenge yet through it I found out a lot about myself.

I am now freelancing at SYP and plan to re-apply at F212. All in all a great review process that gave me direction. It made me realize how little input and direction other companies give to candidates.

Interview Questions

• my understanding of the different innovation companies and where Fahrenheit was unique.   View Answer
  • How I know the difference between a good idea and an average idea, and what method I use to evaluate this.   View Answer

Magic Interview

Magic
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fahrenheit 212 in January 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter suggested I talk with them. I wasn't ready to "apply" because I am happy in my job, and wanted to learn more before committing to a process. But apparently they don't do "informal interviews" and the headhunter didn't want me to contact people I knew directly, so that she could make the intro (and the money for the hire.) So I agreed to go in.

I had a brief 1:1. Which felt a bit more like an interrogation than a conversation, but definitely cool, smart people. Just a little arrogant. (It is a top NYC agency after all, so comes with the territory.)

Everyone is asked to do a "project" (all applicants have to do this in their very extensive hiring process). It includes: Invent "you in a bottle", explain "your start up idea", and describe "big insights into an industry" ripe for change. All great exercises, but seriously, this is a lot of work, even for someone who already thinks about this stuff.

I would normally never bother (seems like a very "junior" task- for kids just out of college), but it sounded fun. And I was keen to learn about myself through their lens in the process. But after a week of work (and before turning it in), I got a call that the person already in interview process accepted the offer, so the position is filled.

Recruiter apologized. It all seemed very disrespectful of my time. She tried to make me feel better by saying it probably would have been difficult for a mom to work there given the intensity of the place. I want to believe the best, but I can't help but wonder if I was screened out because I am a mom.

Just a very annoying waste of time and energy. I was a little surprised they didn't make an effort to have every person that comes in the door leaving a fan, regardless of the hiring situation. If you are interviewing there- remember- it's all about them.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Fahrenheit 212? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fahrenheit 212 interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Fahrenheit 212 employees and interview candidates.