Fairfax County Public Schools

2.9

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fairfax County Public Schools.

Was contacted by phone to come in for an interview at Herndon Elementary. You have to email the principals in this school district to try and get an interview. I emailed my resume and cover letter to all of the principals. When I came in for the interview, they were interviewing other candidates back to back. It was a panel of three conducting the interview. During my interview, they seemed very annoyed to be there. A lot of yawning, getting up a couple of times while I was talking, looking totally disinterested. I was really thrown off by this. They were writing down my answers throughout. They provided a list of the questions for me to look at during the interview. The questions were very wordy and tough. They almost looked like essay questions. At the end, it seemed they just wanted me out of there. Needless to say, I did not get the job. I didn't even get a response to let me know one way or the other, but I knew I had bombed it. Other schools in the district have conducted easier interviews. This particular interview at Herndon was just very tough!!

Interview Questions
    • How do you respond to this assertion: "the major causes of learning do not fall within the teacher'a sphere of influence. Student learning will be determined primarily by factors such as innate ability, parental support, socioeconomic conditions in which the student lives, and the beliefs and behaviors of the student's peer group."   Answer Question
    • Reflect on the first 20 days of school. Give examples of routines and procedures you put in place in Language Arts, Math, and classroom management.   Answer Question

High School Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Fairfax County Public Schools.

Website application process --- often goes into a black hole, need to identify who the administrator is in order to get the interview---HR never follows up. The website is tedious and takes a long time to complete. It also has limits on the documentation that it will accept.

Interview Questions
    • If you love teaching so much, why did you stop for so long?   View Answer

I received another offer at another school system

Ged Instructor Interview

First sent in resume by e-mail after contacting them by phone and interviewed in person.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Fairfax County Public Schools in January 2014.

Wednesdays they have a mass intake for substitutes. You need your social security number, Photo ID, and TB test results. They fingerprint you and take a picture. You then choose the areas of Fairfax County that you are willing to work in.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with using a Smart Board.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. You have to have worked at least 6 jobs in a 6 month period.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Easy. Fill out paper work.

None

Teacher Interview

The hardest part is just timing. You have to make sure you talk to the vice principals when they are actually hiring and aren't just concerned about getting through the year. I suggest sending e-mails out once in March and again in May. Don't be offended if they don't answer though. Many schools hire during the summer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you structure a 90 minute language arts block?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. It's a pay scale.

Public Health Attendant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Fairfax County Public Schools in September 2012.

I was contacted by the transition program director who came across my resume through some networking channels. We scheduled an interview and I was interviewed by the program director and the vice principal. They told about my the program, my job description then asked me how I would fit into the position based upon my resume.

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult experience you've had with someone with disabilities? and how did you diffuse it?   Answer Question
    I had never negotiated for my salary before and I felt like I was intimidated with my lack of experience into a smaller salary even though I was educationally overqualified for the job position.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annandale, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annandale, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fairfax County Public Schools in August 2011.

Have a out going personality. Know your basic knowledge of computers such as adding printer via IP, installing software, following directions to the T, and having good written and verbal communication skills.

Interview Questions
    • There isn't much to this job aside from the redundancy and tediousness of the job.   Answer Question

Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Fairfax County Public Schools in January 2011.

I heard about this job from a friend. I called for an interview and was told to send resume by internet. Quite a while went by until I heard from them, and they finally called, gave me a rigorous exam, and my references and police record (none) were checked. Afterwards there was an orientation program and I was offered a job. Overall it was a professional if long process.

No negotiation. This is fixed.

Instructional Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centerville, Goochland, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centerville, Goochland, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fairfax County Public Schools in July 2010.

Met with the assistant principal and principal and also met with the teacher I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    I knew the salary coming into the job interview but we went over what it would be.