Fairfax County Virginia

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern - Hourly Interview

Intern - Hourly
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia in April 2012.

Interview Details – face to face interview with one of the employee interview was laid back easy questions, interests in this internship , where you want to be in the future, other than work what are the fun things you like to do

Interview Question – it is unpaid internship is it ok   View Answer

Negotiation Details – unpaid internship so no negotiation

Librarian I Interview

Librarian I

I applied online and interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia.

Interview Details – FCPL's system was a mess. They forward applications with little rhyme or reason. Once you're sent along it's hit or miss whether you'll be called for a position. They've stopped interviewing at the branch level and have started interviewing through Admin and placing people wherever they feel like without determining where they would be the best fit. This behooves no one and causes resentment throughout the county. The people doing the hiring have not had to work in a branch for many years. You may or may not be kept in a pool of applicants for a later date. Interviews are always done by a panel (two or more people asking questions and taking notes).

Interview Question – Explain a time when you made a poor decision. What was it and how would you do it differently now?   Answer Question

Human Service Worker Interview

Human Service Worker

Interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia

Interview Details – I worked as a seasonal employee and then they hired me for a position that was opening up.

Interview Question – What can you bring to the team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation

Human Service Worker Interview

Human Service Worker

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia.

Interview Details – You need to apply through the AIMS system online. You can track your application through the process: Under Review, Forwarded/Not Forwarded, Filled, or Cancelled. The county gets hundreds of resumes for each position, so if you don't meet the preferred qualifications, it's tough. If you're contacted for an interview, it will be a very formal, panel interview. Demonstrate an understanding of the county, the department, and the job. Competition is pretty fierce. If you're not hired, you can call HR to ask why.

Interview Question – "What is your least favorite task, and why?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate salary. In these budget conditions, it's frowned upon.

Public Safety Communicator Interview

Public Safety Communicator
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online at the Fairfax County website. Each announcement for this opening *should* have an academy start date listed. Your process will be completed well before that date. About a week or less after the vacancy announcement closes, you should be scheduled for an initial written personality-style test, following that you will be invited to a skills-based test a few days later. Once you pass the skills test, they give you a background investigation packet that needs to be done and turned in within 3 days. You'll be scheduled for a polygraph, and then following the results of your background check, a panel interview. The offer (or lack thereof) usually comes by phone the same day as the interview. Following that, there is a fingerprint check and medical exam done when you complete onboarding paperwork. As long as you don't have TB and haven't done drugs, you're fine.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected. Talk about yourself, your background, and what makes you want the position. They ask about what you consider to be your greatest achievement, your long term goals, strengths/weaknesses, and where you hope to be in five years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. The pay rate is the same for everyone, regardless of experience.

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Alexandria, VA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia in June 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process wasn't really that bad. She asked me a couple of questions and then after that she showed me around the office and i started my day. Now i can say that i started out filing and shredding and doing packets and folders alot for the different alcohol and drug treatment program that they offer. But overall i'm happy with my job my boss is a little

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.....that question scares the hell out of me. but yet i can't shutup at home lmao   Answer Question

Public Health Nurse Interview

Public Health Nurse
West Springfield, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia in October 2011.

Interview Details – Three nurse managers were interviewing me. Most important thing to do to prepare is to be aware of their mission and goal and rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. They want to see how you work in a team environment and will ask about conflict resolution. Even if you don't have public health experience, talk about similar experience and how you are willing to learn. The whole interview took about 40-50min. All were very pleasant and were not trying to be intimidating at all.

Interview Question – What type of conflict have you been in, how deal you dealt with it, how was it resolve?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Since I didn't have experience as a public health nurse I didn't do much negoitiating.

Very Easy Interview

Driving Range Attendant Interview

Driving Range Attendant
Fairfax Station, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia in May 2008.

Interview Details – Walked in the BLGC and inquired for a position. After a few questions about if I could provide transportation, my background, and availability, I was hired. The staff is very diverse, and I enjoyed my time there since I met people from all different types of backgrounds. The position was fairly easy to perform, seeing as it was just to take out the trash, clean the cart paths, and pick the driving range. Great first job for a high school or college student.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Received $7/hr. At the time, they were pretty hard and fast on salaries for attendants.

Very Difficult Interview

Librarian II Interview

Librarian II

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fairfax County Virginia in January 2010.

Interview Details – As in any government civil service job, expect to fill out plenty of forms just to be considered. The up side. Of this is a fair selection system, if you fill out the forms correctly and on time. Read and understand the instructions as this is the primary way to be hired.

Assuming you are one of the top ten or
so candidates, you will be given an opportunity for a
Interview by a panel of supervisors. You will receive a list of the questions they will ask, when you come in for the interview. For this reason you might want to come in an hour early, if the place for the interview is, at least, open to staff. Even before the day of the interview, take a drive to interview site to make sure that you know how to get there and how the traffic will be.

The panel interview can be tough, but if you are hired you might wonder what impression some of your new workmates made to get hired. Maybe it IS possible to fake it or there is something unsaid in these interview.
Anyway, every question asked and your answers are written down by the panel members.

You will have time at the end of the interview to add anything you want to your answers.
Having something ready beforehand will be a good idea.
Also, be ready for questions about how you handled some situations.

When every candidate (often many) has been interviewed and scored , you will be notified of the results. This can be by phone or letter. Hope for the phone call because the person(s) to be hired is normally called.

Interview Question – One of your patrons suddenly falls to the floor and might be unconscious . What would you do?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer ended up as one that would take too much of my family time.

Worked for Fairfax County Virginia? Contribute to the Community!