Fairfax Media

Relevance Date Difficulty

Journalist Interview

Journalist
Adelaide (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fairfax Media in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was very laid-back and covered all the basic, predictable questions. I received an offer within 24 hours.

Interview Question – There was a written grammar test.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation in volved.

Junior Project Manager Project Coordinator Interview

Junior Project Manager Project Coordinator
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Fairfax Media in March 2014.

Interview Details – went to the agency interview, they said i presented well, good communicator, have pm certifications etc etc and they are looking for someone with strong data warehousing knowledge .. sounding easy at this stage .. couldnt tell me much about the role or the team or the project approach, project methodology, it was a top-secret mission that was sounding some alarm bells.

Interview Question – usual questions like tell me about your data warehouse experience, what do you think are important attributes of project manager, how many years pm experience do you have, agency said one junior IT pm will interview me, instead i find getting questioned by IT pmo manager and it didnt start well from the second he walked in and he'd already made up his mind i'm not suitable .. fair enough but at least give me a go, anyway it was an uphill battle to try and talk about my experience or what i have to offer when your faced with a guy with bully-style demeanor and he's interview technique wasnt all that great either compared to interviews i've had with more senior PMs, said it would be a short interview .. i would have preferred him saying your just not what were looking for ....I felt sorry for the other junior pm who has to report to this guy with low emotional intelligence ... to be honest he didnt talk to her in a respectful way either .... I thought wow... this doesn't seem to be a high teamwork place and I wondered what kind of company culture there was in this team or at Fairfax media in general. they looked pretty stressed too which usually doesn't produce good results from your employees.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fairfax Media in January 2013.

Interview Details – They had a thorough resume shortlist process before inviting candidates for a face to face interview. I had 2 interviews, both with 2 interviewers each. They usually do it that way. Interviews are done via pre-prepared forms. The same questions are asked to candidates for fair comparison.

Interview Question – You mentioned you deal well with roadblocks (referring to project management and dealing with stakeholders), please give us an example and elaborate   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It went very fast. They wanted me to start within a day or two.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Head of Creative Interview

Head of Creative
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Fairfax Media in August 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process went over about six weeks and included two phone interviews, and a face-to-face interview. My two referees also had a thirty minute interview each.

Interview Question – All questions were straight forward and easily answered.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I went through a recruiter so it was easier. Not much negotiation needed.

Accounts Executive Interview

Accounts Executive
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fairfax Media in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communication was by phone. It was very casual, even the meeting was very casual. They told me about the role, the culture and the expectations. It went for about an hour

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years? CAn you handle money?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Accounts Executive Interview

Accounts Executive
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fairfax Media in March 2009.

Interview Details – I got headhunted for the role. One day I received a call from an acquaintance, whom I met at a client event a couple of months prior. He asked if I was interested. Then I had a face to face conversation with my future manager, followed by another, more casual one with both of them. Then we discussed the pay, I negotiated, and accepted. I thought that they were very professional, and everything went really smoothly.

Interview Question – I really can’t recall anything… maybe because they called me, and were the ones who initiated the process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate an additional 10% on top of the initially offered pay. It wasn’t easy but I held out, and finally they met my request. Yes, I was able to negotiate an additional 10% on top of the initially offered pay.
It wasn’t easy but I held out, and finally they met my request. This was still at a time when Fairfax was cashing in on both advertisement and classifieds and money was coming in much easier than it is now. I’m not sure whether they still have such flexibility these days. In any case, it’s worth trying.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fairfax Media in April 2011.

Interview Details – It was a three-stage process.

1. Phone Interview - 15-minute chat about the role description, and just to get a feel of my skills.

2. Technical Interview - they asked me coding questions. No brainteasers, just simple stuff that you should know if you really have the skills. The interviewer was nice enough to let me go in questions that I got wrong though.

3. Director's interview - This is to get a feel of what I am like as a worker and if I fit the company.

After this I had an offer but the manager still had to check me for references. I needed to give a 360 assessment so the references needed to be from both peers and managers.

All in all it was fairly easy and there wasn't really anything nerve-wracking.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase as they gave me an acceptable salary.

Advertising Manager Interview

Advertising Manager
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fairfax Media.

Interview Details – Very pleasant interview process. Great building and good people. I was given a scenario of a problematic campaign which was missing key bits of information. I had to present a solution in a presentation within 24 hours. The purpose was not finding the right answer, but finding out how your cognitive process works. Process of elimination.

Interview Question – A campaigns CTR is high but the CTC to low. How would you fix this?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Fairfax Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fairfax Media interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Fairfax Media employees and interview candidates.