Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

Front Dest Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

I met with two interviewers, one being a front dest manager and the other the customer service manager. Both were friendly and upfront about the position. Questions were pretty basic, and mainly focused on how to would you handle an angry customer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in your past employment that made you very mad.   Answer Question

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with HR, interview was very pleasant, so pleasant in fact she wanted to do the follow up right there on the spot! Thing was, the front desk manager wasn't there, so she said she would call me later in the week to schedule me for the follow up, well later came, nothing, I called them, the lady in HR promised she'd call me back the beginning of next week. No call back, I called her and asked if there was anything wrong. Well she said, they were moving forward with someone else! Wait what?! How can you decide if someone was a better fit for the front desk if I didn't even interview for the front desk? To make matters worse on their website the job is still up! I called, pretended to inquire about the job, same HR lady said it was open! I then told her who I was and would like a follow up interview, I also asked why they chose someone else for the job but didn't give me a chance and why the job is still posted, she said it was new........it was dated June 1st, it's mid July. Very fishy things going on there. As of right now no follow up calls from them. I guess it's bad to do really well in your first interview or to really want to work.

Royal Phone Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

When you fill out the online application, there is also a personality assessment, which asks many of the same questions over and over again, but in different ways. If you pass the 1st personality assessment, they email you the 2nd one. The 2nd personality assessment is more detailed regarding the job and also your personality. There was also a word problem portion with questions about how many towels are clean if this line in this graph is taller than this other line in the graph, etc. Then there was a a telephone screening. Then an in-person interview with an HR analyst. Then immediately followed by an interview with the front desk manager. I believe that the I was moving forward in the process until I got to the front desk manager. I believe that I would have continued on, but he decided not to go forward with me, for whatever reason. I thought I interviewed very well, so I believe maybe I wasn't good looking enough for them, even though this is a phone job and I have an excellent phone manner. The entire process was very quick. I filled out the online application about a week and a half ago, got the email asking me to do the 2nd assessment about a day after that, then got the phone call with the telephone screening about 2 days after that. In person interview took place about a week after the telephone screening, which was 2 interviews in one day. That took place on Friday of last week and I just got the rejection call today (Monday). So all in all very quick, which I appreciate. Especially since they didn't drag out rejecting me. :)

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you really "nailed it" with a customer and felt like you went above and beyond to give the guest outstanding service?   1 Answer
    • What is your goal in terms of growth within the organization?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for the Fairmont Hotels?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.

Interview

Apply online, take online assessment, phone screening, interview with immediate boss, interview with director. Background check (about 1 week). If you are not "successful" on online assessment the process is finished no matter what. Online assessment in multiple-choice unless you are applying for a director roll. Then the assessment is done over the phone by a third party representative. If you work for Fairmont and are applying for a director roll you must take this separate assessment. If you do not pass you will never be promoted and should look for a different company.

Interview Questions

• Financial numbers. Flow through on P&L. Handling union.   1 Answer

Front Desk Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about a week or two later. Spoke with two HR representatives, was informed of possibilities/lack of possibilities within the company based on the interests I conveyed in the interview session within a few business days.

Interview Questions

• Mostly guest services related questions as well as management style questions.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted via email within 3 days. Setup initial screening interview with HR director via phone (as I am out of state). Resume was forwarded to the division director.

Rooms Division Manager Interview

Interview

5 steps - Online assessment, HR director, Department Manager, Department Director, General Manager. Straight forward. Show passion and focus on customer service / problem resolution. Show that you have potential and know about the company, the property, it's comp set, it's guest (group, business, transient). Have lots of examples. Each interview was about 1 hour. Generally people were nice and ready to help. Better to get referred in This was for the San Jose location, which is not the most desirable in terms of the downtown location, etc.

Revenue Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, followed by a phone interview with the Regional Revenue Manager. After 2 weeks I was contacted to have an interview with the Hotel General Manager. Following that interview, I was scheduled with the corporate director of revenue management

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with budgets and forecasts? How accurate are your forecasts?   Answer Question

Bellperson Interview

Interview

he interview was very easy, but had multiple rounds where they just asked the same questions

Interview Questions

• Questions about experience are difficult when you have no experience   Answer Question

Engineering Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

It took 2 weeks to hear from them and schedule an interview. The interview was simple and there were some background-based questions. They gave a little history of their work and what they do at the hotel. They described the Engineering Coordinator position, which sounded like a hybrid between administrative assistant and accounts receivables/payables. They also gave me a little background on the hotel's history, which was nice. Pros: The 2 interviewers were honest about the type of person they needed for the job, which was someone who had no desire to move up. I appreciated the honesty more than anything else. Con: No career path in this position, unless you wanted to be an engineer; overall, difficulty in moving up in any department. With headquarters based out in Toronto, Canada, anybody (non-Canadian citizen) who wanted to transfer into corporate would probably have some difficulty in doing so.

Interview Questions

• How long do you expect to to stay in this position? (A little bit of a background -- they were specifically looking for someone who didn't have any ambitions or goals, which would be difficult for anyone who wanted an actual career)   1 Answer