Fairway Market (New York)

www.fairwaymarket.com
  www.fairwaymarket.com

Fairway Market (New York) Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

1.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fairway Market (New York)

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York).

Very simple behavioral, tell us about yourself interview. One on one with a company vice president at their office in Harlem, NY. Extended offer on the spot and started talking about potential projects to work on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York) in August 2014.

I applied online on their website, but my brother called a favour from one of the managers that he knew which got me an interview. The manager told me to show up on a date at 12PM with a resume. I went to the store and asked for him, and I was interviewed by one of the other managers. The interview was about 5 minutes. I gave them my info and they told me they'd email me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York) in August 2014.

Applied online on a Sunday. Got a call Monday sand interviewed the next day. The interview was very easy. All you needed was cashier experience. I got the job the same day

Low pay

Bakery Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York) in July 2014.

I came in on time for the interview, the main person I was supposed to talk to was in a meeting so I met with his associates. The interview was pretty standard but easy going. I was asked about experience and availability. I was also told about how it would be to work there. I was in and out but had to make several trips uptown to the HR facility to do paperwork.

I told them what I was accustomed working for and they said they would make a reasonable offer. The offer was way below what is considered livable in NYC. Please be prepared for lowballing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Park, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Park, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York) in October 2013.

I inquired about the job as a walk-in and was told to fill out an online application, which requires a resume so be prepared to write one if you haven't already. Within two weeks or so, I was contacted to come in for an interview.

Ironically, despite the manager and other employees stressing how tardiness will get you terminated, she was a half hour late for my interview; leaving me to pace around the store to pass the time while her subordinates profusely apologize followed by telling me, "She'll be out in a little bit" so often that I felt like I was placed on hold with some annoying recording.

When the manager finally came out, she shook my hand and personally apologized for being late which I appreciated but found irksome considering how being late is not tolerated for anyone else and she should be practicing what she preaches.

She was friendly though but assertive and unforgiving when it came time for negotiations as she took the "take it or leave it approach". As for the interview itself, it was quick and basic, taking roughly fifteen minutes if I were to guess, with all the questions you'd expect from a cookie-cutter type interview such as:

"Why did / are you leaving your past job?"

"What's your greatest strength?"

"What's your greatest weakness / flaw?"

"What's the most important function of being a retail employee?"

"Why is providing good customer service important?"

"How often are you late and by how much?"

"If you will be late, do you call first?"

"Are you willing to work weekends and holidays?"

"Will you come in for work when called?" - mind you that answering no to the last three will disqualify you as pointed she right out to me.

What I will give her credit for is the fact that she was the only one, of all the places I've been interviewed, who gave me the courtesy of making a decision on the spot instead of making me wait or call back days or weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I hire you instead of someone with more experience?   View Answer
    I was asked for my preferred availability and rate of pay which I later found out to be irrelevant when I was given a take-it-or-leave-it offer of "You'll be working til closing each shift as we need a closer and we can only do $8.50. That's what we need. Do you want it?"

Stock Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York) in August 2012.

I was referred to a hiring event at a hotel that had roughly 500+ applicants applying for several different openings. The interviewers had the applicants wait on different lines, depending on the position they were applying for. After waiting about an hour for a Customer Service Representative position, I was pulled off the line by one of the hiring managers, Joe, who asked what I was applying for. After being told that the pay I was requesting was too high, he recommended me for the Stock Clerk position.

There wasn't much of an interview. I filled out an application and handed it to him along with my resume. He glanced through them and asked if I could do stock and I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to perform stock clerk duties?   View Answer
    I was requesting $15/hr for the Customer Service Representative position and was told by the hiring manager that none of them made nearly that much. He said that new hires usually start at $9-$10 an hour, but if I took the Stock Clerk position, he would be able to offer me $11. I was also told to make sure that I didn't let any of the other new hires know, so I accepted the offer.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York) in June 2011.

I interview with the HR Director of Fairway. It was a quick interview. Very welcoming person. She briefly gave me an overview over the company and the reason why they need an additional HR Assistant. She asked mostly about my experience handling verifications and if I had done unemployment issues before. Interview was about 20 minutes or so. I was called that same afternoon and told that I was a strong "runner-up" however the HR assistant who was going on maternity leave chose the candidate with more extensive experience handling unemployment issues. Although I did not get the position, it was not an unpleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • none. All questions were standard... Tell me about yourself. What happened at your last position. What was your salary at the last position. Do you have experience dealing with unemployment or benefits.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fairway Market (New York) in March 2011.

HR Manager makes contact, first interview with HR Manager and District Manager, second interview with
    VP of Operations and VP of HR, very simple process of interviewing questions, must show knowledge of all aspects of store operations, company wants an extensive work experience
    will bring you in as an Asst GM with GM salary, they dont have a GM in Training or Reserve GM position
    with the promise of you aquiring the next new store opening as GM

Interview Questions
    salary: due to extensive work experience
    vacation: 3 wks after first year, otherwise will give 2 wks, first year they will give only
    will pay cobra : health benefits won't kick in till after 4 months