Family Dollar Stores

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – I was hired the moment I walked in. Some strange upheaval had occurred. I had on a red shirt and was offered the job. Was told it was 8.50 and hour. No room for negotiation. Even asked about pay for experience and was told 8.50.

Interview Question – After I informed them I would have to give my former employer two weeks notice, I was asked what days off I had for the next two weeks, so I could start immediately.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Assistant Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Easy questions - related to physical abilities and previous jobs

Interview Question – Do you mind cleaning toilets?   Answer Question

Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called within a week or two about a job opening... store manager asked me to come in to interview, I agreed. Once getting to the store, store manager took me to the office to interview me, it all lasted less than 30 minutes or so.

Interview Question – I was repeatedly asked if I steal, or would steal for friends... repeatedly. It was so alarming and bothersome, I almost told her to offer the job to someone else. Apparently they have a huge shrink (theft) problem in their stores, but anybody asked if they steal are going to tell you "no" so I don't see how that's a question to spend 15 minutes discussing with someone brand new.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – The environment was unprofessional

Interview Question – Percentages and such ridiculous question suggestions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – the job and the pay were not agreeable to my terms

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Horrible. .was interviewed and hired same day. Didn't receive a call til 3 months later

Negotiation Details – Promised one amount..given less once on board

New Orleans, LA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2012.

Interview Details – Online application lengthy and includes quizzes and questionnaires. The interview was conducted by a hiring manager from a corporate office in another states.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions unless you don't do well with math.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online and went in during open house. The interview was very easy and the questions were not hard. The DM stated 'I could start as a store manager'' she would pull my app and start the background checks. I sent her email to follow up and nothing. I called the DM and she set up an interview with a store manager and that was a breeze as well.

Interview Question – How would you deal an unruly customer?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I did not feel comfortable with the reply process and by the time, they go back to me I had two other offers, both with more money.

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2013.

Interview Details – I went online to apply. I was called in and interviewed by the store manager. The store was clean and the employees were friendly. I received a call back saying that I had to meet with the AOM of the store for a second interview. I arrived and met with the AOM in the office and was pleased with the interview and was told I had the job that day in a matter of minutes.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question for me was about my children, I was asked how many and how old they were. I suppose usually that I wouldn't have answered that question, but because I was comfortable with the interviewer and the fact that I was sure about receiving the position.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – You receive a phone cal and pay is discussed then setup initial interview. Then you will receive a call to interview with district manager. The DM will send you for drug test, then they will arrange for your to start training when the drug test comes back. These are very easy interviews

Interview Question – Did not receive any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Bentonville, AR

I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

Interview Details – I saw an ad online (later posted on the store window). I was hoping to get into FD and quickly work my way into a growing company and becoming a DM. But after months of trying to get any feedback at all, I gave up. The store positions are still open. Employees are very discouraged.

Interview Question – Never encountered that since I could never get an interview.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores Assistant Manager interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees and interview candidates.