Family Dollar Stores

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

District Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with corporate recruiter, then interviewed with panel consisting of RVP, two LP one of which could barely keep awake, and one DM who is more qualified to be the RVP, then met again with RVP & another DM, then flown to NC for one on one interview each with HR & DVP. Seemed a bit disorganized and very repetitive at times.

Interview Question – Basic questions at panel level. Be prepared to answer about how you hold people accountable, how you have terminated people, and about your loss prevention skills & shrink reduction.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation had to take the lower than expected pay offered.

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2013.

Interview Details – Called by a recruiter who saw resume on Monster. Asked a few questions on resume, few technical questions, and asked what I was looking for (typical HR screening). Then spoke with Regional Manager for follow-up, more on experiences and accomplishment. Detailed interview with business metrics/mentality for aknowledge base. Highly interested in ways to better company culture (staffing/retention) and ways to increase sales. Then follow-up interviews with HR manager and LP. Finally flew out to area hub for interview panel of GVP and regional manager. Offer made same day.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail your biggest strength and weakness and how your overcoming it.   Answer Question
  • Walk me through your approach to Loss Prevention in a retail store.   Answer Question
  • Using your past experiences, how would you adapt to FD culture?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Comprehensive package including full RELO w/lump sum payment included. Negotiated on start date only due to move.

District Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2008.

Interview Details – There was an extensive on-line personality test and a difficult math portion. Also, had reading comprehension. This was timed and was very challenging to finish with the time given. Had a 3panel interview, which you had to wait at least 50 minutes. They had you sit sit down and just fired the interview questions at you. Had 2 phone interviews and 2, 1:1.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your management style?   View Answer
  • What was your highest shrink number in any of the companies you worked for?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate slightly on salary and can negotiate well on vacation time if you don't reach your desired salary.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

District Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in June 2010.

Interview Details – DM interviewes all canidates for assistant manager and store manager, every DM is different in what they are looking for, some do hire store managers from outside the company, others fill the position from within

Interview Question – What can you bring to the company   Answer Question

District Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in May 2009.

Interview Details – I applied twice for the same position and this worked for me.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume and tell me why you are the right person for this position.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores District Manager interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees and interview candidates.