Family Dollar Stores

Relevance Date Difficulty

Set Up Interview

Set Up
Shenandoah, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

Interview Details – one interview hired for new store setup did not realize we would have to unload a 50 ft trailer full of shelving, racks, and very heavy items, warm water at break, very hard for any women, believe it should be a man's job or a professional setup crew, I expected to just stock the shelves not all of this

Interview Question – no questions, just drug test   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – $8 an hour

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Was very easy and laid back, asked basic questions about shrink and managing others. Nothing someone with a little experience couldn't handle. Be sure when answering questions about shrink, to stand firm on giving no one a break. To them there is never an acceptable reason to steal.

Interview Question – They were all easy questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Started at ten for the time being, Until fully trained then will be given salary and promoted to store manager

Customer Service Representative/Assistant Interview

Customer Service Representative/Assistant
Slidell, LA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2013.

Interview Details – Not much to the interview considering the manager told me upfront she doesn't know how to interview. My manager hired anyone that came back with a clear background and drug test. This was done so the manager didn't have to work when she didn't have anyone. What does that tell you??? The employees we had were jokes. Lazy, rude and no work ethnic. The good employees such as myself worked so hard with no praise. Mention concerns to the manager only to get no resolution. This place was built on drama as the manager thrives on it. What can you expect when this is the atmosphere??????

Interview Question – Can you work any hours? That's the big question at Family Dollar. Why? So they can work you crazy hours.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. They pay minimum wage to cashiers(customer service rep) and assistants receive $1.75/hr more than cashiers. Accepted the job only because I needed a job immediately.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – It was a short 5-10 minute interview. Basic "tell me about a time when" type questions. Nothing unexpected, just straight to the point. Friendly easy going atmosphere with just the Manager.

Interview Question – Why should i hire you over someone else?   Answer Question

Sharon Hill, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was a breeze. Although, the current manager had only been there 3 months and didn't at all seem satisfied. Spent plenty of time telling me how low the pay scale was and how hard the work load would be and how few hours I would get. Don't expect overtime. He was seriously trying to talk me into not taking the position? Now that I look back, I think he was threatened.

Interview Question – Asked the standard questions. "What if? What would you do? How would you handle? Tell me about a time... Also, seemed particularly interested in how I would handle shrinkage(employee theft).   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in June 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then met hiring manager at airport for interview, took about two weeks then I got phone call with offer. There was no negotiation for position, but it was satisfactory.

Interview Question – Not an impossible HR interview, just two people speaking frankly about their work and abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Temporary Customer Service Representative Interview

Temporary Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in May 2014.

Interview Details – There really wasn't much of an interview. I arrived to the store and the manager asked a few questions regarding my age and my previous work history. After that I was instructed to take a drug test. After completion of the drug test I was added to the system and instructed to finish the hiring process.

Interview Question – Basic questions. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phrase.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

Interview Details – I was hired the moment I walked in. Some strange upheaval had occurred. I had on a red shirt and was offered the job. Was told it was 8.50 and hour. No room for negotiation. Even asked about pay for experience and was told 8.50.

Interview Question – After I informed them I would have to give my former employer two weeks notice, I was asked what days off I had for the next two weeks, so I could start immediately.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2013.

Interview Details – submitted an online app, which is not tied to the store managers hiring process. can only apply in person. i handed my resume to the manager , made an impression, was given an interview on the spot, and hired a few days later. the questions are basic, mostly moral questions with some problem solving.

Interview Question – describe why youre interested/ right for the position   View Answer

Negotiation Details – pay is non negotiable- its always trash barely minimum wage even for management. do not recommend this job, even if it is very easy to get.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2010.

Interview Details – A joke, departing manager was fired for stealing

Negotiation Details – There was none, flat offer, take it or leave it

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores interview questions and advice. All 170 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees and interview candidates.