Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
176 interviews

2.1

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

They were having in-store interviews and I met with the manger and the training manger. They were both very friendly and made the interview a comfortable experience. I was contacted the next day and set up another interview with the DM a week later. She asked more in-depth, career oriented questions. Again a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee  in  Midlothian, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Midlothian, IL

I interviewed online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

Waste of time. I applied for the job because the description just stated customer service experience, which I have over 10 years of. I got called in for an interview a few days later and was told that she couldn't continue the process because I didn't have management experience. Can you please tell me why you called me then?

Store Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

I applied online. I was called by the district manager two days later to schedule an interview for the next day. The interview was very thorough as far as the job description. The questions were not tricky, they were expected. Interview went well and lasted about 45 minutes. I was then contacted by the human resources manager for a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. She again went over the job description very thoroughly, her questions were also not tricky. I was again contacted by the district manager and he again went over the details of the job and what is expected and entailed, he then offered me what I felt was a fair salary for a 52-hour work week.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. I have been in retail for a long time and I did not get any questions that I felt were unreasonable or tricky.   View Answer
    I may have been able to negotiate but did not because I felt the offer was fair.

Temporary Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Jamaica, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

I filled out the application on the family dollar website, for a new store that was opening up not too far from my home. I received a call back about a week and a half later from a manager of another store who was conducting interviews, since the store I applied to had not opened up yet. I was asked to come in for an interview the next day, and the process was very simple. The manager who conducted my interview was very nice and did not ask me many questions. She was more interested in explaining to me the details of the position and in my availability. The whole process lasted about 5 minutes, and afterwords she told me that I would be receiving a call from another manager to bring in my State ID and my social security card. I was also asked to take a drug test within the next 24 hours. Unfortunately, even tho I successfully completed and passed my drug test, I never received that secondary call to bring in my information. Even after several attempts to get in contact with the manager that interviewed me, I was unable to reach her and thus missed the starting date for the position.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2011.

For me this was actually a very rare occurrence, because I applied and it only took them two weeks to get me hired and put into the system. I say it's rare because now that it's been almost three years since, I've noticed that now it averages about 4-6 weeks just for that to happen. Interview was easy and basic. The manager made me feel very relaxed and he told me the run down on how everything works. If you get an interview, you almost always get the job at FD.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult, but if I had to choose one, I'd have to say: Why do you want to work at Family Dollar?   Answer Question
    Ask for a HIGHER amount than what you think you deserve because if they talk you down to a lower number you will at least get what you deserve.

Store Manager Interview

Very Complicated needed to finish online first, which never seemed to work properly. Anywhere from error messages to kept getting disconnected from server no matter what system I used. Their in store systems to hire staff are so out date and slow (seemed slower than dial up) that it makes almost impossible for anyone to finish the application process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process seemed very unprofessional and lacking substance.   Answer Question

Set Up Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shenandoah, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenandoah, PA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

one interview hired for new store setup did not realize we would have to unload a 50 ft trailer full of shelving, racks, and very heavy items, warm water at break, very hard for any women, believe it should be a man's job or a professional setup crew, I expected to just stock the shelves not all of this

$8 an hour

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Was very easy and laid back, asked basic questions about shrink and managing others. Nothing someone with a little experience couldn't handle. Be sure when answering questions about shrink, to stand firm on giving no one a break. To them there is never an acceptable reason to steal.

Interview Questions
    Started at ten for the time being, Until fully trained then will be given salary and promoted to store manager

Customer Service Representative/Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Slidell, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slidell, LA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2013.

Not much to the interview considering the manager told me upfront she doesn't know how to interview. My manager hired anyone that came back with a clear background and drug test. This was done so the manager didn't have to work when she didn't have anyone. What does that tell you??? The employees we had were jokes. Lazy, rude and no work ethnic. The good employees such as myself worked so hard with no praise. Mention concerns to the manager only to get no resolution. This place was built on drama as the manager thrives on it. What can you expect when this is the atmosphere??????

Interview Questions
    • Can you work any hours? That's the big question at Family Dollar. Why? So they can work you crazy hours.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. They pay minimum wage to cashiers(customer service rep) and assistants receive $1.75/hr more than cashiers. Accepted the job only because I needed a job immediately.

Cashier Interview

It was a short 5-10 minute interview. Basic "tell me about a time when" type questions. Nothing unexpected, just straight to the point. Friendly easy going atmosphere with just the Manager.

Interview Questions

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!