Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.1

Technical Architect Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in September 2009.

Spoke with a recruiter. Initial questions were about job stability. Once we got over that, recruiter setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. Initial call was supposed to be 30 minutes or so. Spoke for about an hour. Questions were too conceptual for a phone interview. Situations were so vague that I felt like I was being asked to teach architectural principles. I know early on that there was no chance. If I had been offered I could not have worked for them. Advised recruiter when they called to inform me I was not being considered of the oddities of the interview and I was told that I was not the first. Since then other technical positions have opened up but I am sure from the interviewer's perspective I am an idiot, so I most likely will never pursue any positions with them in the future. My issue to be clear is not with FDS, but the specific personality and architecture is what I really want to do.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked to review a new technology. How do you decide if you will recommed it?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Quincy, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2011.

store manager was just promoted, had no clue how to conduct the hiring process, the questions he was supposed to ask me he just told me to fill in the blanks,he asked me nothing,told me nothing, then said i was fired when i couldnt start when he wanted me to. he def needs to be trained for the store manager position

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2010.

reviewed sales ,losses hiring and training

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2010.

Interview. Was more like a interogation

Interview Questions
    • They wanted a resume with more then 10years experience   View Answer

"Senior" Level Position (Operations) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2011.

This company has undergone some major restructuring, and it is painfully obvious that it has not been to their benefit.

At first, I received the standard rejection e-mail, but then I was invited to interview because someone had quit suddenly. I should have heeded the big, red, waving flag then and there. The onsite interview was somewhat long, and I spent more time being questioned by various potential new colleagues than I did speaking with the actual members of the upper management team who made the hiring decisions.

When I did have a 1:1 with a high-level member of the upper management, he told me that "many" of the people working in this particular department/division were not happy that he was in charge because they felt he was not qualified to lead them. Furthermore, he revealed that that the members of his division react quite negatively and loudly to any sort of change, and described them as unable to create or follow any sort of process or plan when asked. Then he proceeded to complain about how difficult various other divisions in the company were to work with, how cheaply the company pares down its stores, and how technologically behind-the-times the whole company really is. I had pretty much determined at that point that this position--and this company--was not a good fit for me. However, the whole experience was topped off by the distinct lack of professionalism of the obviously inexperienced HR person who felt the need to justify their decision not to make me an offer by repeating negative (and, frankly, unwarranted and curiously off-base) comments that had been made about my work ethic, work history, and personality.

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in May 2009.

I applied twice for the same position and this worked for me.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume and tell me why you are the right person for this position.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

I interviewed with a DM and a Recruiter. The recruiter basically yelled at me all duing the interview over my experience in my previous position. I left the interview dazed and confused.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "Why did you have a high turn over rate?"   View Answer

The interview process was more like being scolded by an upset parent.

Replenishment Buyer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2013.

drug test, personality test, phone interview, person interview

other job

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2008.

There was an extensive on-line personality test and a difficult math portion. Also, had reading comprehension. This was timed and was very challenging to finish with the time given. Had a 3panel interview, which you had to wait at least 50 minutes. They had you sit sit down and just fired the interview questions at you. Had 2 phone interviews and 2, 1:1.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe your management style?   View Answer
    • What was your highest shrink number in any of the companies you worked for?   View Answer
    You can negotiate slightly on salary and can negotiate well on vacation time if you don't reach your desired salary.

Replenishment Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Matthews, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in June 2013.

Phone interview was the first part of the process. Easy behavioral types of questions done by the recruiter. After the phone screening you will be prompted to go in for an in person interview. Before the interview you take a case study which is basic inventory questions. The interview is 2.5 hours long with about 10 different employees interviewing you in a panel interview. The 10 people were split up into groups of 2 to 3 and asked the same questions behavioral/ analytical scenarios. The questions asked were not hard. However, the interviewers, current employees in the position, were very unfriendly and condescending during the interview. The most negative interview I have ever experienced due to the interviewers and their behavior. They acted as if they were God's gift to the world and their job was superior to everyone elses. I would never recommend this company or at least this concentrated area to anyone.

Interview Questions

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!