Family Dollar Stores

172 candidate interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Quincy, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2011.

Interview Details – store manager was just promoted, had no clue how to conduct the hiring process, the questions he was supposed to ask me he just told me to fill in the blanks,he asked me nothing,told me nothing, then said i was fired when i couldnt start when he wanted me to. he def needs to be trained for the store manager position

Interview Questions

Management Interview

Management
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview. Was more like a interogation

Interview Question – They wanted a resume with more then 10years experience   View Answer

Technical Architect Interview

Technical Architect

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in September 2009.

Interview Details – Spoke with a recruiter. Initial questions were about job stability. Once we got over that, recruiter setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. Initial call was supposed to be 30 minutes or so. Spoke for about an hour. Questions were too conceptual for a phone interview. Situations were so vague that I felt like I was being asked to teach architectural principles. I know early on that there was no chance. If I had been offered I could not have worked for them. Advised recruiter when they called to inform me I was not being considered of the oddities of the interview and I was told that I was not the first. Since then other technical positions have opened up but I am sure from the interviewer's perspective I am an idiot, so I most likely will never pursue any positions with them in the future. My issue to be clear is not with FDS, but the specific personality and architecture is what I really want to do.

Interview Question – You are asked to review a new technology. How do you decide if you will recommed it?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2010.

Interview Details – reviewed sales ,losses hiring and training

Interview Question – why should I hire you ?   View Answer

"Senior" Level Position (Operations) Interview

"Senior" Level Position (Operations)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2011.

Interview Details – This company has undergone some major restructuring, and it is painfully obvious that it has not been to their benefit.

At first, I received the standard rejection e-mail, but then I was invited to interview because someone had quit suddenly. I should have heeded the big, red, waving flag then and there. The onsite interview was somewhat long, and I spent more time being questioned by various potential new colleagues than I did speaking with the actual members of the upper management team who made the hiring decisions.

When I did have a 1:1 with a high-level member of the upper management, he told me that "many" of the people working in this particular department/division were not happy that he was in charge because they felt he was not qualified to lead them. Furthermore, he revealed that that the members of his division react quite negatively and loudly to any sort of change, and described them as unable to create or follow any sort of process or plan when asked. Then he proceeded to complain about how difficult various other divisions in the company were to work with, how cheaply the company pares down its stores, and how technologically behind-the-times the whole company really is. I had pretty much determined at that point that this position--and this company--was not a good fit for me. However, the whole experience was topped off by the distinct lack of professionalism of the obviously inexperienced HR person who felt the need to justify their decision not to make me an offer by repeating negative (and, frankly, unwarranted and curiously off-base) comments that had been made about my work ethic, work history, and personality.

Trainer Interview

Trainer
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2009.

Interview Details – This was a very difficult interview at the Corporate Office of Famiy Dollar. The panel interview consisted of individuals on the team I was interviewing for. They immediately made me feel inferior by touting all of their qualifications and downplaying mine. I felt as though they were looking down their noses at me the whole time and they made absolutely no attempts to make me feel comfortable. After I finished the presentation portion of my interview, the hiring manager walked out without acknowledging me. Yes, I realized afterwards that I was underqualified for the job at that point in my career, but they were the ones who called me in for an interview so I at least expected to be treated with a little bit of respect.

Interview Question – There were no actual questions posed. They described the job, talked about why they were awesome at it, then told me why I would suck at it.   Answer Question

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Senior Network Engineer
Matthews, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from their corporate recruiter after applying online. She was very pointed and asked several questions, fairly thorough. Mostly about whether I had visited one of their stores, what I was looking for in my next position, what my salary requirements were, etc.

After passing the initial phone screen, I was granted a "technical" interview with one of their engineers. It was fairly simple, just a combing over for half an hour through my resume to determine if I was completely full of it. The interviewer was extremely talkative so it didn't end up amounting to a very thorough screening, but nonetheless I passed.

They flew me out to Charlotte and put me up in a hotel near Matthews, NC where their HQ is. I also received a rental car. It was a bit late by the time I got in, probably midnight, and I had to be in for the interviews at 8 am. Fun.

Upon arrival, I met the recruiter, and was placed in a room for the interviews. The first interview was fairly simple, mostly just a recital of my resume and an interview for culture fit. After that, there were two technical interviews. The first of which being easier, conducted with one of their Sr. Engineers. The questions were somewhat mid Network Engineer level, with questions about specific points on my resume. There was a fair amount of discussion about Type A personalities (something I should have apparently done some reading on prior to the interview, because it held weight with multiple members of their staff), where most of the current networking staff is Type A and therefore something they are looking for in a candidate.

The second technical interview was quite difficult. They clearly had reviewed my resume and tried to find areas that I was potentially weak and probed questions about those topics. The position is primarily a route/switch/F5/security position. Quite a few questions about F5/Firewalls/Security.

The last several interviews were with the Network managers and IT management. Very nice guys and former engineers. Mostly a cultural interview with questions about whether I was prepared to work on a network that would leave me responsible for a Fortune 500 company, with a couple of hours downtime leading in excess of $1M loss.

They joined me for lunch and paid. Then I was off.

Interview Question – Describe the SSL communications between a server and a host's web browser.

Name 3 different load balancing methods on an F5 load balancer virtual server.

Are you a type A personality?

Do you have any experience with BGP?

Draw out a L3 network diagram of your current works' network (focused on OSPF).

Why do you use OSPF and not EIGRP?

Describe the technical differences between TACACS+ and RADIUS.

There was also quite a bit of discussion about BYOD & IPv6.
  Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Matthews, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewer was very pleasant and had an overall phone demeanor that put the interviewee at ease. The questions asked seemed to be very relevant to the position and there were no apparent curve balls. The interviewer requested information concerning past experiences related to certain skills.

Interview Question – Describe your past experiences with and/or knowledge of computer programming.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a DM and a Recruiter. The recruiter basically yelled at me all duing the interview over my experience in my previous position. I left the interview dazed and confused.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was "Why did you have a high turn over rate?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The interview process was more like being scolded by an upset parent.

Replenishment Buyer Interview

Replenishment Buyer

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – drug test, personality test, phone interview, person interview

Interview Question – greatest strength?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – other job

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!