Family Dollar Stores

Updated Jan 14, 2015
Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.0

Technical Architect Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in September 2009.

Spoke with a recruiter. Initial questions were about job stability. Once we got over that, recruiter setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. Initial call was supposed to be 30 minutes or so. Spoke for about an hour. Questions were too conceptual for a phone interview. Situations were so vague that I felt like I was being asked to teach architectural principles. I know early on that there was no chance. If I had been offered I could not have worked for them. Advised recruiter when they called to inform me I was not being considered of the oddities of the interview and I was told that I was not the first. Since then other technical positions have opened up but I am sure from the interviewer's perspective I am an idiot, so I most likely will never pursue any positions with them in the future. My issue to be clear is not with FDS, but the specific personality and architecture is what I really want to do.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked to review a new technology. How do you decide if you will recommed it?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2010.

reviewed sales ,losses hiring and training

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2010.

Interview. Was more like a interogation

Interview Questions
    • They wanted a resume with more then 10years experience   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2011.

store manager was just promoted, had no clue how to conduct the hiring process, the questions he was supposed to ask me he just told me to fill in the blanks,he asked me nothing,told me nothing, then said i was fired when i couldnt start when he wanted me to. he def needs to be trained for the store manager position

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2009.

This was a very difficult interview at the Corporate Office of Famiy Dollar. The panel interview consisted of individuals on the team I was interviewing for. They immediately made me feel inferior by touting all of their qualifications and downplaying mine. I felt as though they were looking down their noses at me the whole time and they made absolutely no attempts to make me feel comfortable. After I finished the presentation portion of my interview, the hiring manager walked out without acknowledging me. Yes, I realized afterwards that I was underqualified for the job at that point in my career, but they were the ones who called me in for an interview so I at least expected to be treated with a little bit of respect.

Interview Questions
    • There were no actual questions posed. They described the job, talked about why they were awesome at it, then told me why I would suck at it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2009.

Interviewer was very pleasant and had an overall phone demeanor that put the interviewee at ease. The questions asked seemed to be very relevant to the position and there were no apparent curve balls. The interviewer requested information concerning past experiences related to certain skills.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your past experiences with and/or knowledge of computer programming.   Answer Question

"Senior" Level Position (Operations) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2011.

This company has undergone some major restructuring, and it is painfully obvious that it has not been to their benefit.

At first, I received the standard rejection e-mail, but then I was invited to interview because someone had quit suddenly. I should have heeded the big, red, waving flag then and there. The onsite interview was somewhat long, and I spent more time being questioned by various potential new colleagues than I did speaking with the actual members of the upper management team who made the hiring decisions.

When I did have a 1:1 with a high-level member of the upper management, he told me that "many" of the people working in this particular department/division were not happy that he was in charge because they felt he was not qualified to lead them. Furthermore, he revealed that that the members of his division react quite negatively and loudly to any sort of change, and described them as unable to create or follow any sort of process or plan when asked. Then he proceeded to complain about how difficult various other divisions in the company were to work with, how cheaply the company pares down its stores, and how technologically behind-the-times the whole company really is. I had pretty much determined at that point that this position--and this company--was not a good fit for me. However, the whole experience was topped off by the distinct lack of professionalism of the obviously inexperienced HR person who felt the need to justify their decision not to make me an offer by repeating negative (and, frankly, unwarranted and curiously off-base) comments that had been made about my work ethic, work history, and personality.

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2008.

There was an extensive on-line personality test and a difficult math portion. Also, had reading comprehension. This was timed and was very challenging to finish with the time given. Had a 3panel interview, which you had to wait at least 50 minutes. They had you sit sit down and just fired the interview questions at you. Had 2 phone interviews and 2, 1:1.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe your management style?   View Answer
    • What was your highest shrink number in any of the companies you worked for?   View Answer
    You can negotiate slightly on salary and can negotiate well on vacation time if you don't reach your desired salary.

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in May 2009.

I applied twice for the same position and this worked for me.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume and tell me why you are the right person for this position.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

I interviewed with a DM and a Recruiter. The recruiter basically yelled at me all duing the interview over my experience in my previous position. I left the interview dazed and confused.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "Why did you have a high turn over rate?"   View Answer

The interview process was more like being scolded by an upset parent.