Family Dollar Stores

159 candidate interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Bentonville, AR

I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

Interview Details – I saw an ad online (later posted on the store window). I was hoping to get into FD and quickly work my way into a growing company and becoming a DM. But after months of trying to get any feedback at all, I gave up. The store positions are still open. Employees are very discouraged.

Interview Question – Never encountered that since I could never get an interview.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – The worst HR team I have ever come across. They have scheduled my phone interview two times and missed every time. I emailed them first time when they missed my interview, so they schedules a week later. They didnt even bother to email me back to give a heads up.

Please respect others "time" as well.

Interview Question – They never called !   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called within a week or two about a job opening... store manager asked me to come in to interview, I agreed. Once getting to the store, store manager took me to the office to interview me, it all lasted less than 30 minutes or so.

Interview Question – I was repeatedly asked if I steal, or would steal for friends... repeatedly. It was so alarming and bothersome, I almost told her to offer the job to someone else. Apparently they have a huge shrink (theft) problem in their stores, but anybody asked if they steal are going to tell you "no" so I don't see how that's a question to spend 15 minutes discussing with someone brand new.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier

Interviewed at Family Dollar Stores

Interview Details – the interview wasn't formal i applied and i got the job

Strategy Intern Interview

Interviewed at Family Dollar Stores

Interview Details – Submitted resume/application via company website. Followed up with phone interview approximately 3-4 weeks later, then invited on site for three 1:1 interviews.

Interview Question – Mini-case based questions: I've heard they vary them by interview, but the standard mini-cases like "how many golf-balls would fit on a 747?" The answer isn't important, just sharing your assumptions and showing your analytical thinking.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Store Clerk Interview

Store Clerk

Interviewed at Family Dollar Stores

Interview Details – Can you lift 30+ lbs? On my first day working there I realized why I was asked such a question. I was told to climb the truck with all of the merchandise unload and stock it while the other 3 worker did nothing. I quit after I got an offer for another job.

Interview Question – I was only asked one question.   Answer Question

Transportation Coordinator Interview

Interviewed at Family Dollar Stores

Interview Details – The phone interview was conducted with the department manager and the and an HR representative and went well. I gave them a lot of information about my current position and how that would benefit their department with the knowledge I had from my previous position. I think the interview went well.

Interview Question – do you call out a lot   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one

Temporary Customer Service Interview

Interviewed at Family Dollar Stores

Interview Details – The interview was pretty standard. I got questions like "Tell me about yourself" and "Tell me about a time you had bad customer service" and "Why would you be an asset to the company" and I was asked about my availability. Easy stuff.

Interview Question – When have you had bad customer service?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

Interviewed at Family Dollar Stores

Interview Details – One interview with District Manager, hired me same day.

Interview Question – How to best control inventory.   Answer Question

Family Dollar Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – I dropped a resume off and did not receive a response. I did a follow-up in 3 months and found out there was a online application process through a different Manager working there.Applied for a Assistant Manager Position. Behavioral and comprehension questions..standard. Manager seemed new at the interviewing process. Questions were scripted..my answers prompt. When the interview started to lag I started asking questions what the Manager needed from me. 1st interview was 30 minutes. Second interview was one and a half hours with District Manager

Interview Question – I did not have retail experience but had over 9 years experience in Management in another aspect of the People Business. When asked why I thought I would be a better candidate that others with more experience. I explained that the Company that original trained me as a Manager had the philosophy that Managers had be able to lead any team. So for myself I looked at it as the same job just a different product to sell.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores interview questions and advice. All 159 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees and interview candidates.