Family Dollar Stores

2.0

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midlothian, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midlothian, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

Waste of time. I applied for the job because the description just stated customer service experience, which I have over 10 years of. I got called in for an interview a few days later and was told that she couldn't continue the process because I didn't have management experience. Can you please tell me why you called me then?

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

I applied online and a few days later I got called for an interview. The women who called me for the interview didn't even show up. I interviewed with another person that was there and it went great, loved talking to her. She told me she would try to get a hold of the original people that where supposed to interview me and get back to me. I never heard anything from anyone of them again.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

It was an easy casual interview if you have been in retail for a long time. No trick questions. Straight forward. Be honest and the will give you a shot. Show your personal values but always remember that the bottom line is profit and how you are going to make the company money.

Store Manager Interview

Very Complicated needed to finish online first, which never seemed to work properly. Anywhere from error messages to kept getting disconnected from server no matter what system I used. Their in store systems to hire staff are so out date and slow (seemed slower than dial up) that it makes almost impossible for anyone to finish the application process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process seemed very unprofessional and lacking substance.   Answer Question

Temporary Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

I filled out the application on the family dollar website, for a new store that was opening up not too far from my home. I received a call back about a week and a half later from a manager of another store who was conducting interviews, since the store I applied to had not opened up yet. I was asked to come in for an interview the next day, and the process was very simple. The manager who conducted my interview was very nice and did not ask me many questions. She was more interested in explaining to me the details of the position and in my availability. The whole process lasted about 5 minutes, and afterwords she told me that I would be receiving a call from another manager to bring in my State ID and my social security card. I was also asked to take a drug test within the next 24 hours. Unfortunately, even tho I successfully completed and passed my drug test, I never received that secondary call to bring in my information. Even after several attempts to get in contact with the manager that interviewed me, I was unable to reach her and thus missed the starting date for the position.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Was very easy and laid back, asked basic questions about shrink and managing others. Nothing someone with a little experience couldn't handle. Be sure when answering questions about shrink, to stand firm on giving no one a break. To them there is never an acceptable reason to steal.

Interview Questions
    Started at ten for the time being, Until fully trained then will be given salary and promoted to store manager

Set Up Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenandoah, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenandoah, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

one interview hired for new store setup did not realize we would have to unload a 50 ft trailer full of shelving, racks, and very heavy items, warm water at break, very hard for any women, believe it should be a man's job or a professional setup crew, I expected to just stock the shelves not all of this

$8 an hour

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Visalia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Visalia, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

I came in 15 minutes early and after about 5 minutes the manager finally shook my hand and took me to the interview room. He seemed a bit preoccupied since only 2 people work in the store at a time. The interview went great, although the interviewer was hard to understand on occasion. He asked me tons of questions that weren't even on the question sheet. It was like having a conversation with your friend. We talked about both liking art and tons of tangents. My interview went so well (i thought), it extended into someone else's interview time slot. The manager told me he had more interviews, but would be calling me in for a second interview the next day. I shook his hand and we walked out then he greeted the other interviewee. I waited and never got a call back. Called back for follow up a week or so later and he said they were still determining the position.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me about certain things I knew how to do, like set up displays and displaying merchandise, but used technical terms I didn't understand. Once they were defined I told him I could do all the tasks asked.
      Why do you want to work for family dollar?

Answer Question

I Thought Assistant Store Manager Turned Out I Was Interviewing for A Freaking Cashier Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huffman, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huffman, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

Stire manager called and left a voicemail on Thursday. Interview wasnt scheduled until the following Tuesday. The interview was short, 15 minutes, and the questions were basic. I applied for assistant store manager, and was only given the cashier position.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to sell something?
      How did you push the sale?

Answer Question
    • Would you be against unloading a truck and working every Wednesday on truck days?   Answer Question
    • Why did you leave your last job?   Answer Question
    Coming in to do paperwork, I discovered that even though I have 9 years of retail and sales experience and 2 years managerial experience, I was t being considered for the open Assistant Manager position. I was being hired as a cashier. And taking into consideration my experience, the store manager said "the highest she could.offer me is $7.70 an hour".
    How laughable.
    Then she hired the daughter of another family dollar store manager in our district, started her as an assistant store manager, though she's only worked in the food industry (as a server and expeditor) and had a negligible amount of retail or grocery experience.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

It was a short 5-10 minute interview. Basic "tell me about a time when" type questions. Nothing unexpected, just straight to the point. Friendly easy going atmosphere with just the Manager.