Family Dollar Stores

171 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an immediate response. Family Dollar stores in urban areas are meat markets and are constantly burning through managers. Contact was made by DM and interview was set up. Basic questions about management experience and willingness to do a "dirty job". Essentially, if you have a heartbeat, they tend to have you take your drug test right there. They are so cheap, the DM administers drug tests right there. After a background check, an offer is made.

Interview Question – Can you pee into this cup?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't much room for negotiation. Family Dollar has pay rates assigned to each specific store. Even if you manage to get a little more money out of them, they will remove it from the payroll in your store. You'll have less hours for employees, so you will work more. Hence your extra $2000 a year actually ends up as an hourly pay cut

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was sent to a location where the interview was conducted
 They questioned my flexibility and integrity etc etc. How capable i was of doing the job etc etc. Interview went well. I got the position of assistant store manager. Not happy with senior management. Need to do more to improve efficiency in stores.

Interview Question – No question was difficult   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – They asked me about high school and overcoming something difficult in my life.

Interview Question – Would you tell on co worker if they were breaking store policy in your presence.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Family Dollar Stores

Interview Details – the interview wasn't formal i applied and i got the job

Very Easy Interview

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online. When you get called for interview it literally takes three minutes. Anyone can work for this company.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. You are asked about your experience and availability.   Answer Question

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the district manager on the phone within one week of applying to the company and had a live interview within a week later. The interview went well. I was happy with the results. I saw that the company had good benefits and the pay was what I asked for, so we set up a start date.

Negotiation Details – I asked for the salary I made at my previous job and was granted that salary. I left happy and the Intervewier was happy.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called within a week or two about a job opening... store manager asked me to come in to interview, I agreed. Once getting to the store, store manager took me to the office to interview me, it all lasted less than 30 minutes or so.

Interview Question – I was repeatedly asked if I steal, or would steal for friends... repeatedly. It was so alarming and bothersome, I almost told her to offer the job to someone else. Apparently they have a huge shrink (theft) problem in their stores, but anybody asked if they steal are going to tell you "no" so I don't see how that's a question to spend 15 minutes discussing with someone brand new.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process was rushed because of the urgent need for the position to be filled. Training was done by assistant manager who was not trained neither. Minimum hours to work is 52+ hours, but expected to put in 60+ with on day off a week and fill in for sick employees.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Late arrival as a manger....no organization...rude employees, slowfulness...questions he asked pertained more to personal inquiries than work.

Interview Question – do I think I will be a good employee   View Answer

Reason for Declining – there was no interest

Replenishment Buyer Interview

Replenishment Buyer

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – drug test, personality test, phone interview, person interview

Interview Question – greatest strength?   Answer Question