Family Dollar Stores

2.0

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Applied online and went in during open house. The interview was very easy and the questions were not hard. The DM stated 'I could start as a store manager'' she would pull my app and start the background checks. I sent her email to follow up and nothing. I called the DM and she set up an interview with a store manager and that was a breeze as well.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal an unruly customer?   View Answer

I did not feel comfortable with the reply process and by the time, they go back to me I had two other offers, both with more money.

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

I received a phone call from their corporate recruiter after applying online. She was very pointed and asked several questions, fairly thorough. Mostly about whether I had visited one of their stores, what I was looking for in my next position, what my salary requirements were, etc.

After passing the initial phone screen, I was granted a "technical" interview with one of their engineers. It was fairly simple, just a combing over for half an hour through my resume to determine if I was completely full of it. The interviewer was extremely talkative so it didn't end up amounting to a very thorough screening, but nonetheless I passed.

They flew me out to Charlotte and put me up in a hotel near Matthews, NC where their HQ is. I also received a rental car. It was a bit late by the time I got in, probably midnight, and I had to be in for the interviews at 8 am. Fun.

Upon arrival, I met the recruiter, and was placed in a room for the interviews. The first interview was fairly simple, mostly just a recital of my resume and an interview for culture fit. After that, there were two technical interviews. The first of which being easier, conducted with one of their Sr. Engineers. The questions were somewhat mid Network Engineer level, with questions about specific points on my resume. There was a fair amount of discussion about Type A personalities (something I should have apparently done some reading on prior to the interview, because it held weight with multiple members of their staff), where most of the current networking staff is Type A and therefore something they are looking for in a candidate.

The second technical interview was quite difficult. They clearly had reviewed my resume and tried to find areas that I was potentially weak and probed questions about those topics. The position is primarily a route/switch/F5/security position. Quite a few questions about F5/Firewalls/Security.

The last several interviews were with the Network managers and IT management. Very nice guys and former engineers. Mostly a cultural interview with questions about whether I was prepared to work on a network that would leave me responsible for a Fortune 500 company, with a couple of hours downtime leading in excess of $1M loss.

They joined me for lunch and paid. Then I was off.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the SSL communications between a server and a host's web browser.

Name 3 different load balancing methods on an F5 load balancer virtual server.

Are you a type A personality?

Do you have any experience with BGP?

Draw out a L3 network diagram of your current works' network (focused on OSPF).

Why do you use OSPF and not EIGRP?

Describe the technical differences between TACACS+ and RADIUS.

There was also quite a bit of discussion about BYOD & IPv6.

Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

first put in app and if store really needs you expect a call within 3 days,then 1 on 1 interview if your hired then u have to finish the app on computer at store, then do tests on computer at store then your ready to go.

Interview Questions
    • when ask a question be calm about answering and look eye to eye different mngr ask different questions but expect the unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    always start the bar high when it comes to pay never accept below minimum wage but dont push it either.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Oliver, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Oliver, PA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2013.

N/A

Based on a comination of education and availabiity

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Found job from university career services posting, submitted resume, and was emailed to set up phone screening. Phone screening was very basic/easy behavioral. At the end of the phone interview she invited me to the next round at the corporate office. Before the on-site day, I had to take a lengthy personality test and complete paperwork, Then they scheduled an on-site day which consisted of 4, 30-min interviews with a total of 11 people and a case study. Not as daunting as it sounds. The case study was first.. very basic retail math like what is 15% off of $25. The last problem took the most time. They gave a small sample of sales/inventory data and you to allocate a limited amount of products to different stores, then explain your logic. All the interviewers asked the same questions which made it easier. Run through your resume, talk about analytical work, team work, all basic interview stuff.

Interview Questions
    • What is an area your previous employer would say you could improve in?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

You receive a phone cal and pay is discussed then setup initial interview. Then you will receive a call to interview with district manager. The DM will send you for drug test, then they will arrange for your to start training when the drug test comes back. These are very easy interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in June 2013.

Phone interview was the first part of the process. Easy behavioral types of questions done by the recruiter. After the phone screening you will be prompted to go in for an in person interview. Before the interview you take a case study which is basic inventory questions. The interview is 2.5 hours long with about 10 different employees interviewing you in a panel interview. The 10 people were split up into groups of 2 to 3 and asked the same questions behavioral/ analytical scenarios. The questions asked were not hard. However, the interviewers, current employees in the position, were very unfriendly and condescending during the interview. The most negative interview I have ever experienced due to the interviewers and their behavior. They acted as if they were God's gift to the world and their job was superior to everyone elses. I would never recommend this company or at least this concentrated area to anyone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

The initial contact was a phone interview where the basic questions were asked (mostly behavioral). After moving to the next round, which was the in-person interview, I was given a "case study." The case study was a 1 page (front and back) quiz on inventory management. The questions were fairly basic (i.e. calculating profit or loss, gross margin, discouts, etc). The next step was 3 rounds of interviews, each with 2 or 3 people. They were all very similar yet each group had it's own questions. The questions mostly dealt with analytical/managerial experiences. I found the interviewers responded well to personal stories and experiences. I walked through my resume and fielded questions as I went along. I was able to ask questions in return. In all, it lasted about 2.5 hours.

It was a great experience.

No negotiation needed

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in May 2013.

Got called a couple weeks after i submitted an online application to set up an appointment for interview. Showed up at the appointed time for interview and manager wasn't there so had to reschedule. did interview, fairly simple but had mix up about paperwork. so had to come back a second time.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in April 2013.

Typical hiring process. I was contacted by recruiter to conduct a in-person interview. Interview was very standard personality assessment and they did not ask me a single technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Do you mind working up until 2am and holidays including Christmas?   Answer Question
    No negotiation