Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2010.

First interview, over the phone. Second is "interview day" at a store. Theft is a high concern at Family Dollar, they don't hire security so be educated on shrinkage and how you handle theft from customers and employees. Be prepared that you personally will haul all garbage to dumpsters, eliminates theft out the back door. Unload U-boats in 20 minutes. Know how to do resets of merchandise.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions regarding theft and your character. There is not one good reason that a person leaves the store without paying. Even if they are being hauled away in an ambulance, such as a Coke for low blood sugar.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate to a higher wage, 2,000.00 less than the highest paid because of my experience and they put me in a large store with high shrinkage. And probably because they knew I'd work as many hours as it took until the job was done to a high standard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Elizabethtown, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabethtown, KY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2011.

Fill out a long app. Store manager interviews you, Dm interviews you,

none negotiable

Assist Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lehigh Acres, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehigh Acres, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in April 2012.

My initial communication was with a Store Manager on site. I applied on line and then followed up by visiting the store where I applied. The Store Manager liked my qualifications and highly recommended me to the District Manager. Once I was finally able to interview with the District Manager, I was immediately hired upon completion of a family vacation.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questons, The intervew was pretty standard, very comfortable mixed with business and personal conversation.   View Answer
    There was really no negotiation as the offer was in the area of what I was willing to accept, based on a 40 hour work week.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodlettsville, TN

I applied in-person - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in June 2009.

I had an initial interview to get hired on (of course) which was very simple and pleasant and within a year is when I got moved up to Asst Mgr which was a 2nd interview with our Corporate office which also was very nice and pleasant.

How I felt about different situations that would occur inside the store..

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2012.

You need to put detail career experience information. In addition, you need to have a flexible work schedule in order to be considered for the position. Lastly, you need to past the drug test in order to be hired.

There was no salary negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Evansville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansville, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

My experience was a good one. The district manager was very personable. He was very thorough, showing me the store and how Family Dollar did business. I honestly had never shopped in a Family Dollar. Lots of focus on commitment to the job and theft.

Interview Questions
    • How committed to this job are you willing to be?   View Answer
    He made an offer. I countered. We met in the middle.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2012.

Online application lengthy and includes quizzes and questionnaires. The interview was conducted by a hiring manager from a corporate office in another states.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions unless you don't do well with math.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2011.

Phone interview with corporate recruiter, then interviewed with panel consisting of RVP, two LP one of which could barely keep awake, and one DM who is more qualified to be the RVP, then met again with RVP & another DM, then flown to NC for one on one interview each with HR & DVP. Seemed a bit disorganized and very repetitive at times.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions at panel level. Be prepared to answer about how you hold people accountable, how you have terminated people, and about your loss prevention skills & shrink reduction.   Answer Question
    No negotiation had to take the lower than expected pay offered.

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2013.

Called by a recruiter who saw resume on Monster. Asked a few questions on resume, few technical questions, and asked what I was looking for (typical HR screening). Then spoke with Regional Manager for follow-up, more on experiences and accomplishment. Detailed interview with business metrics/mentality for aknowledge base. Highly interested in ways to better company culture (staffing/retention) and ways to increase sales. Then follow-up interviews with HR manager and LP. Finally flew out to area hub for interview panel of GVP and regional manager. Offer made same day.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail your biggest strength and weakness and how your overcoming it.   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your approach to Loss Prevention in a retail store.   Answer Question
    • Using your past experiences, how would you adapt to FD culture?   Answer Question
    Comprehensive package including full RELO w/lump sum payment included. Negotiated on start date only due to move.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

The company policy seems to be to let the candidate wait it out. From my initial interview to my phone interview acceptance took over 30days. Now that I am in position, I understand this is another way to save payroll..

I knew the store sales and stated my salary request. I came in a tad bit low, so I gave the DM no room to wiggle.