Family Dollar Stores

171 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – The company policy seems to be to let the candidate wait it out. From my initial interview to my phone interview acceptance took over 30days. Now that I am in position, I understand this is another way to save payroll..

Negotiation Details – I knew the store sales and stated my salary request. I came in a tad bit low, so I gave the DM no room to wiggle.

Richmond, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online and went in during open house. The interview was very easy and the questions were not hard. The DM stated 'I could start as a store manager'' she would pull my app and start the background checks. I sent her email to follow up and nothing. I called the DM and she set up an interview with a store manager and that was a breeze as well.

Interview Question – How would you deal an unruly customer?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I did not feel comfortable with the reply process and by the time, they go back to me I had two other offers, both with more money.

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Senior Network Engineer
Matthews, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from their corporate recruiter after applying online. She was very pointed and asked several questions, fairly thorough. Mostly about whether I had visited one of their stores, what I was looking for in my next position, what my salary requirements were, etc.

After passing the initial phone screen, I was granted a "technical" interview with one of their engineers. It was fairly simple, just a combing over for half an hour through my resume to determine if I was completely full of it. The interviewer was extremely talkative so it didn't end up amounting to a very thorough screening, but nonetheless I passed.

They flew me out to Charlotte and put me up in a hotel near Matthews, NC where their HQ is. I also received a rental car. It was a bit late by the time I got in, probably midnight, and I had to be in for the interviews at 8 am. Fun.

Upon arrival, I met the recruiter, and was placed in a room for the interviews. The first interview was fairly simple, mostly just a recital of my resume and an interview for culture fit. After that, there were two technical interviews. The first of which being easier, conducted with one of their Sr. Engineers. The questions were somewhat mid Network Engineer level, with questions about specific points on my resume. There was a fair amount of discussion about Type A personalities (something I should have apparently done some reading on prior to the interview, because it held weight with multiple members of their staff), where most of the current networking staff is Type A and therefore something they are looking for in a candidate.

The second technical interview was quite difficult. They clearly had reviewed my resume and tried to find areas that I was potentially weak and probed questions about those topics. The position is primarily a route/switch/F5/security position. Quite a few questions about F5/Firewalls/Security.

The last several interviews were with the Network managers and IT management. Very nice guys and former engineers. Mostly a cultural interview with questions about whether I was prepared to work on a network that would leave me responsible for a Fortune 500 company, with a couple of hours downtime leading in excess of $1M loss.

They joined me for lunch and paid. Then I was off.

Interview Question – Describe the SSL communications between a server and a host's web browser.

Name 3 different load balancing methods on an F5 load balancer virtual server.

Are you a type A personality?

Do you have any experience with BGP?

Draw out a L3 network diagram of your current works' network (focused on OSPF).

Why do you use OSPF and not EIGRP?

Describe the technical differences between TACACS+ and RADIUS.

There was also quite a bit of discussion about BYOD & IPv6.
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – first put in app and if store really needs you expect a call within 3 days,then 1 on 1 interview if your hired then u have to finish the app on computer at store, then do tests on computer at store then your ready to go.

Interview Question – when ask a question be calm about answering and look eye to eye different mngr ask different questions but expect the unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – always start the bar high when it comes to pay never accept below minimum wage but dont push it either.

Replenishment Buyer Interview

Replenishment Buyer
Matthews, NC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Found job from university career services posting, submitted resume, and was emailed to set up phone screening. Phone screening was very basic/easy behavioral. At the end of the phone interview she invited me to the next round at the corporate office. Before the on-site day, I had to take a lengthy personality test and complete paperwork, Then they scheduled an on-site day which consisted of 4, 30-min interviews with a total of 11 people and a case study. Not as daunting as it sounds. The case study was first.. very basic retail math like what is 15% off of $25. The last problem took the most time. They gave a small sample of sales/inventory data and you to allocate a limited amount of products to different stores, then explain your logic. All the interviewers asked the same questions which made it easier. Run through your resume, talk about analytical work, team work, all basic interview stuff.

Interview Question – What is an area your previous employer would say you could improve in?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2013.

Interview Details – I went online to apply. I was called in and interviewed by the store manager. The store was clean and the employees were friendly. I received a call back saying that I had to meet with the AOM of the store for a second interview. I arrived and met with the AOM in the office and was pleased with the interview and was told I had the job that day in a matter of minutes.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question for me was about my children, I was asked how many and how old they were. I suppose usually that I wouldn't have answered that question, but because I was comfortable with the interviewer and the fact that I was sure about receiving the position.   Answer Question

Replenishment Buyer Interview

Replenishment Buyer
Matthews, NC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview was the first part of the process. Easy behavioral types of questions done by the recruiter. After the phone screening you will be prompted to go in for an in person interview. Before the interview you take a case study which is basic inventory questions. The interview is 2.5 hours long with about 10 different employees interviewing you in a panel interview. The 10 people were split up into groups of 2 to 3 and asked the same questions behavioral/ analytical scenarios. The questions asked were not hard. However, the interviewers, current employees in the position, were very unfriendly and condescending during the interview. The most negative interview I have ever experienced due to the interviewers and their behavior. They acted as if they were God's gift to the world and their job was superior to everyone elses. I would never recommend this company or at least this concentrated area to anyone.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to use data analytically?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – You receive a phone cal and pay is discussed then setup initial interview. Then you will receive a call to interview with district manager. The DM will send you for drug test, then they will arrange for your to start training when the drug test comes back. These are very easy interviews

Interview Question – Did not receive any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Stedman, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2012.

Interview Details – Easy and very short just had to take a test and pass and i had the job plus i already had exp.
under me which made it a faster process but over all it was a very easy short hiring and interview process

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected questions it was very easy and short process   Answer Question

Easy Interview Process Interview

Easy Interview Process
Dawson, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in May 2010.

Interview Details – I just had to pass the drug test.

Interview Question – Honestly, there was no interview process   Answer Question