Family Dollar Stores

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.0

Temporary Customer Service Interview

The interview was pretty standard. I got questions like "Tell me about yourself" and "Tell me about a time you had bad customer service" and "Why would you be an asset to the company" and I was asked about my availability. Easy stuff.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2013.

Applied online. Had to take a questionnaire that was a bit lengthy. Got a call a few days later asking if I wanted to come in for an interview the next day. I did. Very basic interview, no trick questions. Will ask you why you left your lost job if you did quit, just say it was for personal reasons if you left it because it was a bad job. Asked me if I live close enough to make it to work on time without hassles. Took a drug test right there in the store with some instant drug testing thing. Offered a starting wage of 7.45/hr, accepted, and I will start working immediately after they get my background check results in. I got along well with my interviewer and am overall looking forward to my new job.

Interview Questions
    7.45/hr, no negotiating the wage.

First Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2013.

The interview was friendly and easy going. Laid-back atmosphere. The manager was nice and had a good sense of humor. There was no negotiation on the pay rate, it was entered into the system on the lower end of the scale. The scale was anywhere from 8.00 to 9.00, starting pay.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't one. After I was offered the position, the manager just put in a pay rate. There was no negotiation not discussion about pay rate. The pay rate was just entered and that was it.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2013.

submitted an online app, which is not tied to the store managers hiring process. can only apply in person. i handed my resume to the manager , made an impression, was given an interview on the spot, and hired a few days later. the questions are basic, mostly moral questions with some problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • describe why youre interested/ right for the position   View Answer
    pay is non negotiable- its always trash barely minimum wage even for management. do not recommend this job, even if it is very easy to get.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elm Grove, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elm Grove, WV

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2013.

I was an Inventory Manager for the company that did inventories for family dollar. At one of the inventories, the DM approached me about the job. I went in to an interview with her and then filled out the online application.

Interview Questions
    • Tough to answer this cause I was approached and stolen from WIS so my interview was very easy   Answer Question
    pay started at 975.00 for 52 hours. I thought that was good money so no negotiation. They tell you 52 hours but I promise you will never see it!

Store Manager Interview

One interview with District Manager, hired me same day.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2013.

I applied on-line, had an interview two days later. I met with a store manager who had not seemed to have ever done an interview. I am a very seasoned store manager, so I just started stating questions and answering them.. He loosened up and said he sure could use my help, but I was so qualified that I would get a store manager position instead of an assistant. He also offered information about a store manager who was recently punched in the face by a customer and wanted to be demoted. The next day he called and I was scheduled to meet the DM the following day. She was 40 MINUTES LATE!!!!! When she finally got there I had to leave to go to my current place of employment. She asked me to stay 5 more minutes and she told me another person would call me. Oh, she also said "We just need someone who can work 70 hours a week for a couple months and then go to normal hours once things are under control". The following week another person (title unknown) called and did a phone interview and said how perfect I would be and the DM would call me really soon. She did and left a message about a drug test and some other rambling. I called her back and then her cell phone hung up on me and she called back and it happened again and again. I said screw it and waited a couple hours and left her a message. No call back. Two days later I left another message, no call back. Finally I called the second person who interviewed me and told him I wasn't getting a response from the DM he said he'd look into it and call me back. Three days later, no call from either of them and I have come to my senses about this piece of dirt company. Obviously they changed their mind or something, but seriously how rude! Plus I went to the store two more times and every time it is like a flash rob scene. Like other interviewees I also got the shpeel about extensive internal theft.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anson, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2013.

You are given a background check and drug test in the store immediately following interview if management wants to hire you. If you want to be hire no matter what, you must put on application that you are available every single day and schedule, even though you are going to be hired part time.

Interview Questions
    Hourly rate is not negotiable.

Assistant Manager Interview

I went online to apply. I was called in and interviewed by the store manager. The store was clean and the employees were friendly. I received a call back saying that I had to meet with the AOM of the store for a second interview. I arrived and met with the AOM in the office and was pleased with the interview and was told I had the job that day in a matter of minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question for me was about my children, I was asked how many and how old they were. I suppose usually that I wouldn't have answered that question, but because I was comfortable with the interviewer and the fact that I was sure about receiving the position.   Answer Question

Retail Store Performance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2012.

I was called to set up a time for an interview after posting an application with resume online. I arrived 15 minutes early to a local store and was told to go to the back and wait for my turn. After having a seat I was able to listen in on the interview taking place. The person before me was asked if he understood that the interview was for a STORE MANAGER position and not the listed position he had applied for. He then said that the listed position was why he came in and would think about it. The previous applicant looked at me as he was leaving and said "good luck" while smiling. I knew then this was a bait and switch interview. My fears were proven true when I heard about how they were wanting people to come in as a store manager to prove your abilities. I explained that the posting was not for that and after hearing the minimum hours expected of a store manager was 52 but most weeks would run 70-80, the interview was just a formality. Then they explained the company's current mode of cutting payroll to allow the manager to work ALONE for 3-4 hours sometimes while keeping the store looking good and taking care of customers. They want you to work for what equates to cashier pay per hour is what I took away from it and it was a waste of time for both parties because I would never work alone in their robbery prone stores. I did talk with other current management and they said they were leaving as soon as another opportunity presented itself. The pay pulled them in but it wasn't worth it when you work 80 hours each week. Oh and one more thing, if you believe that trusting your employees is important then don't bother applying here. They stated about five times most theft is internal. That sounds like a company which will not trust its own employees. Who would want to work at a place that doesn't believe customers will steal more than employees? Don't bother applying here its a waste of time unless you have no family and don't celebrate any holidays. They are now open on Christmas day, enough said!

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. It was mostly a download session about internal shrink and long hours of work with little help.   View Answer

They wanted to move forward with the interview process but I declined after talking with other managers and deciding my family was more important than working 60-80 hours weekly.