Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.0

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2013.

I went online to apply. I was called in and interviewed by the store manager. The store was clean and the employees were friendly. I received a call back saying that I had to meet with the AOM of the store for a second interview. I arrived and met with the AOM in the office and was pleased with the interview and was told I had the job that day in a matter of minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question for me was about my children, I was asked how many and how old they were. I suppose usually that I wouldn't have answered that question, but because I was comfortable with the interviewer and the fact that I was sure about receiving the position.   Answer Question

Retail Store Performance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2012.

I was called to set up a time for an interview after posting an application with resume online. I arrived 15 minutes early to a local store and was told to go to the back and wait for my turn. After having a seat I was able to listen in on the interview taking place. The person before me was asked if he understood that the interview was for a STORE MANAGER position and not the listed position he had applied for. He then said that the listed position was why he came in and would think about it. The previous applicant looked at me as he was leaving and said "good luck" while smiling. I knew then this was a bait and switch interview. My fears were proven true when I heard about how they were wanting people to come in as a store manager to prove your abilities. I explained that the posting was not for that and after hearing the minimum hours expected of a store manager was 52 but most weeks would run 70-80, the interview was just a formality. Then they explained the company's current mode of cutting payroll to allow the manager to work ALONE for 3-4 hours sometimes while keeping the store looking good and taking care of customers. They want you to work for what equates to cashier pay per hour is what I took away from it and it was a waste of time for both parties because I would never work alone in their robbery prone stores. I did talk with other current management and they said they were leaving as soon as another opportunity presented itself. The pay pulled them in but it wasn't worth it when you work 80 hours each week. Oh and one more thing, if you believe that trusting your employees is important then don't bother applying here. They stated about five times most theft is internal. That sounds like a company which will not trust its own employees. Who would want to work at a place that doesn't believe customers will steal more than employees? Don't bother applying here its a waste of time unless you have no family and don't celebrate any holidays. They are now open on Christmas day, enough said!

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. It was mostly a download session about internal shrink and long hours of work with little help.   View Answer

They wanted to move forward with the interview process but I declined after talking with other managers and deciding my family was more important than working 60-80 hours weekly.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harvey, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harvey, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2012.

I went through 3 interviews, with 3 different managers at 3 different stores. The interviews were easy, not many questions, it was more of them telling you what they expect. I can promise by the 3rd interview I knew exactly what they expected. Anywho, I'd been passed around by the DM and it was definitely a process, but the deal is sealed. I only have some paperwork to do and transfer from the store I intentionally was supposed to work...

Interview Questions
    • What can you do to help me at this store?   View Answer
    Pay rate. As I was making 12.50 at my old job I was told to take no less than 10

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beulaville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beulaville, NC

DM phone call, quick, simple, easy

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

I interviewed with a DM and a Recruiter. The recruiter basically yelled at me all duing the interview over my experience in my previous position. I left the interview dazed and confused.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "Why did you have a high turn over rate?"   View Answer

The interview process was more like being scolded by an upset parent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bentonville, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bentonville, AR

interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

I saw an ad online (later posted on the store window). I was hoping to get into FD and quickly work my way into a growing company and becoming a DM. But after months of trying to get any feedback at all, I gave up. The store positions are still open. Employees are very discouraged.

Interview Questions
    • Never encountered that since I could never get an interview.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keenesburg, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keenesburg, CO

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2012.

Hiring was a breaz, just stay calm and pretty much anyone can get a job. Not always a good thing.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Online application, several questions, most of them redundant. There are several parts to do with taxes and harassment. Several parts to do with payment methods. It took a long time to be processed and it was not worth my time. It was very unprofessional and they were all uncaring about my understanding of the work to be asked of me. I did not stay employed here longer than one day, the manager was not even supposed to hire the mass of people that were hired.

Very unprofessional and trivial. Process took way longer than it needed to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2012.

Online application lengthy and includes quizzes and questionnaires. The interview was conducted by a hiring manager from a corporate office in another states.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions unless you don't do well with math.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Lengthy online application/ test. Received phone call to set up interview next day. The interviewer was polite. I was very surprised there were so many interview questions. The job has too many things going on and responsibility for such a low wage -8.25.(with 10yrs experience) I may take it at 9 but I want to warn others this position seems to be cashier, un-loader, stocker. I went to review job descrip. again and even though it states full time on website, it is any scheduled hours to "fill in". NO breaks or lunch 5-9 hours shifts!!* http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

The location also just recently had a robbery(info. not disclosed but found out myself )
     The cashier was not coming back.(probably fired as other reviews state).

If i receive a call back, I don't know if I will take it. No job security LITERALLY!
    By the time I pay for gas,food,uniform I won't have anything left. Especially with such little hours. I cant sneak to eat. I have to eat,drink,bathroom break. This is slave labor. The company needs to revise their pay schedules and put a cap so everyone is paid fairly. Try fixing up the stores a little too for both shopper and employee.

*********Remember all potential/current employees are customers at some point and need to be respected.

Interview Questions
    • (not hard) but Many interview questions I couldn't remember them all:
      how did u go above and beyond to help a customer
      how did u handle a rude customer
      what happened to you receiving bad customer service
      have you had a problem with management
      why i wanted to work there
        Answer Question

I have not received an answer yet but I was honest and feel it was not fully reciprocated. I don't think I will accept. Slight chance if offered higher wage.