Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.0

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview

Was very easy and laid back, asked basic questions about shrink and managing others. Nothing someone with a little experience couldn't handle. Be sure when answering questions about shrink, to stand firm on giving no one a break. To them there is never an acceptable reason to steal.

Interview Questions

• They were all easy questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

Started at ten for the time being, Until fully trained then will be given salary and promoted to store manager

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Visalia, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Visalia, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I came in 15 minutes early and after about 5 minutes the manager finally shook my hand and took me to the interview room. He seemed a bit preoccupied since only 2 people work in the store at a time. The interview went great, although the interviewer was hard to understand on occasion. He asked me tons of questions that weren't even on the question sheet. It was like having a conversation with your friend. We talked about both liking art and tons of tangents. My interview went so well (i thought), it extended into someone else's interview time slot. The manager told me he had more interviews, but would be calling me in for a second interview the next day. I shook his hand and we walked out then he greeted the other interviewee. I waited and never got a call back. Called back for follow up a week or so later and he said they were still determining the position.

Interview Questions

• He asked me about certain things I knew how to do, like set up displays and displaying merchandise, but used technical terms I didn't understand. Once they were defined I told him I could do all the tasks asked. Why do you want to work for family dollar?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Silver Spring, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

Short and not very professional, the interview was held in the back of the store in their tiny little office, which was crowded and dirty. They weren't too organized and it took over two months to actually get hired and to start working.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What's your salary requirements? Asking questions on problem solving with customers and coworkers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation was needed, they already have a circle of hourly starting pay in mind, that was $10.00 to 12.00 per hour to start. They also have no pay increases in place. Everything is contingent on the store and how much money it makes, and also the inventory plays a large part in possibly getting a raise. Their is a lot of theft in Family Dollar, but they didn't really seem to care much about that, just the bottom pay line. This is not a company that I would ever recommend to work at, unless your a young person of the age of 21 or younger!

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Huffman, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

Stire manager called and left a voicemail on Thursday. Interview wasnt scheduled until the following Tuesday. The interview was short, 15 minutes, and the questions were basic. I applied for assistant store manager, and was only given the cashier position.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to sell something? How did you push the sale?   Answer Question
    • Would you be against unloading a truck and working every Wednesday on truck days?   Answer Question
    • Why did you leave your last job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Coming in to do paperwork, I discovered that even though I have 9 years of retail and sales experience and 2 years managerial experience, I was t being considered for the open Assistant Manager position. I was being hired as a cashier. And taking into consideration my experience, the store manager said "the highest she could.offer me is $7.70 an hour". How laughable. Then she hired the daughter of another family dollar store manager in our district, started her as an assistant store manager, though she's only worked in the food industry (as a server and expeditor) and had a negligible amount of retail or grocery experience.

Set Up Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenandoah, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Shenandoah, PA) in July 2014.

Interview

one interview hired for new store setup did not realize we would have to unload a 50 ft trailer full of shelving, racks, and very heavy items, warm water at break, very hard for any women, believe it should be a man's job or a professional setup crew, I expected to just stock the shelves not all of this

Interview Questions

Negotiation

$8 an hour

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview

It was a short 5-10 minute interview. Basic "tell me about a time when" type questions. Nothing unexpected, just straight to the point. Friendly easy going atmosphere with just the Manager.

Temp Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coldspring, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Coldspring, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

went extremely well, asked questions, why do I want to work for Family Dollar, What kind of experience do you have? Would you be willing to move up, if there is a opening?

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Lafayette, LA) in June 2014.

Interview

it was not professional the manager just called me in and asked how many kids did I have and have I ever worked in this type of business before and I told him yes that I worked at the dollar general and then he looked over my resume and asked me when I could go take a drug screening and gave me the paper and then three days later he called me back and said I was hired

Interview Questions

• did I have reliable transportation   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I was hired the moment I walked in. Some strange upheaval had occurred. I had on a red shirt and was offered the job. Was told it was 8.50 and hour. No room for negotiation. Even asked about pay for experience and was told 8.50.

Interview Questions

• After I informed them I would have to give my former employer two weeks notice, I was asked what days off I had for the next two weeks, so I could start immediately.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in May 2014.

Interview

There really wasn't much of an interview. I arrived to the store and the manager asked a few questions regarding my age and my previous work history. After that I was instructed to take a drug test. After completion of the drug test I was added to the system and instructed to finish the hiring process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phrase.