Family Dollar Stores
www.familydollar.com Matthews, NC 5000+ Employees

Family Dollar Stores Retail Store Performance Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Retail Store Performance Manager Interview

Retail Store Performance Manager
Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was called to set up a time for an interview after posting an application with resume online. I arrived 15 minutes early to a local store and was told to go to the back and wait for my turn. After having a seat I was able to listen in on the interview taking place. The person before me was asked if he understood that the interview was for a STORE MANAGER position and not the listed position he had applied for. He then said that the listed position was why he came in and would think about it. The previous applicant looked at me as he was leaving and said "good luck" while smiling. I knew then this was a bait and switch interview. My fears were proven true when I heard about how they were wanting people to come in as a store manager to prove your abilities. I explained that the posting was not for that and after hearing the minimum hours expected of a store manager was 52 but most weeks would run 70-80, the interview was just a formality. Then they explained the company's current mode of cutting payroll to allow the manager to work ALONE for 3-4 hours sometimes while keeping the store looking good and taking care of customers. They want you to work for what equates to cashier pay per hour is what I took away from it and it was a waste of time for both parties because I would never work alone in their robbery prone stores. I did talk with other current management and they said they were leaving as soon as another opportunity presented itself. The pay pulled them in but it wasn't worth it when you work 80 hours each week. Oh and one more thing, if you believe that trusting your employees is important then don't bother applying here. They stated about five times most theft is internal. That sounds like a company which will not trust its own employees. Who would want to work at a place that doesn't believe customers will steal more than employees? Don't bother applying here its a waste of time unless you have no family and don't celebrate any holidays. They are now open on Christmas day, enough said!

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. It was mostly a download session about internal shrink and long hours of work with little help.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They wanted to move forward with the interview process but I declined after talking with other managers and deciding my family was more important than working 60-80 hours weekly.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores Retail Store Performance Manager interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees and interview candidates.