Family Dollar Stores

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Late arrival as a manger....no organization...rude employees, slowfulness...questions he asked pertained more to personal inquiries than work.

Interview Question – do I think I will be a good employee   View Answer

Reason for Declining – there was no interest

Beulaville, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in December 2012.

Interview Details – DM phone call, quick, simple, easy

Interview Question – When will I start work   View Answer

Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Had to take a questionnaire that was a bit lengthy. Got a call a few days later asking if I wanted to come in for an interview the next day. I did. Very basic interview, no trick questions. Will ask you why you left your lost job if you did quit, just say it was for personal reasons if you left it because it was a bad job. Asked me if I live close enough to make it to work on time without hassles. Took a drug test right there in the store with some instant drug testing thing. Offered a starting wage of 7.45/hr, accepted, and I will start working immediately after they get my background check results in. I got along well with my interviewer and am overall looking forward to my new job.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 7.45/hr, no negotiating the wage.

Savannah, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Online application, several questions, most of them redundant. There are several parts to do with taxes and harassment. Several parts to do with payment methods. It took a long time to be processed and it was not worth my time. It was very unprofessional and they were all uncaring about my understanding of the work to be asked of me. I did not stay employed here longer than one day, the manager was not even supposed to hire the mass of people that were hired.

Negotiation Details – Very unprofessional and trivial. Process took way longer than it needed to.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call from a store asking me if I could just work weekends and although I preffered to work more hours I said yes. The manager than told me that he was still reveiwing applications and just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page and hung up. A week later got a phone call from another store asking me to come in for an interview that afternoon. I came in asked one of the associates for the manager and she brought him to me. He than shook my hand and invited me into his office. He asked very few questions., in fact i asked most of the questions during the interview. THe manager than thanked me for my time and told me that I would have a second interview. Too bad i didnt read this site first. If i had i would have known that their Family Dollar does not do second interviews. I followed up three times and each time the manager told me he had not spoken to the manager who was supposed to do my secondin interview. However after the third I kinda figured he had no intention of hiring me. Which was fine. IM a hard worker, I love working in retail ( a rarity ) and intend to make a career out of it. So it was his loss not mine. Found a better job elsewhere making way more than minimum wage he was going to offer me.

Interview Questions

New Orleans, LA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was for a position at the store nearest to my home but I was asked if i could work at a new location that just reopened that just so happen to be near my child's school. The interview was very brief and only basic questions and answers. The drug test was what took the longest to come back and some paper work took a while but I was hired with minor bumps.

Interview Question – Are you a detailed worker?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate some but I feel that I was wronged in the end. But I just that my personal experience.

North Little Rock, AR

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details – Asked a couple questions, drug test, new hire paperwork.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation where you saw someone shoplifting?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out an online application and was called within a few days to go to an interview the next evening. After I arrived, they had me take a drug test and then told me they really liked my application and wanted to hire me, but there was a conflict with the availability I mentioned in my application. I work another job with set hours that never change so I told them I wouldn't be able to take the job.

Interview Question – Are your hours flexible?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Scheduling conflicts that they could have mentioned ahead of time

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!