Family Dollar Stores

Average Difficulty
38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2010.

Interview Details – A joke, departing manager was fired for stealing

Negotiation Details – There was none, flat offer, take it or leave it

Springfield, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in September 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews 2 with a store manager that was more professional than the one interview with district manager there hiring is a joe anybody that is willing to work and can pass the backround check can have a job

Interview Question – did not ask a difficult question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – dont work for them

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an immediate response. Family Dollar stores in urban areas are meat markets and are constantly burning through managers. Contact was made by DM and interview was set up. Basic questions about management experience and willingness to do a "dirty job". Essentially, if you have a heartbeat, they tend to have you take your drug test right there. They are so cheap, the DM administers drug tests right there. After a background check, an offer is made.

Interview Question – Can you pee into this cup?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't much room for negotiation. Family Dollar has pay rates assigned to each specific store. Even if you manage to get a little more money out of them, they will remove it from the payroll in your store. You'll have less hours for employees, so you will work more. Hence your extra $2000 a year actually ends up as an hourly pay cut

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the district manager on the phone within one week of applying to the company and had a live interview within a week later. The interview went well. I was happy with the results. I saw that the company had good benefits and the pay was what I asked for, so we set up a start date.

Negotiation Details – I asked for the salary I made at my previous job and was granted that salary. I left happy and the Intervewier was happy.

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process was rushed because of the urgent need for the position to be filled. Training was done by assistant manager who was not trained neither. Minimum hours to work is 52+ hours, but expected to put in 60+ with on day off a week and fill in for sick employees.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Ontario, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process is similar to most companies, one on one with the district manager for store manager. Most of the time you will get an offer after interview if they are interested. Or you may be asked to come back for a 2nd interview.

Negotiation Details – Best to have a set number that you want, I negotiated with each position I have held with this company and received a better offer each time. You just need to sell yourself and convince them you are worth their investment.

Elm Grove, WV

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was an Inventory Manager for the company that did inventories for family dollar. At one of the inventories, the DM approached me about the job. I went in to an interview with her and then filled out the online application.

Interview Question – Tough to answer this cause I was approached and stolen from WIS so my interview was very easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – pay started at 975.00 for 52 hours. I thought that was good money so no negotiation. They tell you 52 hours but I promise you will never see it!

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details – First interview, over the phone. Second is "interview day" at a store. Theft is a high concern at Family Dollar, they don't hire security so be educated on shrinkage and how you handle theft from customers and employees. Be prepared that you personally will haul all garbage to dumpsters, eliminates theft out the back door. Unload U-boats in 20 minutes. Know how to do resets of merchandise.

Interview Question – A lot of questions regarding theft and your character. There is not one good reason that a person leaves the store without paying. Even if they are being hauled away in an ambulance, such as a Coke for low blood sugar.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate to a higher wage, 2,000.00 less than the highest paid because of my experience and they put me in a large store with high shrinkage. And probably because they knew I'd work as many hours as it took until the job was done to a high standard.

Elizabethtown, KY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in February 2011.

Interview Details – Fill out a long app. Store manager interviews you, Dm interviews you,

Interview Question – Mainly talked about previous experiance   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none negotiable

Evansville, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

Interview Details – My experience was a good one. The district manager was very personable. He was very thorough, showing me the store and how Family Dollar did business. I honestly had never shopped in a Family Dollar. Lots of focus on commitment to the job and theft.

Interview Question – How committed to this job are you willing to be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – He made an offer. I countered. We met in the middle.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!