Family Video

Family Video Assistant Manager Interview Questions

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

I originally applied to be part time. I applied online and was called for an interview the next day. I was in college at the time and the interview was scheduled for 5PM. I had class until 3PM and it was hour drive home so I would have enough time to change for the interview. Around 2PM the District Manager called me and asked if I could be there at 4PM as he had to leave early. I told him yes and explained that I wouldn't be able to dress up for the interview as I'd be coming right from school. He said this was alright and I went in for the interview. He asked me some questions (Why do you want to work for Family Video? Where do you see yourself in five years? Do you have a role model? What are you going to school for? etc.) I was then asked to come back the next day to take a taste. The test takes about an hour and includes seven sections (noticing mistakes, letter filing, basic math, word problems, synonyms, two document based questions and spelling). This taste is rather hard and is meant to show how people work under pressure and their ability to answer questions quickly. Two weeks later I was called and offered the job.

Interview Questions
  • The entire test. Some of the things on the math section are things that most people would not be able to do without a calculator. One of the questions asks for you to give the square root of a five digit number.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Family Video.

Be prepared to dress to impress, talk about yourself, let your personality shine. Family Video is all about customer service, so we want people who can make the customer feel welcome and appreciated. After your initial interview, there will be a 45 minute skills test, followed by a District Manager/Regional Manager interview.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about yourself. Don't mention anything negative unless you're going to end the story with something positive you got out of that experience. Keep the interview upbeat!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mooresville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mooresville, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in November 2008.

You begin by applying in store. It is possible to take a paper application or do it at home, but applicants are discouraged from doing so. You do an initial 5-10 minute brief interview with a store manager or assistant manager, and then depending on their feel for the applicant pass them through to the next part of the process: the hiring test. The test eliminates most applicants, as it is an hour-and-a-half and tests several math skills most people have not used since leaving high school. If the person scores a 70% or better on that, they are passed through to the final part of the hiring process: an interview with the district manager. In most cases, the people who have made it that far are hired as most red flags are picked up fairly early in the process, but the district manager will have the final say in the actual hiring.

Interview Questions
    • "What was a turning point in your life?"   View Answer
    Negotiation? Ha, what's that? You'll make minimum wage with a small commission or you'll be jobless.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in March 2011.

Interview lasted about 10 minutes, taking place in chairs set up by check out desk (while store was open). The interviewer was the only employee at the store at the time, so she had to keep getting up, taking care of customers etc. She only asked a few questions, mostly about my past experience. I got the feeling that her mind was made up as soon as she saw I was not a "20 something", and felt I was too old for the position.

Assistant Manager Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video in June 2008.

The interview process was pretty easy. I came in on a day where they were holding open interviews, and was offered a second round interview with the district manager. No behavioral based questions for the most part, just basic tell me about yourself type questions. I passed the interview with the DM and was then interviewed by the regional manager, which I passed as well. They love enthusiastic people who are excited about the company.