Family Video Cashier Interview Questions

Anonymous Employee in Webb City, MO
Anonymous Employee in Webb City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at Family Video in March 2013.

Arrived at interview , was asked to wait a few mintues by person at front desk , after 5 minutes , was the called to front desk , where she was going to conduct interview between customers , as she was the only one working , I would have been in the store for no longer than 15 minutes and about 80% of that she was busy with customers ... I understand she was busy but why not have someone there to run store while you did interviews .. Next interview was 15 mintues after mine ...she said she was sorry but the interview would be quick due to bad weather and everyone wanting videos , that i understand , but she was only giving herself 15 mintues per interview anyway ... would have to say it was the worst conducted interview ever

Interview Questions
  • The only question I got asked was what do I do in my spare time ?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Employee in Portage, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Portage, WI

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Family Video in November 2012.

I had filled out numerous job applications in person and never got a call back. I finally gave online applications a try with and applied through my local Family Video. I had gotten a call back just a few short days later. The store manager was very friendly over the phone and had asked why I was interested in working for their company and why I was trying to get away from the medical field like I had stated on the application. So I went in the next day for an interview, the manager was running ten minutes late so I had to sit in the parking lot and wait for him to come open the store. Then the interview lasted about ten minutes. He asked why I like movies and who is my biggest mentor and why. I had explained everything and it went as what I had considered to be a great interview even though it was in an isle in the video store. At the end of the interview, he had asked me to come in the next day to take an "easy" test. This test was not "easy" as he had called it. The test was timed, and had expected you to know outrageous math problems and different kinds of math problems. Percentages, fragtions, powers, rounding, story problems, long division, multiplicaton, subraction and addition. Not to mention there was also a reading portion where they test you on how well you comprehend a story problem as well as alphabatizing and knowing synonmys. It was a little ridiculous with the fact that it was all timed to the point where you wouldn't even have enought time to finish all the problems if you are a slower reader or a little bit slower with math. You sit right up at the front desk and take the test. I knew when I was leaving that I had failed and that you had needed a 70% to pass. I never knew you had to be a genious to work at a video store as a cashier. All I know is that, I was not suprised when the manager called and had left me a voicemail stating that I did not do well enough on the math portion to get a position with them. I personally think its a little ridiculous that they expect you to be that efficient with some of the math. I am wonderful with the public, have worked as a CNA and waitress and am great with money. However, I think they are looking for people that are just finsihing high school or are in college because I have not done that kind of math in over 7 years and everyone I had talked to even agreed they cant do those kinds of math equations without a calculator. Really expected a little more from Family Video.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your biggest mentor in life and why?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Marquette, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Marquette, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Video in September 2011.

After I applied online, I was contacted within two weeks for a preliminary interview. They start the interview process by bringing applicants in for a brief, five-minute interview. My interview was scheduled for a time when the manager running the store alone, so my interview was repeatedly interrupted by customers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video in July 2011.

The Family Video interview process is an interesting one. First, the store manager will interview you for about 10 minutes and just talk about things like why you want the job. Then they let you go. If they liked you, you will get a call to come back and complete a test which consists of math, spelling and reasoning questions. Finally, if you are over 70 percent proficient on the test you will be interviewed by the district manager.

Anonymous Employee in Wapakoneta, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Wapakoneta, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Video in May 2011.

I think that this was the biggest JOKE!!!!! I had plenty of video retail experience working for their competitors and their district manager had me come in for an interview which turned out to be a training excercise for another emplyee. After the interview i vowed that i would never set foot in another family video and never have....i hope they all close!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Willmar, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Willmar, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Family Video in May 2010.

There was an incredibly tough interview process. An initial interview with the store manager, a test that was remarkable similar to that of an ACT or SAT. IT was much more difficult than needed. And finally there was an interview with the district manager. For simply filling a summer position the interview process was pretty intense.

Interview Questions
    • Take the square root of a four digit number.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

You bring in your written application, and answer a couple questions. And then you sit a written math/ customer service exam. If you pass, you get an interview with the District Manager, who asks you about yourself and your experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have really wow-ed a customer.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Family Video.

I was called two days after putting in my application. Needless to say, the whole three part interview process was awful. I passed the annoying test they gave me and they never called me. Totally not worth it.

Cashier Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Video in January 2012.

I applied online in December and got a call a month later. I met the Manager and we sat on those 'hollywood chairs' in the aisle. The District Manager was also there, and he sat on the ground, they were both SUPER nice. It was a conversation-like interview, with a bunch of random things and questions that seemed to be made up on the spot basically to see if you could keep up an interesting conversation. It lasted about 15 to 20 minutes. By the end, they said they definitely wanted to see me again and we scheduled me to take a test the next day. The test consisted of about 9 sections about basic math: multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, spelling, finding the number of mistakes, synonyms, word problems, reading comprehension, and more math stuff. You were given about 1 minute to 7 minutes or so for each specific section. It was semi-hard. You should probably work on percentage and interest word problems. You have to work REALLY fast. It took around an hour to finish. After that you leave. Once they grade it and you pass with a 70 and they'll call you to schedule an interview with the District Manager. I'm waiting for that call (: