Family Video

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative

I applied in-person and interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Interview, super ridiculous test, and then another interview.....all on different days. Then wait 2 weeks to find out if you are hired, call them yourself to see if you are hired, find out you are hired and they want you, but not till next week, train for 4 hours, they forget you exists for a couple weeks and you forget what u learned, come back in after they finally call you, get treated like crap by manager and other employee........terrible experience, cannot wait for my next shift :( and all this for a minimum wage job.

Interview Question – No difficult questions during interview but be aware they are looking for personality, not movie buffs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.....you get what you get

Youngstown, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in June 2014.

Interview Details – My first interview was at the front checkout desk, was very simple and easy. I was invited to take a "test" that was said to contain some math. When I arrived to take the test I was sat down in the open amongst the customers browsing and was timed for each section about 4-5 minutes. Most of the questions on the test are not overtly difficult but virtually needless in comparison to the needed so-called skill set to checkout videos. I passed the test and was offered a 2nd interview which I thought was tentative to being hired. The interview was given out in front of the store, which is a strange venue to say the least to conduct any interview. It went well, the majority of the subject matter was based on my experiences and what I thought about family video and why I would like to work there. The process in general was pretty unprofessional which is ironic because of the test involved. I awaited for a call for a week and contacted the store myself. Was told ,'you were not mentioned to me, so he must be persuing another candidate..." I have an Associates degree in IT, I'm working on my business management degree and I'm very outgoing and personable. I was a referral also so... If I can't land the job, what the hell do they want? Come on...

Interview Question – Why do you think you want to work for Family Video?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in February 2014.

Interview Details – I initially applied online. They called me about a week later to schedule an interview. When I arrived for my interview the manager wasn't there, she either forgot about it or didn't care (didn't leave me with a good first impression either way). Fortunately, the district manager was in the store at the time so I was able to continue with her instead (normally you would interview first with the store manager and then with the district manager, I just got to skip the first interview). She asked basic questions about why I wanted to work there, about myself personally, past work experience, my education...the questions you would expect to be asked. It was very informal and probably only lasted 10 minutes at most. Just be sure to be outgoing, friendly, and smile a lot!

She then asked me to come back a few days later to take a skills test. There were around 10 timed sections that covered a range of topics - math, alphabetizing, number "puzzles", spelling, reading comprehension, etc. Each section had some difficult questions that I don't think they expect you to get right (square root of a 5 digit number for example), but overall it isn't an impossible test to pass. However, a large portion of the questions had nothing to do with anything you would encounter working at a video store. The assistant manager graded it in a couple minutes, told me I passed (at least 70% to pass), and hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – What is the square root of a five digit number?   View Answer

Columbus, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – After filling out an application you are scheduled to take a general knowledge test, brush up on your high school exams, then you interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – If they bring up what media you watch.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none, they told me I will work around 20 hours a week (which is really 10 or less) and felt proud that they offered more than minimum wage ($8, I'm rich)

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the store manager and the district manager and a math test in between the two interviews

Interview Question – Your biggest role model?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online via the site directly (they were not advertising that they were hiring) and received a call within a day or two! The initial interview was with the Store Manager in the Game Room of the store. She asked me only a handful of questions like "Tell me about yourself.", "What do you do in your free time?" and your answers kind of direct what they ask next. The first interview was all based on character. At the end of the interview, the store manager immediately scheduled me for a Pre-Employment test the following day. This test is honestly fairly difficult!! It consisted of somewhere around 8 parts and dealt with math, story problems, spelling, alphabetizing, catching errors in number and letter strings and speed. Each section of the test is timed. If you pass this test, you will get a call within a day or two and will be scheduled to meet with the District Manager in the store with another manager also (for me it was the same manager that administered my test). This interview is similar but you obviously need to win over the DM as he makes all final decisions. I was told I would know after two days but did not receive a call, so I called the Store Manager and told her I was just following up on the status of my interviews and she called the DM and returned my call with a job offer that day.

Interview Question – Most all questions are based on character, customer service experience or skills, and how you would deal with customers. The company is very customer service oriented and is looking for social, positive and independent people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate as I needed a job regardless. However, the DM gave me several opportunites to ask and I think they are willing to negotiate to some extent.

Interviewed at Family Video

Interview Details – THey have a test to take that 90% of people will fail.

Interview Question – Easy interview   Answer Question

Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in September 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application the day after I turned 18. 3 weeks later, they called me back and I went to a group interview. The group interview had 2 questions and was basically to see personalities. The two questions were "why family video?" and "what do you do in your spare time?" Then, I was called back for a one-on-one with the manager, in which she asked me several questions, like "Give me three words to describe yourself." and easy things like that. My interview with her was an easygoing conversation, after that I met with my district manager who asked about my biggest personal and professional successes and prior work experience/volunteer work. Overall, it took me a month after the initial interview to get hired.

Interview Question – At the time, I had no work experience and very little volunteer experience in high school, and the district manager really wanted someone with experience. He really kept asking about my volunteer work and expected me to stretch it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not have to negotiate. At that time, the company was still giving people fair wages and commission.

Customer Service Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in July 2013.

Interview Details – If Family Video receives a good application, the manager or assistant manager will call to set up a first interview. If that goes well, they will schedule a timed test that includes reading, grammar, spelling, and math questions. If able to pass, one will have a final interview with the district manager. If then offered a position, one will have a thirty day trial period, after which there is an evaluation by the district manager to decide to keep said employee.

Interview Question – Applicants seem to have the most difficulty with passing the timed reading/math test. Passing for part-time positions is 65% and it is 75% for management positions.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – After submitting my application I waited a day or so for a call back to schedule an in person interview. The man I interviewed with was wonderful and offered to let me take the asessment. I passed the test and they let me know they would call me to set up an interview with the district manager. My interview with him was a few days later and was very laid back as well. This company seems to want to get to know you as a person more than a resume.

Interview Question – The entire written portion of the interview was very difficult. I didn't think I had passed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Video

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Video Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Video employees and interview candidates.