Family Video

Getting the Interview

21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Columbus, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – After filling out an application you are scheduled to take a general knowledge test, brush up on your high school exams, then you interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – If they bring up what media you watch.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none, they told me I will work around 20 hours a week (which is really 10 or less) and felt proud that they offered more than minimum wage ($8, I'm rich)

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the store manager and the district manager and a math test in between the two interviews

Interview Question – Your biggest role model?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online via the site directly (they were not advertising that they were hiring) and received a call within a day or two! The initial interview was with the Store Manager in the Game Room of the store. She asked me only a handful of questions like "Tell me about yourself.", "What do you do in your free time?" and your answers kind of direct what they ask next. The first interview was all based on character. At the end of the interview, the store manager immediately scheduled me for a Pre-Employment test the following day. This test is honestly fairly difficult!! It consisted of somewhere around 8 parts and dealt with math, story problems, spelling, alphabetizing, catching errors in number and letter strings and speed. Each section of the test is timed. If you pass this test, you will get a call within a day or two and will be scheduled to meet with the District Manager in the store with another manager also (for me it was the same manager that administered my test). This interview is similar but you obviously need to win over the DM as he makes all final decisions. I was told I would know after two days but did not receive a call, so I called the Store Manager and told her I was just following up on the status of my interviews and she called the DM and returned my call with a job offer that day.

Interview Question – Most all questions are based on character, customer service experience or skills, and how you would deal with customers. The company is very customer service oriented and is looking for social, positive and independent people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate as I needed a job regardless. However, the DM gave me several opportunites to ask and I think they are willing to negotiate to some extent.

Interviewed at Family Video

Interview Details – THey have a test to take that 90% of people will fail.

Interview Question – Easy interview   Answer Question

Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in September 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application the day after I turned 18. 3 weeks later, they called me back and I went to a group interview. The group interview had 2 questions and was basically to see personalities. The two questions were "why family video?" and "what do you do in your spare time?" Then, I was called back for a one-on-one with the manager, in which she asked me several questions, like "Give me three words to describe yourself." and easy things like that. My interview with her was an easygoing conversation, after that I met with my district manager who asked about my biggest personal and professional successes and prior work experience/volunteer work. Overall, it took me a month after the initial interview to get hired.

Interview Question – At the time, I had no work experience and very little volunteer experience in high school, and the district manager really wanted someone with experience. He really kept asking about my volunteer work and expected me to stretch it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not have to negotiate. At that time, the company was still giving people fair wages and commission.

Customer Service Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in July 2013.

Interview Details – If Family Video receives a good application, the manager or assistant manager will call to set up a first interview. If that goes well, they will schedule a timed test that includes reading, grammar, spelling, and math questions. If able to pass, one will have a final interview with the district manager. If then offered a position, one will have a thirty day trial period, after which there is an evaluation by the district manager to decide to keep said employee.

Interview Question – Applicants seem to have the most difficulty with passing the timed reading/math test. Passing for part-time positions is 65% and it is 75% for management positions.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – After submitting my application I waited a day or so for a call back to schedule an in person interview. The man I interviewed with was wonderful and offered to let me take the asessment. I passed the test and they let me know they would call me to set up an interview with the district manager. My interview with him was a few days later and was very laid back as well. This company seems to want to get to know you as a person more than a resume.

Interview Question – The entire written portion of the interview was very difficult. I didn't think I had passed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Very Easy Interview

Springfield, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in January 2013.

Interview Details – The whole process is a joke! There are 3 phases of the interview process. You will get a call back and meet and greet the managers in a casual atmosphere. They will ask questions that have no relevance of the job or work experience such as what kind of person were you in high school? Next, they will briefly go over your resume. If the managers like your personality, you will get a call back to take an "easy" test that is timed. You take the test in a random aisle in the store while customers are shopping. They do not give you near enough time to finish any of the sections. I am a college graduate and I still could not finish all the sections. They want you to pay attention to detail, yet, they will give you 3 minutes to do 20 problems. You must get at least a 70% to be considered. Lastly, you will meet the district manager for the final phase.

Interview Question – I kid you not, you will be doing Sudoku problems (roughly 15) in a 5 minute time frame... you will not get enough time for any problems.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was completely displeased with the whole process and the test especially. The test had nothing to do with the job itself and was a complete waste of time. I was very tempted to walk out on the interview while the test was in place. They were going to pay minimum wage was the deciding factor to decline. Do not apply to this circus show!

Galloway, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Video in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by one guy and (I think) the district manager was there as well so she sat in. They were both very nice, very cool people. I was led to a corner of the store to do the interview. Thankfully it was slow at the time. He asked me to describe my family, which I did, but I think I lost him when I told him my mother had died. I tried to spin it into a silver-lining type thing (her death made me a stronger person, etc) but it was all down hill from there.

Some other questions I was asked:

What are your interests and hobbies?

If your best friend walked in right now, how would they describe you?

Name an event that unexpectedly changed your life for the better. Who is your hero or mentor?

Who is your hero or mentor?

Where do you see your self in five years?

I was told they were "a tight-nit team and I wouldn't be a good fit." and that I was " little too socially awkward and they needed someone more outgoing. A risk-taker." He wasn't confident I would be able to handle customers and the inventory. No sugar-coating there. I'm thankful they were upfront about me not getting the job and that they didn't drag me along, but they could have been a little less blunt about why.

Interview Questions

• Name an event that unexpectedly changed your life for the better.   View Answer
  • If your best friend walked in right now, how would they describe you?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Zanesville, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Video in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call about a week later. They asked me to come in on Friday for an interview, and of course I showed up. The manager took me to one of the aisles and he asked what I thought about the current job I have and what I do there. He asked about my social life, if I had any family/friends and what I like to do. He asked about my future goals and I plan to go back to school. The conversation was very short and casual, but at no point did he ask me about skills I may have related to the job, and he told me at the end that my lack of cash register experience was a "game stopper" for me. They normally expect people with more experience, such as bank tellers, to apply. I thought it was a shame, because I could have easily learned how to operate the register (I've just never had another job where I used one before) if they just pointed out what to do. Obviously, he just didn't have any interest in training someone and/or Family Video doesn't do training in general. I've worked in other areas of customer service and I think I would have made a wonderful employee, and I would have loved working with movies and video games more than anything else.

Interview Question – I found it more unexpected that he didn't ask about anything regarding the job itself. Usually, I'm asked what skills I possess, what I'd be interested in doing/learning for the job, if I can handle such-and-such tasks, etc., but none of this ever came up.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Video

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Video Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Video employees and interview candidates.