Family Video

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.4

Customer Service Representative Interview

THey have a test to take that 90% of people will fail.

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in February 2014.

I initially applied online. They called me about a week later to schedule an interview. When I arrived for my interview the manager wasn't there, she either forgot about it or didn't care (didn't leave me with a good first impression either way). Fortunately, the district manager was in the store at the time so I was able to continue with her instead (normally you would interview first with the store manager and then with the district manager, I just got to skip the first interview). She asked basic questions about why I wanted to work there, about myself personally, past work experience, my education...the questions you would expect to be asked. It was very informal and probably only lasted 10 minutes at most. Just be sure to be outgoing, friendly, and smile a lot!

She then asked me to come back a few days later to take a skills test. There were around 10 timed sections that covered a range of topics - math, alphabetizing, number "puzzles", spelling, reading comprehension, etc. Each section had some difficult questions that I don't think they expect you to get right (square root of a 5 digit number for example), but overall it isn't an impossible test to pass. However, a large portion of the questions had nothing to do with anything you would encounter working at a video store. The assistant manager graded it in a couple minutes, told me I passed (at least 70% to pass), and hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the square root of a five digit number?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video in July 2013.

If Family Video receives a good application, the manager or assistant manager will call to set up a first interview. If that goes well, they will schedule a timed test that includes reading, grammar, spelling, and math questions. If able to pass, one will have a final interview with the district manager. If then offered a position, one will have a thirty day trial period, after which there is an evaluation by the district manager to decide to keep said employee.

Interview Questions
    • Applicants seem to have the most difficulty with passing the timed reading/math test. Passing for part-time positions is 65% and it is 75% for management positions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

After submitting my application I waited a day or so for a call back to schedule an in person interview. The man I interviewed with was wonderful and offered to let me take the asessment. I passed the test and they let me know they would call me to set up an interview with the district manager. My interview with him was a few days later and was very laid back as well. This company seems to want to get to know you as a person more than a resume.

Interview Questions
    • The entire written portion of the interview was very difficult. I didn't think I had passed.   Answer Question
    None.

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Video in January 2013.

The whole process is a joke! There are 3 phases of the interview process. You will get a call back and meet and greet the managers in a casual atmosphere. They will ask questions that have no relevance of the job or work experience such as what kind of person were you in high school? Next, they will briefly go over your resume. If the managers like your personality, you will get a call back to take an "easy" test that is timed. You take the test in a random aisle in the store while customers are shopping. They do not give you near enough time to finish any of the sections. I am a college graduate and I still could not finish all the sections. They want you to pay attention to detail, yet, they will give you 3 minutes to do 20 problems. You must get at least a 70% to be considered. Lastly, you will meet the district manager for the final phase.

Interview Questions
    • I kid you not, you will be doing Sudoku problems (roughly 15) in a 5 minute time frame... you will not get enough time for any problems.   View Answer

I was completely displeased with the whole process and the test especially. The test had nothing to do with the job itself and was a complete waste of time. I was very tempted to walk out on the interview while the test was in place. They were going to pay minimum wage was the deciding factor to decline. Do not apply to this circus show!

Anonymous Employee in Galloway, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Galloway, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Video in January 2013.

I was interviewed by one guy and (I think) the district manager was there as well so she sat in. They were both very nice, very cool people. I was led to a corner of the store to do the interview. Thankfully it was slow at the time. He asked me to describe my family, which I did, but I think I lost him when I told him my mother had died. I tried to spin it into a silver-lining type thing (her death made me a stronger person, etc) but it was all down hill from there.

Some other questions I was asked:

What are your interests and hobbies?

If your best friend walked in right now, how would they describe you?

Name an event that unexpectedly changed your life for the better. Who is your hero or mentor?

Who is your hero or mentor?

Where do you see your self in five years?

I was told they were "a tight-nit team and I wouldn't be a good fit." and that I was " little too socially awkward and they needed someone more outgoing. A risk-taker." He wasn't confident I would be able to handle customers and the inventory. No sugar-coating there. I'm thankful they were upfront about me not getting the job and that they didn't drag me along, but they could have been a little less blunt about why.

Interview Questions
    • Name an event that unexpectedly changed your life for the better.   View Answer
    • If your best friend walked in right now, how would they describe you?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Video in December 2012.

I applied online and received a call about a week later. They asked me to come in on Friday for an interview, and of course I showed up. The manager took me to one of the aisles and he asked what I thought about the current job I have and what I do there. He asked about my social life, if I had any family/friends and what I like to do. He asked about my future goals and I plan to go back to school. The conversation was very short and casual, but at no point did he ask me about skills I may have related to the job, and he told me at the end that my lack of cash register experience was a "game stopper" for me. They normally expect people with more experience, such as bank tellers, to apply. I thought it was a shame, because I could have easily learned how to operate the register (I've just never had another job where I used one before) if they just pointed out what to do. Obviously, he just didn't have any interest in training someone and/or Family Video doesn't do training in general. I've worked in other areas of customer service and I think I would have made a wonderful employee, and I would have loved working with movies and video games more than anything else.

Interview Questions
    • I found it more unexpected that he didn't ask about anything regarding the job itself. Usually, I'm asked what skills I possess, what I'd be interested in doing/learning for the job, if I can handle such-and-such tasks, etc., but none of this ever came up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ironwood, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ironwood, MI

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Video in September 2012.

I filled out an application online and got a call back in a couple days, which was very surprising as my experience with online applications has never been all that good. Store manager did a quick 5 minute interview then I had to take their comprehensive test. Honestly, the test was comperable to an ACT level evaluation, but by working quickly and strategically, I managed to pass it. Interview with the district manager followed and I was offered a position three days later. Application to official hire only took about five days!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you see yourself working at Family Video?   View Answer
    Position was part time, so there's practically no room for negotiation, but you get more benefits with promotions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video in February 2012.

I walked in to rent videos, I was friendly and enthusiastic. I asked if they were hiring, then talked with the hiring manager for a little while about a possible interview and my work experience. She agreed to give me a shot. I then came in for an entry test a few days later, I passed the entry test which allowed me to receive an interview. Then I attended the interview and did well. The General manager asked me questions about where I come from, work experience and why I should be hired. I replied with the fact that I had just moved back from Florida and am looking for a job. I love movies, always have been a huge fan of film. I have worked from Dish network as a technician to being a server at Red Lobster. I am great with people and very reliable, plus I am a diligent and dedicated worker. The general manager was a also very positive, open minded and saw me for who I was: a great addition to the company!

Interview Questions
    • Why should we choose you to work here at Family Video?   View Answer
    • What are your best qualities or strengths?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Family Video in January 2012.

Spoke with a very young individual who did not even introduce himself. Asked about my hobbies, movie & gaming preferences and strayed from my qualifications and questions concerning the job. All questions that I answered on the application were asked again as if the store manager did not bother to look at the application prior to my interview appointment. To top if off the interview was held on the sales floor amongst customers and other employees.

Interview Questions
    • What are your hobbies?   Answer Question
    • You do understand this is a business and we don't sit around and watch movies all day, don't you?   Answer Question