Family Video

2.6

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Republic, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Republic, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

For a minimum wage, part-time job the interview/hiring process is extremely ridiculous. The process is split into three phases.

Phase 1: After turning in an application and getting a phone call for a first interview, you will usually meet with a manager at the store you're applying to work at. They sit you down in these folding wood and cloth chairs in the middle of the store, in the middle of business hours, meaning in the middle of customers and televisions with movies audibly playing on them. The manager looks over your application and resume and asks you the usual types of questions. A few unique/major questions include "Give me a time you were blown away by customer service" and "Tell me about a time you had a bad customer service experience, and how would you have handled it differently".

Phase 2: You are called back fairly soon after the first interview to take an ACT-like test in the next few days. Seriously. YOU MUST SCORE 70% OR HIGHER ON THIS TEST OR YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT. For a video store job. The test is around 8-parts long, each part being separately timed based on whatever frivolous criteria they use to come up with those times (I assume a dart board or dice) and range between 3-8 minutes. The parts of the test include a Sudoku-type puzzle game, a part to see how well you can file alphabetically, "spot the difference/errors" in the names type game, progressively harder math questions, math word problems, reading comprehension, spelling, and synonyms. They sit you down in these folding wood and cloth chairs in the middle of the store, in the middle of business hours, meaning in the middle of customers and televisions with movies audibly playing on them, give you a pencil and the tests, and start a timer. Everything is incredibly distracting and seems completely unprofessional. Some of the test is easy, but some is rather difficult, especially with "Let It Go" being played throughout the store and customers darting behind, in front, and through you to view the new releases. To give you an example at how ridiculous this whole thing is, one of the math word problem questions was something along the lines of "Cindy sells 1/3 of her dresses in one city, 1/2 in another city, and sells the rest for $12 a piece and makes a total of $8000. How many dresses did Cindy start with?" all with the store distractions and the feeling of the timer counting down on you. When time is up you stop right away or you cannot finish the interview process. Once you are finished with the test, the manager of the store tells you that if you passed, you will hear from them within the next few days and then have a meeting with the District Manager, who does all the hiring for each store in their district.

Phase 3: Now, this was a little different for me. Like I said if you pass the test you are supposed to interview with the District Manager and he will make the decision to hire you or not. I had a scheduled interview in my town, but at a different store than the first interview. I was called the day before the interview and was asked if it was okay to change the interview day and time and location, to a different city, because of the District Manager's schedule, of course I said I was fine with that. So...
    MY Phase 3: I arrive for the interview early, like always. The manager of the store introduces himself, and I realize that I am not interviewing with the District manager, just another manager from another store. I try not to let it phase me and they sat me down in these folding wood and cloth chairs in the middle of the store, in the middle of business hours, meaning in the middle of customers and televisions with movies audibly playing on them. The interview was similar to the first one, but things were a bit varied. I was asked why I wanted to work at Family Video, if I'd seen any movies I'd really liked lately, what televisions shows I like, what video games I like. Some bigger questions such as what life events have happened to me that shaped me and put me on the course of who and where I am today, and of course the standard "What's your biggest weakness". The manager encouraged me to ask questions, and he answered them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Family Video.

I applied online, I interviewed in store out front. I took a written test out front. The manager interiewing you will need to wait on customers as they are interviewing you. The test is one point each, so do not spend time on the long multiplication problem. Leave it to last. Doing something that takes time caust you a point expecially if you could have dont three by skipping something. Study your math. 70.00 less 20%. The boxed area of math is very time comsuming. Not alot of math but seems to weigh more than other tests. If you can not find the wrong number move on to the next one. So I missed getting the job by 5 points. Part-time is 70%. I had a great interview. You may reapply in 6 months, but they switch out new test each 6 months.

Interview Questions
    • The box area is not sudoko as they say. It is across and over addition to find the wrong number in the box. Three numbers like 6,4,2 =12 or 6,4,3 = 14 So the wrong number is 3. This takes time, find it or move to the next box. Best achivement and turing point in your life. Just be positive.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burton, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burton, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Family Video in December 2014.

I applied online and got a call a week later to schedule an interview. I arrived 15 minutes early (just to be safe) and I had to walk around the store for a bit before she was ready to do the interview. When she was finally ready I was surprised to see that another girl was going to be present for the interview. It didn't bother me though as they both seemed nice. We went into one of the movie isles and began the very informal interview. I was asked why I wanted to work there, what my favorite movie was, what my former jobs were, if I was currently employed, what I was going to school for, and what else I liked to do besides watching movies. I also asked both women a few questions. Everything seemed to go great. They were very friendly and said they had a few more interviews and would be doing callbacks later in the day. Contrary to how I felt the interview went, I did not receive a call later that day (or the next). As I said, everything seemed great (friendly conversation with lots of laughs) so I'm not sure why I didn't get a call. It would have been nice to get a call even if they weren't continuing the hiring process just so I could know. This was my second interview with Family Video (the first being several years ago) and even though they were very simple and laid-back, I have to say that I'm disappointed with both experiences overall.

Interview Questions
    • They were all very simple and personal questions. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Family Video.

They handle applications very unprofessionally. Had to fill out 6 because they kept misplacing it. First step is to interview with the one of the management team or full-timer. If they like you, you get rescheduled to take an hour long test that consists of math, alphabetizing, reading comprehension, spelling and more. If you manage to pass the test, and most don't, you then interview with the District Manager. If he/she approves, you're in

Interview Questions
    • Questioning was really easy. Mush easier than the test. You personality counts for 90 percent of the interview process.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation phase. You get what they offer or move on.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Family Video.

Very different than what you'd expect. Work experience and skills are not their biggest concern they want to know who you are and the type of personality you have.
    you'll be asked about yourself, personal achievements, mentors, family relationships/dynamic, first job, current job, activities/hobbies, mentor, turning point in life etc.
    if you pass you will be asked to take a clerical test have to get at least a 70% sometimes (will make exceptions if they really liked you interview and the DM agrees)
    if you pass that you will interview again the the District Manager they decide for part time employees and full time employees
    If you are going for management (Manager in Training) you will then interview wight the regional manager they make the decision if you will be hired for the MIT position

Interview Questions
    • most these questions were unexpected bc again its about your personality not your skill or experience they want to find. Very different than past interviews i have had   View Answer
    They won't really work with you on pay negotiation, it is set at a certain rate and they will tell you to get your store revenue up to increase your salary. (you only get .01% off the store)

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Online or in store application. Interview is only about 15 minutes long, if you are liked you will be asked to take a test. After passing the test you meet with a district manager who will most likely approve and finalize the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • There is a test that you must pass to be hired for this position. It contains a decent amount of math, correcting spelling errors, alphabetizing, and other skills that are used regularly in the position. If you are just awful at math and cannot do long division, percentages, or fractions under pressure (test is timed and not taken in a quiet environment) than do not bother applying.   Answer Question
    There is zero negotiation until after 30 days of employment.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw, IN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Family Video in October 2014.

I filled out my application and dropped it off in the store where I asked to speak to the manager to give to him. I told him a little about myself and he seemed interested in hiring me. Since I have a full time job already, and a part time job on top of that, I explained when I would be available to work and I would need two weeks notice to quit my second job. I had an "official" interview the next day where we went against the back wall of the store and he asked me random questions. (A little unprofessional, but hey, its a video store, right?) So far, so good. Or so I thought. I was informed there would be a basic competency test to take before I could be considered. Having a Bachelors degree and over 6 years of sales experience, I thought it would be a breeze. Little did I know, it was harder than the SAT! I was given 3 min to alphabetize, 3 to correct errors and 6 min to do over 20 questions of math. This included long division, multiplication, division and multiplying fractions, etc which I haven't touched since high school. I was so overwhelmed by the timing of the test, the busy atmosphere, (right in the front, mind you) the difficulty of the questions and frustrated by the absolute irrelevance of the test that I gave up at that point, to which there was at least 10 more pages in the packet. I cannot imagine anyone passing with something less of a math degree with an incredibly high reading comprehension. I also cannot imagine anyone that intelligent wanting to work at $8/ hr. I have since read other reviews backing my experience that it astounds me this horrible hiring process is still in effect and that no one has sued them for unlawful discrimination of people with math, reading or spelling disabilities. I don't have those disabilities and I didn't feel I would be able to pass it! I wish there was a way to contact the people who created and implemented this test into practice and tell them what awful people they are and I hope they go out of business soon.

Sales Associate Interview

The interview was done during an open interview date. It was based on the stacking method. Very simple and non-stressful. Second part is a 45 minute test, which deals with math, spelling, synonymms, filing, and problem solving.

Video Clerk Interview

I had an initial questioning with the assistant manager. Very basic and standard questions. They then have you perform a series of mini-quizzes to test your aptitude. Topics included grammar, alphabetizing titles and math problems. This was timed.

Interview Questions
    • The math questions became progressively harder. With no calculator, it was hard to do all of them.   Answer Question
    They offered me the position and I accepted.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OH

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

I applied for the position after inquiring within and was contacted 24 hours later to schedule an interview. I arrived 5 minutes early to the interview but the store manager was late coming out from the back of the store to greet me, and she proceeded to wait on customers while I sat and waited to be interviewed. The questions she asked in the interview had nothing to do with my qualifications or work experience, in fact she admitted she had not even reviewed my application. During the interview, she had to pause several times to take care of customers and perform other duties. The interview itself lasted about 5 minutes and I was then asked to take a test to determine if I would be given a 2nd interview with the District Manager the following week. The various sections of the test were timed and dealt with identifying grammar mistakes, alphabetizing names, correcting spelling errors, reading paragraphs and answering related questions, and solving both basic math and advanced geometry equations. Although I am proficient in English and grammar, I found these parts of the test to be too lengthy to complete in a 4 minute interval, but she told me not to worry because "no one finishes each section." I completed the basic math problems but struggled with many of the advanced equations and consequently left most of them blank. She did not call me after the test like she said she would, so I stopped by the store later that night and was told I did not pass, despite the fact that the interviewing manager thought I was a perfect fit. I consider this their loss for choosing standardized testing as part of their hiring process, thus allowing qualified applicants to slip through the cracks. Judging by the other reviews, I feel fortunate to have not been chosen to move forward in the hiring process, up to and including employment with this company.