Family Video

Average Difficulty
158 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – All about personality not experience. They want to see that you are fun, outgoing, and generally get along well with people. The ideal candidate is a community college student (if part time) who was really cool in high school but peaked and can't get anything better. For a Manager they want a degree and flexibility. If you are reading this RUN! read reviews and you will understand.

Interview Question – Tell me about a turning point in your life   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation, they lied about pay I was going to get and wouldn't tell me an exact number until pushed. When I attempted to negotiate they stopped me and said that's the offer take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal and I thought I was interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. There were 2-3 positions available and 11 or more people interviewing for those positions.

Interview Questions

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal, I thought I would be interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. No really tough questions. There were more than 11 people interviewing and 2-3 positions open.

Interview Questions

Part Time Associate Interview

Part Time Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – I had to call a few times to actually talk to a manager about my application, then I was offered an interview. I was interviewed by an assistant manager. She seemed very nice and laid back. Also, easy going. The interview took place in the middle of the store, and I thought that was a bit strange. I was expecting something more private. The questions were just about what I like to do in my free time, what I'm going to school for, and why I want to work at Family Video. She said that the hiring process included a comprehension test. She said she was doing call backs on Monday. It's Monday

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales

Interviewed at Family Video

Interview Details – First, you have an interview with either the store manager, the assistant, or the manager in training. If they like you, you take a clerical test. You must pass the test with a 70%. If you pass, you meet the district manager, and they make the final say.

Interview Question – The clerical test is timed and difficult. 2-3 math sections, no calculators allowed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation available

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview Details – Two interviews and a test for non management. If you want management you should be expected to relocate. Otherwise you will be waiting as a part time employee until something opens up. Get used to high turnover... It's retail, so you never know when someone will flake out and leave you hanging. Keep extra staff on board so you can call them in at a moments notice.

Interview Question – Are you relocateable for management?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Youngstown, OH

Interview Details – I completed the online application after seeing a sign in front of a store stating that store managers earn $35-$40k per year. Less than 12 hours later, I received a phone call from the store I applied at, and they scheduled an interview for the following week.

When I arrived for my interview, I made small talk with the store manager, as she was checking movies back in and completing paperwork of some sort, which initially struck me as rude. I waited 10 minutes until she was finished before we started the interview. We walked into one of the aisle of movies and had more small talk: tell me about your hobbies and interests, who are your mentors, etc. Nothing that had anything to do with the position or their company. We were interrupted a handful of times when she had to stop the interview to go assist customers (apparently they didn't find it necessary to adequately staff their store). I waited patiently while the store manager chit chatted with customers long after their transaction was completed. I was tempted at one point to just leave, because my time didn't seem important to them. Very unprofessional in my opinion. At any rate, once we finally finished the interview she invited me to return to take an aptitude test, which was the next step in their hiring process. I scheduled the test for two days later.

I arrived to take the test and expected to it on a computer after having been told what the test would entail (alphabetizing, math, etc). The same store manager who interviewed me pulled up a chair right next to the check out and handed me a clipboard with the paper test. She informed me that she would time the different sections for me while helping customers (surprise, surprise). We started the test and went through each of the sections. While taking the test, there are movies playing, customers talking, phones ringing, etc. It was nerve wracking but I understood that if I couldn't take the test in that type of setting, I wouldn't be very effective at the job since that's what a normal day would look like. When I finished, the store manager said she would call me later that day after she had time to score my test and would let me know if I had passed or failed.

A few hours later, the store manager called and let me know I had passed. She then made arrangements to meet with the district manager, which was the final step in the hiring process. We scheduled that interview for two days later.

When I arrived for my final interview, I had a bunch of questions that I needed answered. At no point in the process had I been told a single job responsibility, nor had I been told what (if any) training would be done, etc. The district manager also met with me in the middle of an aisle in the store. He immediately started asking me questions about why I want to work for their company, if I would be willing to re-locate, if I enjoy sales, etc. After listening to a 15 minute speech about their company, it's history and it's financial value, I was finally afforded the opportunity to ask my burning questions. I asked about salary, benefits and the opportunity for growth within the company. I was informed that the salary did NOT start at $35k as their sign had stated - I would start at $28k, and as a manager in training. I would have the opportunity to earn bonuses, which could potentially increase my yearly salary to $35k. During that training program (he could not tell me how long the training would last) I would be taught various responsibilities and would be expected to teach them back to district or regional managers to prove my competency. I asked about benefits and when they would begin - he was unable to answer that question for me. This is the final step in an interview process - anyone with half a brain is going to ask these types of questions - he should've been prepared to give me solid answers. Finally, when I asked about growth within the company, I was informed that I would be relocated to other stores whose needs best fit my skills (basically, if I'm great with increasing revenue, they could send me to middle-of-nowhere-Montana to help a particular store). I would have no opportunity to stay in the area AND work for their company. I was told that I would get a phone call in the next two days or so if they wanted to offer me the position.

They called me back two days later, and I didn't answer. I had already made up my mind that I was not interested in working for the type of company I perceived them to be. In addition to the ridiculously low salary for the expectations of the job, the unclear benefits, unclear training program, and the lack of opportunity to grow with the company in my hometown, I knew the job would be one I'd hate. Since their initial phone call and offer, they have called me 3 more times and left voicemails. Part of me contemplated just answering and explaining my reason for declining the offer, but frankly, I felt I'd be wasting my breath.

Interview Question – None of the questions were "difficult" - they were more "random" than anything... tell me about your parents, what are your hobbies, who is your mentor?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – To be honest, I didn't think it was fair whatsoever that a manager of a store (with so much responsibility and expectations) only makes a base salary of $28k. There is the opportunity to earn more than that in bonuses, but those aren't based on the quality of your work, they're based on the sales of the store. I didn't like the idea that my quality of living would be based off of how well or how poorly my staff would do their jobs.

Secondly, I was given 0 information about what type of benefits I could expect. Their website states that all full time employees receive health benefits, but when I asked when those would start, I was given no answer. That was unacceptable. Benefits are one of the most important things (especially nowadays) that job seekers inquire about.

Finally, I didn't like the idea that I would have no say in my future within the company. If they wanted to relocate me, they could. And if I wanted to keep a job, I would have no choice but to move. That lifestyle may be a good fit for some people, but as a young woman interested in starting a family soon, it wasn't for me.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

MIT (Manager In Training)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Initial interview with a store manager asks basic questions about your home life, personal and professional goals. A test is given that is actually a bit of a challenge as it is timed and within the chaotic store. A second interview with a district manager does the same and then a third interview is offered with the regional manager who will ask slightly more difficult questions but no real curve balls.

Interview Question – I was coming from the non-profit sector into Family video and they asked me why I thought I would be successful in the private sector after having spent time in non-profits. They continued the question to ask if I would feel fulfilled.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start everyone within the same base salary range below 30K

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. A few days later I got a call from the district manager for an interview. That went well, it was short and friendly. He scheduled me for a clerical test that I thought I failed but actually passed. I was told I had to meet with the regional manager and after about a week of runaround I got my interview. That was a little more professional albeit in the middle of the movie isles. I was told I'd hear something by the end of the next day. I never did hear back so at this point I'm saying they are passing on me even though I am more than qualified.

Interview Question – What is the thing you are most proud of in your professional life? Least proud of?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied in-person and interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Interview, super ridiculous test, and then another interview.....all on different days. Then wait 2 weeks to find out if you are hired, call them yourself to see if you are hired, find out you are hired and they want you, but not till next week, train for 4 hours, they forget you exists for a couple weeks and you forget what u learned, come back in after they finally call you, get treated like crap by manager and other employee........terrible experience, cannot wait for my next shift :( and all this for a minimum wage job.

Interview Question – No difficult questions during interview but be aware they are looking for personality, not movie buffs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.....you get what you get

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!