Family Video Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2014
Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.6

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Online or in store application. Interview is only about 15 minutes long, if you are liked you will be asked to take a test. After passing the test you meet with a district manager who will most likely approve and finalize the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • There is a test that you must pass to be hired for this position. It contains a decent amount of math, correcting spelling errors, alphabetizing, and other skills that are used regularly in the position. If you are just awful at math and cannot do long division, percentages, or fractions under pressure (test is timed and not taken in a quiet environment) than do not bother applying.   Answer Question
    There is zero negotiation until after 30 days of employment.

Sales Associate Interview

The interview was done during an open interview date. It was based on the stacking method. Very simple and non-stressful. Second part is a 45 minute test, which deals with math, spelling, synonymms, filing, and problem solving.

Video Clerk Interview

I had an initial questioning with the assistant manager. Very basic and standard questions. They then have you perform a series of mini-quizzes to test your aptitude. Topics included grammar, alphabetizing titles and math problems. This was timed.

Interview Questions
    • The math questions became progressively harder. With no calculator, it was hard to do all of them.   Answer Question
    They offered me the position and I accepted.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OH

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

I applied for the position after inquiring within and was contacted 24 hours later to schedule an interview. I arrived 5 minutes early to the interview but the store manager was late coming out from the back of the store to greet me, and she proceeded to wait on customers while I sat and waited to be interviewed. The questions she asked in the interview had nothing to do with my qualifications or work experience, in fact she admitted she had not even reviewed my application. During the interview, she had to pause several times to take care of customers and perform other duties. The interview itself lasted about 5 minutes and I was then asked to take a test to determine if I would be given a 2nd interview with the District Manager the following week. The various sections of the test were timed and dealt with identifying grammar mistakes, alphabetizing names, correcting spelling errors, reading paragraphs and answering related questions, and solving both basic math and advanced geometry equations. Although I am proficient in English and grammar, I found these parts of the test to be too lengthy to complete in a 4 minute interval, but she told me not to worry because "no one finishes each section." I completed the basic math problems but struggled with many of the advanced equations and consequently left most of them blank. She did not call me after the test like she said she would, so I stopped by the store later that night and was told I did not pass, despite the fact that the interviewing manager thought I was a perfect fit. I consider this their loss for choosing standardized testing as part of their hiring process, thus allowing qualified applicants to slip through the cracks. Judging by the other reviews, I feel fortunate to have not been chosen to move forward in the hiring process, up to and including employment with this company.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broadview Heights, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broadview Heights, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

I applied online and as soon as I finished the application, I got a confirmation email that they had received my application. About 3-4 days later I got a call asking me to come in for an interview the following day.

I arrived to the interview and was first asked easy questions like "What are your hobbies?" and "Tell me about yourself" I really thought I did a great job on this part because I am a movie fanatic. I spend most of my free time watching movies and it has always been a passion of mine to learn more about the actors, the stories behind the films, directors, etc. BUT Family Video has no interest on what your knowledge of movies or video games or anything like that is. It is the least of their worries even though it's a Family Video Store... this has left me very disappointed. Next the manager that interviewed me asked me about my previous jobs and when I mentioned I had left my last job because at the moment I was going to be starting college in the Fall instead of the Spring and although she seemed to understand that she didn't seem to understand my other reason which was that I would either get 0-2 HOURS of work a week. She responded to me by saying "Well, isn't some hours better than no hours?" I felt very uncomfortable answering this because I don't see why anyone would stay at a job where there are weeks they don't even get hours and when they do they only get 2. 4 If I was lucky. Nonetheless, I answered "Yes, I do believe that is true. But like I mentioned before, I had plans to attend a University and had to put in my end date." (No attitude in the way I said this at all.

Next, I was asked if I had 45 minutes. I knew what was coming thanks to this website but was absolutely blown away by the test itself. She told me each section was timed but didn't tell me how much time I had for each. It seemed to range from "4 minutes and 30 seconds" to "Seven minutes" The test asked RIDICULOUS questions. The math sections, the Sudoku like section (which I have never really done much before so found this to be a little more time consuming) I did quite good on the organization parts of the quiz and the basic math, all things that would make sense for the job. But that wasn't good enough. I did not score high enough on their test, I believe partially because the entire thing was making me nervous and I didn't get to fill in a lot of the answers since I am used to taking a little more time on questions than I was given.

I left the store and not even 20 minutes after leaving I was called and told they would not be furthering my interview process (because yes there would have been more) because of my low score. I felt humiliated and I am afraid to ever rent a movie there again, which is a shame because I loved it so much but the interview was very bad and left me feeling ashamed of my speed with tests and even my lack of knowledge on a lot of the questions.

*I'd also like to add that I found the manager that interviewed me to be VERY unprofessional. She had her iPhone on loud the entire time I was taking the test. (In the middle of the store) She received many texts while I took the test and I found that she didn't even put her phone on silent or vibrate to be rude if she was going to text the entire time. She even had a personal phone call that lasted at least 5 minutes, I found myself concentrating on not only the test but her conversation since it was about hiring people and how they are having such a difficult time doing so. (Maybe if their hiring process wasn't so ridiculous it wouldn't be that hard) Her personal conversation also was about her plans for vacation and how she is stressed and was really rather rude in my opinion. There is already a movie on in the store at all times, she has enough entertainment.

LASTLY. Another kid interview after me, I am assuming he may have not had the job since Family Video has plastered their store now (about a week after my interview) with OPEN INTERVIEW signs.

I really think Family Video could have been a great job, so maybe I am just bitter at the process but I would just suggest they concentrate more on just organization skills, people skills, movie/video game knowledge, cash register knowledge, and money handling knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • The ACT Style Test I had to take to work at a Family Video store and how they were more worried about how I am at long division in a short amount of time than my knowledge on how to use a cash register or on films or video games.   Answer Question
    • "What is 24% of 546?" Also make sure you have time to do the other 10 math questions that are similar and a few a little easier than this question in 5 minutes.   Answer Question

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

This process was a lot longer than expected and a lot more in-depth than any other professional interview I have had. They are looking for personalities. I did come in with a lot of customer service and management experience. They were more interested in what I liked to do in my free time.
    Overall I was interviewed 5 times by four different people. First I met an MIT because the store manager who was supposed to interview me was with another applicant running long. I came back to do their timed reading comprehension and math based test. The store manager wanted to meet with me. Then I interviewed with the District manager. From there I met the regional manager for lunch and then one more time a little later again that week and a second MIT interview me (this was practice for her I bet).
    Most of the questions were very similar asking about my hobbies, what I would like to achieve, etc?

Interview Questions
    • What is the biggest turning point in your life?
      What is your greatest achievement?
      What are your hobbies?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

Noticed a advertisement for the District Manager position in the local area. I applied online and was contacted within 2 days by a District Manager via email who told me to call a HR specialist. I was told that interviews were being conducted on Tuesday of the upcoming week, which did not work for me. I asked for a different day to meet and was given the phone number to the District Manager who had emailed me. Turns out it was the phone number to one of their stores where I had to ask for her by name. I was told that she was not there and to contact another store and was offered that phone number. After 2 more times of this happening, I was told that she had stepped out and would call me back. She called back within 30 minutes and offered an alternative time that worked for me. Just like all of the other reviews written, I was interviewed by the District Manager in the isles of the store because I was told "They do not believe in offices." I was told about the company and all of its beliefs along with how much she enjoyed her job as District Manager. She also stated that the average District Manager makes anywhere from $70,000 to $120,000, which was much higher then advertised. I was also told that she was the District Manager for the area and that there was already a District Manager for the other local area, so if I wanted the position I would have to move. Which took me by surprise because the advertisement was for the local area and didn't state that you would have to move to accept the job. But I continued on and said that I was still potentially interested. I was also asked if I was a small town guy or a city guy, and if I like Indiana or Ohio. She seemed impressed by my credentials and said that if I was ready I could take the test that was required. It was lengthy but not college level difficult. Most of the test consisted of basic math problems that you could use a calculator with, grammar checking, and basic work that you would do if you did clerical work. I was told I was timed but always finished ahead of the timer. Through all of this the District Manager had left and given me to the Store Manager who was the only one working at the time. After I was finished he told me that he would grade the test and that the District Manager would contact me soon. Within 20 minutes I received a call from her saying that I had passed and she wanted me to meet with the Regional Manager. We arranged a meeting for the same day. Again the meeting was setup in the isles of another store. We sat down and the only topics I was asked about were personal questions that did not pertain to my set of skills. We honestly talked about my knowledge and skills maybe 10% of the 30 minutes I was there. The other 90% was asking about my friends, family, who I though I was as a person. What really got me though was when she asked me what questions I had for her, which I had two already preset in my mind. One of which was what are the daily and weekly duties of a district Manager, which was answered by "I do not believe in placing someone in the District Manager position first, I usually start them as a Store Manager (which only makes around $28,000 a year) and then if they prove themselves over time they can work their way up, which was not a answer to the question. I stated that I am here for the District Manager position but I knew that she already had her mind set on this process. The other question was "how do you feel I fit the position I am applying for?" She proceeded to tell me that I was not outgoing enough. A little background knowledge on me, I am a Martial Arts Instructor, Olympic Fencer, active in my community, and currently a General Manager. I really don't know where that answer came from. I must also state that all of the questions she asked me I could tell were cookie cutter questions that she had to remember and then ask me during the interview. She told me that she would get a hold of me a business day later and tell me the results of the interview. I never heard back. The entire process had taken only 1 day and I had already changed my mind about the business from positive to negative within that time frame. Before I had went for the interview I had made sure to check Glassdoor for reviews and salaries. Knowing what everyone had said I still decided to go ahead with the interview. It is word for word what every other review says. I felt like the advertisement I had originally seen for the position was an extreme misrepresentation of what was desired. I truly am happy I didn't receive a offer because the only reason at the end I was considering the job was for the money, which would have made it just a job.

Interview Questions
    • What would your friends say about you? Describe yourself? Are you ok with relocation?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

Filled out an application on line. Got a call a week later to set up a in person interview. I was asked my current living arrangements. The in person interview wasn't too hard. I found the interview to be unprofessional. It was done on the sales floor and interrupted multiple times by the person interviewing me assisting customers.

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

The initial interview takes place in store, there is no break room or any other private room. They ask questions about who you are personally, like your hobbies and interests. If the manager likes you, they ask you to come back and take a 60 question multiple choice quiz with timed sections. This is done in store as well, with no privacy and lots of distractions. If you pass this quiz, then you meet with district management to see if they like you.

None

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in August 2014.

I saw a sign asking for recent college graduates to apply to become a manager(and claimed they offered 32K with benefits, which is stretching the truth quite a bit). I was a recent college graduate and decided to give it a shot because I was having a tough time finding a job in my field. I applied online, and within a day I was scheduled for an interview.

I went in for the initial interview with the Store Manager and we had a very short interview using the "stacking method" as referenced several times before. After that I took the aptitude test and passed "with flying colors". I then interviewed with the District Manager(30 minutes later than I was scheduled because she was late) and she really started pushing the point that I would have to relocate some place across the country. In retrospect, maybe she was trying to push me away, but I told her that I was willing to relocate "within a reasonable distance". She then started playing semantics and asking what a "reasonable distance" would be, and I explained my preferences. I thought that interview went quite well, and she set me up with an interview with the Regional Manager at a local restaurant, which I found rather odd, but agreed. He also showed up late, though only about 15 minutes so. We had a nice conversation, and I thought it went rather well. He told me that I would hear something the next day, and that if I didn't hear anything, to give the District Manager a call. I didn't hear anything the next day, so I called the District Manager and she informed me that they "weren't going to move forward". When I politely asked why, she responded with "I don't know, I wasn't there, but [the RM] has decided not to move forward" which I know is not true. I'm sure there was discussion, but I respect that they don't want to give out the reasons. They probably had concerns about my ability to control a staff because I don't come across as a very assertive person. I had the same doubts myself, but I'm sure I could have handled it.

Overall, I was disappointed in the entire process. The interviews are held in the aisles of the store(except for my RM interview) and they are very brief. They don't really ask you any questions that pertain to the job, but keep referencing the fact that "there's a lot more than meets the eye". When I asked the District Manager to provide a specific detail that makes it more difficult than it seems, she couldn't give me an answer. The aptitude test also has next to nothing to do with the actual job. Why would I ever need to know the square root of 2046 to manage a video store?

I'm disappointed that I wasn't offered the position, but it is probably for the best. The salary(24K starting) is not nearly enough to convince most people to move across the country. I was going to do the training for about 6 months, see where they wanted me to move, and then make a decision. You can hardly afford to live in an apartment on that salary after taxes.