Family Video

142 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Lower Burrell, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in May 2011.

Interview Details – It's just an easy conversation. Be sure to keep eye contact and smile!

Interview Question – Tell me a little bit about yourself?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called back a few days later for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager in one of the aisles of the store, not an office or anything. The manager was very nice and asked basic questions like, "Tell me about yourself." No hard questions at all, it was about a five minute interview. She told me after this interview I have to meet with the district manager, which she said could take up to three weeks and if I don't hear back from her by then she said to, "Definitely call her back." I waited three weeks and called back. She answered and said that they had already picked another candidate. I sort of feel dumb now thinking everything went very well and that she really liked me and just thought that was a normal process. If you are desperately in need of a job (like I am) do not wait around for them, even if they made you feel like they really liked you.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, asked about myself and past job experience.   Answer Question

Columbus, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – After filling out an application you are scheduled to take a general knowledge test, brush up on your high school exams, then you interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – If they bring up what media you watch.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none, they told me I will work around 20 hours a week (which is really 10 or less) and felt proud that they offered more than minimum wage ($8, I'm rich)

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the store manager and the district manager and a math test in between the two interviews

Interview Question – Your biggest role model?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online via the site directly (they were not advertising that they were hiring) and received a call within a day or two! The initial interview was with the Store Manager in the Game Room of the store. She asked me only a handful of questions like "Tell me about yourself.", "What do you do in your free time?" and your answers kind of direct what they ask next. The first interview was all based on character. At the end of the interview, the store manager immediately scheduled me for a Pre-Employment test the following day. This test is honestly fairly difficult!! It consisted of somewhere around 8 parts and dealt with math, story problems, spelling, alphabetizing, catching errors in number and letter strings and speed. Each section of the test is timed. If you pass this test, you will get a call within a day or two and will be scheduled to meet with the District Manager in the store with another manager also (for me it was the same manager that administered my test). This interview is similar but you obviously need to win over the DM as he makes all final decisions. I was told I would know after two days but did not receive a call, so I called the Store Manager and told her I was just following up on the status of my interviews and she called the DM and returned my call with a job offer that day.

Interview Question – Most all questions are based on character, customer service experience or skills, and how you would deal with customers. The company is very customer service oriented and is looking for social, positive and independent people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate as I needed a job regardless. However, the DM gave me several opportunites to ask and I think they are willing to negotiate to some extent.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Onalaska, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Video in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interview is just like any other however they use what is called the stacking method. they will ask about your home life, work experience, hobbies, mentor, family, five year plan, career goals, not necessarily in that order. If you get through the initial interview you will be given an aptitude test. after the aptitude tet you will interview again with the district manager for final approval.

Interview Question – The aptitude test is usually the most unexpected thing. honestly if you can't do well on it you most likely will not be that good at the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – fair. they are competitve but you have to be brave enough to ask.

Shift Leader Interview

Shift Leader

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Fill out application either online or in the store...you will then receive a call to set up either a group interview or one-on-one with the store manager. Expect the normal questions (school, work exp etc), but there will be some off the wall questions too, such as who is your mentor (looking for a family member here-family values), hobbies/extra curriculars, things like that. If you do not dress for the interview do not expect a call back- this is extremely important to them. Be peppy and enthusiastic, these people tend to do very well in this company. Assuming you pass this initial interview, you'll move onto a pre-employment test. This is timed, and rigorous. No calculator allowed, though there are very difficult math portions. Must have a 75% to pass; this is where we lost the majority of our applicants. If you somehow pass this test, you will be called back for a THIRD interview, this time with the district manager. Hopefully he likes you, because he has the final say, ultimately. Good luck.

Interview Question – The entire test is difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Most people start out at minimum wage because they don't know any better. I went in asking for $9/hour and received something close to that.

Customer Service Representative

Interviewed at Family Video

Interview Details – THey have a test to take that 90% of people will fail.

Interview Question – Easy interview   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Springfield, MO

I applied online - interviewed at Family Video in July 2012.

Interview Details – Submit application/resume online or in store, called to schedule interview with store manager, first interview with store manager, scheduled second date to take written test over math, spelling, filing systems and general knowledge that relates to position, take test and score above a 65%, interview with district manager, position offered

Interview Question – What is your favorite movie?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiations are very limited.

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Customer Service/Cashier
Bay City, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Family Video in February 2014.

Interview Details – What are some of the interview questions that they have for the Bay City, MI area. And do ALL employees have to do the dreaded timed tests. If so, what type of math, english, typing, filing, etc. skills do you need. Please me specific and can you use a calculator for the math portion?

Interview Question – Does any of the sudoku testing? What is the best way to do this test in such a sort amount of time?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Video

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Video interview questions and advice. All 142 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Video employees and interview candidates.