Family Video Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.6

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

**NO FACIAL HAIR** They told me I had to shave my beard after I went through the whole interview process. Process took 3+ weeks just because they kept saying they would call me and then didn't. I went in twice after applying and called twice to check on my application before they finally called me. Interview was in an aisle of the store so kind of weird but had easy questions. Then had to take an aptitude test. This aptitude test is EASY. Whoever is on here saying it was hard or ridiculous has to be below average intelligence. I got done with every section with plenty of time remaining. It is addition, subtraction, multiplication and deduction. There are grammar and story problems with reading comprehension.

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lackawanna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video (Lackawanna, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called to schedule an interview 3 days later. The online application was very simple. Had my first interview with the District Manager at a different store than the one I was applying to - about 15 minutes away. I arrived 10 minutes early and was greeted by the District Manager when I walked in the door who interviewed me immediately. The interview took about 15 minutes in the video game section of the store. The DM was very friendly and fun and it felt more like a conversation. I was asked to take the skills test immediately after. Skills test was challenging as the store had a movie playing during my test. I was told I passed and would be called to set up a second interview.

DM called 3 days later to schedule an interview with the Regional Manager. This time I had to drive about 40 minutes to a different store. When I arrived, I had to wait about 10 minutes as the RM was interviewing another candidate. Second interview was a bit stressful. The RM was polite but very serious. He asked me a lot of similar questions as the DM. I wasn't sure if I did well, but the DM called me the next day to offer a position. After reading more reviews as well as the employee handbook, I decided to decline. I really like the DM but the job just wasn't for me.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Applied on Craigslist. Was called within 3 days. First interviewed with the store manager, next a 30 minute test - math, reading, etc. Next interview with district manager. All pretty straightforward.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video (Green Bay, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

This is a longgggg interview process. I gave them a hard copy of my application and the next day I got a phone call to set up an interview. I had to wait for a while because of a flow of customers, but I understand as customers should have the most priority. The store manager then took me to the back of the store and asked me some general questions. Then we set a date for the IQ test. It was about a week after my first interview and I was with one other girl. I found it easy but the timed part of it is by far the hardest part. Each section is timed, and that leaves almost no time to double check your answers. As far as how the test relates to the actual job, I totally get it. I took it with another girl who didn't even write any answers down she was so lost, and those aren't the kind of people you want working for you. Next she gave me my score (which has to be over 70%) and she set me up for the final interview with the district manager. That interview was probably five days after the test, so everything was kind of spaced out which I didn't like. Anyways, the manager was very nice and easy to talk to. He told me to expect a call in the next 24 hours regardless, and I got a call the very next day offering the job. Although I think the application process is too long, it will be good practice for future careers in a higher-stake setting.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Family Video (Toledo, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

Walked in and asked if there was a job opportunity, was given a paper application, I returned it next day, was called in for a interview same day. The interview was amazing. However was interrupted by customers and phones. Was asked to take a test on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Described an experience managing a PR program implemented by you.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you network with other businesses to gain referrals.   1 Answer

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in April 2015.

Interview

Easy. They look for personality and don't give two hoots about your qualifications. They ask illegal questions. But they're not super invasive ones. You have a store manager interview then district then regional. All very easy, all very unethcial. For a company that claims a family oriented atmosphere. It's the farthest thing from it.

Assistant Manager and/Or Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Video (Greenwood, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

After completing the initial online application process -- which was refreshingly simple, basic and succinct -- received a call directly from the store location to arrange an interview. Was given a name of the mgr I would be meeting and we agreed on a day/time. I arrived dressed smartly ten minutes early only to discover the mgr assigned to interview me had "just left". So instead the manager on duty collected her notes and paperwork to handle the meeting herself. Although she did well to avoid appearing inconvenienced or uninterested, at the same time I sensed that she was completely taken aback and perhaps a little annoyed. The interview was rather rushed and I was not given an opportunity to ask any questions. Instead she told me they had numerous candidates to consider and that I would only be contacted IF I was selected to participate in the testing phase. Right then I knew I was not given a fair shake and would not be hearing back from them (gut feeling). As a well-traveled professional who is looking for a mid-career change to customer service (from my degree in graphic design), I felt wholly disrespected and unfairly treated. I love movies, retail, customer service, and feel confident I would have been a good employee for Family Video. And one last note. During my job search, a friend upstate encouraged me to apply for FV. He had met w/ his local store several yrs prior and was offered a Mgr spot immediately. The only drawback was that FV prefers managers who don't mind being relocated. This was not possible for his family situation so he declined their offer -- however that wasn't a hurdle for myself. I would have welcomed the prospect of moving for work, and told my interviewer the same.

Interview Questions

• What was the 'turning point' in your life?   1 Answer

Sales Ascociate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

If your interview is with the store manager, you will have to meet the district manager before being hired. EASY interview. As long as you dress appropriately and are FUN and outgoing, you will get the job. That's all they want is a personality! Questions are easy. Test is a little much but if your brush up on basic math you'll do fine. Some people say it's totally ridiculous but you DO use most of the skills at the actual job. Its not just cashing out customers! Its sales, inventories, alphabetizing, and spacing the shelves is like a puzzle and does require some math!

Interview Questions

• What was a turning point in your life and why? Who is your mentor and why? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are your hobbies? What is your greatest achievement ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Part Time Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Family Video (West Des Moines, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

Was called back a few days after applying online. 1st interview I showed up early only to wait 15 minutes after scheduled time because of another interview. Pros and cons.... he said I have the personality they are looking for... asked me some questions... blah blah... the interview process came about... did the clerical test and passed despite "it's a hard knock life" on repeat to annoy me, I couldn't help but chuckle, not only that a rude customer was in during that time, very suspicious... but still passed the test... came in for the District Manager interview, it was a woman. During this time I dressed in a tie and was early on spot "on time" for every part. She asked me the same questions as the first interview and it was a common "build you up" let you down routine of questioning... after all of this effort ended in failure because my personality did not match what they were looking for, I get the call back that I didn't get the job " the 1st manger said it sucked I didn't get hired, but still wants me as a customer in the store"... oh yeah... lol, not to mention the dm told me they are going through a short period. I thought I was cheesed and brainwashed by the positives and judged by the negatives, but well it wasn't meant to be, but that's how it is and was.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Family Video (Lake Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Worst interview experience ever. I arrived fifteen minutes early for my scheduled time and ended up waiting a bit longer than expected despite the fact that there were three other employees there and the store was minimally busy. The interview took place at the check out counter where both other employees and customers were standing talking. They then proceeded to have take a aptitude test that I was not previously warned about. They sat me in a tiny chair with a clipboard in the middle of one of the aisles with an egg timer to time each section. Keep in mind I am a business professional that was simply looking for a part time job on nights and weekends that was close to home. This was hands down the most unprofessional interview I have ever sat through. If you are by any means experienced this is not the place for you. Their employment process is obviously aimed towards teenagers and people who do not pride themselves on acting like a professional.