Family Video Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
165 interviews

2.6

Store Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in August 2014.

I saw a sign asking for recent college graduates to apply to become a manager(and claimed they offered 32K with benefits, which is stretching the truth quite a bit). I was a recent college graduate and decided to give it a shot because I was having a tough time finding a job in my field. I applied online, and within a day I was scheduled for an interview.

I went in for the initial interview with the Store Manager and we had a very short interview using the "stacking method" as referenced several times before. After that I took the aptitude test and passed "with flying colors". I then interviewed with the District Manager(30 minutes later than I was scheduled because she was late) and she really started pushing the point that I would have to relocate some place across the country. In retrospect, maybe she was trying to push me away, but I told her that I was willing to relocate "within a reasonable distance". She then started playing semantics and asking what a "reasonable distance" would be, and I explained my preferences. I thought that interview went quite well, and she set me up with an interview with the Regional Manager at a local restaurant, which I found rather odd, but agreed. He also showed up late, though only about 15 minutes so. We had a nice conversation, and I thought it went rather well. He told me that I would hear something the next day, and that if I didn't hear anything, to give the District Manager a call. I didn't hear anything the next day, so I called the District Manager and she informed me that they "weren't going to move forward". When I politely asked why, she responded with "I don't know, I wasn't there, but [the RM] has decided not to move forward" which I know is not true. I'm sure there was discussion, but I respect that they don't want to give out the reasons. They probably had concerns about my ability to control a staff because I don't come across as a very assertive person. I had the same doubts myself, but I'm sure I could have handled it.

Overall, I was disappointed in the entire process. The interviews are held in the aisles of the store(except for my RM interview) and they are very brief. They don't really ask you any questions that pertain to the job, but keep referencing the fact that "there's a lot more than meets the eye". When I asked the District Manager to provide a specific detail that makes it more difficult than it seems, she couldn't give me an answer. The aptitude test also has next to nothing to do with the actual job. Why would I ever need to know the square root of 2046 to manage a video store?

I'm disappointed that I wasn't offered the position, but it is probably for the best. The salary(24K starting) is not nearly enough to convince most people to move across the country. I was going to do the training for about 6 months, see where they wanted me to move, and then make a decision. You can hardly afford to live in an apartment on that salary after taxes.

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

The initial interview takes place in store, there is no break room or any other private room. They ask questions about who you are personally, like your hobbies and interests. If the manager likes you, they ask you to come back and take a 60 question multiple choice quiz with timed sections. This is done in store as well, with no privacy and lots of distractions. If you pass this quiz, then you meet with district management to see if they like you.

None

Store Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Family Video in October 2010.

Initial interview, test, district manager interview, regional manager interview. Be prepared to show off your personality. They want to see that you are a leader. Shake hands firmly, walk with a purpose, make eye contact, tell the truth, be self assured.

Interview Questions
    Offer comes on the phone later, take it or leave it.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

I attended a group interview posted on a store billboard. Why not? The billboard said, "Hiring managers. No experience needed. Just smiles". I was the only intelligent one among the group, as I replied to the questions with professional, intelligent responses. The universal question, "Why do you want to work here?" was a breeze, of course. One girl responded with, "I like movies". Seriously? Why are you even here? As I shook the manager's hand, she said she'd call us back by 5 pm the next day. I received a call within 15 minutes of leaving the store. That was promising! They scheduled a testing session for me two days later. The test was difficult, requiring a comprehensive knowledge of college math. I understand being a manager should require more than a GED, but goodness, they were expecting high standards. I passed, interestingly enough, and they scheduled a third interview with the district managers two days later. I had to drive 40 minutes to meet the manager. That was inconvenient, but okay. Very nice lady, but as I finally got to ask the questions I needed, I realized something. This company was hiding some important facts. She basically told me that it would be extremely difficult to become a store manager anytime soon if I wasn't relocatable to anywhere in the United States. Seriously? I have a life, family, obligations. I can't just up and move anytime you want for 30,000 a year. I don't think so. Also, they wanted me to commute 30 minutes each direction a day. Assistant managers only make 11 dollars an hour and work the 44 hours minimum a week. I don't think so. I'm going to continue college so I don't have to work my butt off for barely above minimum wage.

Interview Questions
    • None of the interview question were difficult. The test was, however.   Answer Question

This company wasn't up front about their expectations. I wasn't about to commute an hour a day for a minimum wage job with incredibly bad hours.

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austintown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austintown, OH

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview was typical, they asked the normal questions that you would get in an interview. However they make you take this test. A lot of hard math questions were involved which makes sense for the job, late fees are a part of your every day life there, as well as inventory.

no negotiations

Full Time Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

I walked in just to ask for an application but the store manager struck up a conversation with me (sort of felt like I was being interviewed right on the spot). Asked some person questions. After all was said and done he offered an interview that night.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked: where was I born, what was my relationship with my siblings, what were the ages of my siblings, what brought me to where I live now, where do I see myself in 5 years, what was my greatest achievement, and who was my mentor. The most difficult part was the assessment test, which took an hour to complete. The math problems were ridiculously hard, multiplying fractions and finding the square root of outrageous numbers. Also the word problems were NO cake walk.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Went into store and filled out an application and then was scheduled for an interview later that week. 2 days later had the interview. It lasted about 10-15 minutes. I was asked about my customer service skills and why I wanted to work for them. It seemed like I really hit it off with the manager. I was told that I would be called by 5pm the next day if they were interested in me. I was also told that the next step would be an assessment and interview with district manager.

Interview Questions
    • Just behavior questions inquiring about how you handle customers   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

All about personality not experience. They want to see that you are fun, outgoing, and generally get along well with people. The ideal candidate is a community college student (if part time) who was really cool in high school but peaked and can't get anything better. For a Manager they want a degree and flexibility. If you are reading this RUN! read reviews and you will understand.

Interview Questions
    No Negotiation, they lied about pay I was going to get and wouldn't tell me an exact number until pushed. When I attempted to negotiate they stopped me and said that's the offer take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal and I thought I was interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. There were 2-3 positions available and 11 or more people interviewing for those positions.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal, I thought I would be interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. No really tough questions. There were more than 11 people interviewing and 2-3 positions open.

Interview Questions

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!