Family Video

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – The initial interview takes place in store, there is no break room or any other private room. They ask questions about who you are personally, like your hobbies and interests. If the manager likes you, they ask you to come back and take a 60 question multiple choice quiz with timed sections. This is done in store as well, with no privacy and lots of distractions. If you pass this quiz, then you meet with district management to see if they like you.

Interview Question – Why you want this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Family Video in October 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview, test, district manager interview, regional manager interview. Be prepared to show off your personality. They want to see that you are a leader. Shake hands firmly, walk with a purpose, make eye contact, tell the truth, be self assured.

Interview Question – Tel me about a time when you fired someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer comes on the phone later, take it or leave it.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

MIT (Manager In Training)
Tulsa, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – I attended a group interview posted on a store billboard. Why not? The billboard said, "Hiring managers. No experience needed. Just smiles". I was the only intelligent one among the group, as I replied to the questions with professional, intelligent responses. The universal question, "Why do you want to work here?" was a breeze, of course. One girl responded with, "I like movies". Seriously? Why are you even here? As I shook the manager's hand, she said she'd call us back by 5 pm the next day. I received a call within 15 minutes of leaving the store. That was promising! They scheduled a testing session for me two days later. The test was difficult, requiring a comprehensive knowledge of college math. I understand being a manager should require more than a GED, but goodness, they were expecting high standards. I passed, interestingly enough, and they scheduled a third interview with the district managers two days later. I had to drive 40 minutes to meet the manager. That was inconvenient, but okay. Very nice lady, but as I finally got to ask the questions I needed, I realized something. This company was hiding some important facts. She basically told me that it would be extremely difficult to become a store manager anytime soon if I wasn't relocatable to anywhere in the United States. Seriously? I have a life, family, obligations. I can't just up and move anytime you want for 30,000 a year. I don't think so. Also, they wanted me to commute 30 minutes each direction a day. Assistant managers only make 11 dollars an hour and work the 44 hours minimum a week. I don't think so. I'm going to continue college so I don't have to work my butt off for barely above minimum wage.

Interview Question – None of the interview question were difficult. The test was, however.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This company wasn't up front about their expectations. I wasn't about to commute an hour a day for a minimum wage job with incredibly bad hours.

Keyholder Interview

Keyholder
Austintown, OH

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Interview was typical, they asked the normal questions that you would get in an interview. However they make you take this test. A lot of hard math questions were involved which makes sense for the job, late fees are a part of your every day life there, as well as inventory.

Interview Question – Why work at family video?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Full Time Interview

Full Time

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – I walked in just to ask for an application but the store manager struck up a conversation with me (sort of felt like I was being interviewed right on the spot). Asked some person questions. After all was said and done he offered an interview that night.

Interview Question – I was asked: where was I born, what was my relationship with my siblings, what were the ages of my siblings, what brought me to where I live now, where do I see myself in 5 years, what was my greatest achievement, and who was my mentor. The most difficult part was the assessment test, which took an hour to complete. The math problems were ridiculously hard, multiplying fractions and finding the square root of outrageous numbers. Also the word problems were NO cake walk.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – Went into store and filled out an application and then was scheduled for an interview later that week. 2 days later had the interview. It lasted about 10-15 minutes. I was asked about my customer service skills and why I wanted to work for them. It seemed like I really hit it off with the manager. I was told that I would be called by 5pm the next day if they were interested in me. I was also told that the next step would be an assessment and interview with district manager.

Interview Question – Just behavior questions inquiring about how you handle customers   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – All about personality not experience. They want to see that you are fun, outgoing, and generally get along well with people. The ideal candidate is a community college student (if part time) who was really cool in high school but peaked and can't get anything better. For a Manager they want a degree and flexibility. If you are reading this RUN! read reviews and you will understand.

Interview Question – Tell me about a turning point in your life   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation, they lied about pay I was going to get and wouldn't tell me an exact number until pushed. When I attempted to negotiate they stopped me and said that's the offer take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal and I thought I was interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. There were 2-3 positions available and 11 or more people interviewing for those positions.

Interview Questions

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal, I thought I would be interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. No really tough questions. There were more than 11 people interviewing and 2-3 positions open.

Interview Questions

Part Time Associate Interview

Part Time Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview Details – I had to call a few times to actually talk to a manager about my application, then I was offered an interview. I was interviewed by an assistant manager. She seemed very nice and laid back. Also, easy going. The interview took place in the middle of the store, and I thought that was a bit strange. I was expecting something more private. The questions were just about what I like to do in my free time, what I'm going to school for, and why I want to work at Family Video. She said that the hiring process included a comprehension test. She said she was doing call backs on Monday. It's Monday

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!