Family Video Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

2.6

Retail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video (Charleston, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

First interview I showed up 10 minutes early, had to wait 15 minutes for the manager to get back to the store. Interview took place in one of the less busy aisles. Great interview manager and I really hit it off. Lasted about 20 minutes but most of that was spent just talking and getting off topic from the interview, which was fine and got to show part of my personality you wouldn't normally get to show during a "normal" interview. Set up a time 3 days later to take the skill test. Test took about 45 minutes, I took it next to the check out counter while manager dealt with customers. Was called about 4 hours after I completed the test and she told me I passed the test and set up a final interview with the district manager. Due to the DM's schedule and vacation it will be almost 2 weeks before the DM interview so that is why for now I've selected haven't been offered a position as the process is still ongoing

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

**NO FACIAL HAIR** They told me I had to shave my beard after I went through the whole interview process. Process took 3+ weeks just because they kept saying they would call me and then didn't. I went in twice after applying and called twice to check on my application before they finally called me. Interview was in an aisle of the store so kind of weird but had easy questions. Then had to take an aptitude test. This aptitude test is EASY. Whoever is on here saying it was hard or ridiculous has to be below average intelligence. I got done with every section with plenty of time remaining. It is addition, subtraction, multiplication and deduction. There are grammar and story problems with reading comprehension.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Applied on Craigslist. Was called within 3 days. First interviewed with the store manager, next a 30 minute test - math, reading, etc. Next interview with district manager. All pretty straightforward.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Video in June 2015.

Interview

Delivered application, was taken aside by manager to look over for "open interview" style thing. We were on the sales floor, but it was a slow afternoon, so it was rather informal. The manager went through a couple questions while looking over my application, asked me three questions (below), then told me he would get back to me. Two days later I received a call and was told I "wasn't what they were looking for for the position" which I thought was rather odd for a company with such a high turnover rate. Person who called was not the same person who interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• How long have you worked in sales?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work with our company?   1 Answer
    • What kind of hours are you looking at?   1 Answer

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lackawanna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video (Lackawanna, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called to schedule an interview 3 days later. The online application was very simple. Had my first interview with the District Manager at a different store than the one I was applying to - about 15 minutes away. I arrived 10 minutes early and was greeted by the District Manager when I walked in the door who interviewed me immediately. The interview took about 15 minutes in the video game section of the store. The DM was very friendly and fun and it felt more like a conversation. I was asked to take the skills test immediately after. Skills test was challenging as the store had a movie playing during my test. I was told I passed and would be called to set up a second interview. DM called 3 days later to schedule an interview with the Regional Manager. This time I had to drive about 40 minutes to a different store. When I arrived, I had to wait about 10 minutes as the RM was interviewing another candidate. Second interview was a bit stressful. The RM was polite but very serious. He asked me a lot of similar questions as the DM. I wasn't sure if I did well, but the DM called me the next day to offer a position. After reading more reviews as well as the employee handbook, I decided to decline. I really like the DM but the job just wasn't for me.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Family Video (Toledo, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

Walked in and asked if there was a job opportunity, was given a paper application, I returned it next day, was called in for a interview same day. The interview was amazing. However was interrupted by customers and phones. Was asked to take a test on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Described an experience managing a PR program implemented by you.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you network with other businesses to gain referrals.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video (Green Bay, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

This is a longgggg interview process. I gave them a hard copy of my application and the next day I got a phone call to set up an interview. I had to wait for a while because of a flow of customers, but I understand as customers should have the most priority. The store manager then took me to the back of the store and asked me some general questions. Then we set a date for the IQ test. It was about a week after my first interview and I was with one other girl. I found it easy but the timed part of it is by far the hardest part. Each section is timed, and that leaves almost no time to double check your answers. As far as how the test relates to the actual job, I totally get it. I took it with another girl who didn't even write any answers down she was so lost, and those aren't the kind of people you want working for you. Next she gave me my score (which has to be over 70%) and she set me up for the final interview with the district manager. That interview was probably five days after the test, so everything was kind of spaced out which I didn't like. Anyways, the manager was very nice and easy to talk to. He told me to expect a call in the next 24 hours regardless, and I got a call the very next day offering the job. Although I think the application process is too long, it will be good practice for future careers in a higher-stake setting.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in April 2015.

Interview

Easy. They look for personality and don't give two hoots about your qualifications. They ask illegal questions. But they're not super invasive ones. You have a store manager interview then district then regional. All very easy, all very unethcial. For a company that claims a family oriented atmosphere. It's the farthest thing from it.

Assistant Manager and/Or Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Video (Greenwood, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

After completing the initial online application process -- which was refreshingly simple, basic and succinct -- received a call directly from the store location to arrange an interview. Was given a name of the mgr I would be meeting and we agreed on a day/time. I arrived dressed smartly ten minutes early only to discover the mgr assigned to interview me had "just left". So instead the manager on duty collected her notes and paperwork to handle the meeting herself. Although she did well to avoid appearing inconvenienced or uninterested, at the same time I sensed that she was completely taken aback and perhaps a little annoyed. The interview was rather rushed and I was not given an opportunity to ask any questions. Instead she told me they had numerous candidates to consider and that I would only be contacted IF I was selected to participate in the testing phase. Right then I knew I was not given a fair shake and would not be hearing back from them (gut feeling). As a well-traveled professional who is looking for a mid-career change to customer service (from my degree in graphic design), I felt wholly disrespected and unfairly treated. I love movies, retail, customer service, and feel confident I would have been a good employee for Family Video. And one last note. During my job search, a friend upstate encouraged me to apply for FV. He had met w/ his local store several yrs prior and was offered a Mgr spot immediately. The only drawback was that FV prefers managers who don't mind being relocated. This was not possible for his family situation so he declined their offer -- however that wasn't a hurdle for myself. I would have welcomed the prospect of moving for work, and told my interviewer the same.

Interview Questions

• What was the 'turning point' in your life?   1 Answer

Sales Ascociate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

If your interview is with the store manager, you will have to meet the district manager before being hired. EASY interview. As long as you dress appropriately and are FUN and outgoing, you will get the job. That's all they want is a personality! Questions are easy. Test is a little much but if your brush up on basic math you'll do fine. Some people say it's totally ridiculous but you DO use most of the skills at the actual job. Its not just cashing out customers! Its sales, inventories, alphabetizing, and spacing the shelves is like a puzzle and does require some math!

Interview Questions

• What was a turning point in your life and why? Who is your mentor and why? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are your hobbies? What is your greatest achievement ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.