Family Video

156 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Shift Leader Interview

Shift Leader

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview Details – I met with the store manager at a different location. Went to the district manager and had a one on one interview and then met with the district manager of the store I was going to be in at a group interview.

Interview Question – If you know customer service no question was difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Shoot high and you will fall lower no matter what

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Customer Service/Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – I put in an application online. Within a week, the manager gave me a call and we set up for an interview. It was set during an open interviews day (which most stores have once a month). Both the assistant and general manager were there and asked me a few questions. It was pretty much a conversation which made it easy. I was scheduled for a testing day. Took that. Passed. The last step was to be approved by the regional manager. It went well and I'm still there! It's awesome. I was later told that they try to look for people with a personality because that's important to the company.

Interview Question – What has had the biggest impact on your life?   View Answer

Video Store Clerk Interview

Video Store Clerk
Canton, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and shortly received a phone call to set up an interview. The interview was a pretty standard get to know you interview with a store manager. I was surprised to hear there were two more parts to the interview. The next step (if it went well with the first manager) was to take a test. The test was similar to the ACT and took an hour to complete (each part had a time limit). Honestly the test was a lot harder than expected. I passed and all, but I am in school; for someone who has been out of school for a while it may be difficult. The test had alphabetizing, arithmetic, word problems, reading comprehension, vocabulary, and spelling. It honestly seemed way overkill for a video store clerk job. I also had to take it in an extremely uncomfortable setting; I sat right next to the register (tv's were on and customers were checking videos out) with just a clipboard in an uncomfortable chair. I then passed their test and was called in for a final interview; I guess I did not jive well with the manager for the final interview because I did not get an offer. I was kind of ticked I had spent all that time there for the interview process. The questions were not too difficult, I had just not expected them for this kind of position.

Interview Question – What is your greatest fear?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in February 2014.

Interview Details – I initially applied online. They called me about a week later to schedule an interview. When I arrived for my interview the manager wasn't there, she either forgot about it or didn't care (didn't leave me with a good first impression either way). Fortunately, the district manager was in the store at the time so I was able to continue with her instead (normally you would interview first with the store manager and then with the district manager, I just got to skip the first interview). She asked basic questions about why I wanted to work there, about myself personally, past work experience, my education...the questions you would expect to be asked. It was very informal and probably only lasted 10 minutes at most. Just be sure to be outgoing, friendly, and smile a lot!

She then asked me to come back a few days later to take a skills test. There were around 10 timed sections that covered a range of topics - math, alphabetizing, number "puzzles", spelling, reading comprehension, etc. Each section had some difficult questions that I don't think they expect you to get right (square root of a 5 digit number for example), but overall it isn't an impossible test to pass. However, a large portion of the questions had nothing to do with anything you would encounter working at a video store. The assistant manager graded it in a couple minutes, told me I passed (at least 70% to pass), and hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – What is the square root of a five digit number?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Lower Burrell, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in May 2011.

Interview Details – It's just an easy conversation. Be sure to keep eye contact and smile!

Interview Question – Tell me a little bit about yourself?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called back a few days later for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager in one of the aisles of the store, not an office or anything. The manager was very nice and asked basic questions like, "Tell me about yourself." No hard questions at all, it was about a five minute interview. She told me after this interview I have to meet with the district manager, which she said could take up to three weeks and if I don't hear back from her by then she said to, "Definitely call her back." I waited three weeks and called back. She answered and said that they had already picked another candidate. I sort of feel dumb now thinking everything went very well and that she really liked me and just thought that was a normal process. If you are desperately in need of a job (like I am) do not wait around for them, even if they made you feel like they really liked you.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, asked about myself and past job experience.   Answer Question

Columbus, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – After filling out an application you are scheduled to take a general knowledge test, brush up on your high school exams, then you interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – If they bring up what media you watch.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none, they told me I will work around 20 hours a week (which is really 10 or less) and felt proud that they offered more than minimum wage ($8, I'm rich)

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the store manager and the district manager and a math test in between the two interviews

Interview Question – Your biggest role model?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online via the site directly (they were not advertising that they were hiring) and received a call within a day or two! The initial interview was with the Store Manager in the Game Room of the store. She asked me only a handful of questions like "Tell me about yourself.", "What do you do in your free time?" and your answers kind of direct what they ask next. The first interview was all based on character. At the end of the interview, the store manager immediately scheduled me for a Pre-Employment test the following day. This test is honestly fairly difficult!! It consisted of somewhere around 8 parts and dealt with math, story problems, spelling, alphabetizing, catching errors in number and letter strings and speed. Each section of the test is timed. If you pass this test, you will get a call within a day or two and will be scheduled to meet with the District Manager in the store with another manager also (for me it was the same manager that administered my test). This interview is similar but you obviously need to win over the DM as he makes all final decisions. I was told I would know after two days but did not receive a call, so I called the Store Manager and told her I was just following up on the status of my interviews and she called the DM and returned my call with a job offer that day.

Interview Question – Most all questions are based on character, customer service experience or skills, and how you would deal with customers. The company is very customer service oriented and is looking for social, positive and independent people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate as I needed a job regardless. However, the DM gave me several opportunites to ask and I think they are willing to negotiate to some extent.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Onalaska, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Video in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interview is just like any other however they use what is called the stacking method. they will ask about your home life, work experience, hobbies, mentor, family, five year plan, career goals, not necessarily in that order. If you get through the initial interview you will be given an aptitude test. after the aptitude tet you will interview again with the district manager for final approval.

Interview Question – The aptitude test is usually the most unexpected thing. honestly if you can't do well on it you most likely will not be that good at the job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – fair. they are competitve but you have to be brave enough to ask.