Family Video

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

2.6

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

All about personality not experience. They want to see that you are fun, outgoing, and generally get along well with people. The ideal candidate is a community college student (if part time) who was really cool in high school but peaked and can't get anything better. For a Manager they want a degree and flexibility. If you are reading this RUN! read reviews and you will understand.

Interview Questions
    No Negotiation, they lied about pay I was going to get and wouldn't tell me an exact number until pushed. When I attempted to negotiate they stopped me and said that's the offer take it or leave it.

Sales Interview

First, you have an interview with either the store manager, the assistant, or the manager in training. If they like you, you take a clerical test. You must pass the test with a 70%. If you pass, you meet the district manager, and they make the final say.

Interview Questions
    • The clerical test is timed and difficult. 2-3 math sections, no calculators allowed.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation available

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

I attended a group interview posted on a store billboard. Why not? The billboard said, "Hiring managers. No experience needed. Just smiles". I was the only intelligent one among the group, as I replied to the questions with professional, intelligent responses. The universal question, "Why do you want to work here?" was a breeze, of course. One girl responded with, "I like movies". Seriously? Why are you even here? As I shook the manager's hand, she said she'd call us back by 5 pm the next day. I received a call within 15 minutes of leaving the store. That was promising! They scheduled a testing session for me two days later. The test was difficult, requiring a comprehensive knowledge of college math. I understand being a manager should require more than a GED, but goodness, they were expecting high standards. I passed, interestingly enough, and they scheduled a third interview with the district managers two days later. I had to drive 40 minutes to meet the manager. That was inconvenient, but okay. Very nice lady, but as I finally got to ask the questions I needed, I realized something. This company was hiding some important facts. She basically told me that it would be extremely difficult to become a store manager anytime soon if I wasn't relocatable to anywhere in the United States. Seriously? I have a life, family, obligations. I can't just up and move anytime you want for 30,000 a year. I don't think so. Also, they wanted me to commute 30 minutes each direction a day. Assistant managers only make 11 dollars an hour and work the 44 hours minimum a week. I don't think so. I'm going to continue college so I don't have to work my butt off for barely above minimum wage.

Interview Questions
    • None of the interview question were difficult. The test was, however.   Answer Question

This company wasn't up front about their expectations. I wasn't about to commute an hour a day for a minimum wage job with incredibly bad hours.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Initial interview with a store manager asks basic questions about your home life, personal and professional goals. A test is given that is actually a bit of a challenge as it is timed and within the chaotic store. A second interview with a district manager does the same and then a third interview is offered with the regional manager who will ask slightly more difficult questions but no real curve balls.

Interview Questions
    • I was coming from the non-profit sector into Family video and they asked me why I thought I would be successful in the private sector after having spent time in non-profits. They continued the question to ask if I would feel fulfilled.   Answer Question
    They start everyone within the same base salary range below 30K

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Youngstown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Youngstown, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

I completed the online application after seeing a sign in front of a store stating that store managers earn $35-$40k per year. Less than 12 hours later, I received a phone call from the store I applied at, and they scheduled an interview for the following week.

When I arrived for my interview, I made small talk with the store manager, as she was checking movies back in and completing paperwork of some sort, which initially struck me as rude. I waited 10 minutes until she was finished before we started the interview. We walked into one of the aisle of movies and had more small talk: tell me about your hobbies and interests, who are your mentors, etc. Nothing that had anything to do with the position or their company. We were interrupted a handful of times when she had to stop the interview to go assist customers (apparently they didn't find it necessary to adequately staff their store). I waited patiently while the store manager chit chatted with customers long after their transaction was completed. I was tempted at one point to just leave, because my time didn't seem important to them. Very unprofessional in my opinion. At any rate, once we finally finished the interview she invited me to return to take an aptitude test, which was the next step in their hiring process. I scheduled the test for two days later.

I arrived to take the test and expected to it on a computer after having been told what the test would entail (alphabetizing, math, etc). The same store manager who interviewed me pulled up a chair right next to the check out and handed me a clipboard with the paper test. She informed me that she would time the different sections for me while helping customers (surprise, surprise). We started the test and went through each of the sections. While taking the test, there are movies playing, customers talking, phones ringing, etc. It was nerve wracking but I understood that if I couldn't take the test in that type of setting, I wouldn't be very effective at the job since that's what a normal day would look like. When I finished, the store manager said she would call me later that day after she had time to score my test and would let me know if I had passed or failed.

A few hours later, the store manager called and let me know I had passed. She then made arrangements to meet with the district manager, which was the final step in the hiring process. We scheduled that interview for two days later.

When I arrived for my final interview, I had a bunch of questions that I needed answered. At no point in the process had I been told a single job responsibility, nor had I been told what (if any) training would be done, etc. The district manager also met with me in the middle of an aisle in the store. He immediately started asking me questions about why I want to work for their company, if I would be willing to re-locate, if I enjoy sales, etc. After listening to a 15 minute speech about their company, it's history and it's financial value, I was finally afforded the opportunity to ask my burning questions. I asked about salary, benefits and the opportunity for growth within the company. I was informed that the salary did NOT start at $35k as their sign had stated - I would start at $28k, and as a manager in training. I would have the opportunity to earn bonuses, which could potentially increase my yearly salary to $35k. During that training program (he could not tell me how long the training would last) I would be taught various responsibilities and would be expected to teach them back to district or regional managers to prove my competency. I asked about benefits and when they would begin - he was unable to answer that question for me. This is the final step in an interview process - anyone with half a brain is going to ask these types of questions - he should've been prepared to give me solid answers. Finally, when I asked about growth within the company, I was informed that I would be relocated to other stores whose needs best fit my skills (basically, if I'm great with increasing revenue, they could send me to middle-of-nowhere-Montana to help a particular store). I would have no opportunity to stay in the area AND work for their company. I was told that I would get a phone call in the next two days or so if they wanted to offer me the position.

They called me back two days later, and I didn't answer. I had already made up my mind that I was not interested in working for the type of company I perceived them to be. In addition to the ridiculously low salary for the expectations of the job, the unclear benefits, unclear training program, and the lack of opportunity to grow with the company in my hometown, I knew the job would be one I'd hate. Since their initial phone call and offer, they have called me 3 more times and left voicemails. Part of me contemplated just answering and explaining my reason for declining the offer, but frankly, I felt I'd be wasting my breath.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were "difficult" - they were more "random" than anything... tell me about your parents, what are your hobbies, who is your mentor?   Answer Question

To be honest, I didn't think it was fair whatsoever that a manager of a store (with so much responsibility and expectations) only makes a base salary of $28k. There is the opportunity to earn more than that in bonuses, but those aren't based on the quality of your work, they're based on the sales of the store. I didn't like the idea that my quality of living would be based off of how well or how poorly my staff would do their jobs.

Secondly, I was given 0 information about what type of benefits I could expect. Their website states that all full time employees receive health benefits, but when I asked when those would start, I was given no answer. That was unacceptable. Benefits are one of the most important things (especially nowadays) that job seekers inquire about.

Finally, I didn't like the idea that I would have no say in my future within the company. If they wanted to relocate me, they could. And if I wanted to keep a job, I would have no choice but to move. That lifestyle may be a good fit for some people, but as a young woman interested in starting a family soon, it wasn't for me.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Went into store and filled out an application and then was scheduled for an interview later that week. 2 days later had the interview. It lasted about 10-15 minutes. I was asked about my customer service skills and why I wanted to work for them. It seemed like I really hit it off with the manager. I was told that I would be called by 5pm the next day if they were interested in me. I was also told that the next step would be an assessment and interview with district manager.

Interview Questions
    • Just behavior questions inquiring about how you handle customers   Answer Question

Full Time Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

I walked in just to ask for an application but the store manager struck up a conversation with me (sort of felt like I was being interviewed right on the spot). Asked some person questions. After all was said and done he offered an interview that night.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked: where was I born, what was my relationship with my siblings, what were the ages of my siblings, what brought me to where I live now, where do I see myself in 5 years, what was my greatest achievement, and who was my mentor. The most difficult part was the assessment test, which took an hour to complete. The math problems were ridiculously hard, multiplying fractions and finding the square root of outrageous numbers. Also the word problems were NO cake walk.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal and I thought I was interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. There were 2-3 positions available and 11 or more people interviewing for those positions.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal, I thought I would be interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. No really tough questions. There were more than 11 people interviewing and 2-3 positions open.

Part Time Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

I had to call a few times to actually talk to a manager about my application, then I was offered an interview. I was interviewed by an assistant manager. She seemed very nice and laid back. Also, easy going. The interview took place in the middle of the store, and I thought that was a bit strange. I was expecting something more private. The questions were just about what I like to do in my free time, what I'm going to school for, and why I want to work at Family Video. She said that the hiring process included a comprehension test. She said she was doing call backs on Monday. It's Monday