Family Video Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.6

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in August 2014.

Interview

I saw a sign asking for recent college graduates to apply to become a manager(and claimed they offered 32K with benefits, which is stretching the truth quite a bit). I was a recent college graduate and decided to give it a shot because I was having a tough time finding a job in my field. I applied online, and within a day I was scheduled for an interview.

I went in for the initial interview with the Store Manager and we had a very short interview using the "stacking method" as referenced several times before. After that I took the aptitude test and passed "with flying colors". I then interviewed with the District Manager(30 minutes later than I was scheduled because she was late) and she really started pushing the point that I would have to relocate some place across the country. In retrospect, maybe she was trying to push me away, but I told her that I was willing to relocate "within a reasonable distance". She then started playing semantics and asking what a "reasonable distance" would be, and I explained my preferences. I thought that interview went quite well, and she set me up with an interview with the Regional Manager at a local restaurant, which I found rather odd, but agreed. He also showed up late, though only about 15 minutes so. We had a nice conversation, and I thought it went rather well. He told me that I would hear something the next day, and that if I didn't hear anything, to give the District Manager a call. I didn't hear anything the next day, so I called the District Manager and she informed me that they "weren't going to move forward". When I politely asked why, she responded with "I don't know, I wasn't there, but [the RM] has decided not to move forward" which I know is not true. I'm sure there was discussion, but I respect that they don't want to give out the reasons. They probably had concerns about my ability to control a staff because I don't come across as a very assertive person. I had the same doubts myself, but I'm sure I could have handled it.

Overall, I was disappointed in the entire process. The interviews are held in the aisles of the store(except for my RM interview) and they are very brief. They don't really ask you any questions that pertain to the job, but keep referencing the fact that "there's a lot more than meets the eye". When I asked the District Manager to provide a specific detail that makes it more difficult than it seems, she couldn't give me an answer. The aptitude test also has next to nothing to do with the actual job. Why would I ever need to know the square root of 2046 to manage a video store?

I'm disappointed that I wasn't offered the position, but it is probably for the best. The salary(24K starting) is not nearly enough to convince most people to move across the country. I was going to do the training for about 6 months, see where they wanted me to move, and then make a decision. You can hardly afford to live in an apartment on that salary after taxes.

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video (Plainfield, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a joke. The first interview I had to do the interview in the middle of the store While customers were walking by. The second interview I had to take a timed clerical test that was right by the cashier station and by the disk cleaner that beeped the whole entire time. The sections were timed 2-5 minutes long. They should have a room just for doing interviews and test.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in August 2014.

Interview

I had a total of three interviews with this company. They even made me take a long test at one of the interviews. They only wanted to hire me part-time at $7.75/hr. That is ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

The pay was too low for what they wanted me to do.

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austintown, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Family Video (Austintown, OH).

Interview

Interview was typical, they asked the normal questions that you would get in an interview. However they make you take this test. A lot of hard math questions were involved which makes sense for the job, late fees are a part of your every day life there, as well as inventory.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

All about personality not experience. They want to see that you are fun, outgoing, and generally get along well with people. The ideal candidate is a community college student (if part time) who was really cool in high school but peaked and can't get anything better. For a Manager they want a degree and flexibility. If you are reading this RUN! read reviews and you will understand.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation, they lied about pay I was going to get and wouldn't tell me an exact number until pushed. When I attempted to negotiate they stopped me and said that's the offer take it or leave it.

Sales Interview

Interview

First, you have an interview with either the store manager, the assistant, or the manager in training. If they like you, you take a clerical test. You must pass the test with a 70%. If you pass, you meet the district manager, and they make the final say.

Interview Questions

• The clerical test is timed and difficult. 2-3 math sections, no calculators allowed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation available

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Family Video (Tulsa, OK) in July 2014.

Interview

I attended a group interview posted on a store billboard. Why not? The billboard said, "Hiring managers. No experience needed. Just smiles". I was the only intelligent one among the group, as I replied to the questions with professional, intelligent responses. The universal question, "Why do you want to work here?" was a breeze, of course. One girl responded with, "I like movies". Seriously? Why are you even here? As I shook the manager's hand, she said she'd call us back by 5 pm the next day. I received a call within 15 minutes of leaving the store. That was promising! They scheduled a testing session for me two days later. The test was difficult, requiring a comprehensive knowledge of college math. I understand being a manager should require more than a GED, but goodness, they were expecting high standards. I passed, interestingly enough, and they scheduled a third interview with the district managers two days later. I had to drive 40 minutes to meet the manager. That was inconvenient, but okay. Very nice lady, but as I finally got to ask the questions I needed, I realized something. This company was hiding some important facts. She basically told me that it would be extremely difficult to become a store manager anytime soon if I wasn't relocatable to anywhere in the United States. Seriously? I have a life, family, obligations. I can't just up and move anytime you want for 30,000 a year. I don't think so. Also, they wanted me to commute 30 minutes each direction a day. Assistant managers only make 11 dollars an hour and work the 44 hours minimum a week. I don't think so. I'm going to continue college so I don't have to work my butt off for barely above minimum wage.

Interview Questions

• None of the interview question were difficult. The test was, however.   Answer Question

This company wasn't up front about their expectations. I wasn't about to commute an hour a day for a minimum wage job with incredibly bad hours.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Initial interview with a store manager asks basic questions about your home life, personal and professional goals. A test is given that is actually a bit of a challenge as it is timed and within the chaotic store. A second interview with a district manager does the same and then a third interview is offered with the regional manager who will ask slightly more difficult questions but no real curve balls.

Interview Questions

• I was coming from the non-profit sector into Family video and they asked me why I thought I would be successful in the private sector after having spent time in non-profits. They continued the question to ask if I would feel fulfilled.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They start everyone within the same base salary range below 30K

Anonymous Employee in Youngstown, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video (Youngstown, OH) in July 2014.

Interview

I completed the online application after seeing a sign in front of a store stating that store managers earn $35-$40k per year. Less than 12 hours later, I received a phone call from the store I applied at, and they scheduled an interview for the following week.

When I arrived for my interview, I made small talk with the store manager, as she was checking movies back in and completing paperwork of some sort, which initially struck me as rude. I waited 10 minutes until she was finished before we started the interview. We walked into one of the aisle of movies and had more small talk: tell me about your hobbies and interests, who are your mentors, etc. Nothing that had anything to do with the position or their company. We were interrupted a handful of times when she had to stop the interview to go assist customers (apparently they didn't find it necessary to adequately staff their store). I waited patiently while the store manager chit chatted with customers long after their transaction was completed. I was tempted at one point to just leave, because my time didn't seem important to them. Very unprofessional in my opinion. At any rate, once we finally finished the interview she invited me to return to take an aptitude test, which was the next step in their hiring process. I scheduled the test for two days later.

I arrived to take the test and expected to it on a computer after having been told what the test would entail (alphabetizing, math, etc). The same store manager who interviewed me pulled up a chair right next to the check out and handed me a clipboard with the paper test. She informed me that she would time the different sections for me while helping customers (surprise, surprise). We started the test and went through each of the sections. While taking the test, there are movies playing, customers talking, phones ringing, etc. It was nerve wracking but I understood that if I couldn't take the test in that type of setting, I wouldn't be very effective at the job since that's what a normal day would look like. When I finished, the store manager said she would call me later that day after she had time to score my test and would let me know if I had passed or failed.

A few hours later, the store manager called and let me know I had passed. She then made arrangements to meet with the district manager, which was the final step in the hiring process. We scheduled that interview for two days later.

When I arrived for my final interview, I had a bunch of questions that I needed answered. At no point in the process had I been told a single job responsibility, nor had I been told what (if any) training would be done, etc. The district manager also met with me in the middle of an aisle in the store. He immediately started asking me questions about why I want to work for their company, if I would be willing to re-locate, if I enjoy sales, etc. After listening to a 15 minute speech about their company, it's history and it's financial value, I was finally afforded the opportunity to ask my burning questions. I asked about salary, benefits and the opportunity for growth within the company. I was informed that the salary did NOT start at $35k as their sign had stated - I would start at $28k, and as a manager in training. I would have the opportunity to earn bonuses, which could potentially increase my yearly salary to $35k. During that training program (he could not tell me how long the training would last) I would be taught various responsibilities and would be expected to teach them back to district or regional managers to prove my competency. I asked about benefits and when they would begin - he was unable to answer that question for me. This is the final step in an interview process - anyone with half a brain is going to ask these types of questions - he should've been prepared to give me solid answers. Finally, when I asked about growth within the company, I was informed that I would be relocated to other stores whose needs best fit my skills (basically, if I'm great with increasing revenue, they could send me to middle-of-nowhere-Montana to help a particular store). I would have no opportunity to stay in the area AND work for their company. I was told that I would get a phone call in the next two days or so if they wanted to offer me the position.

They called me back two days later, and I didn't answer. I had already made up my mind that I was not interested in working for the type of company I perceived them to be. In addition to the ridiculously low salary for the expectations of the job, the unclear benefits, unclear training program, and the lack of opportunity to grow with the company in my hometown, I knew the job would be one I'd hate. Since their initial phone call and offer, they have called me 3 more times and left voicemails. Part of me contemplated just answering and explaining my reason for declining the offer, but frankly, I felt I'd be wasting my breath.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were "difficult" - they were more "random" than anything... tell me about your parents, what are your hobbies, who is your mentor?   Answer Question

To be honest, I didn't think it was fair whatsoever that a manager of a store (with so much responsibility and expectations) only makes a base salary of $28k. There is the opportunity to earn more than that in bonuses, but those aren't based on the quality of your work, they're based on the sales of the store. I didn't like the idea that my quality of living would be based off of how well or how poorly my staff would do their jobs.

Secondly, I was given 0 information about what type of benefits I could expect. Their website states that all full time employees receive health benefits, but when I asked when those would start, I was given no answer. That was unacceptable. Benefits are one of the most important things (especially nowadays) that job seekers inquire about.

Finally, I didn't like the idea that I would have no say in my future within the company. If they wanted to relocate me, they could. And if I wanted to keep a job, I would have no choice but to move. That lifestyle may be a good fit for some people, but as a young woman interested in starting a family soon, it wasn't for me.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Family Video (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2014.

Interview

Went into store and filled out an application and then was scheduled for an interview later that week. 2 days later had the interview. It lasted about 10-15 minutes. I was asked about my customer service skills and why I wanted to work for them. It seemed like I really hit it off with the manager. I was told that I would be called by 5pm the next day if they were interested in me. I was also told that the next step would be an assessment and interview with district manager.

Interview Questions

• Just behavior questions inquiring about how you handle customers   Answer Question