Family Video

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in September 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application the day after I turned 18. 3 weeks later, they called me back and I went to a group interview. The group interview had 2 questions and was basically to see personalities. The two questions were "why family video?" and "what do you do in your spare time?" Then, I was called back for a one-on-one with the manager, in which she asked me several questions, like "Give me three words to describe yourself." and easy things like that. My interview with her was an easygoing conversation, after that I met with my district manager who asked about my biggest personal and professional successes and prior work experience/volunteer work. Overall, it took me a month after the initial interview to get hired.

Interview Question – At the time, I had no work experience and very little volunteer experience in high school, and the district manager really wanted someone with experience. He really kept asking about my volunteer work and expected me to stretch it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not have to negotiate. At that time, the company was still giving people fair wages and commission.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was the most unprofessional form of interviewing I had ever experienced. First of all I do not believe interviewing people on your sales floor is good for the interviewee or the customers. Some of the questions they asked were too personal and not business focused. They ask questions like what does your Mom and Dad do?! That was a question from the Regional Manager. Really some of these questions open them up to being sued for discrimination. I actually felt very uncomfortable and the 3rd interview and wanted to walk out but regretfully stuck it out. After having my schedule constantly changed, than working all closings back to back and having to come in the next morning at 8am for training I quit. This is the worst company to work for and the pay is horrible!!

Interview Question – Basically all of the questions were easy but VERY unprofessional and not business related.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation. They obviously are not looking to pay for good leadership.

Mount Vernon, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Family Video in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was given three interviews, made a 95% on the test and told that I would make a great addition to their team. I was told I would receive a call within a week telling me when to come in for training. After over a week I called the manager, who was not in and never called me back. After calling several more times and never being called back, a month passed from my interview and I gave up. Still haven't received a call!

Interview Question – It was exactly what you would expect from interviews.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was never told when to come in.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in January 2010.

Interview Details – They use a series of structured questions. What they are really looking for is personality and positive attitudes. Dress up even if you are going for part time work and shave.

Interview Question – I had a lot of people get emotional or have trouble answering this. "Tell me a major turning point in your life?" It is a very personal question that's why they ask it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Appleton, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Video in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was called within a week after applying online. The interview took place in the middle of the store with two chairs set up in the middle of an aisle. It was very loud and somewhat difficult to focus with all the televisons blaring all over the store. After the interview I was told I would receive a call later that evening. I never did so I waited a few more days and called the store. I was told by an employee that they would contact the manager. It's been about two weeks since the initial interview and I still haven't heard anything. I'm not impressed.

Interview Question – What was a turning point in your life?   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Interview goes through what Family Video calls the 'Stacking Method'. Should be asked about 1st job, followed by family, schooling, activities, greatest accomplishment, turning point in life, 5 year goal, and someone who was a mentor in your life. I always ended my interviews with why someone would want want to work for Family Video. All I ever looked for was a fun and exciting person who customers would enjoy interacting with.

Interview Question – There really are none, all questions are used to look at general attitude and outlook on life and work.   Answer Question

Rental Clerk Interview

Rental Clerk
Richmond, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in December 2009.

Interview Details – Applications submitted in person at store, preferably to a manager on duty. Store manager will schedule a face to face interview which happens in the store our outside. (not sitting in an office) If interview goes well, the applicant will schedule a time at the store to complete testing (which basically proves you can alphabetize, categorize, and organize words and text)

Interview Question – The manager will most likely be looking for why you want to work in a video store.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Starting hourly pay was around $8.

Very Difficult Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – I received a call for an interview. I went in and stood in an isle while they asked questions then I left. My second call was for a test. This test is stupid, its in the style of an ACT. You have to score 70% or higher to be hired in. I got another call for a time to meet the district manager. I went for that and we walked around and they asked more questions. Then rammed me with a million other things I had to try to remember.

Bloomington, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in April 2012.

Interview Details – There is one interview with the store manager. This interview is consists of basic get-to-know-you questions and customer service questions such as describe a time you went helped a customer. This interview is very laid back and conversational. After the first interview is a timed, basic intelligence test. It tests basic math skills, spelling, and reading comprehension. If this test is passed then there is a second interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – Describe a time you went above and beyond to help a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Part-timers start at minimum wage usually.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in July 2013.

Interview Details – If Family Video receives a good application, the manager or assistant manager will call to set up a first interview. If that goes well, they will schedule a timed test that includes reading, grammar, spelling, and math questions. If able to pass, one will have a final interview with the district manager. If then offered a position, one will have a thirty day trial period, after which there is an evaluation by the district manager to decide to keep said employee.

Interview Question – Applicants seem to have the most difficulty with passing the timed reading/math test. Passing for part-time positions is 65% and it is 75% for management positions.   Answer Question