Family Video

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.6

Part Time Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

I had to call a few times to actually talk to a manager about my application, then I was offered an interview. I was interviewed by an assistant manager. She seemed very nice and laid back. Also, easy going. The interview took place in the middle of the store, and I thought that was a bit strange. I was expecting something more private. The questions were just about what I like to do in my free time, what I'm going to school for, and why I want to work at Family Video. She said that the hiring process included a comprehension test. She said she was doing call backs on Monday. It's Monday

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Family Video.

Interview, super ridiculous test, and then another interview.....all on different days. Then wait 2 weeks to find out if you are hired, call them yourself to see if you are hired, find out you are hired and they want you, but not till next week, train for 4 hours, they forget you exists for a couple weeks and you forget what u learned, come back in after they finally call you, get treated like crap by manager and other employee........terrible experience, cannot wait for my next shift :( and all this for a minimum wage job.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions during interview but be aware they are looking for personality, not movie buffs.   Answer Question
    None.....you get what you get

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in June 2014.

I applied online. A few days later I got a call from the district manager for an interview. That went well, it was short and friendly. He scheduled me for a clerical test that I thought I failed but actually passed. I was told I had to meet with the regional manager and after about a week of runaround I got my interview. That was a little more professional albeit in the middle of the movie isles. I was told I'd hear something by the end of the next day. I never did hear back so at this point I'm saying they are passing on me even though I am more than qualified.

Interview Questions
    • What is the thing you are most proud of in your professional life? Least proud of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Youngstown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Youngstown, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in June 2014.

My first interview was at the front checkout desk, was very simple and easy. I was invited to take a "test" that was said to contain some math. When I arrived to take the test I was sat down in the open amongst the customers browsing and was timed for each section about 4-5 minutes. Most of the questions on the test are not overtly difficult but virtually needless in comparison to the needed so-called skill set to checkout videos. I passed the test and was offered a 2nd interview which I thought was tentative to being hired. The interview was given out in front of the store, which is a strange venue to say the least to conduct any interview. It went well, the majority of the subject matter was based on my experiences and what I thought about family video and why I would like to work there. The process in general was pretty unprofessional which is ironic because of the test involved. I awaited for a call for a week and contacted the store myself. Was told ,'you were not mentioned to me, so he must be persuing another candidate..." I have an Associates degree in IT, I'm working on my business management degree and I'm very outgoing and personable. I was a referral also so... If I can't land the job, what the hell do they want? Come on...

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you want to work for Family Video?   View Answer

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

I put in an application online. Within a week, the manager gave me a call and we set up for an interview. It was set during an open interviews day (which most stores have once a month). Both the assistant and general manager were there and asked me a few questions. It was pretty much a conversation which made it easy. I was scheduled for a testing day. Took that. Passed. The last step was to be approved by the regional manager. It went well and I'm still there! It's awesome. I was later told that they try to look for people with a personality because that's important to the company.

Interview Questions
    • What has had the biggest impact on your life?   View Answer

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshkosh, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshkosh, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Family Video in May 2014.

The hiring/interview process was rather generic. First you interview with the store manager followed interviews with the district and regional manager. The interview questions we nothing difficult and seemed to just be a way to get to know you. I did feel like my interviewer(s) talked more during the interview than I did. Having interviewed many individuals myself, this is something I try to avoid. However, I didn't mind in this case because it took me out of the spot light.

Interview Questions

It did not seem like the opportunity I was looking for at the time and I had just received two other offers to choose from.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, NE

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video.

After filling out an application you are scheduled to take a general knowledge test, brush up on your high school exams, then you interview with the district manager.

Interview Questions
    • If they bring up what media you watch.   View Answer
    There was none, they told me I will work around 20 hours a week (which is really 10 or less) and felt proud that they offered more than minimum wage ($8, I'm rich)

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Two interviews with the store manager and the district manager and a math test in between the two interviews

Shift Leader Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Fill out application either online or in the store...you will then receive a call to set up either a group interview or one-on-one with the store manager. Expect the normal questions (school, work exp etc), but there will be some off the wall questions too, such as who is your mentor (looking for a family member here-family values), hobbies/extra curriculars, things like that. If you do not dress for the interview do not expect a call back- this is extremely important to them. Be peppy and enthusiastic, these people tend to do very well in this company. Assuming you pass this initial interview, you'll move onto a pre-employment test. This is timed, and rigorous. No calculator allowed, though there are very difficult math portions. Must have a 75% to pass; this is where we lost the majority of our applicants. If you somehow pass this test, you will be called back for a THIRD interview, this time with the district manager. Hopefully he likes you, because he has the final say, ultimately. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    Most people start out at minimum wage because they don't know any better. I went in asking for $9/hour and received something close to that.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

I applied online via the site directly (they were not advertising that they were hiring) and received a call within a day or two! The initial interview was with the Store Manager in the Game Room of the store. She asked me only a handful of questions like "Tell me about yourself.", "What do you do in your free time?" and your answers kind of direct what they ask next. The first interview was all based on character. At the end of the interview, the store manager immediately scheduled me for a Pre-Employment test the following day. This test is honestly fairly difficult!! It consisted of somewhere around 8 parts and dealt with math, story problems, spelling, alphabetizing, catching errors in number and letter strings and speed. Each section of the test is timed. If you pass this test, you will get a call within a day or two and will be scheduled to meet with the District Manager in the store with another manager also (for me it was the same manager that administered my test). This interview is similar but you obviously need to win over the DM as he makes all final decisions. I was told I would know after two days but did not receive a call, so I called the Store Manager and told her I was just following up on the status of my interviews and she called the DM and returned my call with a job offer that day.

Interview Questions
    • Most all questions are based on character, customer service experience or skills, and how you would deal with customers. The company is very customer service oriented and is looking for social, positive and independent people.   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate as I needed a job regardless. However, the DM gave me several opportunites to ask and I think they are willing to negotiate to some extent.