Family Video Part Time Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, OH
Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview went great!!

Interview Questions
  • None during interview, but exam needs to be given without distractions.. I know the people that work there, had an advantage over me in that they took at different time when store was not so busy   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Part Time Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Family Video in May 2012.

I applied to Family Video online in the beginning of May. I returned from a trip a week later and I still had not heard from them. I decided to call them to make sure that they received my application. (This was a VERY good move on my part!) I happened to speak with one of the managers at the store and she said that it usually takes 10 days to receive an online application. She had already seen mine and had looked over it and was very interested in meeting me. She asked if I wanted an interview for 3pm that afternoon and I took the offer.

I met with the same manager that I was on the phone with and we went to video game area and chatted for a few minutes. They really want to see you respond quickly and help carry the conversation. They ask you simple interview questions, no right or wrong. I really connected with her and I felt like we would work fine together. She told me that she had a group the next day taking the Skills test and told me I could join them or come in later that afternoon. I was free so I went at four thirty the next day.

Now, the skills test is NOT the ACT or anything, but you have to be quick and be somewhat educated because there are seven sections or so that you have to finish within 4 to 6 minutes. Some are easier than others like finding the mistakes, categorizing movies by names, but there are some like math word problems, Sudoku like problems, and fractions that were a little more challenging. Just do the problems you know first and you can always go back and finish the incomplete sections later.

Something else about the test is that stores will range in their strictness, but I know that some of the people who were taking the test with me kept going even when the buzzer rang, and the manager was helping someone else. Just do your best and follow directions because you'll regret it later if you don't.

I was told they would call that evening and about three hours later she did! They said I had passed and did a great job. I was confident that I would pass, but was unsure of my grade. I was told that our District manager would be available in three days, so we scheduled an appointment for that Friday at three. She also said to dress very nice. (Good advice to follow!)

I met with the District Manager who was a man. I know that sounds weird, but I was nervous since I had only met with women thus far. He was very professional, but had a humorous way about him that put me at ease. We spoke about aspirations and more serious questions. I am going to school to study photography, so I brought a small portfolio (He really liked that!) Anything you can do to make you look good, yet show you're a team player is a bonus. He is the one who makes the final call. No matter how smart you were on the test or how much the store manager liked you, it doesn't matter. This is the big guy in charge and he will decide your fate as a Family Video employee. He said he'd let me know that night or Monday morning.

Being female, when he didn't call Friday night, I worried all weekend. The Monday morning came around and still heard nothing. Finally, around 6pm I received a wonderful call from him saying he had great news! And that the next day I could come in for orientation. Awesome!

I just started, but I love this job already. Just stay true to who you are and if you really want this kind of job, then you'll work hard enough to get it. I don't know why it's so difficult to get into the Family Video team, but it's worth it!

Part Time Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in December 2011.

Within 24 hours of applying, I received a call. They asked me the typical "why do you want to work here" questions and asked me to come in a few days later for an interview with one of the managers. I came in looking polished. We sat in one of the aisles and basically chatted it up. It was too obvious that this was just to see if I had an outgoing enough personality to move on. Then I was asked to come in the next day for a test. I was told the test is similar or equivalent to an aptitude test. After scoring at least a 70 on the test, I would meet with the District Manager who just so happen to be on vacation that week and would not be back until the following week. I am currently waiting for the DM to come back.

Interview Questions

As I'm doing research on the company now, seems like they're extremely careful and play a lot of mind games with you before you're even hired. For example, the questions that they ask you, they're not really listening to your actual answer but looking and listening for other key factors. This makes me think twice.

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!