Family Video Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.9

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Family Video in June 2015.

Interview

Delivered application, was taken aside by manager to look over for "open interview" style thing. We were on the sales floor, but it was a slow afternoon, so it was rather informal. The manager went through a couple questions while looking over my application, asked me three questions (below), then told me he would get back to me. Two days later I received a call and was told I "wasn't what they were looking for for the position" which I thought was rather odd for a company with such a high turnover rate. Person who called was not the same person who interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• How long have you worked in sales?   1 Answer
  • Why do you want to work with our company?   1 Answer
  • What kind of hours are you looking at?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Green Bay, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

This is a longgggg interview process. I gave them a hard copy of my application and the next day I got a phone call to set up an interview. I had to wait for a while because of a flow of customers, but I understand as customers should have the most priority. The store manager then took me to the back of the store and asked me some general questions. Then we set a date for the IQ test. It was about a week after my first interview and I was with one other girl. I found it easy but the timed part of it is by far the hardest part. Each section is timed, and that leaves almost no time to double check your answers. As far as how the test relates to the actual job, I totally get it. I took it with another girl who didn't even write any answers down she was so lost, and those aren't the kind of people you want working for you. Next she gave me my score (which has to be over 70%) and she set me up for the final interview with the district manager. That interview was probably five days after the test, so everything was kind of spaced out which I didn't like. Anyways, the manager was very nice and easy to talk to. He told me to expect a call in the next 24 hours regardless, and I got a call the very next day offering the job. Although I think the application process is too long, it will be good practice for future careers in a higher-stake setting.

Anonymous Employee in Lake Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Lake Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Worst interview experience ever. I arrived fifteen minutes early for my scheduled time and ended up waiting a bit longer than expected despite the fact that there were three other employees there and the store was minimally busy. The interview took place at the check out counter where both other employees and customers were standing talking. They then proceeded to have take a aptitude test that I was not previously warned about. They sat me in a tiny chair with a clipboard in the middle of one of the aisles with an egg timer to time each section. Keep in mind I am a business professional that was simply looking for a part time job on nights and weekends that was close to home. This was hands down the most unprofessional interview I have ever sat through. If you are by any means experienced this is not the place for you. Their employment process is obviously aimed towards teenagers and people who do not pride themselves on acting like a professional.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Issue is that the interview process is done while manager or interviewer is still assisting customers and in middle of store. There is no time dedicated to the interviewee at all. You are second or third. Even testing is done in middle of the noise and distraction of customers.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Nothing difficult or out of ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was told that if I wanted job I had to shave face, why, who knows. Took job but then saw how many guys they turned Away due to facial hair. Think they prefer young girls with low cut shirts. Because in my experience they are not held to dress code like the guys having to be in shirts and ties at times.

Anonymous Employee in Warsaw, IN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Family Video (Warsaw, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

I filled out my application and dropped it off in the store where I asked to speak to the manager to give to him. I told him a little about myself and he seemed interested in hiring me. Since I have a full time job already, and a part time job on top of that, I explained when I would be available to work and I would need two weeks notice to quit my second job. I had an "official" interview the next day where we went against the back wall of the store and he asked me random questions. (A little unprofessional, but hey, its a video store, right?) So far, so good. Or so I thought. I was informed there would be a basic competency test to take before I could be considered. Having a Bachelors degree and over 6 years of sales experience, I thought it would be a breeze. Little did I know, it was harder than the SAT! I was given 3 min to alphabetize, 3 to correct errors and 6 min to do over 20 questions of math. This included long division, multiplication, division and multiplying fractions, etc which I haven't touched since high school. I was so overwhelmed by the timing of the test, the busy atmosphere, (right in the front, mind you) the difficulty of the questions and frustrated by the absolute irrelevance of the test that I gave up at that point, to which there was at least 10 more pages in the packet. I cannot imagine anyone passing with something less of a math degree with an incredibly high reading comprehension. I also cannot imagine anyone that intelligent wanting to work at $8/ hr. I have since read other reviews backing my experience that it astounds me this horrible hiring process is still in effect and that no one has sued them for unlawful discrimination of people with math, reading or spelling disabilities. I don't have those disabilities and I didn't feel I would be able to pass it! I wish there was a way to contact the people who created and implemented this test into practice and tell them what awful people they are and I hope they go out of business soon.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

The interview was done during an open interview date. It was based on the stacking method. Very simple and non-stressful. Second part is a 45 minute test, which deals with math, spelling, synonymms, filing, and problem solving.

Anonymous Employee in Broadview Heights, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Broadview Heights, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and as soon as I finished the application, I got a confirmation email that they had received my application. About 3-4 days later I got a call asking me to come in for an interview the following day. I arrived to the interview and was first asked easy questions like "What are your hobbies?" and "Tell me about yourself" I really thought I did a great job on this part because I am a movie fanatic. I spend most of my free time watching movies and it has always been a passion of mine to learn more about the actors, the stories behind the films, directors, etc. BUT Family Video has no interest on what your knowledge of movies or video games or anything like that is. It is the least of their worries even though it's a Family Video Store... this has left me very disappointed. Next the manager that interviewed me asked me about my previous jobs and when I mentioned I had left my last job because at the moment I was going to be starting college in the Fall instead of the Spring and although she seemed to understand that she didn't seem to understand my other reason which was that I would either get 0-2 HOURS of work a week. She responded to me by saying "Well, isn't some hours better than no hours?" I felt very uncomfortable answering this because I don't see why anyone would stay at a job where there are weeks they don't even get hours and when they do they only get 2. 4 If I was lucky. Nonetheless, I answered "Yes, I do believe that is true. But like I mentioned before, I had plans to attend a University and had to put in my end date." (No attitude in the way I said this at all. Next, I was asked if I had 45 minutes. I knew what was coming thanks to this website but was absolutely blown away by the test itself. She told me each section was timed but didn't tell me how much time I had for each. It seemed to range from "4 minutes and 30 seconds" to "Seven minutes" The test asked RIDICULOUS questions. The math sections, the Sudoku like section (which I have never really done much before so found this to be a little more time consuming) I did quite good on the organization parts of the quiz and the basic math, all things that would make sense for the job. But that wasn't good enough. I did not score high enough on their test, I believe partially because the entire thing was making me nervous and I didn't get to fill in a lot of the answers since I am used to taking a little more time on questions than I was given. I left the store and not even 20 minutes after leaving I was called and told they would not be furthering my interview process (because yes there would have been more) because of my low score. I felt humiliated and I am afraid to ever rent a movie there again, which is a shame because I loved it so much but the interview was very bad and left me feeling ashamed of my speed with tests and even my lack of knowledge on a lot of the questions. *I'd also like to add that I found the manager that interviewed me to be VERY unprofessional. She had her iPhone on loud the entire time I was taking the test. (In the middle of the store) She received many texts while I took the test and I found that she didn't even put her phone on silent or vibrate to be rude if she was going to text the entire time. She even had a personal phone call that lasted at least 5 minutes, I found myself concentrating on not only the test but her conversation since it was about hiring people and how they are having such a difficult time doing so. (Maybe if their hiring process wasn't so ridiculous it wouldn't be that hard) Her personal conversation also was about her plans for vacation and how she is stressed and was really rather rude in my opinion. There is already a movie on in the store at all times, she has enough entertainment. LASTLY. Another kid interview after me, I am assuming he may have not had the job since Family Video has plastered their store now (about a week after my interview) with OPEN INTERVIEW signs. I really think Family Video could have been a great job, so maybe I am just bitter at the process but I would just suggest they concentrate more on just organization skills, people skills, movie/video game knowledge, cash register knowledge, and money handling knowledge.

Interview Questions

• The ACT Style Test I had to take to work at a Family Video store and how they were more worried about how I am at long division in a short amount of time than my knowledge on how to use a cash register or on films or video games.   Answer Question
    • "What is 24% of 546?" Also make sure you have time to do the other 10 math questions that are similar and a few a little easier than this question in 5 minutes.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal and I thought I was interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. There were 2-3 positions available and 11 or more people interviewing for those positions.

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Video (Wichita, KS) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal, I thought I would be interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. No really tough questions. There were more than 11 people interviewing and 2-3 positions open.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chillicothe, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Chillicothe, OH) in March 2014.

Interview

I was applying to a new store so it was a large open space with about 20 people scattered around sitting on the floor. We all took a timed exam with all kinds of difficult math questions. You couldn't use a calculator or anything. Later that night I got a phone call saying that my score was the highest of everyone in the room and that me and two others were the only ones who passed. It was way too difficult for a video store. Many people who should've gotten hired didn't just because they weren't good at math. I'm usually awful at math, but I have wonderful people skills and I'm very creative. I'm not really sure how I managed to pass.