Family Video

Getting the Interview

30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lower Burrell, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in May 2011.

Interview Details – It's just an easy conversation. Be sure to keep eye contact and smile!

Interview Question – Tell me a little bit about yourself?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called back a few days later for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager in one of the aisles of the store, not an office or anything. The manager was very nice and asked basic questions like, "Tell me about yourself." No hard questions at all, it was about a five minute interview. She told me after this interview I have to meet with the district manager, which she said could take up to three weeks and if I don't hear back from her by then she said to, "Definitely call her back." I waited three weeks and called back. She answered and said that they had already picked another candidate. I sort of feel dumb now thinking everything went very well and that she really liked me and just thought that was a normal process. If you are desperately in need of a job (like I am) do not wait around for them, even if they made you feel like they really liked you.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, asked about myself and past job experience.   Answer Question

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Family Video in January 2013.

Interview Details – I've been interviewed by the company more than once. They'll call anyone that applies in for an interview, seeing as they are always hiring. After the first interview you may be chosen to come in for a math quiz, the quiz is sectioned and timed and there was one other person there doing it as well so it almost felt like a competition of sorts. The place is very clean cut and old fashioned, so it seems. All of the employees seem to be required to wear business casual attire. (It's a video store!) No long hair if you're a guy, no facial hair. They don't seem to care about prior experience when it comes to movies, which they should. They will ask you multiple questions that don't even apply to work in general. I've made it past the math test, but never past the DM interview after it.

Interview Question – Who is your greatest influence?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Mount Vernon, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Family Video in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was given three interviews, made a 95% on the test and told that I would make a great addition to their team. I was told I would receive a call within a week telling me when to come in for training. After over a week I called the manager, who was not in and never called me back. After calling several more times and never being called back, a month passed from my interview and I gave up. Still haven't received a call!

Interview Question – It was exactly what you would expect from interviews.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was never told when to come in.

Appleton, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Video in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was called within a week after applying online. The interview took place in the middle of the store with two chairs set up in the middle of an aisle. It was very loud and somewhat difficult to focus with all the televisons blaring all over the store. After the interview I was told I would receive a call later that evening. I never did so I waited a few more days and called the store. I was told by an employee that they would contact the manager. It's been about two weeks since the initial interview and I still haven't heard anything. I'm not impressed.

Interview Question – What was a turning point in your life?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – I received a call for an interview. I went in and stood in an isle while they asked questions then I left. My second call was for a test. This test is stupid, its in the style of an ACT. You have to score 70% or higher to be hired in. I got another call for a time to meet the district manager. I went for that and we walked around and they asked more questions. Then rammed me with a million other things I had to try to remember.

Bloomington, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in April 2012.

Interview Details – There is one interview with the store manager. This interview is consists of basic get-to-know-you questions and customer service questions such as describe a time you went helped a customer. This interview is very laid back and conversational. After the first interview is a timed, basic intelligence test. It tests basic math skills, spelling, and reading comprehension. If this test is passed then there is a second interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – Describe a time you went above and beyond to help a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Part-timers start at minimum wage usually.

Wooster, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is broken down in to 3 steps. The first interview, you go in and talk to the employees, ( I believe it's to see if you fit in well there. ) and if you act like yourself (yet respectful) and let your personality shine through you'll do fine. The second part of this process is a test. It is pretty difficult, with only 45 minutes to take. The test consists of math (fractions, a sudoku-like puzzle, and square roots), some alphabetizing, and spelling and such. This test is basically used to ween out those who cannot competently and quickly think on their feet. You need to pass with at least a 70% to even get a call back for the third interview. As a 18 year old high schooler, it wasn't that hard for me since it's still fresh in my brain. I suggest studying up on your math. The third and final process of the interviews is an interview with the nearest district manager. During this, remember to dress professionally, be polite, but most importantly, let your personality stand out positively. The district manager is really going to judge you the first moment you shake their hand and you begin the process. They're looking for someone to represent the store, so you need to make sure you can show why you're the best choice!

Interview Question – They weren't really difficult, I got "Who is your role model?" and "Where do you see yourself in five years?" The most challenging one I think I was asked was the question "Why do you want to work for this company?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was simply given a minimum wage salary.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Applied online, waited a week and went in to see what was going on. The manager wasn't there so I came in the next day when he was there and gave me an interview the next day. After the interview, I took their competence test that they give. After that test I had an interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – How would your friends describe you?   Answer Question

Marion, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview Details – interview was short and sweet...about 10 minutes. one on one withthe manager, two chairs,in the video game section.

Interview Question – as simple as is sounds, the most difficult question was,"tell me about yourself."   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Family Video

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Video Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Family Video employees and interview candidates.