Family Video Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.8

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Broadview Heights, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broadview Heights, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

I applied online and as soon as I finished the application, I got a confirmation email that they had received my application. About 3-4 days later I got a call asking me to come in for an interview the following day.

I arrived to the interview and was first asked easy questions like "What are your hobbies?" and "Tell me about yourself" I really thought I did a great job on this part because I am a movie fanatic. I spend most of my free time watching movies and it has always been a passion of mine to learn more about the actors, the stories behind the films, directors, etc. BUT Family Video has no interest on what your knowledge of movies or video games or anything like that is. It is the least of their worries even though it's a Family Video Store... this has left me very disappointed. Next the manager that interviewed me asked me about my previous jobs and when I mentioned I had left my last job because at the moment I was going to be starting college in the Fall instead of the Spring and although she seemed to understand that she didn't seem to understand my other reason which was that I would either get 0-2 HOURS of work a week. She responded to me by saying "Well, isn't some hours better than no hours?" I felt very uncomfortable answering this because I don't see why anyone would stay at a job where there are weeks they don't even get hours and when they do they only get 2. 4 If I was lucky. Nonetheless, I answered "Yes, I do believe that is true. But like I mentioned before, I had plans to attend a University and had to put in my end date." (No attitude in the way I said this at all.

Next, I was asked if I had 45 minutes. I knew what was coming thanks to this website but was absolutely blown away by the test itself. She told me each section was timed but didn't tell me how much time I had for each. It seemed to range from "4 minutes and 30 seconds" to "Seven minutes" The test asked RIDICULOUS questions. The math sections, the Sudoku like section (which I have never really done much before so found this to be a little more time consuming) I did quite good on the organization parts of the quiz and the basic math, all things that would make sense for the job. But that wasn't good enough. I did not score high enough on their test, I believe partially because the entire thing was making me nervous and I didn't get to fill in a lot of the answers since I am used to taking a little more time on questions than I was given.

I left the store and not even 20 minutes after leaving I was called and told they would not be furthering my interview process (because yes there would have been more) because of my low score. I felt humiliated and I am afraid to ever rent a movie there again, which is a shame because I loved it so much but the interview was very bad and left me feeling ashamed of my speed with tests and even my lack of knowledge on a lot of the questions.

*I'd also like to add that I found the manager that interviewed me to be VERY unprofessional. She had her iPhone on loud the entire time I was taking the test. (In the middle of the store) She received many texts while I took the test and I found that she didn't even put her phone on silent or vibrate to be rude if she was going to text the entire time. She even had a personal phone call that lasted at least 5 minutes, I found myself concentrating on not only the test but her conversation since it was about hiring people and how they are having such a difficult time doing so. (Maybe if their hiring process wasn't so ridiculous it wouldn't be that hard) Her personal conversation also was about her plans for vacation and how she is stressed and was really rather rude in my opinion. There is already a movie on in the store at all times, she has enough entertainment.

LASTLY. Another kid interview after me, I am assuming he may have not had the job since Family Video has plastered their store now (about a week after my interview) with OPEN INTERVIEW signs.

I really think Family Video could have been a great job, so maybe I am just bitter at the process but I would just suggest they concentrate more on just organization skills, people skills, movie/video game knowledge, cash register knowledge, and money handling knowledge.

Interview Questions
  • The ACT Style Test I had to take to work at a Family Video store and how they were more worried about how I am at long division in a short amount of time than my knowledge on how to use a cash register or on films or video games.   Answer Question
  • "What is 24% of 546?" Also make sure you have time to do the other 10 math questions that are similar and a few a little easier than this question in 5 minutes.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Sales Associate Interview

The interview was done during an open interview date. It was based on the stacking method. Very simple and non-stressful. Second part is a 45 minute test, which deals with math, spelling, synonymms, filing, and problem solving.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal and I thought I was interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. There were 2-3 positions available and 11 or more people interviewing for those positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal, I thought I would be interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. No really tough questions. There were more than 11 people interviewing and 2-3 positions open.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lower Burrell, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lower Burrell, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in May 2011.

It's just an easy conversation. Be sure to keep eye contact and smile!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Applied online and was called back a few days later for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager in one of the aisles of the store, not an office or anything. The manager was very nice and asked basic questions like, "Tell me about yourself." No hard questions at all, it was about a five minute interview. She told me after this interview I have to meet with the district manager, which she said could take up to three weeks and if I don't hear back from her by then she said to, "Definitely call her back." I waited three weeks and called back. She answered and said that they had already picked another candidate. I sort of feel dumb now thinking everything went very well and that she really liked me and just thought that was a normal process. If you are desperately in need of a job (like I am) do not wait around for them, even if they made you feel like they really liked you.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, asked about myself and past job experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Family Video in January 2013.

I've been interviewed by the company more than once. They'll call anyone that applies in for an interview, seeing as they are always hiring. After the first interview you may be chosen to come in for a math quiz, the quiz is sectioned and timed and there was one other person there doing it as well so it almost felt like a competition of sorts. The place is very clean cut and old fashioned, so it seems. All of the employees seem to be required to wear business casual attire. (It's a video store!) No long hair if you're a guy, no facial hair. They don't seem to care about prior experience when it comes to movies, which they should. They will ask you multiple questions that don't even apply to work in general. I've made it past the math test, but never past the DM interview after it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mount Vernon, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Family Video in October 2013.

I was given three interviews, made a 95% on the test and told that I would make a great addition to their team. I was told I would receive a call within a week telling me when to come in for training. After over a week I called the manager, who was not in and never called me back. After calling several more times and never being called back, a month passed from my interview and I gave up. Still haven't received a call!

Interview Questions

I was never told when to come in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Appleton, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Video in December 2013.

I was called within a week after applying online. The interview took place in the middle of the store with two chairs set up in the middle of an aisle. It was very loud and somewhat difficult to focus with all the televisons blaring all over the store. After the interview I was told I would receive a call later that evening. I never did so I waited a few more days and called the store. I was told by an employee that they would contact the manager. It's been about two weeks since the initial interview and I still haven't heard anything. I'm not impressed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

I received a call for an interview. I went in and stood in an isle while they asked questions then I left. My second call was for a test. This test is stupid, its in the style of an ACT. You have to score 70% or higher to be hired in. I got another call for a time to meet the district manager. I went for that and we walked around and they asked more questions. Then rammed me with a million other things I had to try to remember.

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!