Family Video

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Applied online, waited a week and went in to see what was going on. The manager wasn't there so I came in the next day when he was there and gave me an interview the next day. After the interview, I took their competence test that they give. After that test I had an interview with the district manager.

Interview Question – How would your friends describe you?   Answer Question

Marion, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview Details – interview was short and sweet...about 10 minutes. one on one withthe manager, two chairs,in the video game section.

Interview Question – as simple as is sounds, the most difficult question was,"tell me about yourself."   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online, and by the next day I got a phone call to set up an interview with the store manager.

I had the interview within that same week, we went to the game section of the store, customers were around us, it was a semi-laid back interview. The basic questions were asked 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years?' 'Why did you apply here?' 'What is your work experience?' 'Why would you be a good fit for this job?' The process was extremely short, about 10 minutes. Then the manager explained that I would take 'a simple test' and depending on whether or not I passed it they would go from there. She told me that the test would take about 45 minutes and would need to be scheduled, and it would just have basic math and reading on it.

I was scheduled to take the test about a week later. When I came in I was handed 3 pieces of scratch paper and two pencils, brought to a computer, told that the computer is 'a little outdated' so you can't use the backspace key to delete any errors you would have to highlight and press the delete key.

This 'simple test' is not simple by any means, there are 8 sections.
In one section you have to read two almost identical bits of information and count how many single character errors there are. There are about 20 of these sentences, and you get 4 minutes. Once the time is over the computer automatically moves you along.
Another was about filing, you got about 50 names and had to assign them to the right folder number based on the first few letters also timed.
Another was about finding the misspelled words and correcting them. There were about 20 of them, they were all about 6-10 characters long and it was also timed.
Another was math that if you weren't fresh out of school you would have repressed it. It was basic adding and subtracting of about 4 different amounts, multiplying with fractions and decimals, getting square roots of numbers like 4203, percentages of fractions, and long division.
Another was boxes of 4 numbers up and down and side to side, the last row and column were supposed to be the answers if you added the numbers in those lines and you had to find what number was wrong. There were about 20 of these timed at maybe 6 minutes I don't quite remember.
Another was reading paragraphs with instructions and laws then answering questions about the fine details of the material.

After taking the test I was told I would be called back the next day to be told how it went. I passed and I set up an interview with the regional manager, which was surprisingly was 2 weeks later. The same exact questions were asked during the interview, held in the same way, just a different person. Both people were friendly, both people acted like we got along very well, and yet I got told the dreaded words of "I have another interview scheduled after this one today. We're hiring multiple people, I'll call you back regardless of whether you get the job or not." I was hopeful as the interviews both went well from my perceptive, both were fun and light beat. But it's now a couple days later and I have yet to get a call.

Interview Question – Who is your role model.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Family Video

Interview Details – Had an initial interview with the manager. Then was scheduled to take a test that was definitely too difficult for a job at a video store which I barely passed then met with the district manager. They asked basic questions like "What's your greatest achievement?" and "What was a turning point for you?" They really want someone who is super energetic.

Interview Question – Who's your biggest mentor?   Answer Question

Akron, OH

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Family Video in April 2013.

Interview Details – had first interview with store manager who was polite but asked strange questions that were more about my personality than my work experience. obviously she did not even look at my application. she asked me to come in next day to interview with her assistant. he said it was for a second opinion. not sure why. but i did and he asked me similar questions but was mostly a waste of time. waited 2 days and came in to take test. prepared a little beforehand from reading reviews on here. im a junior in college for advertising at a great university, and this test was still ridiculous. ive worked in retail since my senior year of high school, and i obviously can work in a clerk job. the math test was ludacris. there was no way you could do it without a calculator. the spelling and reading was easy. but there was also math WORD problems that were insane.
i did not pass and he said he would give my app to his district manager. if he wants to, he can hire me anyways but i doubt he will care.
this is completely stupid.

Interview Question – Describe yourself in 3 words   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – The hiring process was quick and efficient! I applied online and had a call back the next day (the store is required to view these applications online everyday). I received a call from the store manager about coming in for an interview in their store and scheduled a date for me to come in. The interview lasted about five minutes or so and the manager told me that he/she liked me and asked me to come in for the skills test that they have. I came in that same week and took the test (which covers basic math skills, ability to spot errors, vocabulary, etc) and passed (you must get a 70 or higher). The manager called me soon after my test and scheduled another interview with the district manager. My final interview was about a week later where I sat one on one with the district manager and discussed my goals, reasons why I wanted to work at Family Video, and other casual conversations.

Interview Question – Describe yourself in one word.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations - you are paid a basic wage!

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – Interview was being asked questions in the front of the store, while the manager continues to work, answer phones, check out customers, and return movies. Then you get the enjoyment of taking a clerical exam, of which they give you ridiculous time limits for all of it. If you can pass that, you get to interview with the district manager. This is where they tell you that if hired, you are under a 30 day probationary period and if they simply don't like your personality, then they will let you go. What they don't tell you is by "letting you go" they mean take you off the schedule and never call you again. Awesome!

Interview Question – No real difficult questions, but doing math on the test kind of sucked when you've been out of school for a little while.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, simply here's your pay, you'll get more if we like you and you stay.

Very Easy Interview

Maumee, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Video in April 2008.

Interview Details – I applied in-store and the next day was called for an open interview at a nearby hotel and the interview went great! The people were friendly and inviting. The next day I got a call to come in for an easy assessment test. I thought, "No problem". Little did I know it was 5 sections that were timed, (5 minutes), and included long division, calculations, fractions all that in 5 minutes! everything else I got a 100% on but because I can't do what I do NOT consider "easy math" in 5 minutes I didn't get to move on to meet the district manager. I know for a fact the employees don't use that math there. They only have to add or subtract and they use calculators at that! They missed out!

Interview Question – the interview questions are all pretty easy, just asking about you   Answer Question

Des Moines, IA

I applied online and interviewed at Family Video.

Interview Details – The hiring process is a 3 step process. 1st is with the general manager, 2nd is the skills assessment, then the last part is another interview with the district manager. If you pass the first interview then you proceed to the next step which is the test. The test contains comprehension (reading), then basic math which leads into algebra, (fractions,division,multiplication,etc.), spelling, then alphabetizing. It seems more like a ACT. (Sort of tough). Each section is timed. You have to get 70% in order to pass. Once you pass that, it leads into the third step. Which is 1 step closer to employment. I just took the test today so I'm still waiting on the call. (: Good luck!

Interview Question – What is something you feel you need to improve on?   Answer Question

Brockport, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Family Video in October 2008.

Interview Details – -three part interview process; one with store manager, a skill test (basic arithmetic and customer situational questions), and one with the district manager
-if they call you, be super bubbly on the phone.. its part of the job.
-be as cheerful, polite, and happy as possible in the interview; Family Video prides themselves on great customer service so they want happy employees

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation; they give you want they want to as far as pay goes. If you have a lot of customer service experience you might be able to get more than minimum wage, but as an Assistant Manager I only made $9.00/hr. The flexible hours and easy work is a major perk though; plus there's benefits to being full time and vacation time.