Family Video Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.9

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was called back a few days later for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager in one of the aisles of the store, not an office or anything. The manager was very nice and asked basic questions like, "Tell me about yourself." No hard questions at all, it was about a five minute interview. She told me after this interview I have to meet with the district manager, which she said could take up to three weeks and if I don't hear back from her by then she said to, "Definitely call her back." I waited three weeks and called back. She answered and said that they had already picked another candidate. I sort of feel dumb now thinking everything went very well and that she really liked me and just thought that was a normal process. If you are desperately in need of a job (like I am) do not wait around for them, even if they made you feel like they really liked you.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, asked about myself and past job experience.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

I received a call for an interview. I went in and stood in an isle while they asked questions then I left. My second call was for a test. This test is stupid, its in the style of an ACT. You have to score 70% or higher to be hired in. I got another call for a time to meet the district manager. I went for that and we walked around and they asked more questions. Then rammed me with a million other things I had to try to remember.

Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Appleton, WI) in December 2013.

Interview

I was called within a week after applying online. The interview took place in the middle of the store with two chairs set up in the middle of an aisle. It was very loud and somewhat difficult to focus with all the televisons blaring all over the store. After the interview I was told I would receive a call later that evening. I never did so I waited a few more days and called the store. I was told by an employee that they would contact the manager. It's been about two weeks since the initial interview and I still haven't heard anything. I'm not impressed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wooster, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Wooster, OH) in November 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is broken down in to 3 steps. The first interview, you go in and talk to the employees, ( I believe it's to see if you fit in well there. ) and if you act like yourself (yet respectful) and let your personality shine through you'll do fine. The second part of this process is a test. It is pretty difficult, with only 45 minutes to take. The test consists of math (fractions, a sudoku-like puzzle, and square roots), some alphabetizing, and spelling and such. This test is basically used to ween out those who cannot competently and quickly think on their feet. You need to pass with at least a 70% to even get a call back for the third interview. As a 18 year old high schooler, it wasn't that hard for me since it's still fresh in my brain. I suggest studying up on your math. The third and final process of the interviews is an interview with the nearest district manager. During this, remember to dress professionally, be polite, but most importantly, let your personality stand out positively. The district manager is really going to judge you the first moment you shake their hand and you begin the process. They're looking for someone to represent the store, so you need to make sure you can show why you're the best choice!

Interview Questions

• They weren't really difficult, I got "Who is your role model?" and "Where do you see yourself in five years?" The most challenging one I think I was asked was the question "Why do you want to work for this company?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was simply given a minimum wage salary.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Applied online, waited a week and went in to see what was going on. The manager wasn't there so I came in the next day when he was there and gave me an interview the next day. After the interview, I took their competence test that they give. After that test I had an interview with the district manager.

Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Mount Vernon, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I was given three interviews, made a 95% on the test and told that I would make a great addition to their team. I was told I would receive a call within a week telling me when to come in for training. After over a week I called the manager, who was not in and never called me back. After calling several more times and never being called back, a month passed from my interview and I gave up. Still haven't received a call!

Interview Questions

I was never told when to come in.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and by the next day I got a phone call to set up an interview with the store manager. I had the interview within that same week, we went to the game section of the store, customers were around us, it was a semi-laid back interview. The basic questions were asked 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years?' 'Why did you apply here?' 'What is your work experience?' 'Why would you be a good fit for this job?' The process was extremely short, about 10 minutes. Then the manager explained that I would take 'a simple test' and depending on whether or not I passed it they would go from there. She told me that the test would take about 45 minutes and would need to be scheduled, and it would just have basic math and reading on it. I was scheduled to take the test about a week later. When I came in I was handed 3 pieces of scratch paper and two pencils, brought to a computer, told that the computer is 'a little outdated' so you can't use the backspace key to delete any errors you would have to highlight and press the delete key. This 'simple test' is not simple by any means, there are 8 sections. In one section you have to read two almost identical bits of information and count how many single character errors there are. There are about 20 of these sentences, and you get 4 minutes. Once the time is over the computer automatically moves you along. Another was about filing, you got about 50 names and had to assign them to the right folder number based on the first few letters also timed. Another was about finding the misspelled words and correcting them. There were about 20 of them, they were all about 6-10 characters long and it was also timed. Another was math that if you weren't fresh out of school you would have repressed it. It was basic adding and subtracting of about 4 different amounts, multiplying with fractions and decimals, getting square roots of numbers like 4203, percentages of fractions, and long division. Another was boxes of 4 numbers up and down and side to side, the last row and column were supposed to be the answers if you added the numbers in those lines and you had to find what number was wrong. There were about 20 of these timed at maybe 6 minutes I don't quite remember. Another was reading paragraphs with instructions and laws then answering questions about the fine details of the material. After taking the test I was told I would be called back the next day to be told how it went. I passed and I set up an interview with the regional manager, which was surprisingly was 2 weeks later. The same exact questions were asked during the interview, held in the same way, just a different person. Both people were friendly, both people acted like we got along very well, and yet I got told the dreaded words of "I have another interview scheduled after this one today. We're hiring multiple people, I'll call you back regardless of whether you get the job or not." I was hopeful as the interviews both went well from my perceptive, both were fun and light beat. But it's now a couple days later and I have yet to get a call.

Anonymous Employee in Marion, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Marion, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

interview was short and sweet...about 10 minutes. one on one withthe manager, two chairs,in the video game section.

Interview Questions

• as simple as is sounds, the most difficult question was,"tell me about yourself."   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Had an initial interview with the manager. Then was scheduled to take a test that was definitely too difficult for a job at a video store which I barely passed then met with the district manager. They asked basic questions like "What's your greatest achievement?" and "What was a turning point for you?" They really want someone who is super energetic.

Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Akron, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

had first interview with store manager who was polite but asked strange questions that were more about my personality than my work experience. obviously she did not even look at my application. she asked me to come in next day to interview with her assistant. he said it was for a second opinion. not sure why. but i did and he asked me similar questions but was mostly a waste of time. waited 2 days and came in to take test. prepared a little beforehand from reading reviews on here. im a junior in college for advertising at a great university, and this test was still ridiculous. ive worked in retail since my senior year of high school, and i obviously can work in a clerk job. the math test was ludacris. there was no way you could do it without a calculator. the spelling and reading was easy. but there was also math WORD problems that were insane. i did not pass and he said he would give my app to his district manager. if he wants to, he can hire me anyways but i doubt he will care. this is completely stupid.