Family Video Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.4

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Very different than what you'd expect. Work experience and skills are not their biggest concern they want to know who you are and the type of personality you have. you'll be asked about yourself, personal achievements, mentors, family relationships/dynamic, first job, current job, activities/hobbies, mentor, turning point in life etc. if you pass you will be asked to take a clerical test have to get at least a 70% sometimes (will make exceptions if they really liked you interview and the DM agrees) if you pass that you will interview again the the District Manager they decide for part time employees and full time employees If you are going for management (Manager in Training) you will then interview wight the regional manager they make the decision if you will be hired for the MIT position

Interview Questions

• most these questions were unexpected bc again its about your personality not your skill or experience they want to find. Very different than past interviews i have had   1 Answer

Negotiation

They won't really work with you on pay negotiation, it is set at a certain rate and they will tell you to get your store revenue up to increase your salary. (you only get .01% off the store)

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Family Video (Salem, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position after inquiring within and was contacted 24 hours later to schedule an interview. I arrived 5 minutes early to the interview but the store manager was late coming out from the back of the store to greet me, and she proceeded to wait on customers while I sat and waited to be interviewed. The questions she asked in the interview had nothing to do with my qualifications or work experience, in fact she admitted she had not even reviewed my application. During the interview, she had to pause several times to take care of customers and perform other duties. The interview itself lasted about 5 minutes and I was then asked to take a test to determine if I would be given a 2nd interview with the District Manager the following week. The various sections of the test were timed and dealt with identifying grammar mistakes, alphabetizing names, correcting spelling errors, reading paragraphs and answering related questions, and solving both basic math and advanced geometry equations. Although I am proficient in English and grammar, I found these parts of the test to be too lengthy to complete in a 4 minute interval, but she told me not to worry because "no one finishes each section." I completed the basic math problems but struggled with many of the advanced equations and consequently left most of them blank. She did not call me after the test like she said she would, so I stopped by the store later that night and was told I did not pass, despite the fact that the interviewing manager thought I was a perfect fit. I consider this their loss for choosing standardized testing as part of their hiring process, thus allowing qualified applicants to slip through the cracks. Judging by the other reviews, I feel fortunate to have not been chosen to move forward in the hiring process, up to and including employment with this company.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in August 2014.

Interview

I saw a sign asking for recent college graduates to apply to become a manager(and claimed they offered 32K with benefits, which is stretching the truth quite a bit). I was a recent college graduate and decided to give it a shot because I was having a tough time finding a job in my field. I applied online, and within a day I was scheduled for an interview. I went in for the initial interview with the Store Manager and we had a very short interview using the "stacking method" as referenced several times before. After that I took the aptitude test and passed "with flying colors". I then interviewed with the District Manager(30 minutes later than I was scheduled because she was late) and she really started pushing the point that I would have to relocate some place across the country. In retrospect, maybe she was trying to push me away, but I told her that I was willing to relocate "within a reasonable distance". She then started playing semantics and asking what a "reasonable distance" would be, and I explained my preferences. I thought that interview went quite well, and she set me up with an interview with the Regional Manager at a local restaurant, which I found rather odd, but agreed. He also showed up late, though only about 15 minutes so. We had a nice conversation, and I thought it went rather well. He told me that I would hear something the next day, and that if I didn't hear anything, to give the District Manager a call. I didn't hear anything the next day, so I called the District Manager and she informed me that they "weren't going to move forward". When I politely asked why, she responded with "I don't know, I wasn't there, but [the RM] has decided not to move forward" which I know is not true. I'm sure there was discussion, but I respect that they don't want to give out the reasons. They probably had concerns about my ability to control a staff because I don't come across as a very assertive person. I had the same doubts myself, but I'm sure I could have handled it. Overall, I was disappointed in the entire process. The interviews are held in the aisles of the store(except for my RM interview) and they are very brief. They don't really ask you any questions that pertain to the job, but keep referencing the fact that "there's a lot more than meets the eye". When I asked the District Manager to provide a specific detail that makes it more difficult than it seems, she couldn't give me an answer. The aptitude test also has next to nothing to do with the actual job. Why would I ever need to know the square root of 2046 to manage a video store? I'm disappointed that I wasn't offered the position, but it is probably for the best. The salary(24K starting) is not nearly enough to convince most people to move across the country. I was going to do the training for about 6 months, see where they wanted me to move, and then make a decision. You can hardly afford to live in an apartment on that salary after taxes.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

All about personality not experience. They want to see that you are fun, outgoing, and generally get along well with people. The ideal candidate is a community college student (if part time) who was really cool in high school but peaked and can't get anything better. For a Manager they want a degree and flexibility. If you are reading this RUN! read reviews and you will understand.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation, they lied about pay I was going to get and wouldn't tell me an exact number until pushed. When I attempted to negotiate they stopped me and said that's the offer take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Youngstown, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video (Youngstown, OH) in July 2014.

Interview

I completed the online application after seeing a sign in front of a store stating that store managers earn $35-$40k per year. Less than 12 hours later, I received a phone call from the store I applied at, and they scheduled an interview for the following week. When I arrived for my interview, I made small talk with the store manager, as she was checking movies back in and completing paperwork of some sort, which initially struck me as rude. I waited 10 minutes until she was finished before we started the interview. We walked into one of the aisle of movies and had more small talk: tell me about your hobbies and interests, who are your mentors, etc. Nothing that had anything to do with the position or their company. We were interrupted a handful of times when she had to stop the interview to go assist customers (apparently they didn't find it necessary to adequately staff their store). I waited patiently while the store manager chit chatted with customers long after their transaction was completed. I was tempted at one point to just leave, because my time didn't seem important to them. Very unprofessional in my opinion. At any rate, once we finally finished the interview she invited me to return to take an aptitude test, which was the next step in their hiring process. I scheduled the test for two days later. I arrived to take the test and expected to it on a computer after having been told what the test would entail (alphabetizing, math, etc). The same store manager who interviewed me pulled up a chair right next to the check out and handed me a clipboard with the paper test. She informed me that she would time the different sections for me while helping customers (surprise, surprise). We started the test and went through each of the sections. While taking the test, there are movies playing, customers talking, phones ringing, etc. It was nerve wracking but I understood that if I couldn't take the test in that type of setting, I wouldn't be very effective at the job since that's what a normal day would look like. When I finished, the store manager said she would call me later that day after she had time to score my test and would let me know if I had passed or failed. A few hours later, the store manager called and let me know I had passed. She then made arrangements to meet with the district manager, which was the final step in the hiring process. We scheduled that interview for two days later. When I arrived for my final interview, I had a bunch of questions that I needed answered. At no point in the process had I been told a single job responsibility, nor had I been told what (if any) training would be done, etc. The district manager also met with me in the middle of an aisle in the store. He immediately started asking me questions about why I want to work for their company, if I would be willing to re-locate, if I enjoy sales, etc. After listening to a 15 minute speech about their company, it's history and it's financial value, I was finally afforded the opportunity to ask my burning questions. I asked about salary, benefits and the opportunity for growth within the company. I was informed that the salary did NOT start at $35k as their sign had stated - I would start at $28k, and as a manager in training. I would have the opportunity to earn bonuses, which could potentially increase my yearly salary to $35k. During that training program (he could not tell me how long the training would last) I would be taught various responsibilities and would be expected to teach them back to district or regional managers to prove my competency. I asked about benefits and when they would begin - he was unable to answer that question for me. This is the final step in an interview process - anyone with half a brain is going to ask these types of questions - he should've been prepared to give me solid answers. Finally, when I asked about growth within the company, I was informed that I would be relocated to other stores whose needs best fit my skills (basically, if I'm great with increasing revenue, they could send me to middle-of-nowhere-Montana to help a particular store). I would have no opportunity to stay in the area AND work for their company. I was told that I would get a phone call in the next two days or so if they wanted to offer me the position. They called me back two days later, and I didn't answer. I had already made up my mind that I was not interested in working for the type of company I perceived them to be. In addition to the ridiculously low salary for the expectations of the job, the unclear benefits, unclear training program, and the lack of opportunity to grow with the company in my hometown, I knew the job would be one I'd hate. Since their initial phone call and offer, they have called me 3 more times and left voicemails. Part of me contemplated just answering and explaining my reason for declining the offer, but frankly, I felt I'd be wasting my breath.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were "difficult" - they were more "random" than anything... tell me about your parents, what are your hobbies, who is your mentor?   Answer Question

To be honest, I didn't think it was fair whatsoever that a manager of a store (with so much responsibility and expectations) only makes a base salary of $28k. There is the opportunity to earn more than that in bonuses, but those aren't based on the quality of your work, they're based on the sales of the store. I didn't like the idea that my quality of living would be based off of how well or how poorly my staff would do their jobs. Secondly, I was given 0 information about what type of benefits I could expect. Their website states that all full time employees receive health benefits, but when I asked when those would start, I was given no answer. That was unacceptable. Benefits are one of the most important things (especially nowadays) that job seekers inquire about. Finally, I didn't like the idea that I would have no say in my future within the company. If they wanted to relocate me, they could. And if I wanted to keep a job, I would have no choice but to move. That lifestyle may be a good fit for some people, but as a young woman interested in starting a family soon, it wasn't for me.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Family Video in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online. A few days later I got a call from the district manager for an interview. That went well, it was short and friendly. He scheduled me for a clerical test that I thought I failed but actually passed. I was told I had to meet with the regional manager and after about a week of runaround I got my interview. That was a little more professional albeit in the middle of the movie isles. I was told I'd hear something by the end of the next day. I never did hear back so at this point I'm saying they are passing on me even though I am more than qualified.

Interview Questions

• What is the thing you are most proud of in your professional life? Least proud of?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Interview goes through what Family Video calls the 'Stacking Method'. Should be asked about 1st job, followed by family, schooling, activities, greatest accomplishment, turning point in life, 5 year goal, and someone who was a mentor in your life. I always ended my interviews with why someone would want want to work for Family Video. All I ever looked for was a fun and exciting person who customers would enjoy interacting with.

Interview Questions

• There really are none, all questions are used to look at general attitude and outlook on life and work.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Family Video.

Interview

The hiring and interview process can be tedious. Managers can not hire a part time employee so there is a three step process. First interview is with in store management team. Followed by a clerical exam. Then an interview with the District manager who may be in charge of three or more stores so scheduling the final interview as a part timer may take awhile or you may have to travel to go meet them. All Management applications follow the same structure but with the added difficultly of finding time to meet with him because his primary job is to open new locations.

Interview Questions

• Interviews tend to be more conversational, trying to determine how well the person can carry a conversation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really wasn't one I took first offer, Had just gotten out of college and happy to be offered a job so quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Family Video (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process was the most unprofessional form of interviewing I had ever experienced. First of all I do not believe interviewing people on your sales floor is good for the interviewee or the customers. Some of the questions they asked were too personal and not business focused. They ask questions like what does your Mom and Dad do?! That was a question from the Regional Manager. Really some of these questions open them up to being sued for discrimination. I actually felt very uncomfortable and the 3rd interview and wanted to walk out but regretfully stuck it out. After having my schedule constantly changed, than working all closings back to back and having to come in the next morning at 8am for training I quit. This is the worst company to work for and the pay is horrible!!

Interview Questions

• Basically all of the questions were easy but VERY unprofessional and not business related.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. They obviously are not looking to pay for good leadership.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Family Video in August 2013.

Interview

Two interviews and a test for non management. If you want management you should be expected to relocate. Otherwise you will be waiting as a part time employee until something opens up. Get used to high turnover... It's retail, so you never know when someone will flake out and leave you hanging. Keep extra staff on board so you can call them in at a moments notice.